Aztec C compilers - CP/M

This is a discussion on Aztec C compilers - CP/M ; Hello On this site: http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)). It ...

  1. Aztec C compilers

    Hello

    On this site:
    http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html
    I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus
    utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image
    Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)).
    It would be interested to check what's inside. Does anybody can do
    that?

    Regards
    Marko

  2. Re: Aztec C compilers

    marko1511@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > On this site:
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html
    > I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus
    > utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image
    > Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)).
    > It would be interested to check what's inside. Does anybody can do
    > that?
    >
    > Regards
    > Marko

    These disk images are binary copies from PC formatted floppy disks, they
    are NOT CP/M related. 360KB means 2 sides of 40 tracks with 9 sectors.
    Try to write them back with my tools, downloadble at
    http://www.z80.eu/downloads/readimg.zip and
    http://www.z80.eu/downloads/writeimg.zip or use an other program which
    is able to write PC formatted disk images back to a floppy.
    If you will try my mentioned tools:
    Format them with FORMAT A: /T:40 /N:9 before you try to write the image
    back.

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  3. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.') wrote:
    > marko1511@poczta.onet.pl wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> On this site:
    >> http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html
    >> I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus
    >> utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image
    >> Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)).
    >> It would be interested to check what's inside. Does anybody can do
    >> that?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Marko

    > These disk images are binary copies from PC formatted floppy disks, they
    > are NOT CP/M related. 360KB means 2 sides of 40 tracks with 9 sectors.
    > Try to write them back with my tools, downloadble at
    > http://www.z80.eu/downloads/readimg.zip and
    > http://www.z80.eu/downloads/writeimg.zip or use an other program which
    > is able to write PC formatted disk images back to a floppy.
    > If you will try my mentioned tools:
    > Format them with FORMAT A: /T:40 /N:9 before you try to write the image
    > back.
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    Btw.... if you dislike to use command line tools, try to use WINIMAGE
    (commercial software, but really good).

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  4. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.') wrote:
    > These disk images are binary copies from PC formatted floppy disks, they
    > are NOT CP/M related. 360KB means 2 sides of 40 tracks with 9 sectors.
    > Try to write them back with my tools, downloadble at
    > http://www.z80.eu/downloads/readimg.zip and
    > http://www.z80.eu/downloads/writeimg.zip or use an other program which
    > is able to write PC formatted disk images back to a floppy.
    > If you will try my mentioned tools:
    > Format them with FORMAT A: /T:40 /N:9 before you try to write the image
    > back.

    It's still true, these disk images are made on a PC (not on a CP/M
    system), but it seems it's NOT ONLY a binary image of a floppy.
    It's made with a program which uses a header 'WC DISK IMAGE' and several
    bytes leading each track, that makes it a bit tricky (you have to delete
    theses bytes manually if you do not have a program for it).
    But fortunately there is one at
    http://www.datapackrat.com/utilities/f2d.html (you see, it's near by ...).

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  5. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello.

    marko1511@poczta.onet.pl wrote in message ...
    >Hello
    >
    >On this site:
    >http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html
    >I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus
    >utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image
    >Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)).
    >It would be interested to check what's inside. Does anybody can do
    >that?
    >
    >Regards
    >Marko

    Thanks to the explanation of Peter Dassow and f2d I could make zipfiles of the
    first four disks and put them in a temp directory:

    www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/az34b_14.zip
    www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/az34b_24.zip
    www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/az34b_34.zip
    www.nostalgia8.nl/tijdelijk/az34b_44.zip

    When they are alright I'll do more tomorrow.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  6. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello
    Thank you very much for your fast responses.
    Of course, I missed the excellent utility EXTRACT.EXE (also on this
    site) that enables simply unpacking an image direct into a folder and
    viewing all files.
    Frankly speaking I hoped that I would find there the last Manx Aztec C
    compiler for CP/M-86 (as far as I know 4.1) with some ANSI features or
    at least the cross compiler from DOS to CP/M-86.

    Best regards
    Marko

  7. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello.

    marko1511@poczta.onet.pl wrote in message ...

    >Frankly speaking I hoped that I would find there the last Manx Aztec C
    >compiler for CP/M-86 (as far as I know 4.1) with some ANSI features or
    >at least the cross compiler from DOS to CP/M-86.

    So no need anymore of the next version, which is Aztec C86, v4.10c in 3 parts?

    Greetz, Katzy.

  8. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Katzy wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > marko1511@poczta.onet.pl wrote in message ...
    >
    >> Frankly speaking I hoped that I would find there the last Manx Aztec C
    >> compiler for CP/M-86 (as far as I know 4.1) with some ANSI features or
    >> at least the cross compiler from DOS to CP/M-86.

    > So no need anymore of the next version, which is Aztec C86, v4.10c in 3 parts?
    >
    > Greetz, Katzy.

    Hi Katzy,

    could you please tell me, where I can find this version?
    Do you have a manual for this version? Would be interested.

    Thanks,

    Uwe.

  9. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello Uwe.

    Uwe Nass wrote in message ...
    >Katzy wrote:

    >> So no need anymore of the next version, which is Aztec C86, v4.10c in 3

    parts?

    >> Greetz, Katzy.
    >>

    >Hi Katzy,
    >
    >could you please tell me, where I can find this version?
    >Do you have a manual for this version? Would be interested.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Uwe.

    Read the first message in this thread. I made zips of the discimages. See my
    message of feb. 6th. too.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  10. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Katzy wrote:
    > Hello Uwe.
    >
    > Uwe Nass wrote in message ...
    >> Katzy wrote:

    >>> So no need anymore of the next version, which is Aztec C86, v4.10c in 3

    > parts?
    >>> Greetz, Katzy.
    >>>

    >> Hi Katzy,
    >>
    >> could you please tell me, where I can find this version?
    >> Do you have a manual for this version? Would be interested.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    > Read the first message in this thread. I made zips of the discimages. See my
    > message of feb. 6th. too.
    >
    > Greetz, Katzy.

    Hi Katzy,

    thanks for the quick response, but.... All the Aztec diskimages,
    mentioned in the first post of this thread are for DOS not CP/M-86.
    I cannot find your message of feb. 6th. too. Did I miss something?

    Greetings,

    Uwe.

  11. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello Uwe.

    Uwe Nass wrote in message ...

    >thanks for the quick response, but.... All the Aztec diskimages,
    >mentioned in the first post of this thread are for DOS not CP/M-86.
    >I cannot find your message of feb. 6th. too. Did I miss something?

    No, you did not miss anything. I put those DOS diskimages back onto disk and
    made zipfiles which you could download. The several versions described on this
    page 004.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  12. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hallo Katzy

    > So no need anymore of the next version, which is Aztec C86, v4.10c in 3 parts?

    Of course, I need! But this is not CP/M-86 version nor DOS cross
    compiler to CP/M-86.

    But first of all I do not know exactly the history of the Aztec C
    compilers for CP/M-86. What was mainly discussed here in this news
    group before was version 3.2 (Manx Aztec C86 3.2D). So it seems to be
    the last version that works under CP/M-86

    However Richard Plinston has mentioned here a professional version of
    this compiler (Aztec Professional 4.1d) which can cross compile from
    within DOS to CP/M-86. And therefore I hoped that the version found in
    www.datapackrat.com is that one I search for. Unfortunately, this one
    is 'C' not 'D' and probably can not do the cross compiling. I have
    read all 3 disks and found no information about this feature. No docs,
    no switches, nothing.

    But maybe I am wrong and it can do it actually. It would be nice if
    someone could explain us the history of Aztec C compilers for CP/M-86:
    which was the last one for the platform, and which was the last one
    with the cross compiling feature. And if it is available anywhere (the
    compiler and documentation) - having even simplified ANSI version
    would be good for the present day C programmers.

    Best regards
    Marko

  13. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello.

    <5507e3f1-956d-4476-94f8-4d3f22af3028@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>...

    >But first of all I do not know exactly the history of the Aztec C
    >compilers for CP/M-86.

    You can read more in a wiki (not really cp/m-86 mentioned):

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec-C

    which leads you to:

    http://www.clipshop.ca/Aztec/

    Aztec C86 for the 8086
    Version 4.2b
    9/29/89
    Rebundled for Windows XP

    A version about which he writes:

    This is my almost-if-not-complete already installed version of the Manx Aztec
    C86 Version 4.2b MS-DOS development environment for the 8086 processor. While
    targeted at MS-DOS, it can also produce programs for CPM/86 and 8086 ROM-able
    HEX code. I no longer have the original distribution disks.

    >What was mainly discussed here in this news
    >group before was version 3.2 (Manx Aztec C86 3.2D). So it seems to be
    >the last version that works under CP/M-86

    Have you seen page 003 in www.datapackrat.com ? There is such a version on it,
    but I do not know if it is DOS or CP/M.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  14. Re: Aztec C compilers

    wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > On this site:
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/diskimages/page004.html
    > I have found several Aztec C compilers (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) plus
    > utilities. Unfortunately they are in 360 KB disk images and my Image
    > Viewer cannot read them (maybe because of CP/M format (?)).
    > It would be interested to check what's inside. Does anybody can do
    > that?

    Hi Everyone...

    I see you've stumbled across my website. I'm glad you've
    found something you can use.

    I'm going to gather some of the responses and reply in one
    note.

    I still have my original distribution disks, and at least the 5.2
    manual (I think I have the 4.1 manual around, but I'd have to
    dig for it). If people are interested, I can photocopy it and
    send you a copy. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment
    to scan it right now (I have a scanner, but the documentation
    is HUGE -- 5.2 is 500 to 1000 double sided 8.5" x 11" pages
    -- and I'm not going to do that on a simple flatbed scanner).
    Please contact me privately (email is on the datapackrat website)
    about that.

    The F2D and D2F programs are decendents of programs I
    wrote for DOS anti-virus "back in the day". Back then, there
    was a need to send entire floppies via modem, and the only
    "real" program out there was Teledisk, which had several
    problems (no support for later DOS versions, it was someone
    elses commercial program, lack of support for imaging disks
    with extra tracks holding the virus, etc), so a program set was
    created to image a disk which could then be sent to us and
    recreated. Along with the file header, it also contains a
    per-sector header so that disks with bad sectors could also
    be read and recreated. I decided to use this for my disk
    archiving because the disks (and drives!) are getting old and
    unreliable, and sometimes a partial read is better than nothing.

    And, as I said on the website, I also have many disk images
    that are not on the website yet (some of the old software I
    had written got involved in a legal battle -- not with distributing
    it, but as 3rd party prior art in patent battle), and many disks
    (both floppy and hard) that I haven't imaged yet. If I run
    across anything that would be useful for Azted or CP/M in
    general, I'll post a note in this newsgroup.

    Bill

  15. Re: Aztec C compilers

    datapackrat wrote:

    (snip)

    > I still have my original distribution disks, and at least the 5.2
    > manual (I think I have the 4.1 manual around, but I'd have to
    > dig for it). If people are interested, I can photocopy it and
    > send you a copy. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment
    > to scan it right now (I have a scanner, but the documentation
    > is HUGE -- 5.2 is 500 to 1000 double sided 8.5" x 11" pages
    > -- and I'm not going to do that on a simple flatbed scanner).
    > Please contact me privately (email is on the datapackrat website)
    > about that.

    I have a automatic feed scanner. If it is loose leaf it doesn't
    take long at all. If one wanted to send it, I could scan
    it and send a PDF to those who wanted one, and also to
    bitsavers. With a little luck (not too many misfeeds) I
    can get through 1000 double side pages in an hour.

    -- glen

  16. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Hello.

    datapackrat wrote in message ...

    >The F2D and D2F programs are decendents of programs I
    >wrote for DOS anti-virus "back in the day". Back then, there
    >was a need to send entire floppies via modem, and the only
    >"real" program out there was Teledisk, which had several
    >problems (no support for later DOS versions, it was someone
    >elses commercial program, lack of support for imaging disks
    >with extra tracks holding the virus, etc), so a program set was
    >created to image a disk which could then be sent to us and
    >recreated. Along with the file header, it also contains a
    >per-sector header so that disks with bad sectors could also
    >be read and recreated. I decided to use this for my disk
    >archiving because the disks (and drives!) are getting old and
    >unreliable, and sometimes a partial read is better than nothing.

    The F2D program works excellent. Thanks. When I go on (which I don't I'll
    have all your disks on disk. F2D and D2F look like FDC that I use for reading
    and writing Acorn BBC disks and images, it even seems to be able to read their
    CPM and Torch CPN.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  17. Re: Aztec C compilers

    Katzy wrote:

    >> What was mainly discussed here in this news
    >> group before was version 3.2 (Manx Aztec C86 3.2D). So it seems to be
    >> the last version that works under CP/M-86

    > Have you seen page 003 in www.datapackrat.com ? There is such a version on it,
    > but I do not know if it is DOS or CP/M.
    >
    > Greetz, Katzy.

    Hi,

    the version 3.2 of the Aztec Compiler on the datapack
    web site is definitively for MS-DOS! There is a CP/M-86
    version on

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.html

    called AZTEC302.ZIP. This one is definitively AZTEC 3.2D
    for CP/M-86 since in CC.CMD you will find the following
    string:

    Aztec-C 3.20d 7-18-85 (C) 1982,83,84,85 by Manx Software Systems Inc.

    A MS-DOS Word document for this version is there, too:
    AZTEC_C86_V3_2D_MANUAL.ZIP. So the question remains, is this
    the LAST version for CP/M or are there later ones?

    Regards,

    Uwe.

  18. Re: Aztec C compilers

    > So the question remains, is this
    > the LAST version for CP/M or are there later ones?

    For native mode CP/M-86 I believe this (v3.X) was the last version but
    I have no evidendence. I bought some compilers from them at the end of
    the '80's and when I did not all the compilers for each platform were
    at the same version.

    Aztec-C86 MS-DOS versions 3.X and 4.X provided cross-compilation of CP/
    M-86 code which runs quite happily in a CP/M-86 emulator within the
    limitations of said emulator. By the time Aztec C86 v5X was released
    (the first and last I believe C86 ANSI compiler), support had been
    removed for CP/M-86 and the focus had moved more to ROMable code.

    I would like to thank everyone who posted to this thread. I truly
    enjoyed visiting the various websites and putting together and running
    all the old aztec compilers. Datapackrat, you are amazing!

    I am also doing research on whatever happened to aztec C and I have
    lots of contact info for two of their founders, Harry Suckow and Jim
    Goodnow II, and believe that I will eventually have contact info for
    Thomas Fenwick and maybe even Mike Spille who worked on the last C86
    release. I am still wrestling with actually picking-up the phone and
    talking to these folks and I want to make sure that all my Wikipedia
    articles and Aztec-C museum website are in first-rate shape before I
    do. I am also not sure what happened there so want to tread lightly
    and not be too intrusive.

    Goodnow and Fenwick are low profile but their technical
    accomplishments after Aztec-C are amazing. Carl Sassenrath and Goodnow
    worked at VIDStream and on REBOL. Carl is still around too and low
    profile as well and as far as Fenwick he could still be at Microsoft
    and he sure did a wonderful thing when he wrote the Windows CE Kernel
    (NK) and is one of my heroes for sure,

    One of my goals over the longer term is to try and get a copy of every
    Aztec-C compiler ever produced for everything and offer them all on
    one CD preconfigured for Windows XP and a number of other
    environments. That would be cool. That ties in with my own goal to
    virtualize everything before it is lost forever. Before you get
    worried just remember that this is only a hobby for me and I have two
    careers on the go so I am not really nuts

    A perhaps more realistic goal is more in line with questions about
    versions.

    An Aztec-C timeline in both a text and jpeg format would be good and
    would answer questions like the many I have had since starting this
    Aztec-C resurrection of mine last year.

    At the risk of cross-posting which is always frowned-on, here is what
    I am in the process of getting ready to put on my aztec c museum
    website (this is a hybrid environment that offers a native and cross
    compiler both for CPM-86). The below is an abridged version of the
    readme that will soon be on the website with this package at

    http://www.clipshop.ca/Aztec/index.htm

    I also want to add samples for CPM/86 for any of the aztecC86
    compilers available for download preconfigured for Windows XP
    production. Which means for me at least that I need to use them,
    provide samples for them, and just generally make them easier for
    other folks.

    Join me if you like.

    Later,

    Bill

    x--- snip ---x

    ReadMe for C:\AZCPM32d
    March, 2008

    Manx Aztec C86
    Version 3.2d
    Developer System
    for CP/M-86
    Target: X86 Native Code

    CP/M-86 development environment for 8086 and compatible computers
    Preconfigured for Windows XP

    With samples.

    This document is intended for expert developers and novices alike.

    Disclaimer and Conditions of Use

    This compiler is Aztec C 8086 3.20d 7-18-85 (C) 1982,83,84,85 by Manx
    Software Systems, Inc. I cannot provide you with a legally licenced
    copy.

    I herewith grant you a non-exclusive conditional licence to use any
    and all
    of my work included with this compiler for whatever use you deem fit,
    provided you do not take credit for my work, and that you leave my
    copyright
    notices intact in all of it.

    I believe everything I have written to be correct. Regardless, I, Bill
    Buckels, do not guarantee, or warranty, in whole or in part, any of
    this,
    and further do not offer support for any of this. All of this is
    provided
    as-is. See licence.txt for further details.

    Bill Buckels
    bbuckels@eascape.ca

    Introduction

    This is a complete Aztec C build environment for Windows XP (MS-DOS)
    which
    will enable you to produce X86 programs for use under CP/M-86. No
    support is
    provided for Windows programming and limited support is provided for
    MS-DOS programming.

    The flavour of C that is used is not ANSI compliant. However I am
    pleased
    to be able to provide the original documentation for this compiler.

    This is very much a hybrid environment but is also probably the most
    completely functional CP/M-86 C programming environment that one could
    put together under Windows XP.

    I had problems using the original commands that came with the Aztec C
    CP/M-86
    version 3.2d using the CPM86 emulator so I replaced them with the
    equivalent
    commands from the Aztec C C-86 version 3.4b to provide a Windows XP
    build
    environment for creating CP/M-86 .CMD programs. In my MAKEFILEs for
    the
    sample programs that I have put in place I am creating a DOS 2.0 .COM
    as well as a CPM .CMD I wanted to provide the option of testing these
    programs
    under the XP cmd window with and without the CPM86.EXE emulator.

    Review the contents of each directory and their subdirectories for
    more
    information. Always save a copy of your original directory if
    modifying or
    building anything.

    If you don't know what CP/M-86 was you didn't miss much because of the
    way
    everything turned-out but should probably read the Wikipedia article
    for
    a synopsis:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M-86

    OTOH without the assisted suicide of CP/M Microsoft arguably may not
    have
    been the power that it is today... a point for discussion that makes
    little
    difference now.

    Another link especially if you think you have missed something is the
    Unofficial CP/M Web Site:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/

    Getting Started

    Unzip the ZIP file(s) with directories intact onto the root of your C:
    Drive. The Windows XP shortcut has been pre-configured to use this
    directory
    structure.

    Open the C:\AZCPM32d folder in MyComputer and click-on the shortcut. A
    cmd
    window will open, and you will be in the C:\AZCPM32d directory which
    is the
    parent directory for this environment. The required environment
    variables to
    build Aztec C programs are set for you, and you can build these
    anywhere on
    your computer from this cmd window.

    You must be somewhat familiar with DOS commands to use this build
    environment. You must CD (Chdir) to each programs build directory.

    You can test the environment by building the programs in the SAMPLES
    subdirectories. Each has its own MAKEFILE which will build the program
    simply
    by typing "make" and pressing [ENTER] while in each's project
    directory under
    SAMPLES.

    You can even copy the XP shortcut that I have provided to your working
    directory and set that as your startup directory to avoid much typing.

    To recap, in any of the program build directories just type "Make" and
    press
    enter to make any of the programs provided as samples. Provided you
    have
    used the XP shortcut noted above, you should have no problems.
    Otherwise use
    a DOS emulator like DOSBox in which case you will need to set-up your
    own
    environment by modifying C:\AZCPM32d\AZTEC.BAT.

    What You Will Need

    All you need is the ability to write and compile programs in the C
    programming language.

    Review the various ReadMe files and source code in this environment
    for
    additional notes. Or better yet, just build the sample programs and
    experiment.

    Have Fun!

    Bill Buckels
    bbuckels@escape.ca