Were can i download CP/M? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Were can i download CP/M? - CP/M ; I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M alot like DOS?...

  1. Were can i download CP/M?

    I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M
    alot like DOS?

  2. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:11:15 -0800 (PST), Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:

    >I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M
    >alot like DOS?

    Gaby's The Unofficial CP/M Web Site http://www.cpm.z80.de/ as a
    starting point. There are other sites that have stuff too but Gaby
    has done a lot of long standing work to keep that archive solid.

    Is it like dos, yes very similar.

    One question your running on a PC or a older 8080/8085/z80 system?
    If the former then you want CP/M-86 the latter it's likely the CP/M
    2.2 Version.

    FYI it's possible to run CP/M for z80 on a PC using a Z80 simulator
    such as SIMH, Dave Dunfields Altair/northstar, Myz80 and others.

    Allison

  3. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Jan 30, 7:11 pm, Nolan....@gmail.com wrote:
    > I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M
    > alot like DOS?

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/d_dri.html

    Herb Johnson
    CP/M fan

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

  4. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net skrev:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:11:15 -0800 (PST), Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M
    >> alot like DOS?

    > Gaby's The Unofficial CP/M Web Site http://www.cpm.z80.de/ as a
    > starting point. There are other sites that have stuff too but Gaby
    > has done a lot of long standing work to keep that archive solid.
    >
    > Is it like dos, yes very similar.
    >
    > One question your running on a PC or a older 8080/8085/z80 system?
    > If the former then you want CP/M-86 the latter it's likely the CP/M
    > 2.2 Version.
    >

    > FYI it's possible to run CP/M for z80 on a PC using a Z80 simulator
    > such as SIMH, Dave Dunfields Altair/northstar, Myz80 and others.
    >
    > Allison

    you mean MS-DOS is alot like CP/M...

    Roger

  5. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:40:38 GMT, Roger Schmidt
    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net skrev:
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:11:15 -0800 (PST), Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to try out CP/M, were do i download CP/M? Also is CP/M
    >>> alot like DOS?

    >> Gaby's The Unofficial CP/M Web Site http://www.cpm.z80.de/ as a
    >> starting point. There are other sites that have stuff too but Gaby
    >> has done a lot of long standing work to keep that archive solid.
    >>
    >> Is it like dos, yes very similar.
    >>
    >> One question your running on a PC or a older 8080/8085/z80 system?
    >> If the former then you want CP/M-86 the latter it's likely the CP/M
    >> 2.2 Version.
    >>

    >> FYI it's possible to run CP/M for z80 on a PC using a Z80 simulator
    >> such as SIMH, Dave Dunfields Altair/northstar, Myz80 and others.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >you mean MS-DOS is alot like CP/M...

    We know that.

    For the kids you have to keep the current frame of reference.

    Allison

    >Roger

  6. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Roger Schmidt wrote:
    (snip)

    > you mean MS-DOS is alot like CP/M...

    Well, MS-DOS 1.0 is modified 86-DOS which is a lot like CP/M.

    http://www.sxlist.com/techref/DOS/History.htm

    -- glen

  7. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:01:46 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >Well, MS-DOS 1.0 is modified 86-DOS ...

    No, it isn't.

    The API is plagerized, an obvious Copyright infringement.

    Take your trolling somewhere else.

    Bill

  8. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:01:46 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Well, MS-DOS 1.0 is modified 86-DOS ...

    > No, it isn't.
    >
    > The API is plagerized, an obvious Copyright infringement.

    He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories I've
    seen,
    Gates purchased 86-DOS from Seattle Computer to sell to IBM as PC-DOS
    1.0. IBM did want changes made, but PC-DOS was definitely based on 86-DOS.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS

    Tom Lake

  9. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "Bill" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:01:46 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, MS-DOS 1.0 is modified 86-DOS ...

    >> No, it isn't.
    >>
    >> The API is plagerized, an obvious Copyright infringement.

    > He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories
    > I've seen,
    > Gates purchased 86-DOS from Seattle Computer to sell to IBM as PC-DOS
    > 1.0. IBM did want changes made, but PC-DOS was definitely based on
    > 86-DOS.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS
    > Tom Lake

    I've got a set of Copies of Seattle MS-DOS V2.0 8" Diskettes + a SCP
    86-Dos 8"
    Bob in Wisconsin

  10. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Robert J. Stevens skrev:
    > Tom Lake wrote:
    >>
    >> "Bill" wrote in message

    >>> No, it isn't.
    >>>
    >>> The API is plagerized, an obvious Copyright infringement.

    >> He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories
    >> I've seen,
    >> Gates purchased 86-DOS from Seattle Computer to sell to IBM as PC-DOS
    >> 1.0. IBM did want changes made, but PC-DOS was definitely based on
    >> 86-DOS.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS
    >> Tom Lake

    > I've got a set of Copies of Seattle MS-DOS V2.0 8" Diskettes + a SCP
    > 86-Dos 8"
    > Bob in Wisconsin

    have you got the source files?

    Roger

  11. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:08:32 -0500, "Tom Lake"
    wrote:

    >He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories I've
    >seen,

    You're right! What a dumb old fart I am! And now dyslexic, too.

    Bill

  12. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:58:02 GMT, Roger Schmidt
    wrote:

    >Robert J. Stevens skrev:

    >> I've got a set of Copies of Seattle MS-DOS V2.0 8" Diskettes + a SCP
    >> 86-Dos 8"

    >have you got the source files?
    >
    >Roger

    You wish!

    Have you any idea what 86-DOS source might be worth?

    I probably cost mr Gates & co a billion dollars, and I never went
    so far as thinking 86-DOS source might still be available.
    (okay, helped cost - and I didn't even get a penny for my part)

    It's probably too late now, anyway. It'll either have been sanitized
    or more likely burned; 'lost' in Gates vernacular. Amazing how a guy
    supposedly that smart has such a lousy memory. I see the videos of
    his deposition are back up again.... what a sleeze ball!

    (do you find my changing subjects every other sentence confusing?)

    (did you ever read Twain's 'Grandfather's Old Ram'?)

    Bill

    and yes...there will be more forthcoming....you ain't heard the
    half of mr Gates' treacheries yet...

    If the Pima County Attorney had any balls, Gates would have gone
    to jail. And so would one mr August Bush IV. Tell me about justice!

    It isn't amazing that they get away with it.

    It's amazing that nobody cares!

  13. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:08:32 -0500, "Tom Lake"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories I've
    >>seen,

    > You're right! What a dumb old fart I am! And now dyslexic, too.

    Oh, you're not old! 8^)

    Tom Lake

  14. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens skrev:
    >
    >> Tom Lake wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Bill" wrote in message

    >>> He's talking about 86-DOS not CP/M-86. According to all the stories
    >>> I've seen,
    >>> Gates purchased 86-DOS from Seattle Computer to sell to IBM as PC-DOS
    >>> 1.0. IBM did want changes made, but PC-DOS was definitely based on
    >>> 86-DOS.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS
    >>> Tom Lake
    >>>

    >> I've got a set of Copies of Seattle MS-DOS V2.0 8" Diskettes + a SCP
    >> 86-Dos 8"
    >> Bob in Wisconsin
    >>
    >> have you got the source files?

    Roger

    I can't tell as I can't read the Diskettes until I get my NEC APC
    Running it's in the Garage and its too Cold right now.
    Bob

  15. NEC APC was Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > Roger Schmidt wrote:
    >> Robert J. Stevens skrev:

    >>> I've got a set of Copies of Seattle MS-DOS V2.0 8" Diskettes + a SCP
    >>> 86-Dos 8"
    >>> Bob in Wisconsin
    >>>
    >>> have you got the source files?
    >>>

    > Roger
    >
    > I can't tell as I can't read the Diskettes until I get my NEC APC
    > Running it's in the Garage and its too Cold right now.
    > Bob

    Do you still have the original cp/m-86 diskettes for the NEC APC? MS-DOS 2.0?

  16. Re: NEC APC was Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    James Pryor wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >> Roger Schmidt wrote:

    >> Roger
    >> I can't tell as I can't read the Diskettes until I get my NEC APC
    >> Running it's in the Garage and its too Cold right now.
    >> Bob

    > Do you still have the original cp/m-86 diskettes for the NEC APC?
    > MS-DOS 2.0?

    Yes;
    But I have to figure out where I put them. I have two APC's in the
    Garage but one got dropped. It runs but hard to get to boot. Both have a
    bad drive so I plan on swapping components to get one good running
    machine. Won't be able to do much till it gets warm in the Spring. No
    room in the House to work on them
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin

  17. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens skrev:
    >

    > have you got the source files?
    >
    > Roger

    I've got most of the CP/M 2.2 and 3.0 ("CP/M Plus") source, but the 3.0
    code is very skeletal - lots of stub routines, and almost no driver code
    (for serial I/O, disk I/O, and low-level SASI/ST-506 interfaces).

    The 2.0 source runs to around 4 megabytes including doco. I'm trying to
    rescue it now from a dying 20 megabyte miniscribe HDD running TurboDOS
    1.4, but I don't know how much will be salvageable. I've verified 200 or
    so source modules, and they're intact, but it remains to be seen if they
    can be rescued - 4 meg at 1200 baud with no handshaking is a big gamble.

    If you're interested, let me know, and I'll find out something about the
    copyrights to see if the source can be posted.

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandpa, not screaming
    and crying, like the passengers in his car." -Unremembered source from
    the (19)90's.

  18. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    On 2008-04-01, PC Pete wrote:
    > If you're interested, let me know, and I'll find out something about the
    > copyrights to see if the source can be posted.

    Is this different than the stuff Gaby has up at http://cpm.z80.de/ ?
    If so, you should look into sending her a copy.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  19. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    "PC Pete" wrote in message
    news:47f22740$0$20462$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > > Robert J. Stevens skrev:
    > >

    > > have you got the source files?
    > >
    > > Roger

    > I've got most of the CP/M 2.2 and 3.0 ("CP/M Plus") source, but the 3.0
    > code is very skeletal - lots of stub routines, and almost no driver code
    > (for serial I/O, disk I/O, and low-level SASI/ST-506 interfaces).
    >
    > The 2.0 source runs to around 4 megabytes including doco. I'm trying to
    > rescue it now from a dying 20 megabyte miniscribe HDD running TurboDOS
    > 1.4, but I don't know how much will be salvageable. I've verified 200 or
    > so source modules, and they're intact, but it remains to be seen if they
    > can be rescued - 4 meg at 1200 baud with no handshaking is a big gamble.
    >
    > If you're interested, let me know, and I'll find out something about the
    > copyrights to see if the source can be posted.
    >
    > --
    > --
    > "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandpa, not screaming
    > and crying, like the passengers in his car." -Unremembered source from
    > the (19)90's.

    I would be interested in getting a copy of TurboDOS if it is possible. I
    have alway wanted to
    have a play with it. I especially would be interested in the manual that
    talks about writing
    drivers for differing hardware.

    Max.

  20. Re: Were can i download CP/M?

    Max Scane wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I would be interested in getting a copy of TurboDOS if it is
    > possible. I have alway wanted to have a play with it. I
    > especially would be interested in the manual that talks about
    > writing drivers for differing hardware.

    I have DOSPLUS 2.5, which is a complete substitute for CP/M 2.2,
    and to some extent for CP/M 3.0. It also has many of the features
    of ZCPR builtin, without the wearisome configuring and assembly.
    Full source is included. See:

    [page]:
    Try the download section.