Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62 - CP/M ; I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia. Source of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my old MD11 that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I ...

  1. Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia. Source
    of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my old MD11
    that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there may be any
    curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it to my OS/2
    internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the MD11. I use to
    use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail delivery from Fidonet
    mailers.

    I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate 20meg
    HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those here I am
    sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in them days.

    Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

  2. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:17:26 GMT, BruceD wrote:

    >I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia. Source
    >of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my old MD11
    >that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there may be any
    >curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it to my OS/2
    >internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the MD11. I use to
    >use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail delivery from Fidonet
    >mailers.

    I think there would be interest. there are a few systems on the net
    that way and I ahve no idea if they see much traffic but I have
    visitied a few.

    >I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate 20meg
    >HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those here I am
    >sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in them days.

    If they were st225s those were pretty decent. If they are stuck you
    can pull them and apply a radial twist to apply some interta to the
    platters to crack them loose. However I' got a few really old (from
    the 80s) ST225s that are still in intermittent use and they work very
    well.

    >Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

    Bet it felt familiar..

    Allison

  3. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    BruceD wrote in
    news:Xns9A35BA0DE16ABos2binspamniclanh@202.72.168. 158:

    > I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia.
    > Source of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my
    > old MD11 that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there
    > may be any curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it
    > to my OS/2 internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the
    > MD11. I use to use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail
    > delivery from Fidonet mailers.
    >
    > I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate
    > 20meg HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those
    > here I am sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in
    > them days.
    >
    > Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

    Hi, Bruce. Nice to hear from an old PBBS user! I'd certainly love
    to see the old girl up and running again.

    Ian Cottrell, Z Node 5 Sysop and PBBS Author (and I haven't
    written either of those in years, either!)

  4. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    Ian Cottrell wrote

    > BruceD wrote in
    > news:Xns9A35BA0DE16ABos2binspamniclanh@202.72.168. 158:
    >
    >> I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia.
    >> Source of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my
    >> old MD11 that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there
    >> may be any curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it
    >> to my OS/2 internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the
    >> MD11. I use to use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail
    >> delivery from Fidonet mailers.
    >>
    >> I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate
    >> 20meg HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those
    >> here I am sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in
    >> them days.
    >>
    >> Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

    > Hi, Bruce. Nice to hear from an old PBBS user! I'd certainly love
    > to see the old girl up and running again.
    >
    > Ian Cottrell, Z Node 5 Sysop and PBBS Author (and I haven't
    > written either of those in years, either!)

    Hello Ian, I remember calling you on the telephone some time ago, lets
    say 20+ years ago. My wife still reminds me of the cost of that 10min
    phone call from Australia to Canada. It cost me somthing like A$60.00;
    how technology allows us to converse so much easier and cheaper nowadays.

    I plugged the the MD11 today, Feb 1st 2008 [took me an hour to find it
    buried under years of computer gear] sadly at power on, all that happend
    was that all tantilum capactors blew up on the -12v rail.[looked and
    sounded a bit like a fireworks display] I had checked the power supply
    before applying power with the power supply connected to the MD11 and 5v
    -12v and -12v rails were within tolerance. The two Seagate HDD seem to
    spin up without any problems.

    So I think the idea of Z-Node 62 being back has passed. I will look at
    the board when time permits, but it's not looking good.

    All the best

  5. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote

    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:17:26 GMT, BruceD wrote:
    >
    >>I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia.
    >>Source of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my
    >>old MD11 that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there
    >>may be any curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it
    >>to my OS/2 internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the
    >>MD11. I use to use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail
    >>delivery from Fidonet mailers.

    > I think there would be interest. there are a few systems on the net
    > that way and I ahve no idea if they see much traffic but I have
    > visitied a few.
    >
    >>I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate
    >>20meg HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those
    >>here I am sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in
    >>them days.

    > If they were st225s those were pretty decent. If they are stuck you
    > can pull them and apply a radial twist to apply some interta to the
    > platters to crack them loose. However I' got a few really old (from
    > the 80s) ST225s that are still in intermittent use and they work very
    > well.

    Yes your right but is seems the HDD's are the least of my problems [see
    another message here]

    >>Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

    > Bet it felt familiar..
    >
    > Allison

    Yes it did, but this time around short lived. ):

    Regards.

  6. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:56:09 GMT, BruceD wrote:

    >Ian Cottrell wrote
    >
    >> BruceD wrote in
    >> news:Xns9A35BA0DE16ABos2binspamniclanh@202.72.168. 158:
    >>
    >>> I used to be the Sysop of Z-Node 62 here in Perth Western Australia.
    >>> Source of ZMODEM file transfer for CP/M by Ron Murray. I still have my
    >>> old MD11 that Z Node was ran on in the shed. I was wondereing if there
    >>> may be any curisosity in seeing how the old BBS ran. I can attach it
    >>> to my OS/2 internet enabled PC via serial port and then telnet to the
    >>> MD11. I use to use BYE and PBBS which I had hacked to allow mail
    >>> delivery from Fidonet mailers.
    >>>
    >>> I have not switched on the MD11 for years and hope the two Seagate
    >>> 20meg HDD's will still spin up when power is applied. There are those
    >>> here I am sure will remember the stiction issues Seagate drives had in
    >>> them days.
    >>>
    >>> Z Node 62 Sysop [I had not written that for years]

    >> Hi, Bruce. Nice to hear from an old PBBS user! I'd certainly love
    >> to see the old girl up and running again.
    >>
    >> Ian Cottrell, Z Node 5 Sysop and PBBS Author (and I haven't
    >> written either of those in years, either!)
    >>

    >Hello Ian, I remember calling you on the telephone some time ago, lets
    >say 20+ years ago. My wife still reminds me of the cost of that 10min
    >phone call from Australia to Canada. It cost me somthing like A$60.00;
    >how technology allows us to converse so much easier and cheaper nowadays.
    >
    >I plugged the the MD11 today, Feb 1st 2008 [took me an hour to find it
    >buried under years of computer gear] sadly at power on, all that happend
    >was that all tantilum capactors blew up on the -12v rail.[looked and
    >sounded a bit like a fireworks display] I had checked the power supply
    >before applying power with the power supply connected to the MD11 and 5v
    >-12v and -12v rails were within tolerance. The two Seagate HDD seem to
    >spin up without any problems.
    >
    >So I think the idea of Z-Node 62 being back has passed. I will look at
    >the board when time permits, but it's not looking good.

    No biggie replace the tantalum caps and your off and running again.
    The fun part is they announce their failure. Sometimes you get a
    shorted one with attendent bad voltages. Actually after all the caps
    failed and blew away I bet it booted or tried to.

    Allison

    >All the best

  7. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > BruceD wrote:
    >> Ian Cottrell wrote

    >>> Hi, Bruce. Nice to hear from an old PBBS user! I'd certainly love
    >>> to see the old girl up and running again.
    >>>
    >>> Ian Cottrell, Z Node 5 Sysop and PBBS Author (and I haven't
    >>> written either of those in years, either!)

    >> Hello Ian, I remember calling you on the telephone some time
    >> ago, lets say 20+ years ago. My wife still reminds me of the
    >> cost of that 10min phone call from Australia to Canada. It cost
    >> me somthing like A$60.00; how technology allows us to converse
    >> so much easier and cheaper nowadays.
    >>
    >> I plugged the the MD11 today, Feb 1st 2008 [took me an hour to
    >> find it buried under years of computer gear] sadly at power on,
    >> all that happend was that all tantilum capactors blew up on the
    >> -12v rail.[looked and sounded a bit like a fireworks display] I
    >> had checked the power supply before applying power with the
    >> power supply connected to the MD11 and 5v -12v and -12v rails
    >> were within tolerance. The two Seagate HDD seem to spin up
    >> without any problems.
    >>
    >> So I think the idea of Z-Node 62 being back has passed. I will
    >> look at the board when time permits, but it's not looking good.

    > No biggie replace the tantalum caps and your off and running
    > again. The fun part is they announce their failure. Sometimes
    > you get a shorted one with attendent bad voltages. Actually
    > after all the caps failed and blew away I bet it booted or
    > tried to.

    It won't help now, but in future, if you have a Variac, try
    starting things up with greatly reduced mains voltage, and raise it
    gradually. This has been known to reform electrolytic capacitors.
    If it works, things are much easier.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    > Hello Ian, I remember calling you on the telephone some time ago, lets
    > say 20+ years ago. My wife still reminds me of the cost of that 10min
    > phone call from Australia to Canada. It cost me somthing like A$60.00;
    > how technology allows us to converse so much easier and cheaper nowadays.
    >
    > I plugged the the MD11 today, Feb 1st 2008 [took me an hour to find it
    > buried under years of computer gear] sadly at power on, all that happend
    > was that all tantilum capactors blew up on the -12v rail.[looked and
    > sounded a bit like a fireworks display] I had checked the power supply
    > before applying power with the power supply connected to the MD11 and 5v
    > -12v and -12v rails were within tolerance. The two Seagate HDD seem to
    > spin up without any problems.
    >
    > So I think the idea of Z-Node 62 being back has passed. I will look at
    > the board when time permits, but it's not looking good.
    >
    > All the best

    I, unfortunately, don't remember the phone call. But, then, it didn't
    cost me anything!

    Z-Node 5 is still sitting there in the corner (a PMC 101 with
    SCSI-attached HDD of unremembered size). I don't know how many years
    it's been since I fired it up, but I've hesitated to think about
    it for the last few, due to the capacitor problem. I've had an
    offer from a friend to hook it to a variac and try Falconer's trick;
    I guess I'll have to do that one of these days. Even if it fired
    up, I have no way of connecting it to the 'Net, so, other than 'for
    old times sake', there little point in doing it. Still, one of
    these days...

  9. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:05:08 -0500, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> BruceD wrote:
    >>> Ian Cottrell wrote
    >>> I plugged the the MD11 today, Feb 1st 2008 [took me an hour to
    >>> find it buried under years of computer gear] sadly at power on,
    >>> all that happend was that all tantilum capactors blew up on the
    >>> -12v rail.[looked and sounded a bit like a fireworks display] I
    >>> had checked the power supply before applying power with the
    >>> power supply connected to the MD11 and 5v -12v and -12v rails
    >>> were within tolerance. The two Seagate HDD seem to spin up
    >>> without any problems.
    >>>

    >It won't help now, but in future, if you have a Variac, try
    >starting things up with greatly reduced mains voltage, and raise it
    >gradually. This has been known to reform electrolytic capacitors.
    >If it works, things are much easier.

    Chuck,

    Those old tants are know for developing shorts and they do not
    reform like aluminum electrolytics. Still a good thing to do but
    there is a difference.

    Allison

    >--
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  10. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    --{ Ian Cottrell a plopé ceci: }--

    > I guess I'll have to do that one of these days. Even if it fired
    > up, I have no way of connecting it to the 'Net, so, other than 'for
    > old times sake', there little point in doing it. Still, one of
    > these days...

    You can connect it with a serial<->tcpip proxy. You install this
    software on a unix box, connect your cpm box with a serial wire
    to the unix, and telnet (or ssh) to the box from the net.

    May be you can found this software at http://freshmeat.net/ ?
    I don't remember where I've got mine...

    --
    Divorce d'état: revenus doublés. C'est la France qui avance.

  11. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    On Feb 2, 5:55*pm, "Thierry B." wrote:
    > --{ Ian Cottrell a plopé ceci: }--
    >
    > > I guess I'll have to do that one of these days. *Even if it fired
    > > up, I have no way of connecting it to the 'Net, so, other than 'for
    > > old times sake', there little point in doing it. *Still, one of
    > > these days...

    > * *You can connect it with a serial<->tcpip proxy. You install this
    > * *software on a unix box, connect your cpm box with a serial wire
    > * *to the unix, and telnet (or ssh) to the box from the net.
    >
    > * *May be you can found this software athttp://freshmeat.net/?
    > * *I don't remember where I've got mine...
    >
    > --
    > Divorce d'état: revenus doublés. C'est la France qui avance.

    Terry Olsen overon the Apple2 usenet wrote some software called
    "InternetModem" http://boycot.no-ip.com/software/ which allows any
    computer with a serial port to plug into a PC and the pc will then
    convert a tcip connection to serial and vice versa. You could run a cp/
    m system bbs and have it accessable on the internet using this
    software with no midifications to the original system.

    Bill H

  12. Re: Morrow MD11 - Z-Node 62

    "Thierry B." wrote in news:qv8f75-
    nuk.ln1@prout.stex:

    > --{ Ian Cottrell a plopé ceci: }--
    >
    >> I guess I'll have to do that one of these days. Even if it fired
    >> up, I have no way of connecting it to the 'Net, so, other than 'for
    >> old times sake', there little point in doing it. Still, one of
    >> these days...

    > You can connect it with a serial<->tcpip proxy. You install this
    > software on a unix box, connect your cpm box with a serial wire
    > to the unix, and telnet (or ssh) to the box from the net.
    >
    > May be you can found this software at http://freshmeat.net/ ?
    > I don't remember where I've got mine...

    It would be easy enough to connect it directly to the Unix f/w
    running here, but my ISP gets all shirty about 'servers' running
    on their network. Hmm... I'll have to think about it...

+ Reply to Thread