VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive - CP/M

This is a discussion on VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive - CP/M ; Hi All, Thanks to Steven Hirsh and Gene Buckle, VEDIT Plus v2.33b is now available at http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm Some license text needs to be added and I have sent that to Gene, but you should be able to download and enjoy. ...

  1. VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    Hi All,

    Thanks to Steven Hirsh and Gene Buckle, VEDIT Plus v2.33b is now available
    at http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm

    Some license text needs to be added and I have sent that to Gene, but you
    should be able to download and enjoy.

    Has anyone been able to help out with a copy of the manual?

    Max.

  2. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    Max Scane wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Thanks to Steven Hirsh and Gene Buckle, VEDIT Plus v2.33b is now available
    > at http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm

    It's Hirsch, but you are welcome nonetheless!

    > Some license text needs to be added and I have sent that to Gene, but you
    > should be able to download and enjoy.
    >
    > Has anyone been able to help out with a copy of the manual?

    I found the manual after a chilly expedition to the attic. It is, as I
    recalled, in one of those small 3-ring binders made popular by the IBM PC
    docs. It's too large for me to consider copying on a flatbed scanner. Sorry.

    Did anyone ask Ted Green if he has a machine-readable version of the docs?
    They were common to the PC, CP/M-80 and CP/M-86 versions, so it's possible he
    does.

    Steve

  3. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    "Steven Hirsch" wrote in message
    news:V6OdnT28s_F0GUnanZ2dnUVZ_ubinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Max Scane wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Thanks to Steven Hirsh and Gene Buckle, VEDIT Plus v2.33b is now

    available
    > > at http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm

    > It's Hirsch, but you are welcome nonetheless!

    My apologies !!

    > > Some license text needs to be added and I have sent that to Gene, but

    you
    > > should be able to download and enjoy.
    > >
    > > Has anyone been able to help out with a copy of the manual?

    > I found the manual after a chilly expedition to the attic. It is, as I
    > recalled, in one of those small 3-ring binders made popular by the IBM PC
    > docs. It's too large for me to consider copying on a flatbed scanner.

    Sorry.

    > Did anyone ask Ted Green if he has a machine-readable version of the docs?
    > They were common to the PC, CP/M-80 and CP/M-86 versions, so it's possible

    he
    > does.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes, he asked to be notified when something was posted and I have asked if
    he has a machine readable manual available.

  4. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:47:25 -0500, Robert J. Stevens wrote:

    > snipped
    > Does anyone have an Editor for CP/M-80 2.2 that can be patched to ignore
    > errors.
    > I have one file on a SSSD 8" floppy that has a bad sector in it. TYPE
    > Will see part of the file then Bombs
    > TIA
    > Bob in Wisconsin

    Use a sector editor - du or superzap something similar.

  5. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    Max Scane wrote:

    > Yes, he asked to be notified when something was posted and I have asked if
    > he has a machine readable manual available.

    I was poking around in the garage yesterday and found a copy of the
    VEDIT manual in a standard 3-ring binder. When I'm done with some more
    pressing matters , I'll see about scanning it with a sheetfed scanner I
    have access to.

    --
    David Griffith

  6. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    Hello Bob,

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > snipped
    > Does anyone have an Editor for CP/M-80 2.2 that can be patched to ignore
    > errors.
    > I have one file on a SSSD 8" floppy that has a bad sector in it. TYPE
    > Will see part of the file then Bombs
    > TIA
    > Bob in Wisconsin

    Does your BIOS give any choice of action when it cannot read a sector?
    My CP/M BIOSes offer choices similar to the IBM PC Abort, Retry, Ignore.
    If there is a bad sector in a text file I use PIP to make a copy and
    when the bad sector appears I try Retry a few times and if that doesn't
    work then use Ignore. Often most of the data in the sector is OK but the
    CRC doesn't match. If your BIOS doesn't allow continuing then try a
    disk copying program. That might have better error handling ability.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

  7. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    snipped
    Does anyone have an Editor for CP/M-80 2.2 that can be patched to ignore
    errors.
    I have one file on a SSSD 8" floppy that has a bad sector in it. TYPE
    Will see part of the file then Bombs
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin

  8. Re: VEDIT now available at the Retrocomputing Archive

    Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:
    > Hello Bob,
    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >> snipped
    >> Does anyone have an Editor for CP/M-80 2.2 that can be patched to
    >> ignore errors.
    >> I have one file on a SSSD 8" floppy that has a bad sector in it. TYPE
    >> Will see part of the file then Bombs
    >> TIA
    >> Bob in Wisconsin

    > Does your BIOS give any choice of action when it cannot read a sector?
    > My CP/M BIOSes offer choices similar to the IBM PC Abort, Retry, Ignore.
    > If there is a bad sector in a text file I use PIP to make a copy and
    > when the bad sector appears I try Retry a few times and if that doesn't
    > work then use Ignore. Often most of the data in the sector is OK but the
    > CRC doesn't match. If your BIOS doesn't allow continuing then try a
    > disk copying program. That might have better error handling ability

    Jeffrey W. Shook
    I was able to get some of it with PIP. Got to try another COPY.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread