Idea that has been bouncing around in my head - CP/M

This is a discussion on Idea that has been bouncing around in my head - CP/M ; I have been thinking about this idea for awhile, but have never gotten around to really doing it, maybe someone out there could tell me if it is even possible before I did. What I was thinking of doing is ...

  1. Idea that has been bouncing around in my head

    I have been thinking about this idea for awhile, but have never gotten
    around to really doing it, maybe someone out there could tell me if it
    is even possible before I did.

    What I was thinking of doing is taking one of my older systems,
    putting in a 400mb drive (or there abouts). Installing Msdos and then
    installing a cp/m emulator (myz80 or similar). Loading all the
    software I would want to use in cp/m (wordstar dbase or the like) and
    when done, setting the system to autorun the myz80. Basically make a
    dedicated cp/m system (though emulated of course). Now, once all this
    is done, I would take that HD, put it in a windows machine, create an
    auto booting ISO of the drive and then burn it to CD. What I would end
    up with is a cd rom that, when inserted in a pc and booted, would
    automatically give me a cp/m system with all my files already
    installed. The only problem would be that they would all be read
    only.

    I know this sounds like rambling but what are your thoughts if any?

    Bill H

  2. Re: Idea that has been bouncing around in my head

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 04:49:41 -0800 (PST), Bill H
    wrote:

    >I have been thinking about this idea for awhile, but have never gotten
    >around to really doing it, maybe someone out there could tell me if it
    >is even possible before I did.
    >
    >What I was thinking of doing is taking one of my older systems,
    >putting in a 400mb drive (or there abouts). Installing Msdos and then
    >installing a cp/m emulator (myz80 or similar). Loading all the
    >software I would want to use in cp/m (wordstar dbase or the like) and
    >when done, setting the system to autorun the myz80. Basically make a
    >dedicated cp/m system (though emulated of course). Now, once all this
    >is done, I would take that HD, put it in a windows machine, create an
    >auto booting ISO of the drive and then burn it to CD. What I would end
    >up with is a cd rom that, when inserted in a pc and booted, would
    >automatically give me a cp/m system with all my files already
    >installed. The only problem would be that they would all be read
    >only.
    >
    >I know this sounds like rambling but what are your thoughts if any?
    >
    >Bill H

    I've done similar save for I skipped the CDrom. With an abundance
    of old IDE disks in the 100-500mb range it didn't make sense. It also
    saved the need to have a cdrom drive.

    I've done that. the only thing I did different was I used a older
    small sized 486/66box with 16mb ram 420mhz disk and installed:

    Win 95 (stripped of all the IE OE and junk, kept networking for file
    copy from my server)
    For emulators I use Myz80, Dave Dunfields NS*horizon and Simh.
    Loaded a healthy supply of apps.
    Loaded the startup file with NS*horizon emulator so it started
    there.

    All of those in a 486/66 still run faster than 4mhz z80.

    Nothing magical. Nothing read only. lots of room (W95 stripped
    needs about 45mb). Nice part is anything done there can be
    transfered to another PC or even pushed via serial line to a real
    cp/m box while acting as a terminal for it. Also have 3.5:" floppy
    for transfers too. I did the same on an older 486/33 laptop that was
    monochrome only display and only 8mb ram and it makes a good
    portable CP/M system under doswin3.11. Most emulators are small
    and not all of them require more than dos maybe win95.

    Allison

  3. Re: Idea that has been bouncing around in my head

    On Feb 3, 6:49*am, Bill H wrote:
    > I have been thinking about this idea for awhile, but have never gotten
    > around to really doing it, maybe someone out there could tell me if it
    > is even possible before I did.
    >
    > What I was thinking of doing is taking one of my older systems,
    > putting in a 400mb drive (or there abouts). Installing Msdos and then
    > installing a cp/m emulator (myz80 or similar). Loading all the
    > software I would want to use in cp/m (wordstar dbase or the like) and
    > when done, setting the system to autorun the myz80. Basically make a
    > dedicated cp/m system (though emulated of course). Now, once all this
    > is done, I would take that HD, put it in a windows machine, create an
    > auto booting ISO of the drive and then burn it to CD. What I would end
    > up with is a cd rom that, when inserted in a pc and booted, would
    > automatically give me a cp/m system with all my files already
    > installed. The only problem would be that they would all be read
    > only.
    >
    > I know this sounds like rambling but what are your thoughts if any?
    >
    > Bill H

    If you have a more recent system that supports USB, possibly usb2 is
    required, then I think you will be more successful doing that with a
    USB stick...

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ebdbbdd32567aa

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread