TRS-80 model 100 - CP/M

This is a discussion on TRS-80 model 100 - CP/M ; I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a TRS-80 model 100, but I couldn't find it on google. With 32K ram it may be a little small. It would seem possible to go to 64K through the ...

  1. TRS-80 model 100

    I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    TRS-80 model 100, but I couldn't find it on google.

    With 32K ram it may be a little small. It would seem possible
    to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    the internal ROM.

    -- glen

  2. Re: TRS-80 model 100

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 01:24:17 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    >TRS-80 model 100, but I couldn't find it on google.
    >
    >With 32K ram it may be a little small. It would seem possible
    >to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    >the internal ROM.
    >
    >-- glen

    You can do it in 32k but many of the larger apps will not fit.
    The real issue is that the Rom is the first 32k which is where CP/M
    wants to be. However the deisgn is capable of shadowing off the
    rom and allowing ram to reside. However, you still need a
    boot/copy process to get the system initialized. Not a hard
    task but as supplied not a "nominal config". Then there is the
    issue of mass storage (CF, SD are excellent candidates).

    Allison

  3. Re: TRS-80 model 100

    On Feb 16, 4:24*am, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    > TRS-80 model 100, but I couldn't find it on google.
    >
    > With 32K ram it may be a little small. *It would seem possible
    > to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    > the internal ROM.
    >
    > -- glen

    --------
    There are several internal memory expansion boards available for the
    M100 which permit remapping, expanding and replacing the RAM/ROM; as
    you say, CP/M wouldn't be very feasible without that.

    The latest revision of the VirtualT emulator now also emulates that
    expansion memory AFAIK.

    Progress has stalled somewhat at the moment due to higher priorities
    for some key players; AFAIK CP/M console I/O is done and work is
    progressing on file I/O.

    If you're interested there's a mailing list at:

    -could always use more folks with CP/M experience & knowledge that are
    interested in an M100 "port".

    mike

  4. Re: TRS-80 model 100

    We will have a simple little plug in card shortly that has 1MB of
    flash and 128k of sram. Should be possible to write some drivers that
    utilize at least 512k of flash as a small solid state disk.

    www.istop.com/~sadolph has information on my M100 hardware
    projects.

    Once we get an all ram capability, and some approach on the "drive" we
    can make more progress.

    I also have plans for a simple SVGA card for the M100, we'll see how
    that works out.

    On Feb 17, 12:51*pm, MikeS wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 4:24*am, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:> I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    > >TRS-80model100, but I couldn't find it on google.

    > > With 32K ram it may be a little small. *It would seem possible
    > > to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    > > the internal ROM.

    > > -- glen

    > --------
    > There are several internal memory expansion boards available for the
    > M100 which permit remapping, expanding and replacing the RAM/ROM; as
    > you say, CP/M wouldn't be very feasible without that.
    >
    > The latest revision of the VirtualT emulator now also emulates that
    > expansion memory AFAIK.
    >
    > Progress has stalled somewhat at the moment due to higher priorities
    > for some key players; AFAIK CP/M console I/O is done and work is
    > progressing on file I/O.

    > -could always use more folks with CP/M experience & knowledge that are
    > interested in an M100 "port".
    >
    > mike

  5. Re: TRS-80 model 100

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:48:06 -0800 (PST), twospruces
    wrote:

    >We will have a simple little plug in card shortly that has 1MB of
    >flash and 128k of sram. Should be possible to write some drivers that
    >utilize at least 512k of flash as a small solid state disk.

    If it's possible to have a 64k ram map and paging allows access to the
    512K it's a cinch.

    >www.istop.com/~sadolph has information on my M100 hardware
    >projects.
    >
    >Once we get an all ram capability, and some approach on the "drive" we
    >can make more progress.

    Ram/rom or flash drives are easy for CP/M. The real trick is to
    implement with as few page swaps and other moving around other than
    what has to happen or it can run way too slow.

    >I also have plans for a simple SVGA card for the M100, we'll see how
    >that works out.

    The problem with SVGA on 8085 (or Z80) is the memory map and amount of
    CPU cycles needed to do simple things like scroll a line or put up a
    char. It can be done but dont expect fast.

    Allison

    >On Feb 17, 12:51*pm, MikeS wrote:
    >> On Feb 16, 4:24*am, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:> I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    >> >TRS-80model100, but I couldn't find it on google.

    >> > With 32K ram it may be a little small. *It would seem possible
    >> > to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    >> > the internal ROM.

    >> > -- glen

    >> --------
    >> There are several internal memory expansion boards available for the
    >> M100 which permit remapping, expanding and replacing the RAM/ROM; as
    >> you say, CP/M wouldn't be very feasible without that.
    >>
    >> The latest revision of the VirtualT emulator now also emulates that
    >> expansion memory AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Progress has stalled somewhat at the moment due to higher priorities
    >> for some key players; AFAIK CP/M console I/O is done and work is
    >> progressing on file I/O.

    >> -could always use more folks with CP/M experience & knowledge that are
    >> interested in an M100 "port".
    >>
    >> mike

  6. Re: TRS-80 model 100

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:51:19 -0800 (PST), MikeS
    wrote:

    >On Feb 16, 4:24*am, glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    >> I thought I remembered discussion here on running CP/M on a
    >> TRS-80 model 100, but I couldn't find it on google.
    >>
    >> With 32K ram it may be a little small. *It would seem possible
    >> to go to 64K through the expansion connector, or put CP/M in
    >> the internal ROM.
    >>
    >> -- glen

    >--------
    >There are several internal memory expansion boards available for the
    >M100 which permit remapping, expanding and replacing the RAM/ROM; as
    >you say, CP/M wouldn't be very feasible without that.
    >
    >The latest revision of the VirtualT emulator now also emulates that
    >expansion memory AFAIK.
    >
    >Progress has stalled somewhat at the moment due to higher priorities
    >for some key players; AFAIK CP/M console I/O is done and work is
    >progressing on file I/O.
    >
    >If you're interested there's a mailing list at:
    >
    >-could always use more folks with CP/M experience & knowledge that are
    >interested in an M100 "port".

    I can answer questions and maybe even show code snippets. However
    since I modded my M100 is a very different direction I'd have to rip
    that out before I could run that memory mod and code for it. Mine
    however now has a 32mb CF inside so i'm less likely to give that'
    up (8 selectable 8mb drives) as it tied to my memory manager.

    Allison

    >mike

+ Reply to Thread