6502 - CP/M

This is a discussion on 6502 - CP/M ; "David Graham Knoll" wrote in message news:47a07a19$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... > I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an operating > system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real address. > > David > > Roger Schmidt wrote: >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: 6502

  1. Re: 6502


    "David Graham Knoll" wrote in message
    news:47a07a19$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
    > I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an operating
    > system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real address.
    >
    > David
    >
    > Roger Schmidt wrote:
    >> Rich Leary skrev:
    >>>
    >>> "Roger Schmidt" wrote in message
    >>> news:t6Ymj.3140$R_4.2374@newsb.telia.net...
    >>>> was there ever a version of CPM for the 6502 ??
    >>>>
    >>>> Roger
    >>>
    >>> There was a CP/M compatible OS developed and sold in the 80s. It is
    >>> called DOS/65 and I am the developer. I still have the software and
    >>> documentation and in fact have started to convert the documentation to
    >>> .pdf files.
    >>>
    >>> The first document converted is the "DOS/65 System Description" that
    >>> provides an overview of the software. It is a 178KB document and if you
    >>> like I could send you a copy FYI.
    >>>
    >>> Rich Leary

    >>
    >> Hey that sounds great! is it open source nowdays? or do you still develop
    >> the software...
    >>
    >> You can send info to my email address!
    >>
    >> Roger


    See info at http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html


  2. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:
    >>
    >> Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?
    >>
    >> [...]

    >
    > C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but
    > never did.
    >
    > I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk
    > format and other behavior would be the same.
    >
    > I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and
    > can email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.


    Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
    You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
    http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)

    Peter

  3. Re: 6502


    "Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" wrote in
    message news:fnr2j7$i7f$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?
    >>>
    >>> [...]

    > >
    >> C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but
    >> never did.
    >>
    >> I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk
    >> format and other behavior would be the same.
    >>
    >> I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and
    >> can email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.

    >
    > Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
    > You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
    > http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)
    >
    > Peter


    I will look! Thanks.

    Rich


  4. Re: 6502

    > Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
    > You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
    > http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)


    But that's Z-80 code. He seems to want a native 6502 version of CP/M
    not the CP/M code that needs the Z-80 cartridge.

    Tom Lake

  5. Re: 6502

    David Graham Knoll wrote:
    >
    > I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an
    > operating system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real
    > address.


    Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --



    (taming google)
    (newusers)



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  6. Re: 6502

    On Jan 30, 10:02 pm, "Tom Lake" wrote:
    > > Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
    > > You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
    > >http://www.z80.eu/c64.html;-)

    >
    > But that's Z-80 code. He seems to want a native 6502 version of CP/M
    > not the CP/M code that needs the Z-80 cartridge.
    >
    > Tom Lake


    Yes, but its code that is implemented for the C64 hardware (1541/1571
    drive, etc.), so it would still contain useful information for someone
    who has already implemented something that is, in some sense, a 6502
    CP/M.

    "> I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so
    disk
    > format and other behavior would be the same. "


  7. Re: 6502


    "Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" wrote in
    message news:fnr2j7$i7f$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Would it be possible to port it to the Commodore 64?
    >>>
    >>> [...]

    > >
    >> C64 is a real possibility. It was a port I had originally planned but
    >> never did.
    >>
    >> I had planned to use the C64 CP/M CBIOS as the starting point so disk
    >> format and other behavior would be the same.
    >>
    >> I do not have a copy of C64 CP/M so if someone has the CBIOS source and
    >> can email it or post it somewhere that would be a help.

    >
    > Richard, I am not sure you really took a look on all pages of my site.
    > You can find the C64 CP/M custom BIOS sources (and more) at
    > http://www.z80.eu/c64.html ;-)
    >
    > Peter


    Peter,

    Thanks for the tip.

    I looked at your C64 page and indeed the Z80 CBIOS is there. That is a help.

    What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
    the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.

    Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
    that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.

    If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

    Thanks,

    Rich Leary


  8. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:
    >
    > Peter,
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > I looked at your C64 page and indeed the Z80 CBIOS is there. That is a
    > help.
    >
    > What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion
    > of the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files
    > listed.
    >
    > Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk
    > I/O that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
    >
    > If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.


    Richard,
    the "BIOS65" is the KERNAL ROM itself, so you have to download a
    commented disassembly from the C64 kernal ROM. Sure you know that the
    C64 does not really handle any kind of floppy disk controller.
    Instead, the C64 only knows how to send commands via/through the IEC
    bus. But this should not be a real problem because you can also use just
    a IEC command to get a sector from the floppy drive.
    See also at my page the samples for reading/writing track 36-41 ...

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  9. Re: 6502

    On Jan 31, 7:29 am, "Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')"
    wrote:
    > Rich Leary wrote:
    >
    > > Peter,

    >
    > > Thanks for the tip.

    >
    > > I looked at your C64 page and indeed the Z80 CBIOS is there. That is a
    > > help.

    >
    > > What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion
    > > of the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files
    > > listed.

    >
    > > Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk
    > > I/O that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.

    >
    > > If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

    >
    > Richard,
    > the "BIOS65" is the KERNAL ROM itself, so you have to download a
    > commented disassembly from the C64 kernal ROM. Sure you know that the
    > C64 does not really handle any kind of floppy disk controller.
    > Instead, the C64 only knows how to send commands via/through the IEC
    > bus. But this should not be a real problem because you can also use just
    > a IEC command to get a sector from the floppy drive.
    > See also at my page the samples for reading/writing track 36-41 ...
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter
    > --
    > * Tryhttp://www.z80.eufor CP/M computer and software infos.


    Also, if the basic system gets up, using the Kernel IEC routines, the
    first enhancement is to upload a fastloader routine to the 1541 or
    1571 to speed up the sector transfers. Its not without reason that
    many referred to the C64 drives over the serial bus as "random access
    tape" ... there was a flaw in either the hardware or design of the IEC
    protocol that prevented using the hardware serial shifters, and the
    C64 does some bit banging instead to put data onto and read data from
    the IEC bus ... with a 6502 at 1MHz.

    And of course, people worked out later how to write routines that got
    the data up and down faster.

    The C64 PRG has documentation of the Kernel BIOS jump vector call
    interface, which would be valuable in this context.

    http://www.devili.iki.fi/pub/Commodo...s/c64prg10.zip


  10. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:
    >
    > What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion
    > of the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files
    > listed.


    The kernal (aka BIOS65) could be found as a disassembled listing at
    http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/docs/c64-diss.html#kernal

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  11. Re: 6502

    Hello Rich,

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:20:32 -0700, "Rich Leary" wrote:

    >What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
    >the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.
    >
    >Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
    >that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
    >
    >If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.


    I have a Book this is a Germany Version.

    "Programmieren unter CP/M mit dem C64"

    6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
    CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65

    I scan this Sites and upload on my Homepage.

    When i have scan this Sites then posting the Name of my Homepage
    Sites, then you can download.

    Rolf


  12. Re: 6502

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > David Graham Knoll wrote:


    >>I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an
    >>operating system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real
    >>address.


    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links:


    As with programming, posts should be in the form that is most
    readable by others. Personally, I find many pages of quoted
    material followed by a few lines of new comments less readable
    than the few lines at the top. If there is no new question,
    and so no likely follow-up, it doesn't confuse the flow so much.

    In most cases, I won't scroll more than a few pages down, to
    find the new comments.

    -- glen


  13. Re: 6502

    Hello Rich,

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:20:32 -0700, "Rich Leary" wrote:

    >What is not there (or at least I could not find it) is the 6502 portion of
    >the BIOS. It is referrred to as BIOS65 but is not one of the files listed.
    >
    >Without that it is really a start from scratch, especially for the disk I/O
    >that needs to handle the logical to physical structure trasnlation.
    >
    >If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.


    Download-Link

    6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
    CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65

    http://www.cpm-z80z180.de/c64cpm2008.html

    Rolf


  14. Re: 6502

    Rolf Harrmann wrote:
    >> If I am missing something please point me in the right direction.

    >
    > Download-Link
    >
    > 6510-Ladeprogramm BOOT-65
    > CP/M-Systemroutine BIOS-65
    >
    > http://www.cpm-z80z180.de/c64cpm2008.html


    Rolf, thank you very much for your effort. I will try to convert these
    scans to text, so everyone who is interested does not need to download
    27 MByte except he wants to enjoy the originals.

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  15. Re: 6502

    Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.') wrote:
    >
    > Rolf, thank you very much for your effort. I will try to convert these
    > scans to text, so everyone who is interested does not need to download
    > 27 MByte except he wants to enjoy the originals.


    I have uploaded the 1st listing as a text-pdf already on
    http://www.z80.eu/c64.html , it's named BOOT65.PDF, the second one will
    follow in a few hours (have to sleep also ;-)).

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  16. Re: 6502

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> David Graham Knoll wrote:

    >
    >>> I'm interested in this too, my 6502 SBC is currently minus an
    >>> operating system (apart from EhBASIC). s/news/david/ for my real
    >>> address.

    >
    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material. See the following links:

    >
    > As with programming, posts should be in the form that is most
    > readable by others. Personally, I find many pages of quoted
    > material followed by a few lines of new comments less readable
    > than the few lines at the top. If there is no new question,
    > and so no likely follow-up, it doesn't confuse the flow so much.
    >
    > In most cases, I won't scroll more than a few pages down, to
    > find the new comments.


    Read the links I posted. Proper posting also involves snipping,
    and the result will be NO pages of quoted material. Your bad case
    just won't appear.

    --
    [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    [page]:
    Try the download section.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  17. Re: 6502

    CBFalconer writes:
    > Read the links I posted. Proper posting also involves snipping,
    > and the result will be NO pages of quoted material. Your bad case
    > just won't appear.
    >


    On the other hand, off-topic threads on netiquette go on for ever and ever and ....

    --
    Lawrence Statton - lawrenabae@abaluon.abaom s/aba/c/g
    Computer software consists of only two components: ones and
    zeros, in roughly equal proportions. All that is required is to
    place them into the correct order.

  18. Re: 6502


    "Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.')" wrote in
    message news:fnth1f$i9u$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > Peter Dassow (remove 'NOSPAM.') wrote:
    >>
    >> Rolf, thank you very much for your effort. I will try to convert these
    >> scans to text, so everyone who is interested does not need to download 27
    >> MByte except he wants to enjoy the originals.

    >
    > I have uploaded the 1st listing as a text-pdf already on
    > http://www.z80.eu/c64.html , it's named BOOT65.PDF, the second one will
    > follow in a few hours (have to sleep also ;-)).
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter
    > --
    > * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.


    Rolf & Peter,

    That is great. I need to sit down with the C64 PRG and study this as it has
    been a long time since I looked at C64 code.

    However, it looks like BOOT65 executes a series of system calls to:

    a. Load the BIOS-65 code at $0A00

    b. Load the Z80 BOOT at $1000 that is mapped to $0000 in Z80 space.

    c. Jump to the BIOS-65 at $0A00

    Does some other things that I need to understand but these three steps
    really help understand how CP/M gets started.

    More when I get a better understanding.

    Thank you for finding this and posting it!

    Rich Leary


  19. Re: 6502

    Rich Leary wrote:
    >
    >>> So bottom line is the S-100 system is up and running and at least the
    >>> DOS/65 side appears to be working OK.

    >>
    >> I take it this is requisite for recovery of the source code?

    >
    > No, all source code is preserved on one of my PCs and is also backed up
    > on two other machines.
    >
    > It is necessary for further development as all development has been done
    > in an actual 6502 - DOS/65 environment.


    To complete this thread ... now source code files can be downloaded at
    http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html also.
    All documentation needed to port this operating system to a C64, the
    CBIOS, the BOOT-sequence, the BIOS65 and other useful infos e.g. about
    the disk structure can be found at the same site, but in the C64 branch.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2