Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF - CP/M

This is a discussion on Solution for PLM80 ISIS compiler reading past EOF - CP/M ; Udo Munk wrote: > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:43:13 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote: > > >>Would you mind trying the BDOS.PLM & CCP.PLM (1975) gotten from here: >> >> http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm_plm.zip >> >>It is in the same form as the PLMSAMP.PLM, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

  1. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:43:13 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:
    >

    >>Would you mind trying the BDOS.PLM & CCP.PLM (1975) gotten from here:
    >>
    >>http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpm_plm.zip
    >>
    >>It is in the same form as the PLMSAMP.PLM, meaning it doesn't start out
    >>with the
    >>DO;

    > I have downloaded it, this sources definitely were written for the cross
    > compiler, the first line with:
    > $Q=1
    > is a compiler switch for the Intel cross compiler.
    >
    > The ccp compiles ok, no problems.
    >
    > The bdos aborts with error 20 (macro table full). I have no doubts that it
    > will compile too, if the compiler tables are increased properly, as
    > described in the compiler documentation.
    >
    > I have put an archive with compiler sources, documentation and so on at
    > ftp://ftp.unix4fun.org/z80pack/. The archive includes a compiler driver
    > 'plm80' written in UNIX shell script, operating Fortran programs dealing
    > with multiple card decks isn't for everyone in the 21s century ;-)
    > So one would use 'plm80 program.plm' and gets program.prn and program.hex
    > as a result. GNU Fortran 77 compiler is required on the UNIX system, some
    > sort of Linux will do.
    >

    >>BTW, Happy New Year to everybody!
    >>
    >>Steve

    > Happy New Year,
    > Udo

    I was able to compile PL/M 80 2.0 on Windows XP. I used MinGW to
    compile the PLM8x.FOR file with G77. But I could not figure out how
    to get PLM81.exe to compile anything. Eventually I found a message
    from Thrashbarg on the The Vintage Computer message board which had
    a REXX script he used to run the compiler on OS2. I wrote a similar
    ..CMD to setup all fort.x files the compiler uses. BTW Z80PACK runs
    fine compiled by MinGW on Windows XP. cpmtools and libdisk didn't
    seem to compile well but I haven't had time check why.

    This compiler is a simpler program. It only produces a hex file and
    doesn't seem to have any features for compiling modules and linking.
    More like ASM as opposed to RASM. It also ignores any lower case
    character in the PLM file which led to some spectacular displays of
    error messages until I realized what was happening.

    I compiled PLMSAMP.PLM and it compiled OK but since it was written
    to run under the INTELLEC monitor it was not very exciting.

    I made a couple of additions to the source of PLMSAMP to allow
    running it under CP/M. I added function BDOS and changed PRINT$CHAR
    to use it.

    BDOS: PROCEDURE(FUNC,CHAR); /*jws*/
    DECLARE FUNC BYTE;
    DECLARE CHAR ADDRESS;
    DECLARE BDOSV LITERALLY '00005H';
    GO TO BDOSV;
    END BDOS;

    /* PRINT USING INTELLEC MONITOR */

    PRINT$CHAR: PROCEDURE (CHAR);

    DECLARE CHAR BYTE;

    /* DECLARE IOCO LITERALLY '0FB09H'; */
    /* GO TO IOCO; */
    CALL BDOS(2, CHAR); /*jws*/
    END PRINT$CHAR;

    DO I = 1 TO 100; /* So display won't go screen screen */

    At the end I added a function call to exit the program.

    CALL PRINT$NUMBER(SQUARE$ROOT(I), 10,6, TRUE); END; CALL
    BDOS(0,0); /* Terminate program */ EOF

    Then I loaded the .HEX file into MYZ80 CP/M 2.2 and used MLOAD to
    convert it to a .COM file. Here is the output.

    B3>plmsam2
    PLMSAM2 MODIFIED 070101 BY JWS
    TABLE OF SQUARE ROOTS
    VALUE ROOT VALUE ROOT VALUE ROOT VALUE ROOT VALUE ROOT
    1 1 2 2 3 2 4 2 5 2
    6 3 7 3 8 3 9 3 10 3
    11 3 12 4 13 4 14 4 15 4
    16 4 17 4 18 4 19 4 20 5
    21 5 22 5 23 5 24 5 25 5
    26 5 27 5 28 5 29 5 30 6
    31 6 32 6 33 6 34 6 35 6
    36 6 37 6 38 6 39 6 40 6
    41 6 42 7 43 7 44 7 45 7
    46 7 47 7 48 7 49 7 50 7
    51 7 52 7 53 7 54 7 55 7
    56 8 57 8 58 8 59 8 60 8
    61 8 62 8 63 8 64 8 65 8
    66 8 67 8 68 8 69 8 70 8
    71 8 72 9 73 9 74 9 75 9
    76 9 77 9 78 9 79 9 80 9
    81 9 82 9 83 9 84 9 85 9
    86 9 87 9 88 9 89 9 90 10
    91 10 92 10 93 10 94 10 95 10
    96 10 97 10 98 10 99 10 100 10
    B3>

    Thanks for all the Z80PACK stuff. I have been having a
    lot of fun with it.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

  2. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:58:48 -0600, primo wrote:

    >On 1 Jan 2007 21:37:06 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>What is LOC?

    >Had to think for a few seconds, that stands for Library of Congress,
    >where every book and magazine published in the US can file a copy.

    More than that. The LOC was where the copies you used to have
    to file along with your Copyright Registration Form were sent. Which
    means unpublished works (copyrighted, but no publisher ever found
    to print them) and computer source code listings for applications and
    operating systems etc will be in there, too.

    re: the CP/M versions debate mentioned elsewhere - maybe Luser
    will re-type the LOC listings for Kildall's works into some form
    humans can read. Might help clarify some of the dates. I found
    over a hundred copyrights filed by either Kildall, DRI, or others
    covering his work. (curiously, NONE by Gates, Allen, nor Paterson)

    And you should know that some very old movie films. shot on long
    ago lost nitrate base, were filed as paper copies, frame-by-frame.
    Some of those have popped up in recent years, even though the
    film versions were all lost many years ago. Then, the Copyright
    Office stopped requiring the paper copies, resulting in a large gap
    where NO versions of old films exist at all, covering many years'
    work.

    Because of the changes to Copyright Law, there are differing rules
    depending on the date, but one thing I think today is that filing a
    copy may be optional, however failing to file a copy of a work can
    severely limit any damages you might be awarded. Maybe I'm wrong.

    Bill

  3. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On 1 Jan 2007 21:37:06 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >> On 1 Jan 2007 16:24:18 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    >> As only the Author can place something in the Public Domain,
    >> do you have something that says Kildall ever did? Seems to me
    >> he copyrighted over a hundred examples of his work ....
    >>

    >This comes to mind, admittedly weak-
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e0fae467329d43

    >CP/M SOURCE FILES

    >THE JUNE 1975 RELEASE OF CP/M IS IN PUBLIC DOMAIN. THE PLM
    >AND ASSEMBLY FILES HERE ARE PART OF THAT RELEASE.

    >THE FULL RELEASE WAS:

    > CCP.PLM
    > BDOS.PLM
    > PIP.PLM
    > LOAD.PLM
    > DUMP.ASM
    > IOLIB.PLM

    >THESE ARE CERTIFIED BY GARY KILDALL TO BE AVAILABLE FOR
    >PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT RESTRICTION

    I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.

    But what you post certainly suggests they had something from
    Kildall in writing. What does it mean: ''tape was ereased''?

    Somebody (Osborne re: CP/M) (Gates re: Ed Roberts and MS Basic)
    or even something (CP/Mug including MBasic Compiler on one of it's
    volumes) saying or doing a compromising thing would not constitute
    much of a legal protection. Take a few minutes to read through what
    the GNU project folks have been doing and you'll realise that Public
    Domain has levels or depths of meaning. The most common restriction
    seems to involve 'for profit' use. Kildall would almost certainly have
    created massive problems for himself and his company if he did
    release any version of CP/M in an unrestricted manner. And, probably,
    jeapordize his ability to sue ms over any later alleged cloning.

    -

    It's beginning to look like the world is about to be treated to a war
    of the copyright over Linux, probably started by microsoft aided and
    abetted by Novell. Ray Noorda, former chief number one ms hater
    in all the world, who died in October, must be spinning in his grave.

    Seems Linux is some sort of loophole in ms' plans to own the desktop.

    Guess the SCO lawsuit isn't having the effect they had hoped for.

    Bill

  4. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:39:10 -0500, jws wrote:

    > I was able to compile PL/M 80 2.0 on Windows XP. I used MinGW to
    > compile the PLM8x.FOR file with G77. But I could not figure out how
    > to get PLM81.exe to compile anything. Eventually I found a message
    > from Thrashbarg on the The Vintage Computer message board which had
    > a REXX script he used to run the compiler on OS2. I wrote a similar
    > .CMD to setup all fort.x files the compiler uses. BTW Z80PACK runs
    > fine compiled by MinGW on Windows XP. cpmtools and libdisk didn't
    > seem to compile well but I haven't had time check why.

    Interesting, does MP/M boot and run ok under XP? Wondering if all that
    signal handling would work, the whole process model under Windows is a bit
    different from UNIX.

    > This compiler is a simpler program. It only produces a hex file and
    > doesn't seem to have any features for compiling modules and linking.
    > More like ASM as opposed to RASM. It also ignores any lower case
    > character in the PLM file which led to some spectacular displays of
    > error messages until I realized what was happening.

    Correct, no modules and no linking, could be done by loading multiple hex
    modules tho.

    > I compiled PLMSAMP.PLM and it compiled OK but since it was written to
    > run under the INTELLEC monitor it was not very exciting.

    Yep, I need to find a better example sometime, which also would run on CP/M
    systems.

    > Thanks for all the Z80PACK stuff. I have been having a lot of fun with
    > it.

    You are welcome.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  5. Re: Re:PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:24:18 -0800, s_dubrovich wrote:

    > Excellent, this is very good news. It means the representative sources
    > of the early milesstones in CP/M development are available and
    > buildable in some fashion.

    I increased the macro table for pass 1 of the compiler, the BDOS
    also compiles ok then, as I thought.
    Hm, looking at the hex dump from the compiler isn't much more interesting
    than looking at the PL/M sources.

    > Thanks Udo, It is gratifying to know that these sources have survived
    > and are buildable in some fashion,
    >
    > Steve

    You are welcome.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  6. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:
    > On 1 Jan 2007 21:37:06 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    /* snip */

    >>CP/M SOURCE FILES

    >>THE JUNE 1975 RELEASE OF CP/M IS IN PUBLIC DOMAIN. THE PLM
    >>AND ASSEMBLY FILES HERE ARE PART OF THAT RELEASE.

    >>THE FULL RELEASE WAS:

    >> CCP.PLM
    >> BDOS.PLM
    >> PIP.PLM
    >> LOAD.PLM
    >> DUMP.ASM
    >> IOLIB.PLM

    >>THESE ARE CERTIFIED BY GARY KILDALL TO BE AVAILABLE FOR
    >>PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT RESTRICTION

    > I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.
    >
    > Guess the SCO lawsuit isn't having the effect they had hoped for.

    /* snip */

    > Bill

    I would be very interested to know what condition the files
    on your copy of CPMUG005 are in. I finally found mine the
    other day after searching many cartons of disk boxes. This
    copy is one from after the files were removed but the erased
    FCBs were still on the disk and I unerased them at the time.
    However the person who did the disk distribution for LICA
    seems to have made the original disk bootable and put a copy
    of PIP on it to copy the disk file by file instead of using
    DISKCOPY. Part of LOAD.PLM is missing and all of DUMP and IOLIB
    are missing. The copy of LOAD in load.zip on seems to be
    corrupted in the same way so perhaps the problem occurred
    earlier in the chain of copying.

    Jeff

  7. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:39:10 -0500, jws wrote:
    >

    >>I was able to compile PL/M 80 2.0 on Windows XP. I used MinGW to
    >>compile the PLM8x.FOR file with G77. But I could not figure out how
    >>to get PLM81.exe to compile anything. Eventually I found a message
    >>from Thrashbarg on the The Vintage Computer message board which had
    >>a REXX script he used to run the compiler on OS2. I wrote a similar
    >>.CMD to setup all fort.x files the compiler uses. BTW Z80PACK runs
    >>fine compiled by MinGW on Windows XP. cpmtools and libdisk didn't
    >>seem to compile well but I haven't had time check why.

    I actually meant to say I used CygWin to compile Z80PACK.

    > Interesting, does MP/M boot and run ok under XP? Wondering if all that
    > signal handling would work, the whole process model under Windows is a bit
    > different from UNIX.

    MP/M ran OK for a few commands. I tried DIR, MPMSTAT, STAT,
    DUMP, SHOW, and TOD and those worked. When I tried to connect to
    the TCP/IP console on port 4000 that didn't seem to work but perhaps
    CygWin needs some tuning.

    >>This compiler is a simpler program. It only produces a hex file and
    >>doesn't seem to have any features for compiling modules and linking.
    >>More like ASM as opposed to RASM. It also ignores any lower case
    >>character in the PLM file which led to some spectacular displays of
    >>error messages until I realized what was happening.

    > Correct, no modules and no linking, could be done by loading multiple hex
    > modules tho.
    >

    >>I compiled PLMSAMP.PLM and it compiled OK but since it was written to
    >>run under the INTELLEC monitor it was not very exciting.

    > Yep, I need to find a better example sometime, which also would run on CP/M
    > systems.
    >

    >>Thanks for all the Z80PACK stuff. I have been having a lot of fun with
    >>it.

    > You are welcome.
    >
    > Udo Munk

  8. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:

    > I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.

    Please do, I would like to get closer to the truth of the matter.

    > But what you post certainly suggests they had something from
    > Kildall in writing. What does it mean: ''tape was ereased''?

    It is certainly a lament, either the tape was mishandled or??

    > Somebody (Osborne re: CP/M) (Gates re: Ed Roberts and MS Basic)

    That was the other reference I was looking for, was it Adam Osborne who
    also claimed that the pre-DRI CP/M was in the public domain?

    > or even something (CP/Mug including MBasic Compiler on one of it's
    > volumes) saying or doing a compromising thing would not constitute
    > much of a legal protection.

    Agreed. I don't know the merit of the argument that, in those days,
    research done in public institutions has public domain status. Are
    there merits to that claim? I mean, is that the legal status?

    > Take a few minutes to read through what
    > the GNU project folks have been doing and you'll realise that Public
    > Domain has levels or depths of meaning. The most common restriction
    > seems to involve 'for profit' use. Kildall would almost certainly have
    > created massive problems for himself and his company if he did
    > release any version of CP/M in an unrestricted manner.

    Well, this _possible_ action resulting in public domain status would
    have preceded his setting up DRI, right?
    But, this status is _possibly_ central to the question of why DRI
    didn't pursue infringments, meaning the _possible_ defense argument
    that the work in question stands on prior public domain 'art'.
    Certainly you are closer to these issues, I'd be happy with your
    insight.

    > And, probably,
    > jeapordize his ability to sue ms over any later alleged cloning.
    >
    > -
    >
    > It's beginning to look like the world is about to be treated to a war
    > of the copyright over Linux, probably started by microsoft aided and
    > abetted by Novell. Ray Noorda, former chief number one ms hater
    > in all the world, who died in October, must be spinning in his grave.

    Hmm, I had missed that he had died. I don't know what to think of him,
    my understanding is he owned a tonne of novl shares, was a major in the
    canopy group, and had a major stake in sco as well, I don't have proof
    of my impressions that he was involved in hedge fund activity.

    > Seems Linux is some sort of loophole in ms' plans to own the desktop.

    I haven't been following that closely.

    > Guess the SCO lawsuit isn't having the effect they had hoped for.
    >
    > Bill

  9. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On 4 Jan 2007 21:29:09 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >

    >> I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.
    >>

    >Please do, I would like to get closer to the truth of the matter.

    Not sure what to make of this. Here's my CATALOG.5 dated
    04/29/84

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    VOLUME 5

    BASIC-E COMPILERS AND INTERPRETERS
    BASIC-E PROGRAMS, CONTINUED FROM VOLUME 3
    MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAMS

    NUMBER SIZE NAME COMMENTS

    CATALOG.5 CONTENTS OF CP/M GROUP VOL 5
    VOLUME5.DOC COMMENTS
    5.1 8K 21.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.2 12K BAS2-0.COM BASIC-E COMPILER
    5.3 12K BAS2-1.COM CASIC-E COMPILER
    5.4 DELETED
    5.5 5K BIO-FF.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.6 4K BIORYTH.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.7 10K BLKFRI2.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.8 DELETED
    5.9 2K DECISION.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.10 DELETED
    5.11 6K EDTEXT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.12 2K FORMAT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.13 DELETED
    5.14 16K OTHELLO.BAS BASIC-E PROGRAM
    5.15 5K OTHELLO.DOC INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTHELLO.BAS
    5.16 2K RADIX.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.17 1K RECOVERY.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.18 12K RUN2-2.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    5.19 12K RUN2-3.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    5.20 12K RUNK2-0.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    5.21 4K SLOT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.22 2K SORT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.23 7K STARTREK.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.24 14K SUPTRK3.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    5.25 DELETED

    total space is about 146kB, about 50kB short of most of the
    other early CP/Mug ones.

    Maybe somebody's got the Lifeboat magazine/catalog that
    listed the original released contents? that they could scan?

    certainly doesn't help much.

    Bill

  10. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:11:26 -0500, Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:

    > MP/M ran OK for a few commands. I tried DIR, MPMSTAT, STAT,
    > DUMP, SHOW, and TOD and those worked. When I tried to connect to
    > the TCP/IP console on port 4000 that didn't seem to work but perhaps
    > CygWin needs some tuning.

    So all the async and interrupt driven I/O for the character devices seems
    to work.
    Did you copy the net_server.conf file into the directory with the cpmsim
    executable? If not the server socked isn't opened at all. If it was there
    and telnet connected but no MP/M propmt, Cygwin won't generate the SIGIO
    signal for a socket connect attempt. This also could be done by polling
    the socket for new connections, not a good solution.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  11. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:

    > > On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:39:10 -0500, jws wrote:
    > >
    > >>I was able to compile PL/M 80 2.0 on Windows XP. I used MinGW to
    > >>compile the PLM8x.FOR file with G77. But I could not figure out how
    > >>to get PLM81.exe to compile anything....

    > I actually meant to say I used CygWin to compile Z80PACK.

    When you resolve (or not) some TCP/IP issues with CygWin, how about a
    post about how you used CygWin to compile and run Z80PACK to support
    CP/M, etc and notibly CP/NET? Some CygWin install notes would be
    informative, if you did the install recently.

    The CygWin Web site describes how to install the CygWin package(s)
    under Windows, but it's a little sketchy as the process is based on
    running their SETUP program which brings in further downloads. From my
    brief look, it appears you do a "developers" install to get the gcc
    compiler and related tools, so you can tweak and compile Z80PACK
    sources within the CygWin "environment"; then they run under CygWin's
    DLL support within Windows. Offhand, it looks like a better way to port
    to Windows than running some Linux emulator.

    If you post results, consider starting a new thread under Z80PACK and
    not as part of this PL/M or ISIS thread; just for convenience. That
    said, the technical dicussion of early CP/M "recovery" here is very
    interesting.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain
    mirror

  12. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:
    > On 4 Jan 2007 21:29:09 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Bill wrote:
    > >

    > >> I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.
    > >>

    > >Please do, I would like to get closer to the truth of the matter.

    > Not sure what to make of this. Here's my CATALOG.5 dated
    > 04/29/84

    To Recap-
    "
    CP/M SOURCE FILES

    THE JUNE 1975 RELEASE OF CP/M IS IN PUBLIC DOMAIN. THE PLM
    AND ASSEMBLY FILES HERE ARE PART OF THAT RELEASE.

    THE FULL RELEASE WAS:
    CCP.PLM -
    BDOS.PLM -
    PIP.PLM
    LOAD.PLM
    DUMP.ASM -
    IOLIB.PLM -

    THESE ARE CERTIFIED BY GARY KILDALL TO BE AVAILABLE FOR
    PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT RESTRICTION
    "
    The writer infers part of the release is on Volume 5.
    So, what fits?

    > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    >
    > VOLUME 5
    >
    > BASIC-E COMPILERS AND INTERPRETERS
    > BASIC-E PROGRAMS, CONTINUED FROM VOLUME 3
    > MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAMS
    >
    > NUMBER SIZE NAME COMMENTS
    >
    > CATALOG.5 CONTENTS OF CP/M GROUP VOL 5
    > VOLUME5.DOC COMMENTS
    > 5.1 8K 21.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.2 12K BAS2-0.COM BASIC-E COMPILER
    > 5.3 12K BAS2-1.COM CASIC-E COMPILER

    ?BDOS.PLM? > 5.4 DELETED
    > 5.5 5K BIO-FF.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.6 4K BIORYTH.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.7 10K BLKFRI2.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM

    ?CCP.PLM? > 5.8 DELETED
    > 5.9 2K DECISION.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM

    ?DUMP.ASM? > 5.10 DELETED
    > 5.11 6K EDTEXT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.12 2K FORMAT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.13 DELETED

    ?IOLIB.PLM? - probably a compiler support file, I don't see that it
    should be here.
    ?LOAD.PLM? - This is my vote.
    > 5.14 16K OTHELLO.BAS BASIC-E PROGRAM
    > 5.15 5K OTHELLO.DOC INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTHELLO.BAS
    > 5.16 2K RADIX.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.17 1K RECOVERY.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.18 12K RUN2-2.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.19 12K RUN2-3.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.20 12K RUNK2-0.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.21 4K SLOT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.22 2K SORT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.23 7K STARTREK.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.24 14K SUPTRK3.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.25 DELETED

    ?PIP.PLM ? Doesn't fit on the 'Deleted' List.

    > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    >
    > total space is about 146kB, about 50kB short of most of the
    > other early CP/Mug ones.
    >
    > Maybe somebody's got the Lifeboat magazine/catalog that
    > listed the original released contents? that they could scan?
    >
    > certainly doesn't help much.

    Now what? What do you think?

    Steve

    > Bill

  13. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:
    > On 4 Jan 2007 21:29:09 -0800, s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>Bill wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'll dig out my copy of Vol 5, CP/Mug and have a look.
    >>>

    >>Please do, I would like to get closer to the truth of the matter.

    > Not sure what to make of this. Here's my CATALOG.5 dated
    > 04/29/84
    >
    > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    >
    > VOLUME 5
    >
    > BASIC-E COMPILERS AND INTERPRETERS
    > BASIC-E PROGRAMS, CONTINUED FROM VOLUME 3
    > MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAMS
    >
    > NUMBER SIZE NAME COMMENTS
    >
    > CATALOG.5 CONTENTS OF CP/M GROUP VOL 5
    > VOLUME5.DOC COMMENTS
    > 5.1 8K 21.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.2 12K BAS2-0.COM BASIC-E COMPILER
    > 5.3 12K BAS2-1.COM CASIC-E COMPILER
    > 5.4 DELETED
    > 5.5 5K BIO-FF.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.6 4K BIORYTH.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.7 10K BLKFRI2.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.8 DELETED
    > 5.9 2K DECISION.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.10 DELETED
    > 5.11 6K EDTEXT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.12 2K FORMAT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.13 DELETED
    > 5.14 16K OTHELLO.BAS BASIC-E PROGRAM
    > 5.15 5K OTHELLO.DOC INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTHELLO.BAS
    > 5.16 2K RADIX.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.17 1K RECOVERY.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.18 12K RUN2-2.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.19 12K RUN2-3.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.20 12K RUNK2-0.COM BASIC-E INTERPRETER
    > 5.21 4K SLOT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.22 2K SORT.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.23 7K STARTREK.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.24 14K SUPTRK3.ASC MICROSOFT BASIC PROGRAM
    > 5.25 DELETED
    >
    > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    >
    > total space is about 146kB, about 50kB short of most of the
    > other early CP/Mug ones.
    >
    > Maybe somebody's got the Lifeboat magazine/catalog that
    > listed the original released contents? that they could scan?
    >
    > certainly doesn't help much.
    >
    > Bill

    Hello Bill,

    That matches exactly the contents of the catalog.5 file on my copy.
    The files listed in catalog.5 total add up to 148KB. The same files
    from my disk amount to 144KB on disk in DOS. The difference is most
    likely due to some files not filling the last allocation block. The
    restored CP/M files on my Volume 5 disk amount to about 69KB but
    parts of them seem to be missing.

    The date you mention for the CATALOG.5 file is the same date as the
    copy in CPMUG005.ARK on the Walnut Creek CDROM. Do you have an
    original CPMUG volume 5 on 8 inch SSSD CP/M floppy or a later copy
    on different media. If the files are copies transferred by PIP or
    other file transfer program then there is no way to recover the
    missing files that were deleted on the original volume.

    Jeff

  14. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Udo Munk wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:11:26 -0500, Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:
    >

    >>MP/M ran OK for a few commands. I tried DIR, MPMSTAT, STAT,
    >>DUMP, SHOW, and TOD and those worked. When I tried to connect to
    >>the TCP/IP console on port 4000 that didn't seem to work but perhaps
    >>CygWin needs some tuning.

    > So all the async and interrupt driven I/O for the character devices seems
    > to work.
    > Did you copy the net_server.conf file into the directory with the cpmsim
    > executable? If not the server socked isn't opened at all. If it was there
    > and telnet connected but no MP/M propmt, Cygwin won't generate the SIGIO
    > signal for a socket connect attempt. This also could be done by polling
    > the socket for new connections, not a good solution.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    No, I did not copy net_server.conf. I tried copying it and then XP
    telnet could connect but only the cursor showed. When I typed commands
    blindly the cursor would move according the command I typed but not
    as if the appropriate output were generated.

    I then tried Putty but it would not connected at all. HyperTerminal 6.3
    connected but only showed a cursor which didn't move.

    I did figure out that one can add more ports to net_server.conf and that
    seemed to work. I will have to read more about CygWin and see if I
    left out some configuration for the networking. I also want to install
    the Xwin support and try that.

    Perhaps I will try running Z80PACK in VMware and see if it will work
    under Knoppix. Or perhaps I can download another Linux distribution
    old enough to agree with VMware 3.2.

    Thanks, Jeff

  15. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:11:48 -0500, Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:

    > No, I did not copy net_server.conf. I tried copying it and then XP
    > telnet could connect but only the cursor showed. When I typed commands
    > blindly the cursor would move according the command I typed but not
    > as if the appropriate output were generated.

    On the MP/M server side you need to copy the net_server.conf file into the
    directory with cpmsim, else the TCP/IP server code won't start listening.
    This is to avoid open TCP/IP ports to a server from the 80s with
    absolutely no security.

    The connect doesn't work, on the first connect to a MP/M console you'll
    receive the DRI copyright and then the system prompt. This probably is
    because they have not implemented SIGIO in the Cygwin socket layer.
    You can verify this with a printf() in function int_io() in iosim.c. This
    function accepts or throws away an incomming connect request from a telnet
    client and establishes the connection, probably never gets called.

    > I then tried Putty but it would not connected at all. HyperTerminal 6.3
    > connected but only showed a cursor which didn't move.

    Doesn't matter which telnet client you use, the problem is on the server
    side.

    > I did figure out that one can add more ports to net_server.conf and that
    > seemed to work. I will have to read more about CygWin and see if I left
    > out some configuration for the networking. I also want to install the
    > Xwin support and try that.

    Adding more ports to net_server.conf has no effect, because there are no
    physical ports implemented for that. The initialization in the iosim.c
    module would read the whole file and just use the last configuration line,
    because so far it even ignores the console number. The config file is
    prepared for multiple I/O ports, but so far the emulation only has one.
    Same with the net_client.conf file.

    > Perhaps I will try running Z80PACK in VMware and see if it will work
    > under Knoppix. Or perhaps I can download another Linux distribution old
    > enough to agree with VMware 3.2.

    I'm using Vmware server 1.0.x, which is free for personal usage. I haven't
    used it on Windows systems a lot, on UNIX systems it's working very well.
    That allows to run any recent UNIX distribution and there you get z80pack
    with all the features then.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  16. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:15:40 -0500, "Jeffrey W. Shook"
    wrote:

    >That matches exactly the contents of the catalog.5 file on my copy.
    >The files listed in catalog.5 total add up to 148KB.

    Well that's a start. Once it became obvious ms-dos was gonna
    conquer the world, I copied my CP/M libraries onto 5-1/4''
    floppies, and archived onto tape cartridges. Then, in the
    early 90s, copied everything onto cd-roms. Along the way
    I grabbed folders of Library stuff - not always sure if I had
    it already, or if mine was still readable.

    At least I've got a better idea where I have to look next.

    re: Public Domain - one explanation could very well be
    that once something is distributed WITHOUT the required
    copyright notice, a claim could be made that is was now
    'public'. Gates claimed EXACTLY that for his MITS Basic.
    He charged Ed Roberts had placed MBasic in the public
    domain by failing to get signed licenses back from everyone
    who acquired a copy as required by the agreement with
    micro-soft.

    That agreement, signed by Ed Roberts, Gates, and Paul
    Allen would probably be worth a hundred thousand dollars
    today. The County where it was entered into evidence said
    they DESTROYED it when they micro-filmed all their paper
    records. Unless, by chance, somebody retrieved it.

    What I'm suggesting is that perhaps Kildall, upon finding
    out that copyrighted DRI material had been distributed by
    Lifeboat (and, given the rest of the contents of that Vol
    I gotta think it was inadvertant) WITHOUT the usual DRI
    copyright notices, said something like 'well I guess it's
    in the public domain now' or something like that.

    Of course, if he REALLY intended for it to be public
    domain, WHY was it deleted? That's a key question.

    Again, only the Author, or a COURT, can place something
    in the Public Domain. The placing MUST be in writing and
    explicitly identify the material. Otherwise, while you MIGHT
    have a good legal argument, there's no mechanism that lets
    you ASSUME public domain status, or allows you to ignore
    an author's rights with impunity. You might get sued.

    Given the direction copyrights have taken since CP/M's
    heyday, I wouldn't assume ANYTHING. I'm not even sure
    it's strictly legal to play a rented DVD anymore.

    I, for one, don't know who owns Kildall's works. Or the
    copyrights in them, or the right to sue over them. He
    obviously sold SOMETHING to Novell. Now, it looks
    like Novell is getting into bed with microsoft. Go figure.

    Bill

  17. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Bill wrote:

    > What I'm suggesting is that perhaps Kildall, upon finding
    > out that copyrighted DRI material had been distributed by
    > Lifeboat (and, given the rest of the contents of that Vol
    > I gotta think it was inadvertant) WITHOUT the usual DRI
    > copyright notices, said something like 'well I guess it's
    > in the public domain now' or something like that.

    Why do you say,"WITHOUT the usual DRI copyright notices"?
    The 1975 version of BDOS.PLM, LLL v.3 has a copyright notice by Gary
    Kildall, this is pre-DRI. This source is on Gaby's site. A) It is
    'with copyright'. B) A DRI copyright of date June 1975 would be highly
    'Unusual' since DRI didn't exist yet. [Actually, I don't know the
    incorporation date of DRI, do you? The earliest DRI Copyright I've
    seen is 1976.]

    If the LLL stands for Lawrence Livermore Labs, and I suppose it does;
    there is a reference to "LLL Basic" in the early DDJ literature meaning
    Lawrence Livermore Labs Basic, then the LLL BDOS.PLM 1975 is an
    understandable occurrence. It would be understandable that Gary,
    teaching at the Naval Academy, had useful code which made its way into
    the military & academic University circles thru Arpanet. Certainly
    others in that wide circle were working with the 8080 on projects, had
    Intel development systems and had use for such code as Gary had
    developed.

    > Of course, if he REALLY intended for it to be public
    > domain, WHY was it deleted? That's a key question.

    A not very answerable question. Could just as well be somebody at
    Lifeboat saw the Copyright Notice, but not knowing there was an
    author's release, deleted them, could be they equated Copyright Gary
    Kildall == Copyright DRI. Could be the 'why' of the previous
    claimants' lament. Could be Gary intentionally contributed it to the
    arpanet community.

    HOWEVER, your "CATALOG.5 dated 04/29/84" is 9 years later than 1975,
    pretty far removed from the 1975 date, and of the understanding of the
    status of BDOS.PLM.

    Steve

    > Bill

  18. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Hello, Steve!

    >If the LLL stands for Lawrence Livermore Labs, and I suppose it does;

    Yes, of course. In an old article (I am writing this at the cybercafe,
    and I don't remember everything), it was said that, before CP/M 2, CP/M
    had been used by at least 2 American organizations, one of them being
    the LLL. Someone once mentioned a book giving the listing of LLL BASIC:
    I don't have it, but maybe there is a mention of the DOS used, back then?

    Yours Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Roche

  19. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    French Luser wrote:
    > Hello, Steve!
    >
    > >If the LLL stands for Lawrence Livermore Labs, and I suppose it does;

    > Yes, of course. In an old article (I am writing this at the cybercafe,
    > and I don't remember everything), it was said that, before CP/M 2, CP/M
    > had been used by at least 2 American organizations, one of them being
    > the LLL. Someone once mentioned a book giving the listing of LLL BASIC:
    > I don't have it, but maybe there is a mention of the DOS used, back then?
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Emmanuel Roche

    Hello Emmanuel good to see you back!

    I don't have a listing of it. My reference to it is in the Index to
    Vol. 3 of the 1978 articles of DDJ. The index covers Vol. 1 (1976),
    Vol 2. (1977), Vol. 3 (1978). and the index entry for BASIC includes:

    LLL (Lawrence Livermore Labs) (8080) 11/8-62

    11/8-62 means Issue Number 11 (Jan. 1977), pages 8..62

    Vol 3 contains the issues for 1978, numbered 21..30 inclusive, but its
    index covers Vol 1,2, and 3.

    ....However....

    Another entry in that Index under BASIC lists:= tiny: Palo Alto
    (Lichen Wang) (8080) 5/12-15, 6/35 [and other issues, for extentions]

    Now there is a tinybasic.zip with:

    ;************************************************* *************
    ;*
    ;* TINY BASIC FOR INTEL 8080
    ;* VERSION 1.0
    ;* BY LI-CHEN WANG
    ;* 10 JUNE, 1976
    ;* @COPYLEFT
    ;* ALL WRONGS RESERVED
    ;*
    ;************************************************* *************
    ;*
    ;* ;*** ZERO PAGE SUBROUTINES ***
    ;*
    ;* THE 8080 INSTRUCTION SET LETS YOU HAVE 8 ROUTINES IN LOW
    ;* MEMORY THAT MAY BE CALLED BY RST N, N BEING 0 THROUGH 7.
    ;* THIS IS A ONE BYTE INSTRUCTION AND HAS THE SAME POWER AS
    ;* THE THREE BYTE INSTRUCTION CALL LLHH. TINY BASIC WILL
    ;* USE RST 0 AS START AND RST 1 THROUGH RST 7 FOR
    ;* THE SEVEN MOST FREQUENTLY USED SUBROUTINES.
    ;* TWO OTHER SUBROUTINES (CRLF AND TSTNUM) ARE ALSO IN THIS
    ;* SECTION. THEY CAN BE REACHED ONLY BY 3-BYTE CALLS.
    ;* IN ORDER TO CONFIGURE THE SYSTEM FOR USE WITH CPM I HAVE
    ;* MOVED SOME OF THE ROUTINES AROUND. START WILL NOW BE AT
    ;* LOCATION 100H AND THIS SECTION WILL END AT LOCATION 3FH
    ;* WITH A JUMP TO 108H.
    ;*

    Which gives the date of 10 JUNE 1976 for version 1.0 and stating it is
    configured for CP/M. The Index ref. of Issue 5 gives the date of that
    issue as May 1976. Its Issue 6 is June 1976, so the above source was
    after that date [not in the article referenced], because I would think
    it couldn't make the publication cutoff date for June 1976.

    Note that the first DRI CP/M copyright date is JUNE 1976. So the CP/M
    he is using is likely GK's 1975 version, how else could it be?

    Steve

  20. Re: PLM80 ISIS compiler questions.

    Back home, I refound the reference to LLL in a print-out of a
    WS4 file that is on one of my Epson QX-10 floppies (that I have
    not yet transferred to an IBM Clown). (Some excerpts of this
    file ("CPMHIST.WS4") where published in TCJ ("The Computer
    Journal") in the issue dealing with the death of Gary Kildall.
    This file contains the oldest articles I was able to find about
    CP/M.) Below is the paragraph were LLL is mentioned:

    "Meanwhile, John Torode redesigned and refined our original
    controller and produced his first complete computer system,
    marketed under his company name, Digital Systems (which later
    became Digital Microsystems). The first commercial licensing of
    CP/M took place in 1975 with contracts between Digital Systems
    and Omron of America for use in their intelligent terminal, and
    with Lawrence Livermore Laboratories where CP/M was used to
    monitor programs in the Octopus network. Little was paid to CP/M
    for about a year. In my spare time, I worked to improve overall
    facilities, and added an editor, assembler, and debugger which
    were predecessors of the current ED, ASM, and DDT programs. By
    this time, CP/M has been adapted for 4 different controllers."

    The man who wrote those lines was named Gary Kildall, and the
    references of the article is: "The Evolution of an Industry: One
    Person's Viewpoint", DDJ, No.41, JAN 1980, Vol.5, No.1, p.6.
    (This particular issue of DDJ is interesting, since it is a
    "Special CP/M Issue".)

    Hope it helps.

    (Now that I have several thousands pages of doc, a tool like
    GREP (to find strings like "LLL" among all those WS4 files)
    would be very useful. Does someone know of such a tool? For
    CP/M? For MS-DOS? Source code available? Else, it will be
    "yet another programming project"...)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Roche