6502 - CP/M

This is a discussion on 6502 - CP/M ; was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ?? Roger...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. 6502

    was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??

    Roger

  2. Re: 6502

    Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >
    > Roger

    I'm not sure why you're asking for that. Sure you know several sites
    which describes the history of Digital Research, Gary Kildall, and also
    CP/M ("Google" ...).
    There are rumours about a CP/M for RCA 1802, but that's the only case I
    know that it's not related with a Intel/Zilog derivat
    (8080,8085,Z80,Z8000), and of course, the Motorola 68000 also.

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  3. Re: 6502

    That with existed, but, with an intermediate interface board
    as on AppleII
    To remake a CP/M 6502 it would be necessary to hang the source and to
    convert them into 8080 or Z80, and, to take again each program in source and
    tradiures too
    Non compatible
    Mission impossible

    "Roger Schmidt" a écrit dans le message de news:
    t6Ymj.3140$R_4.2374@newsb.telia.net...
    > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >
    > Roger

  4. Re: 6502

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > There are rumours about a CP/M for RCA 1802, but that's the only case I
    > know that it's not related with a Intel/Zilog derivat
    > (8080,8085,Z80,Z8000), and of course, the Motorola 68000 also.

    Ok, I've forgotten the 808x family also for CP/M-86 (but there are Intel
    derivats).

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  5. Re: 6502

    "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >
    > Roger

    There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is called
    DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and documentation
    and in fact have started to convert the documentation to .pdf files.

    The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you like
    I could send you a copy FYI.

    Rich Leary

  6. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary skrev:

    > "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    >> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >>
    >> Roger

    > There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    > called DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    > documentation and in fact have started to convert the documentation to
    > .pdf files.
    >
    > The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    > provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you
    > like I could send you a copy FYI.
    >
    > Rich Leary

    Hey that sounds great! is it open source nowdays? or do you still
    develop the software...

    You can send info to my email address!

    Roger

  7. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:

    > "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    >> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >>
    >> Roger

    > There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    > called DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    > documentation and in fact have started to convert the documentation to
    > .pdf files.
    >
    > The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    > provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you
    > like I could send you a copy FYI.
    >
    > Rich Leary

    Richard,

    you post similar infos several times at this newsgroup, but everytime
    somebody asks you for getting more infos or how to get in touch with
    DOS/65, you didn't answer. It would really appreciate if you would like
    to publish more details or even provide a download link.
    I would be the first one who will help to publish it on a web page...
    Just try to search on groups.google.com for "leary" and "DOS/65" and you
    will see ...

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  8. Re: 6502

    wrote in message
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    >>> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >>>
    >>> Roger

    >> There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    >> called DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    >> documentation and in fact have started to convert the documentation to
    >> .pdf files.
    >>
    >> The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    >> provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you
    >> like I could send you a copy FYI.
    >>
    >> Rich Leary

    > Richard,
    >
    > you post similar infos several times at this newsgroup, but everytime
    > somebody asks you for getting more infos or how to get in touch with
    > DOS/65, you didn't answer. It would really appreciate if you would like to
    > publish more details or even provide a download link.
    > I would be the first one who will help to publish it on a web page...
    > Just try to search on groups.google.com for "leary" and "DOS/65" and you
    > will see ...
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter
    > --
    > * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

    My aplogies but until June 2006 I was very busy working for a major
    aerospace company and had little if any time for fun things. From August of
    that year until November of last year we were busy building our new house in
    the Colorado Rockies. That is done which is why I have actually had some
    time to start bringing the documentation up to a current format. I will send
    both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

    Rich

  9. Re: 6502

    Hallo Richard,

    > I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

    I would be very pleased with a copy as well. There was once a group of
    Dutch DOS/65 users, using hardware based hardware designed by a Dutch
    magazine, Elektuur/Elektor http://www.elektor.nl/ , and I have such a
    system but no info or whatever. So everything is welcome !!!

    --
    ___
    / __|__

  10. Re: 6502

    Hello Rich.

    >Ruud wrote in message ...
    >> Rich Leary wrote:
    >> I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

    >I would be very pleased with a copy as well.

    More persons I think and like Peter Dassow I will be able to publish the
    documentation on a webpage, when you want.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  11. Re: 6502

    "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >
    > Roger

    Peter Dassow has created a web page that has the two documents I have
    converted to .pdf files so far. It is http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html .

    I will feed him documents as they are done and he may also set up a code
    area.

    I will do documents as fast as possible but in some cases that will take
    time. The original documents were done on a Wang word processor and some had
    hand drawn art pasted onto the masters. That I have to either scan or
    recreate.

    Rich Leary

  12. Re: 6502

    Ruud wrote:

    >Hallo Richard,
    >

    >> I will send both you and Roger a copy of the one document done.

    >I would be very pleased with a copy as well. There was once a group of
    >Dutch DOS/65 users, using hardware based hardware designed by a Dutch
    >magazine, Elektuur/Elektor http://www.elektor.nl/ , and I have such a
    >system but no info or whatever. So everything is welcome !!!

    Hi Ruud,

    DOS65 (no / involved ) was based on the Octopus hardware developed by the
    magazine Elektor/Elektuur. It was a replacement of the not so powerful OS65D
    from OSI. The OS needs a floppy disk controller (1793 based) developed by the
    dutch KIM/6502 gg.

    Afaik this DOS65 has nothing to do with DOS/65 and is also not CP/M compatible
    at all.

    I have two functional DOS65 systems, but besides some photos on my website I
    have not found time to do more with it. Its in teh palnning, but too little
    time, too much hobbies.

  13. Re: 6502

    "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >
    > Roger

    Some progress today on getting my S-100 system up and running either with
    CP/M or DOS/65.

    I knew where the motherboard box and 8 inch floppy box (both Vector boxes
    with home built power supplies - very heaavy) were so I took the following
    approach:

    a. Pulled all cards from the motherboard box and tested the motherboard
    power supply --> looked good.

    b. Installed all cards with Z80 CPU board (rather than 6502) first.

    c. Hooked up my Wyse-50 terminal to the correct Godbout Interfacer port.
    Terminal powered up OK.

    d. Powered up and hit reset --> monitor (homegrown) was alive and well.
    Since the system had not been alive since mid-2003 I considered that a small
    miracle.

    e. Powered down and replaced Z80 CPU with 6502 CPU (home grown wire wrap).

    f. Powered up and hit reset --> monitor (homegrown) was alive and well.
    Another small miracle.

    g. Powered down and connected 8 inch floppy to the floppy controller.

    h. Searched for and found diskette boxes. Powered up, inserted boot diskette
    in drive, and executed monitor command to boot --> head load but time out
    after a few seconds, i.e., no boot.

    i. Repeated with Z80 with same results.

    So right now it is not working. Two obvious possible problems - controller
    or disk drive. I have a brand new spare 8 inch drive so I'll probably start
    there. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    I do recall having this happen before and it appeared to be a thermal issue.
    After warm up it would work so it is powered up as I write this and I will
    test again. Keeping fingers crossed....

    Rich Leary

  14. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:

    > [...]
    > g. Powered down and connected 8 inch floppy to the floppy controller.
    >
    > h. Searched for and found diskette boxes. Powered up, inserted boot
    > diskette in drive, and executed monitor command to boot --> head load
    > but time out after a few seconds, i.e., no boot.
    >
    > i. Repeated with Z80 with same results.
    >
    > So right now it is not working. Two obvious possible problems -
    > controller or disk drive [...]

    Richard, do you really feel confident that the floppy disk media itself
    is still in good condition ?
    Typically I got first problems with the media, and rarely with the drive
    or controller itself...

    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  15. Re: 6502

    wrote in message
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >> g. Powered down and connected 8 inch floppy to the floppy controller.
    >>
    >> h. Searched for and found diskette boxes. Powered up, inserted boot
    >> diskette in drive, and executed monitor command to boot --> head load but
    >> time out after a few seconds, i.e., no boot.
    >>
    >> i. Repeated with Z80 with same results.
    >>
    >> So right now it is not working. Two obvious possible problems -
    >> controller or disk drive [...]

    > Richard, do you really feel confident that the floppy disk media itself is
    > still in good condition ?
    > Typically I got first problems with the media, and rarely with the drive
    > or controller itself...
    >
    > Peter
    > --
    > * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

    Further testing -->

    a. Floppy controller, drive, and media are OK. Problem was my bad memory - I
    forgot that both Z80 & 6502 boot initializes the Xebec host adapter and hard
    disk controller & the hard drive. Once I hooked that chain up I was booting.

    b. Also found that slot I had my Compupro 17 RAM card in was not making good
    contact. Caused some flaky ops. Different slot --> working well.

    c. The hard disk has two partitions, one for CP/M & one for DOS/65. The CP/M
    partition has at least one bad sector, right in the directory. Was not there
    before. So far the DOS/65 partition appears OK. We are talking about a many
    year old < 10 MB hard drive. Probably time to find a different approach.

    So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the DOS/65
    side appears to be working OK.

    Rich Leary

  16. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:

    > So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the
    > DOS/65 side appears to be working OK.

    I take it this is requisite for recovery of the source code?

  17. Re: 6502

    "Steven Hirsch" wrote in message
    news:64GdnTSHlLRJvALanZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >
    >> So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the
    >> DOS/65 side appears to be working OK.

    > I take it this is requisite for recovery of the source code?

    No, all source code is preserved on one of my PCs and is also backed up on
    two other machines.

    It is necessary for further development as all development has been done in
    an actual 6502 - DOS/65 environment.

    Rich Leary

  18. Re: 6502

    I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an operating
    system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real address.

    David

    Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > Rich Leary skrev:
    >>
    >> "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    >>> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >>>
    >>> Roger

    >> There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    >> called DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    >> documentation and in fact have started to convert the documentation to
    >> .pdf files.
    >>
    >> The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    >> provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if
    >> you like I could send you a copy FYI.
    >>
    >> Rich Leary

    > Hey that sounds great! is it open source nowdays? or do you still
    > develop the software...
    >
    > You can send info to my email address!
    >
    > Roger

  19. Re: 6502

    On Jan 27, 10:05 am, "Rich Leary" wrote:
    > "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message

    > > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??

    > > Roger

    > There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is called
    > DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and documentation
    > and in fact have started to convert the documentation to .pdf files.
    >
    > The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    > provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you like
    > I could send you a copy FYI.
    >
    > Rich Leary

    Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?

    I ask because there were, in the day, some substantially more refined
    CP/M Forth's than the C64 Forth's available, and there is even a
    Forth-94 CP/M implementation ... while a 6502 based CP/M system would
    not be binary executable compatible, it would seem to be the most
    direct way to get source level compatibility with Forth-94 CP/M
    sources.

  20. Re: 6502

    "BruceMcF" wrote in message
    > On Jan 27, 10:05 am, "Rich Leary" wrote:
    >> "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message

    >> > was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??

    >> > Roger

    >> There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    >> called
    >> DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    >> documentation
    >> and in fact have started to convert the documentation to .pdf files.
    >>
    >> The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    >> provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you
    >> like
    >> I could send you a copy FYI.
    >>
    >> Rich Leary

    > Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?
    >
    > I ask because there were, in the day, some substantially more refined
    > CP/M Forth's than the C64 Forth's available, and there is even a
    > Forth-94 CP/M implementation ... while a 6502 based CP/M system would
    > not be binary executable compatible, it would seem to be the most
    > direct way to get source level compatibility with Forth-94 CP/M
    > sources.

    C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but never
    did.

    I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk format
    and other behavior would be the same.

    I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and can
    email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.

    Rich Leary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast