MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem - CP/M

This is a discussion on MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem - CP/M ; Well I am definetly impressed with the TurboROM. However, I did encounter a problem when trying to use Uniform to move files to/from an MS-DOS disk. I get an error message that says there isn't enough room to copy the ...

  1. MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem

    Well I am definetly impressed with the TurboROM. However, I did
    encounter a problem when trying to use Uniform to move files to/from an
    MS-DOS disk. I get an error message that says there isn't enough room
    to copy the files. It worked fine under the old ROM and CP/M 2.2H. Has
    anyone else encounter this problem or know of a fix for it?

    After using the TurboROM for a while I sure don't want to go back to
    the old system. :-(

    Thanks
    Don

  2. Re: MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem

    Don

    I got the same problem. Do'nt know a solution
    There is a DOSversion of Uniform identical to the CPM version.
    Jos
    "Don" schreef in bericht
    news:1138300759.161069.149960@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Well I am definetly impressed with the TurboROM. However, I did
    > encounter a problem when trying to use Uniform to move files to/from an
    > MS-DOS disk. I get an error message that says there isn't enough room
    > to copy the files. It worked fine under the old ROM and CP/M 2.2H. Has
    > anyone else encounter this problem or know of a fix for it?
    >
    > After using the TurboROM for a while I sure don't want to go back to
    > the old system. :-(
    >
    > Thanks
    > Don

  3. Re: MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem

    I've got the DOS version. It is so old that it will only work on a true
    XT or AT style computer and it must have a 360K 5-1/4 disk drive as the
    primary drive. I could not get it to work on my AMD K6-II 450 to save
    my life! :-( Oh well, looks like 22disk is the only answer and for that
    I have to use DOS 5.0. Speed kills.

    Don

  4. Re: MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem

    Hi All,

    Found the problem with the TurboROM and Micro Solutions Uniform on the
    Kaypro 10. It's the size of the directory on the hard drive. On my
    first setup of the hard drive I split my ST-225 as 3 partitions of
    equal size. I don't remember the size of the directory but I think it
    was something between 1800 and 2000. Uniform can't handle a directory
    of this size.

    I repartitioned the drive so that drives A and B were the maximum size
    (8192) and 2048 directory entries. The last partition (C) had the
    leftovers, about 5500 plus or minus. I set the size of the directory to
    1024. Uniform seems to be happy with this and a 5.5Meg partition is
    more than enough room for transferring files.

    The next part of the problem is the dive that uniform uses for the
    special format. On a Kaypro 10 the default CP/M drives are A, B & C.
    The default Uniform drive is C. These need to be changed. In my case
    the CP/M drives are C, 3rd partition, Floppy 1, the D drive, and Floppy
    2, the E drive.

    Uniform will ONLY talk to the first floppy drive, even if the
    Personality/Decoder board is installed and a second floppy drive is
    connected. So... I set the CP/M drives to C & E and the uniform drive
    to D and everything works fine. I can even format an MS-DOS disk; copy
    files to it and read it on my Windows machine.

    I use a 1.2Meg drive in my Windows system so I made two disks. One is
    to move files from MS-DOS to CP/M and the other is to move files from
    CP/M to MS-DOS.

    The only other step is that the files that get moved to an MS-DOS disk
    must be on the C partition or the floppy in the E drive. Files that get
    moved from an MS-DOS disk must be moved to drive C (hard drive) or
    drive E (floppy drive 2).

    Don

  5. Re: MicroSolutions Uniform and the TurboROM problem

    On 9 Feb 2006 18:03:55 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Found the problem with the TurboROM and Micro Solutions Uniform on the
    >Kaypro 10. It's the size of the directory on the hard drive. On my
    >first setup of the hard drive I split my ST-225 as 3 partitions of
    >equal size. I don't remember the size of the directory but I think it
    >was something between 1800 and 2000. Uniform can't handle a directory
    >of this size.
    >
    >I repartitioned the drive so that drives A and B were the maximum size
    >(8192) and 2048 directory entries. The last partition (C) had the
    >leftovers, about 5500 plus or minus. I set the size of the directory to
    >1024. Uniform seems to be happy with this and a 5.5Meg partition is
    >more than enough room for transferring files.
    >
    >The next part of the problem is the dive that uniform uses for the
    >special format. On a Kaypro 10 the default CP/M drives are A, B & C.
    >The default Uniform drive is C. These need to be changed. In my case
    >the CP/M drives are C, 3rd partition, Floppy 1, the D drive, and Floppy
    >2, the E drive.
    >
    >Uniform will ONLY talk to the first floppy drive, even if the
    >Personality/Decoder board is installed and a second floppy drive is
    >connected. So... I set the CP/M drives to C & E and the uniform drive
    >to D and everything works fine. I can even format an MS-DOS disk; copy
    >files to it and read it on my Windows machine.
    >
    >I use a 1.2Meg drive in my Windows system so I made two disks. One is
    >to move files from MS-DOS to CP/M and the other is to move files from
    >CP/M to MS-DOS.
    >
    >The only other step is that the files that get moved to an MS-DOS disk
    >must be on the C partition or the floppy in the E drive. Files that get
    >moved from an MS-DOS disk must be moved to drive C (hard drive) or
    >drive E (floppy drive 2).
    >
    >Don

    Great info!

    I'll save this for when I get stage of experimenting with my Kaypro 10
    :-)

    Brian

+ Reply to Thread