Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF - CP/M

This is a discussion on Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF - CP/M ; Those of you playing with the CP/M PL/M-80 sources probably have noticed, that the compiler doesn't stop reading input at the CP/M EOF (CNTL-Z). The program seteof.com is supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't work, at least not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    Those of you playing with the CP/M PL/M-80 sources probably have noticed,
    that the compiler doesn't stop reading input at the CP/M EOF (CNTL-Z).
    The program seteof.com is supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't
    work, at least not with version 3.1 of the compiler.

    A possible solution for the problem is as follows:
    Remove the trailing CNTL-@'s from the source files with an editor, the
    NULL characters are in there from transporting the files from disks and I
    haven't cleaned out the junk everywhere. Then fill the last record of the
    file including the EOF character 0x1a completely with CR characters 0x0d.
    The compiler ignores empty lines just with CR and so no errors anymore.

    A new seteof.com program needs to be written, which just does that and the
    NULL chars must be removed from the sources. Because my spare time is
    limited it's going to need a while until I repaired the crap, so I though
    I let you know already.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  2. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > Those of you playing with the CP/M PL/M-80 sources probably have noticed,
    > that the compiler doesn't stop reading input at the CP/M EOF (CNTL-Z).
    > The program seteof.com is supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't
    > work, at least not with version 3.1 of the compiler.
    >
    > A possible solution for the problem is as follows:
    > Remove the trailing CNTL-@'s from the source files with an editor, the
    > NULL characters are in there from transporting the files from disks and I
    > haven't cleaned out the junk everywhere. Then fill the last record of the
    > file including the EOF character 0x1a completely with CR characters 0x0d.
    > The compiler ignores empty lines just with CR and so no errors anymore.
    >
    > A new seteof.com program needs to be written, which just does that and the
    > NULL chars must be removed from the sources. Because my spare time is
    > limited it's going to need a while until I repaired the crap, so I though
    > I let you know already.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    What environment are you compiling this in? ISIS emulator for DOS?

    IIRC, ISIS file structure resolved files to the byte in size. CP/M
    files, if text, ended with an EOF character in the file stream, but the
    file structure only resolved size to the cluster. So there could be up
    to the cluster size minus 1 of undefined bytes at the end of a text file
    in CP/M.

    So, I would suspect that if you can set the file size correctly (to the
    byte) in the file structure being used to compile in, then the PL/M-80
    compiler would work ok.

    ISIS file read operating system calls will continue reading bytes of
    files until the end-of-file as reported by the directory information.
    The ISIS emulator for DOS would surely mimic that behavior.

  3. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:06:51 -0500, Dave Mabry wrote:

    > What environment are you compiling this in? ISIS emulator for DOS?

    No, CP/M.

    > IIRC, ISIS file structure resolved files to the byte in size. CP/M
    > files, if text, ended with an EOF character in the file stream, but the
    > file structure only resolved size to the cluster. So there could be up
    > to the cluster size minus 1 of undefined bytes at the end of a text file
    > in CP/M.

    Correct, that is the problem and the compiler is reading the bytes
    including the EOF and complaining.

    > So, I would suspect that if you can set the file size correctly (to the
    > byte) in the file structure being used to compile in, then the PL/M-80
    > compiler would work ok.

    Can't be done, CP/M uses the cluster size and the EOF char, that's how
    the system was designed.

    > ISIS file read operating system calls will continue reading bytes of
    > files until the end-of-file as reported by the directory information.
    > The ISIS emulator for DOS would surely mimic that behavior.

    The CP/M ISIS emulator won't and the PL/M-80 compiler is not prepared to
    run in such an environment. The ISIS assembler works ok, it stops reading
    the file after the END statement.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  4. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:06:51 -0500, Dave Mabry wrote:
    >

    >>What environment are you compiling this in? ISIS emulator for DOS?

    > No, CP/M.

    I didn't know there was an ISIS emulator for CP/M. Guess I never saw it
    in the past because my CP/M machine was an Intel MDS.

    snip...

    >>ISIS file read operating system calls will continue reading bytes of
    >>files until the end-of-file as reported by the directory information.
    >>The ISIS emulator for DOS would surely mimic that behavior.

    > The CP/M ISIS emulator won't and the PL/M-80 compiler is not prepared to
    > run in such an environment. The ISIS assembler works ok, it stops reading
    > the file after the END statement.

    If you want to try it, I can send you a newer version of PL/M-80. Seems
    to me that V4.0 was "current" when it went end-of-life. E-mail me
    privately if you are interested and I'll try to round it up.

  5. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:24:29 -0500, Dave Mabry wrote:

    > I didn't know there was an ISIS emulator for CP/M. Guess I never saw it
    > in the past because my CP/M machine was an Intel MDS.

    There is one for DOS, for CP/M and there must have been one for the VAX.
    I have used Intel MDS and the Siemes clone at work only, in Germany the
    machines were very expensive, so I never had one my self. Nowadays I don't
    want one anymore, I can emulate the old machines on UNIX systems very
    well. That's what this is all about, see http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    > If you want to try it, I can send you a newer version of PL/M-80. Seems
    > to me that V4.0 was "current" when it went end-of-life. E-mail me
    > privately if you are interested and I'll try to round it up.

    Thanks for the kind offer I appreciate it, but I cannot make use of it.
    This is a public project about creating DRI source distributions, which
    can be compiled on an emulated CP/M machine. All the DRI sources have been
    released to the public for hobby usage. That includes some version of ISIS
    emulator with PL/M-80 v3.1, some version of the assembler and tools needed
    to build the DRI OS's from sources. The Intel material was distributed
    with their permission by Caldera, so I assume I can use it for such a
    hobby project. I can't redistribute other Intel products without their
    permission of course. So I make the stuff working that has been released
    to the public before.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  6. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    Re: "CP/M files, if text, ended with an EOF character in the file
    stream, but the file structure only resolved size to the cluster."

    Close, but not quite; not to the cluster, but to the 128-byte record
    (logical sector).

    Dave Mabry wrote:
    > Udo Munk wrote:
    >> Those of you playing with the CP/M PL/M-80 sources probably have noticed,
    >> that the compiler doesn't stop reading input at the CP/M EOF (CNTL-Z).
    >> The program seteof.com is supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't
    >> work, at least not with version 3.1 of the compiler.
    >>
    >> A possible solution for the problem is as follows:
    >> Remove the trailing CNTL-@'s from the source files with an editor, the
    >> NULL characters are in there from transporting the files from disks and I
    >> haven't cleaned out the junk everywhere. Then fill the last record of the
    >> file including the EOF character 0x1a completely with CR characters 0x0d.
    >> The compiler ignores empty lines just with CR and so no errors anymore.
    >>
    >> A new seteof.com program needs to be written, which just does that and
    >> the
    >> NULL chars must be removed from the sources. Because my spare time is
    >> limited it's going to need a while until I repaired the crap, so I though
    >> I let you know already.
    >>
    >> Udo Munk

    > What environment are you compiling this in? ISIS emulator for DOS?
    >
    > IIRC, ISIS file structure resolved files to the byte in size. CP/M
    > files, if text, ended with an EOF character in the file stream, but the
    > file structure only resolved size to the cluster. So there could be up
    > to the cluster size minus 1 of undefined bytes at the end of a text file
    > in CP/M.
    >
    > So, I would suspect that if you can set the file size correctly (to the
    > byte) in the file structure being used to compile in, then the PL/M-80
    > compiler would work ok.
    >
    > ISIS file read operating system calls will continue reading bytes of
    > files until the end-of-file as reported by the directory information.
    > The ISIS emulator for DOS would surely mimic that behavior.

  7. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    For single files a simple solution is to add a line with the text EOF at the
    end of the main code and before the CPM eof characters. This will prevent
    reading of the CPM EOF char (control Z). If there are include files then
    padding these with spaces to a 128 boundary should work as will commenting
    out the control Zs to end on a 128 boundary.

    Mark Ogden

    "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.11.13.21.50.02.364655@unix4fun.org...
    > Those of you playing with the CP/M PL/M-80 sources probably have noticed,
    > that the compiler doesn't stop reading input at the CP/M EOF (CNTL-Z).
    > The program seteof.com is supposed to fix this problem, but it doesn't
    > work, at least not with version 3.1 of the compiler.
    >
    > A possible solution for the problem is as follows:
    > Remove the trailing CNTL-@'s from the source files with an editor, the
    > NULL characters are in there from transporting the files from disks and I
    > haven't cleaned out the junk everywhere. Then fill the last record of the
    > file including the EOF character 0x1a completely with CR characters 0x0d.
    > The compiler ignores empty lines just with CR and so no errors anymore.
    >
    > A new seteof.com program needs to be written, which just does that and the
    > NULL chars must be removed from the sources. Because my spare time is
    > limited it's going to need a while until I repaired the crap, so I though
    > I let you know already.
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

  8. Re: Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:53:07 +0000, Mark Ogden wrote:

    > For single files a simple solution is to add a line with the text EOF at the
    > end of the main code and before the CPM eof characters. This will prevent
    > reading of the CPM EOF char (control Z). If there are include files then
    > padding these with spaces to a 128 boundary should work as will commenting
    > out the control Zs to end on a 128 boundary.
    >
    > Mark Ogden

    Interesting, thanks a lot for the info, I have to try out that one with
    the EOF text.
    Padding with spaces was my first idea too, didn't work on some files, the
    compiler then complained about source line too long.
    Padding with CR's worked ok, I wrote a little assembler program for that.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  9. Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Thanks Udo, for your work on the Z80pack. It makes me want to dig out
    the old code for alittle 8-bit fun!

    I tried compiling the PLMSAMP.PLM under the ISIS PLM80, but this won't
    work. It turns out that the filename length under ISIS is 6 characters
    max., 6.3 is the ISIS filespec.

    Changing the filename to PLMSAM.PLM allows it to compile, however there
    are errors. The Source doesn't start with the DO keyword, designating
    the start of a DO block. This tells me that this PLMSAMP.PLM is for an
    earlier PLM80 Compiler version. Does anyone have some more they could
    tell me about this, such as a PLM80 version 1.0 is required? Or has
    someone succeeded where I haven't? The lack of an initial DO is also
    the case for the source BDOS.PLM copyright 1975 by GK. So for
    completeness, I would like to find a way (the right version of
    compiler) to compile this as well. But it is quite possible that only
    the vax version of PLM will handle these without error.

    TIA,

    Steve

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:24:29 -0500, Dave Mabry wrote:
    >
    > > I didn't know there was an ISIS emulator for CP/M. Guess I never saw it
    > > in the past because my CP/M machine was an Intel MDS.

    > There is one for DOS, for CP/M and there must have been one for the VAX.
    > I have used Intel MDS and the Siemes clone at work only, in Germany the
    > machines were very expensive, so I never had one my self. Nowadays I don't
    > want one anymore, I can emulate the old machines on UNIX systems very
    > well. That's what this is all about, see http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >
    > > If you want to try it, I can send you a newer version of PL/M-80. Seems
    > > to me that V4.0 was "current" when it went end-of-life. E-mail me
    > > privately if you are interested and I'll try to round it up.

    > Thanks for the kind offer I appreciate it, but I cannot make use of it.
    > This is a public project about creating DRI source distributions, which
    > can be compiled on an emulated CP/M machine. All the DRI sources have been
    > released to the public for hobby usage. That includes some version of ISIS
    > emulator with PL/M-80 v3.1, some version of the assembler and tools needed
    > to build the DRI OS's from sources. The Intel material was distributed
    > with their permission by Caldera, so I assume I can use it for such a
    > hobby project. I can't redistribute other Intel products without their
    > permission of course. So I make the stuff working that has been released
    > to the public before.
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

  10. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:53:42 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:

    > Thanks Udo, for your work on the Z80pack. It makes me want to dig out
    > the old code for alittle 8-bit fun!

    Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm having a lot of fun too.

    > I tried compiling the PLMSAMP.PLM under the ISIS PLM80, but this won't
    > work. It turns out that the filename length under ISIS is 6 characters
    > max., 6.3 is the ISIS filespec.

    Hm, where is this example from?

    > Changing the filename to PLMSAM.PLM allows it to compile, however there
    > are errors. The Source doesn't start with the DO keyword, designating
    > the start of a DO block. This tells me that this PLMSAMP.PLM is for an
    > earlier PLM80 Compiler version. Does anyone have some more they could
    > tell me about this, such as a PLM80 version 1.0 is required? Or has

    Available are version 3.1 (CP/M 2 source disks) and version 4.0 (CP/M 3
    and MP/M source disks). They seem to differ quit a bit with the language
    support, I would try the 3.1 release.

    > someone succeeded where I haven't? The lack of an initial DO is also
    > the case for the source BDOS.PLM copyright 1975 by GK. So for
    > completeness, I would like to find a way (the right version of compiler)
    > to compile this as well. But it is quite possible that only the vax
    > version of PLM will handle these without error.

    At gaby.de there is also an earlier version written in Fortran only, which
    would build on UNIX with Fortran compilers like f77 and f95. Oh and that
    archive includes a file PLMSAMP.PLM too, so that compiler should work.

    I have not had a look at the Vax version yet, because of the described
    bootstrap problem. Seems that one module was written in PL/M and needs to
    be rewritten into Fortran, to get rid of that problem. Maybe sometime...

    Hope this helps,
    Udo
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  11. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:53:42 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Udo, for your work on the Z80pack. It makes me want to dig out
    > > the old code for alittle 8-bit fun!

    > Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm having a lot of fun too.
    >
    > > I tried compiling the PLMSAMP.PLM under the ISIS PLM80, but this won't
    > > work. It turns out that the filename length under ISIS is 6 characters
    > > max., 6.3 is the ISIS filespec.

    > Hm, where is this example from?

    It is in plm80x80.zip from Gaby's site.

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/plm80x80.zip

    IIRC there is also an early version of load.plm without the initial DO,
    not sure where it is at.

    > > Changing the filename to PLMSAM.PLM allows it to compile, however there
    > > are errors. The Source doesn't start with the DO keyword, designating
    > > the start of a DO block. This tells me that this PLMSAMP.PLM is for an
    > > earlier PLM80 Compiler version. Does anyone have some more they could
    > > tell me about this, such as a PLM80 version 1.0 is required? Or has

    > Available are version 3.1 (CP/M 2 source disks) and version 4.0 (CP/M 3
    > and MP/M source disks). They seem to differ quit a bit with the language
    > support, I would try the 3.1 release.
    >
    > > someone succeeded where I haven't? The lack of an initial DO is also
    > > the case for the source BDOS.PLM copyright 1975 by GK. So for
    > > completeness, I would like to find a way (the right version of compiler)
    > > to compile this as well. But it is quite possible that only the vax
    > > version of PLM will handle these without error.

    > At gaby.de there is also an earlier version written in Fortran only, which
    > would build on UNIX with Fortran compilers like f77 and f95. Oh and that
    > archive includes a file PLMSAMP.PLM too, so that compiler should work.
    >
    > I have not had a look at the Vax version yet, because of the described
    > bootstrap problem. Seems that one module was written in PL/M and needs to
    > be rewritten into Fortran, to get rid of that problem. Maybe sometime...
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Udo

    Thanks again, in my searchings I see:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/mkcpm14.zip

    "
    Make CPM 1.4 v 0.1: 48K, by Ernie Price. Make CPM 1.4 is a howto on
    reconstucting the CPM Version 1.4 CCP and BDOS from recovered and
    regenerated sources.
    "
    He gets this BDOS.PLM from a disk image, I'll explore this.

    Steve

    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

  12. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Udo Munk wrote:
    > > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:53:42 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks Udo, for your work on the Z80pack. It makes me want to dig out
    > > > the old code for alittle 8-bit fun!

    > > Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm having a lot of fun too.
    > >
    > > > I tried compiling the PLMSAMP.PLM under the ISIS PLM80, but this won't
    > > > work. It turns out that the filename length under ISIS is 6 characters
    > > > max., 6.3 is the ISIS filespec.

    > > Hm, where is this example from?
    > >

    > It is in plm80x80.zip from Gaby's site.
    >
    > http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/plm80x80.zip
    >
    > IIRC there is also an early version of load.plm without the initial DO,
    > not sure where it is at.
    >
    > > > Changing the filename to PLMSAM.PLM allows it to compile, however there
    > > > are errors. The Source doesn't start with the DO keyword, designating
    > > > the start of a DO block. This tells me that this PLMSAMP.PLM is for an
    > > > earlier PLM80 Compiler version. Does anyone have some more they could
    > > > tell me about this, such as a PLM80 version 1.0 is required? Or has

    > > Available are version 3.1 (CP/M 2 source disks) and version 4.0 (CP/M 3
    > > and MP/M source disks). They seem to differ quit a bit with the language
    > > support, I would try the 3.1 release.
    > >
    > > > someone succeeded where I haven't? The lack of an initial DO is also
    > > > the case for the source BDOS.PLM copyright 1975 by GK. So for
    > > > completeness, I would like to find a way (the right version of compiler)
    > > > to compile this as well. But it is quite possible that only the vax
    > > > version of PLM will handle these without error.

    > > At gaby.de there is also an earlier version written in Fortran only, which
    > > would build on UNIX with Fortran compilers like f77 and f95. Oh and that
    > > archive includes a file PLMSAMP.PLM too, so that compiler should work.
    > >
    > > I have not had a look at the Vax version yet, because of the described
    > > bootstrap problem. Seems that one module was written in PL/M and needs to
    > > be rewritten into Fortran, to get rid of that problem. Maybe sometime...
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > > Udo

    > Thanks again, in my searchings I see:
    >
    > http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/mkcpm14.zip
    >
    > "
    > Make CPM 1.4 v 0.1: 48K, by Ernie Price. Make CPM 1.4 is a howto on
    > reconstucting the CPM Version 1.4 CCP and BDOS from recovered and
    > regenerated sources.
    > "
    > He gets this BDOS.PLM from a disk image, I'll explore this.

    Ernie does indeed recover a BDOS.PLM (c)1976,77,78 and BDOSI.SRC
    (c)1978! by DRI.

    I'll refer to this as BDOS76.PLM, and it is the only other BDOS.PLM
    known to me to exist.

    So Far as I can tell there is available;

    A) BDOS.PLM (c)1975 by Gary Kildall ?vax pl/m?
    Bios+Bdos in one file, both contained within the Monitor Procedure
    Block.

    B) BDOS.PLM (c)76,77,78 by DRI and companion BDOSI.SRC (c)1978 ?v1.4?
    probably. Builds with Intel ISIS Tools. Bios is separated out now.

    C) OS3BDOS.ASM (c)78,79 BDOS Ver. 2.0 Aug 1979.

    D) BDOS.ASM (c)78,79,80 BDOS Ver. 2.2

    The (A) version is likely the public domain version that Gary developed
    as a consultant while still in the Navy (I'm assuming a timeline here).
    As it starts of with:
    "
    $Q=1
    $RIGHTMARGIN=80
    /* FDOS LLL V.3 11/21/75
    CON DEVICE 3 IS TI SILENT 700.
    OCT IS READER DEVICE 3 OR 4. */
    3200H: DECLARE BOOT LITERALLY '0H';

    /* C P / M B A S I C I / O S Y S T E M (B I O S)

    COPYRIGHT (C) GARY A. KILDALL
    JUNE, 1975

    "
    The BDOS part is later in the file.

    Notice no DO; at the start, there are other syntax errors also, in
    trying to build this with the Intel ISIS tools.

    > Steve
    >

    > > --
    > > The fun is building it and then using it.

  13. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:14:27 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:

    > Notice no DO; at the start, there are other syntax errors also, in
    > trying to build this with the Intel ISIS tools.
    >
    >> Steve

    Try to build it with the PL/M cross compiler on a UNIX system, the ISIS
    compiler wasn't existing when that software was written.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  14. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:14:27 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:

    > Notice no DO; at the start, there are other syntax errors also, in
    > trying to build this with the Intel ISIS tools.
    >
    >> Steve

    I just tested this PLMSAMP.PLM example program for the MCS-8 system with
    the Intel PLM-80 cross compiler 2.0 on a UNIX system, compiles ok.
    So I think that the code you got also was compiled with the cross compiler
    and not with the Isis compiler.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  15. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:14:27 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:
    >
    > > Notice no DO; at the start, there are other syntax errors also, in
    > > trying to build this with the Intel ISIS tools.
    > >
    > >> Steve

    > I just tested this PLMSAMP.PLM example program for the MCS-8 system with
    > the Intel PLM-80 cross compiler 2.0 on a UNIX system, compiles ok.
    > So I think that the code you got also was compiled with the cross compiler
    > and not with the Isis compiler.
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

    Thanks Udo! This is good to know.

    Would you mind trying the BDOS.PLM & CCP.PLM (1975) gotten from here:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm_plm.zip

    It is in the same form as the PLMSAMP.PLM, meaning it doesn't start out
    with the
    DO;

    For reference, there is an Intel PL/M-86 COMPILER X304
    PLM86.EXE
    which will compile the later synax where the source must begin with a
    DO; block.
    There is the $code directive which will append pseudo assembly to the
    listing, output is Intel .obj for the x86.

    BTW, Happy New Year to everybody!

    Steve

  16. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:43:13 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:

    > Would you mind trying the BDOS.PLM & CCP.PLM (1975) gotten from here:
    >
    > http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm_plm.zip
    >
    > It is in the same form as the PLMSAMP.PLM, meaning it doesn't start out
    > with the
    > DO;

    I have downloaded it, this sources definitely were written for the cross
    compiler, the first line with:
    $Q=1
    is a compiler switch for the Intel cross compiler.

    The ccp compiles ok, no problems.

    The bdos aborts with error 20 (macro table full). I have no doubts that it
    will compile too, if the compiler tables are increased properly, as
    described in the compiler documentation.

    I have put an archive with compiler sources, documentation and so on at
    ftp://ftp.unix4fun.org/z80pack/. The archive includes a compiler driver
    'plm80' written in UNIX shell script, operating Fortran programs dealing
    with multiple card decks isn't for everyone in the 21s century ;-)
    So one would use 'plm80 program.plm' and gets program.prn and program.hex
    as a result. GNU Fortran 77 compiler is required on the UNIX system, some
    sort of Linux will do.

    > BTW, Happy New Year to everybody!
    >
    > Steve

    Happy New Year,
    Udo
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  17. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:43:13 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:
    >
    > > Would you mind trying the BDOS.PLM & CCP.PLM (1975) gotten from here:
    > >
    > > http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm_plm.zip
    > >
    > > It is in the same form as the PLMSAMP.PLM, meaning it doesn't start out
    > > with the
    > > DO;

    > I have downloaded it, this sources definitely were written for the cross
    > compiler, the first line with:
    > $Q=1
    > is a compiler switch for the Intel cross compiler.
    >
    > The ccp compiles ok, no problems.
    >
    > The bdos aborts with error 20 (macro table full). I have no doubts that it
    > will compile too, if the compiler tables are increased properly, as
    > described in the compiler documentation.
    >
    > I have put an archive with compiler sources, documentation and so on at
    > ftp://ftp.unix4fun.org/z80pack/. The archive includes a compiler driver
    > 'plm80' written in UNIX shell script, operating Fortran programs dealing
    > with multiple card decks isn't for everyone in the 21s century ;-)
    > So one would use 'plm80 program.plm' and gets program.prn and program.hex
    > as a result. GNU Fortran 77 compiler is required on the UNIX system, some
    > sort of Linux will do.
    >
    > > BTW, Happy New Year to everybody!
    > >
    > > Steve

    > Happy New Year,
    > Udo
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

    Excellent, this is very good news. It means the representative sources
    of the early milesstones in CP/M development are available and
    buildable in some fashion.

    A) The pre-DRI (1975) CCP.PLM and BDOS.PLM (which contain the integral
    bios, hardware interface for the Intel MDS.) This is purported to have
    always been in the public domain. It starts out with the bios portion
    but the bdos is further on. Furthermore, the entire FDOS is delineated
    within the DISKMON procedure block, it is all in one procedure. This
    is the Disk Monitor which evolves thru the subsequent versions into a
    general purpose operating system.
    "
    $Q=1
    $RIGHTMARGIN=80
    /* FDOS LLL V.3 11/21/75
    CON DEVICE 3 IS TI SILENT 700.
    OCT IS READER DEVICE 3 OR 4. */
    3200H: DECLARE BOOT LITERALLY '0H';

    /* C P / M B A S I C I / O S Y S T E M (B I O S)

    COPYRIGHT (C) GARY A. KILDALL
    JUNE, 1975
    */

    DECLARE CONSOLE LITERALLY '00$00$10$00B'; /* READER IS OCT CHANNEL A.
    */
    DECLARE ECHO BYTE INITIAL (0FFH); /* ECHO CALL NO. 1. SEE CALL 30 */

    DISKMON: PROCEDURE(FUNC,INFO) ADDRESS;
    "
    The LLL V.3 11/21/75 was pointed out to me to possibly mean the
    Lawrence Livermore Laboratory version.

    B) Ernie's recovery from submitted disk image of BDOSI.SRC [8080 asm
    interface module (c) 1978 DRI] and BDOS.PLM (c) DRI 1976,1977,1978
    probably version 1.4, as claimed. By the time of this version, the
    FDOS has been separated into the BDOS and OEM supplied BIOS.

    C) 1980 CP/M v.2.0 ASM sources re:
    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/DRIPAK.ZIP and
    http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html

    D) CP/M V2.2 sources re: http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/DRIPAK.ZIP
    and
    http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html

    E) CP/M V3.0 is there also.

    Thanks Udo, It is gratifying to know that these sources have survived
    and are buildable in some fashion,

    Steve

  18. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On 1 Jan 2007 16:24:18 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    re:

    >This is purported to have
    >always been in the public domain.

    As only the Author can place something in the Public Domain,
    do you have something that says Kildall ever did? Seems to me
    he copyrighted over a hundred examples of his work ....

    Everything in the LOC should make it on-line within the next
    few years. Including everything Kildall filed. I wonder what
    this is going to do to the value of old/rare books?

    Bill

  19. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:
    > On 1 Jan 2007 16:24:18 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > re:
    >
    > >This is purported to have
    > >always been in the public domain.

    > As only the Author can place something in the Public Domain,
    > do you have something that says Kildall ever did? Seems to me
    > he copyrighted over a hundred examples of his work ....

    This comes to mind, admittedly weak-

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e0fae467329d43

    ""

    In looking around, besides Gaby's, for the CP/M PLM code, I find this
    in DRIPAK.ZIP :
    Volume5.doc :
    *** "
    This is the original .doc file on the cpm user's group
    Volume 5 - this originally contained the source of the
    public domain version of CPM, and the tape was later
    ERASED......

    ------------- start of original ----------

    BASIC-E

    THIS DISKETTE CONTAINS 2 VERSIONS OF THE BASIC-E COMPILER
    BAS2-0 AND BAS2-1, AND THREE VERSIONS OF THE RUN-TIME
    INTERPRETER RUNK2-0, RUN2-2 AND RUN2-3. THE BUGS AND
    RELATIVE MERITS ARE UNKNOWN. TRY THEM. NOTE THAT IN
    THESE VERSIONS, THE COMPILE TIME OPTIONS ARE PLACED IN
    THE COMMAND NOT IN THE FILE - EG "BAS2-1 WUMPUS $B"

    OTHELLO IS OVERFLOW BASIC-E PROGRAM FROM VOLUME 5

    MICROSOFT BASIC (AND SIMILAR)

    THE FILES ???????.ASC ARE ASCII SOURCES OF PROGRAMS WRITTEN
    IN MICROSOFT - TYPE BASIC. PROBABLY NEEDS LITTLE PATCHING
    FOR DEC PDP11 EXTENDED BASIC, TDL AND OTHERS. THE SUFFIX
    ASC IS USED TO DISTINGUISH THEM FROM THE TOKEN FILES WITH
    BINARY LINE NUMBERS, WHICH HAVE .BAS SUFFICES.

    CP/M SOURCE FILES

    THE JUNE 1975 RELEASE OF CP/M IS IN PUBLIC DOMAIN. THE PLM
    AND ASSEMBLY FILES HERE ARE PART OF THAT RELEASE.

    THE FULL RELEASE WAS:

    CCP.PLM
    BDOS.PLM
    PIP.PLM
    LOAD.PLM
    DUMP.ASM
    IOLIB.PLM

    THESE ARE CERTIFIED BY GARY KILDALL TO BE AVAILABLE FOR
    PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT RESTRICTION
    " ***
    However only CCP.PLM, BDOS.PLM and LOAD.PLM are found on Gaby's site
    and also in the DRIPAK.ZIP, the others in the above list are absent. A

    noteworthy thing about the DRIPAK.ZIP is that those PLM files are
    listed in cpm_v1-3 Directory, so perhaps those are that version?
    http://www.retroarchive.org has the DRIPAK.ZIP ;
    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/os.htm

    ""

    > Everything in the LOC should make it on-line within the next
    > few years. Including everything Kildall filed. I wonder what
    > this is going to do to the value of old/rare books?
    >

    > Bill

    I think there is another reference, but I haven't found it quickly.

    In searching for the above I see this thread by you (msg 19) and
    others;

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ee1c170a2e74f2

    In Nov 12,1999 comp.os.cpm, I'm sure I haven't read this yet, so I
    shall...

    What is LOC?

    Steve

  20. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On 1 Jan 2007 21:37:06 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    >What is LOC?

    Had to think for a few seconds, that stands for Library of Congress,
    where every book and magazine published in the US can file a copy.

    I believe he is referring to the movement to put every book in
    existance online so that it can be searched electronically.

    I am in favor of putting every text online, It won't affect the
    collecters and libraries who will still buy hardbound copies. But it
    will make available books that are hard to get ahold of for research.

    It will magnify the problems of teachers who feel that cut and paste
    is plagerism.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast