S: VEDIT for CP/M-80 - CP/M

This is a discussion on S: VEDIT for CP/M-80 - CP/M ; Hi all, subject says it all: Does anybody has the binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version. Thanks in advance, Uwe....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    Hi all,

    subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.

    Thanks in advance,

    Uwe.

  2. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:03:03 +0000 (UTC), Uwe Nass
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    > subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    >binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    >I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    >only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Uwe.

    Binaries were never released. VEDIT would be a PC
    DOS product for many years after CP/M and may still
    be available. So it's copyright is likely still protected
    or deserving of inquery.

    Allison

  3. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > Uwe Nass wrote:
    >
    >> subject says it all: Does anybody has the binaries of VEDIT for
    >> CP/M-80 or knows where I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there
    >> are only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.

    > Binaries were never released. VEDIT would be a PC DOS product
    > for many years after CP/M and may still be available. So it's
    > copyright is likely still protected or deserving of inquery.

    I seem to favorably remember using a CP/M version of Vedit. So
    either my memory has dropped many bits, or there were binaries out
    there.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    "Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    > binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    > I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    > only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Uwe.

    I enquired with the vendor some time ago. The response was as follows:

    "Sorry, but we do not have any old CP/M versions of VEDIT available. We do
    not know if we even have archive copies of the software, and then would not
    have a method of duplicating CP/M disks."

  5. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    Max Scane wrote:
    > "Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    >> binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    >> I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    >> only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    > I enquired with the vendor some time ago. The response was as follows:
    >
    > "Sorry, but we do not have any old CP/M versions of VEDIT available. We do
    > not know if we even have archive copies of the software, and then would not
    > have a method of duplicating CP/M disks."

    Then the obvious question would be "That being the case, would you have any
    objections to another owner duplicating them for me?".

  6. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:53:53 -0500, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> Uwe Nass wrote:
    >>
    >>> subject says it all: Does anybody has the binaries of VEDIT for
    >>> CP/M-80 or knows where I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there
    >>> are only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.

    >> Binaries were never released. VEDIT would be a PC DOS product
    >> for many years after CP/M and may still be available. So it's
    >> copyright is likely still protected or deserving of inquery.

    >I seem to favorably remember using a CP/M version of Vedit. So
    >either my memory has dropped many bits, or there were binaries out
    >there.

    I still use it. Nice visual editor with command line capabilities
    matching Teco and the same command set too.

    Didn't say binaries may not have been posted but it is product and
    as far as I know not released as freeware. For CP/M-80 it might be
    worth asking but CP/M-86 and DOS might be different.

    Pointer to current product page: http://vedit.com

    and one for their history page: http://vedit.com/20Years.htm

    Allison

    >--
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  7. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:38:44 GMT, "Max Scane"
    wrote:

    >"Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    >> binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    >> I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    >> only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    >I enquired with the vendor some time ago. The response was as follows:
    >
    >"Sorry, but we do not have any old CP/M versions of VEDIT available. We do
    >not know if we even have archive copies of the software, and then would not
    >have a method of duplicating CP/M disks."

    Get permission and post it and there are plenty of people who can
    duplicate it.

    Allison

  8. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    In article <47C38D51.70F912F8@yahoo.com>,
    CBFalconer writes:
    > no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> Uwe Nass wrote:
    >>
    >>> subject says it all: Does anybody has the binaries of VEDIT for
    >>> CP/M-80 or knows where I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there
    >>> are only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.

    >> Binaries were never released. VEDIT would be a PC DOS product
    >> for many years after CP/M and may still be available. So it's
    >> copyright is likely still protected or deserving of inquery.

    > I seem to favorably remember using a CP/M version of Vedit. So
    > either my memory has dropped many bits, or there were binaries out
    > there.

    I think your right. I think I have a copy that came with my Pickles&Trout
    CPM many years ago. But, as has been stated elsewhere in this thread it
    is still copyrighted material and can not be freely distributed wether
    the owner still sells it or not.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    In article ,
    "Max Scane" writes:

    > "Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    >> binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    >> I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    >> only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    > I enquired with the vendor some time ago. The response was as follows:
    >
    > "Sorry, but we do not have any old CP/M versions of VEDIT available. We do
    > not know if we even have archive copies of the software, and then would not
    > have a method of duplicating CP/M disks."

    Do you still remember who you spoke with? Why not see if they will grant
    permission for the 8080/Z80 version to be distributed?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    (snip)

    > I still use it. Nice visual editor with command line capabilities
    > matching Teco and the same command set too.

    Did anyone here ever use stevie on any system? It was originally
    a port of vi to the Atari ST (ST Editor for VI Enthusiasts)

    In the OS/2 1.0 days I ported it as a bound executable.
    (That can be run on OS/2 or MSDOS.)

    It is fairly small and would probably fit in CP/M.

    -- glen

  11. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:03:03 UTC, Uwe Nass wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > subject says it all: Does anybody has the
    > binaries of VEDIT for CP/M-80 or knows where
    > I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    > only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Uwe.

    Even I have only the '86 version here.

    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...dit+/info.html
    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...it+/readme.txt

    You should try to use ZDE or VDE as they are even useable or use ws4.-)

    --
    Greetings

    Fritz Chwolka

  12. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    > Even I have only the '86 version here.
    >
    > http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...dit+/info.html
    > http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi.../vedit+/readme...

    > Fritz Chwolka

    The readme file for Vedit86 on Fritz' site sounds very "corporate", as
    if this was an official release to the public domain. I still have
    have the distribution disk for Vedit 3.31 and a backup disk labeled "8
    bit Vedit - Vedit 1.38d, Vedit Plus 2.31b" as well as the original
    invoice showing an upgrade to the 1.38product. I also have the
    distribution disk for CP/M-86 Concurrent Vedit 1.38. In addition, I
    have invoices for MSDOS/IBM-PC memory mapped and CRT versions but I
    can't find binaries.

    I will email Ted Green tomorrow to followup on permission to release
    these versions. If the CP/M-86 version was truly released by Vedit, I
    can't imagine that he won't be willing to release the CP/M versions as
    well.

    If someone has already re-initiated contact with Ted for this purpose,
    please let me know ASAP so we won't be duplicating efforts.

    Jack

  13. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    Max Scane wrote:
    > "Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    >>
    >> subject says it all: Does anybody has the binaries of VEDIT for
    >> CP/M-80 or knows where I can find them? On RLEE's CDROM there are
    >> only the .doc files and the CP/M-86 version.

    > I enquired with the vendor some time ago. The response was as\
    > follows:
    >
    > "Sorry, but we do not have any old CP/M versions of VEDIT
    > available. We do not know if we even have archive copies of
    > the software, and then would not have a method of duplicating
    > CP/M disks."

    >From this thread there are binaries out there. All that is really

    needed is a release from Vedit to allow their distribution (for
    CP/M 80).

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: S: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    JackRubin blessed us with this gem On 27/02/2008 21:26:

    > The readme file for Vedit86 on Fritz' site sounds very "corporate",

    It it posted together with the binaries for CP/M-86 and says: "It is
    made freely available on an "As-is" basis."

    As you said, since they're releasing the CP/M-86 version, it would seem
    likely they wouldn't have a problem with distributing the CP/M-80
    version as well, but it's best to check. Perhaps someone could even mail
    Ted a copy :-)

    CJ

  15. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article ,

    > Do you still remember who you spoke with? Why not see if they will grant
    > permission for the 8080/Z80 version to be distributed?
    >
    > bill

    Ok, I have some very good news.

    I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    non-commercial use.

    Ted has asked me to mention that the "current" legalese will be available at
    http://www.vedit.com/cpm, and while the details might change over time, the
    basic concept that the CP/M versions of VEDIT can now be freely shared for
    non-commercial purposes, will never be rescinded.

    I have reproduced the full details below:

    Greenview Data Inc. (formerly CompuView Products, Inc.) of Ann Arbor,
    Michigan and Theodore Green, the copyright holders to the VEDIT (R) computer
    software, maintain their copyright, but as of Jan. 01, 2008 allow the CP/M
    and CP/M-86 versions of VEDIT to be freely shared without licensing or
    royalty fees between individuals and organizations for non-commercial
    purposes, as long as the software's copyright messages are not altered or
    removed and the software is not substantially altered. For this purpose,
    "non-commercial" means that the sharing party will not receive any
    compensation for the software, and that the software is not to be included
    or bundled in any commercial product, software, book, electronic media or
    other distribution method.

    Specifically the VEDIT software owners allow the CP/M and CP/M-86 versions
    to be placed on any website for free downloading if the following notice is
    included:

    By downloading this obsolete, unsupported software, to be used only "as-is"
    for non-commercial purposes, you agree to the following terms. You further
    agree that it is the complete and exclusive statement of the Agreement
    between us which supersedes any proposal or prior agreement, oral or
    written, or any other communications between us relating to the licensing or
    use of this software.

    * The VEDIT software is copyright (R) Greenview Data, Inc. (formerly
    CompuView Products, Inc.) and Theodore Green. Current software and history
    is available at http://www.vedit.com. All copies or modifications must
    include Greenview's copyright notice. Title to the ownership of the
    software, whether in original, partial or modified form, shall at all times
    remain with Greenview.

    * DISCLAIMER: THIS IS OBSOLETE, UNSUPPORTED SOFTWARE TO BE USED "AS-IS" FOR
    EVALUATION AND HOBBY PURPOSES ONLY. THE SOFTWARE MAY HAVE BEEN ALTERED SINCE
    ITS ORIGINAL RELEASE AND TESTING. ASSUME THAT THE SOFTWARE MAY CRASH,
    CORRUPT FILES OR DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER.

    GREENVIEW DATA, INC AND THEODORE GREEN MAKE NO CLAIMS OR WARRANTIES WITH
    RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT WILL
    GREENVIEW DATA, INC. OR THEODORE GREEN BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST
    SAVINGS OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO LOST DATA OR DAMAGED EQUIPMENT. ANY STATED OR EXPRESS WARRANTIES
    ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OBLIGATIONS OR LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT
    NOT LIMITED TO SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE LICENSED HEREUNDER.

    * The CP/M and CP/M-86 versions of VEDIT may be freely shared without
    licensing or royalty fees between individuals and organizations for
    non-commercial purposes, as long as the software's copyright messages are
    not altered or removed and the software is not substantially altered. For
    this purpose, "non-commercial" means that the sharing party will not receive
    any compensation for the software, and that the software is not to be
    included or bundled in any commercial product, software, book, electronic
    media or other distribution method.

    * The VEDIT software owners allow the CP/M and CP/M-86 versions to be placed
    on any website for free downloading if a proper notification and disclaimer
    is included on the website. The proper notification can be found at:
    http://www.vedit.com/cpm.htm

  16. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    Max Scane wrote:
    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >> In article ,

    >> Do you still remember who you spoke with? Why not see if they will grant
    >> permission for the 8080/Z80 version to be distributed?
    >>
    >> bill

    > Ok, I have some very good news.
    >
    > I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    > sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    > non-commercial use.
    >
    > Ted has asked me to mention that the "current" legalese will be available at
    > http://www.vedit.com/cpm, and while the details might change over time, the
    > basic concept that the CP/M versions of VEDIT can now be freely shared for
    > non-commercial purposes, will never be rescinded.

    Hi Max,

    I found the "current" legalese at http://www.vedit.com/cpm.htm
    but no software. Any hints?

    Regards and thanks for your efforts,

    Uwe.

  17. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    "Uwe Nass" wrote in message
    > Max Scane wrote:
    > > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > >> In article ,

    > >> Do you still remember who you spoke with? Why not see if they will

    grant
    > >> permission for the 8080/Z80 version to be distributed?
    > >>
    > >> bill

    > > Ok, I have some very good news.
    > >
    > > I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    > > sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    > > non-commercial use.
    > >
    > > Ted has asked me to mention that the "current" legalese will be

    available at
    > > http://www.vedit.com/cpm, and while the details might change over time,

    the
    > > basic concept that the CP/M versions of VEDIT can now be freely shared

    for
    > > non-commercial purposes, will never be rescinded.
    > >

    > Hi Max,
    >
    > I found the "current" legalese at http://www.vedit.com/cpm.htm
    > but no software. Any hints?
    >
    > Regards and thanks for your efforts,
    >
    > Uwe.

    Hi Uwe, that is correct. Ted no longer has any copies of Vedit for cp/m
    available on the web site. However he have given permission for anyone who
    does have a copy to freely and legally share it with others who may be
    interested, subject to the conditions laid out at
    http://www.vedit.com/cpm.htm.

    I think Alison had offered to provide a copy if permission was obtained.
    Others may be able to assist as well.

    Lets keep our fingers crossed!

  18. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    Max Scane wrote:
    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message

    > Ok, I have some very good news.
    >
    > I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    > sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    > non-commercial use.

    If no one else comes up with it, I have Vedit Plus 2.33b for CP/M. This is a
    generic version on two 8" SSSD diskettes.

    Steve

  19. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:20:35 -0500, Steven Hirsch
    wrote:

    >Max Scane wrote:
    >> "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message

    >> Ok, I have some very good news.
    >>
    >> I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    >> sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    >> non-commercial use.

    >If no one else comes up with it, I have Vedit Plus 2.33b for CP/M. This is a
    >generic version on two 8" SSSD diskettes.

    Thats way newer than any I have. I stopped with either 1.5 or 1.6.
    However I can supply them electronically to any one that can archive
    them.

    What more important than the binaries are the related config files
    and the manual. I can't (I can but way too slowly) scan the manual
    and it's really needed, most importantly the sections on
    configuration. Vedit was configurable for any terminal (or memory
    mapped video) and what keys do what were assignable
    so any random copy of Vedit will have the last assignemnt and
    may not work for a given user.

    It might be good to supply Ted with a copy of both the 8080/z0
    and 8086 versions.

    Allison

    >Steve

  20. Re: VEDIT for CP/M-80

    \
    >> > I managed to contact Ted Green and he has kindly agreed to allow free
    >> > sharing of existing copies of Vedit for cp/m. This is as long as it for
    >> > non-commercial use.
    >> >
    >> > Ted has asked me to mention that the "current" legalese will be

    >available at
    >> > http://www.vedit.com/cpm, and while the details might change over time,

    >Ted no longer has any copies of Vedit for cp/m
    >available on the web site. However he have given permission for anyone who
    >does have a copy to freely and legally share it with others who may be
    >interested, subject to the conditions laid out at
    >http://www.vedit.com/cpm.htm.

    I'll be happy to make disk images available in the applications area of
    my site if anyone can send them.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com