Zenith Z-100 memory card - CP/M

This is a discussion on Zenith Z-100 memory card - CP/M ; Does anyone have any info. or pointers to documentation for a S-100 card that came from a Z-100? It is identified as a "256K Dynamic RAM" (PN 85-2898-1). It has two 8 position dip switches (lower left and lower center ...

  1. Zenith Z-100 memory card

    Does anyone have any info. or pointers to documentation for a S-100
    card that came from a Z-100? It is identified as a "256K Dynamic
    RAM" (PN 85-2898-1). It has two 8 position dip switches (lower left
    and lower center right) and a number of jumpers (six at center left
    and a five position set of jumpers dead center in the board). The 8
    position dip switch at the lower center right is next to a 74LS688, so
    I suspect that it is not a regular memory board, and might be a RAM
    disk instead? Why else would there be an identity comparator?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Zenith Z-100 memory card

    On Feb 14, 11:59 pm, rzh_no...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Does anyone have any info. or pointers to documentation for a S-100
    > card that came from a Z-100? It is identified as a "256K Dynamic
    > RAM" (PN 85-2898-1).

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs.../s_zenith.html

    says:

    Other Heath Zenith Z-100 cards:
    Heath/Zenith model 256K DRAM cards, 85-2898-1, labled 181-3917. 64K
    DRAMS 200ns, (priced) with manual.

    I'll provide a good photocopy of the manual for a per-page fee plus
    postage and handling. I've provided a S-100 manual service for years,
    well before the Web and Internet. I have manuals from well over one
    hunded S-100 companies; I list those and other companies on my S-100
    home page:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s100.html

    including the Heath Zenith Z-100 S-100 series (Z-110, Z-120). Contact
    me at the email addresses below for details. (Do not use the "gmail"
    address for this post, it is a "write only" address for posting only.)

    Herb Johnson
    "Dr." S-100

    erbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

  3. Re: Zenith Z-100 memory card

    That is the Z-205 memory card. It's a 256k card (4 banks of 4164's with
    parity). It is IEEE 696 generic ... it's use is not limited to Z-100's.
    I have a full original manual right here in front of me. This is one
    of the few Z-100 series manuals that I never scanned to a PDF file,
    apparently. The manual is 72 pages, but only six pages are really
    necessary to use the card. I may try to scan them later this weekend or
    next week. It is a "regular" memory card, but it has a lot of options
    as to how it can be used, both some dip switches and some jumpers.

    Barry Watzman
    Former Product Line Director
    Heathkit Computers and Zenith Data Systems
    [and the architect of the Z-100 computer]

    rzh_nocal@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Does anyone have any info. or pointers to documentation for a S-100
    > card that came from a Z-100? It is identified as a "256K Dynamic
    > RAM" (PN 85-2898-1). It has two 8 position dip switches (lower left
    > and lower center right) and a number of jumpers (six at center left
    > and a five position set of jumpers dead center in the board). The 8
    > position dip switch at the lower center right is next to a 74LS688, so
    > I suspect that it is not a regular memory board, and might be a RAM
    > disk instead? Why else would there be an identity comparator?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread