text editor - CP/M

This is a discussion on text editor - CP/M ; What would be a good program for editing text, something less complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton Commander".. Roger...

  1. text editor

    What would be a good program for editing text, something less
    complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and
    wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton Commander"..

    Roger

  2. Re: text editor

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:45:21 GMT, Roger Schmidt
    wrote:

    >What would be a good program for editing text, something less
    >complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and
    >wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton Commander"..
    >
    >Roger

    depends... Do you want a screen editor or a line editor? From what
    you ask a screen editor is what MC has.

    You might look at ZDE, VDE or Wordstar. There are many others
    but watch as some may require C128 video or other system specific
    video display.

    I bought Vedit 28 years ago and it was the right one for me and I
    still use it as it's both small 14k, configurable as I use it with
    VT320, Vt340, VT100 and H19 and it's both scren oriented and can
    handle Teco macros if needed.

    Allison

  3. Re: text editor

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:45:21 GMT, Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > What would be a good program for editing text, something less
    > complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and
    > wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton Commander"..

    I recall using VDE.COM as a text editor. It was small and fast, and
    configurable. It used the same command structure as WordStar, only without
    the overhead. The CP/M version is no longer supported and is not avail on
    the VDE website, but if you can find a copy, it is a superb screen-oriented
    text editor. (It was rewritten for MS-DOS use and THAT version is still
    around.)

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  4. Re: text editor

    On Feb 7, 12:26 pm, Jim Bianchi wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:45:21 GMT, Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > > What would be a good program for editing text, something less
    > > complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and
    > > wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton Commander"..

    > I recall using VDE.COM as a text editor. It was small and fast, and
    > configurable. It used the same command structure as WordStar, only without
    > the overhead. The CP/M version is no longer supported and is not avail on
    > the VDE website, but if you can find a copy, it is a superb screen-oriented
    > text editor. (It was rewritten for MS-DOS use and THAT version is still
    > around.)

    I agree ... when I was testing my Forth-94 text editor on a CP/M
    Forth-94 compiler, I used VDE to do the editing to the point that the
    Forth-94 text editor came up.

    I think you might be able CP/M VDE v2.3 at:

    http://www.fvempel.nl/vde23.zip

    That says it runs on PCW 8256/8512 using CP/M 3.0, but AFAIR, its the
    full vde2.3 distribution.

    Also there is the CP/M UNZIP.COM

    http://www.fvempel.nl/unzip.com

    (NB., not an archive, the CP/M .COM binary itself) ... and the last
    version of MS-DOS pkzip that handled v1.1 (that is, CP/M zip) files:

    http://www.fvempel.nl/pkz110.exe

    Otherwise, some of the simulators include a version of VDE in their
    utilities disk images.

  5. Re: text editor

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:54:33 -0800 (PST), BruceMcF wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 12:26 pm, Jim Bianchi wrote:
    >> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:45:21 GMT, Roger Schmidt wrote:
    >> > What would be a good program for editing text, something less
    >> > complicated than ED, has a small file size, without to many bells and
    >> > wistles, just a plain old text editor, like the one in "Norton
    >> > Commander"..

    >> I recall using VDE.COM as a text editor. It was small and fast,
    >> and configurable. It used the same command structure as WordStar, only
    >> without the overhead. The CP/M version is no longer supported and is not
    >> avail on the VDE website, but if you can find a copy, it is a superb
    >> screen-oriented text editor. (It was rewritten for MS-DOS use and THAT
    >> version is still around.)

    > I agree ... when I was testing my Forth-94 text editor on a CP/M
    > Forth-94 compiler, I used VDE to do the editing to the point that the
    > Forth-94 text editor came up.
    >
    > I think you might be able CP/M VDE v2.3 at:
    >
    > http://www.fvempel.nl/vde23.zip
    >
    > That says it runs on PCW 8256/8512 using CP/M 3.0, but AFAIR, its the
    > full vde2.3 distribution.
    >
    > Also there is the CP/M UNZIP.COM
    >
    > http://www.fvempel.nl/unzip.com
    >
    > (NB., not an archive, the CP/M .COM binary itself) ... and the last
    > version of MS-DOS pkzip that handled v1.1 (that is, CP/M zip) files:
    >
    > http://www.fvempel.nl/pkz110.exe
    >
    > Otherwise, some of the simulators include a version of VDE in their
    > utilities disk images.

    Thanks, this is good to know. One of the things I liked about VDE
    was that it kept the entire file being edited in RAM, so moving around in a
    long file was very fast (no paging to/from disc as WordStar did). Of course,
    it had a built in way to paste two (or more) long files together (as well as
    a way to do the reverse such that a very long file could be broken up for
    editing). It was versatile and could handle several different filetypes, to
    the point that, say, a ms-word doc could be read in and written out as a
    flat ASCII file (and vice versa). Except for the paging into/from disc, I
    never found anything WordStar could do that it couldn't.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,
    fsck, umount, make clean, sleep. (Who needs porn when you have /usr/bin?)

+ Reply to Thread