ROM error Kayplus83.rom - CP/M

This is a discussion on ROM error Kayplus83.rom - CP/M ; Hallo I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM 81-232 In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must use the Kplus83.rom I had the experience with other systems like Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I upgrade them ...

  1. ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    Hallo
    I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM 81-232
    In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must use the Kplus83.rom
    I had the experience with other systems like Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I upgrade
    them with Kplus84.rom and the Turborom. Both systems runs fine under the
    correponding Biosrom.
    So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming an eprom
    2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way..
    System does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen appears the
    slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and floppy.
    I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.

    What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise

    TIA Jos

  2. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    j.e. van der geest wrote:
    > Hallo
    > I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM 81-232
    > In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must use the Kplus83.rom
    > I had the experience with other systems like Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I upgrade
    > them with Kplus84.rom and the Turborom. Both systems runs fine under the
    > correponding Biosrom.
    > So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    > After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming an eprom
    > 2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way..
    > System does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen appears the
    > slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and floppy.
    > I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.
    >
    > What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise
    >
    > TIA Jos

    Maybe you got a corrupted ROM file. See also my pages at
    http://www.z80.eu/kaypro.html for more "Rom" Infos.
    Some people here in comp.os.cpm already discussed the replacement of the
    original ROM in an other context (with Harddisk), just google groups ;-)

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  3. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "j.e. van der geest" wrote:

    > I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM
    > 81-232 In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must
    > use the Kplus83.rom I had the experience with other systems like
    > Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I upgrade them with Kplus84.rom and the
    > Turborom. Both systems runs fine under the correponding Biosrom.
    > So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    > After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming
    > an eprom 2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way.. System
    > does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen appears
    > the slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and
    > floppy. I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.
    >
    > What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise

    The Kaypro I had twenty plus years ago had some awkward interaction
    between the bios and the addresses used in the ROM code. I removed
    those problems so I could revise things properly. I forget the
    details.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "CBFalconer" schreef in bericht
    > "j.e. van der geest" wrote:
    >>
    >> I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM
    >> 81-232 In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must
    >> use the Kplus83.rom I had the experience with other systems like
    >> Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I upgrade them with Kplus84.rom and the
    >> Turborom. Both systems runs fine under the correponding Biosrom.
    >> So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    >> After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming
    >> an eprom 2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way.. System
    >> does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen appears
    >> the slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and
    >> floppy. I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.
    >>
    >> What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise

    > The Kaypro I had twenty plus years ago had some awkward interaction
    > between the bios and the addresses used in the ROM code. I removed
    > those problems so I could revise things properly. I forget the
    > details.

    Hi

    Try to remember the revisions and do publish them
    Obvious the kayplus83.rom does not fit in the mobo PC81-240A
    Maybe someone else can give me the solutions to tackle this problem

    Jos

  5. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "j.e. van der geest" wrote in message
    > Hallo
    > I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM 81-232
    > In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must use the
    > Kplus83.rom
    > I had the experience with other systems like Kaypro4 and Kaypr10, I
    > upgrade them with Kplus84.rom and the Turborom. Both systems runs fine
    > under the correponding Biosrom.
    > So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    > After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming an eprom
    > 2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way..
    > System does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen appears
    > the slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and floppy.
    > I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.
    >
    > What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise
    >
    > TIA Jos

    Hello Jos,

    I have a Kaypro II with an early motherboard (2K rom) - the one that doesn't
    support double sided drives and has no model number on it. I performed 2
    upgrades to this mobo. The first to accept a 4K rom (81-232) and the second
    to use double sided drives. Both of these upgrades worked perfectly (they
    can be found in the TurboRom or KayPlusRom user manuals, I forget which
    one). Then I thought why not try to upgrade to an 8K rom and use the
    KayPlus83 rom just like you tried. I added the extra wire for the
    additional address line and I got the same error message that you did. I
    just never have any luck with the Kayplus Roms. I guess that I should be
    content to have a Kaypro II that has been upgraded to a 4. I was in contact
    with a gentleman who has was going to make an image of the 4K TurboRom but
    he never got back to me. That one would work for both of us. Good luck.

    Ralph

  6. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "j.e. van der geest" wrote:
    > "CBFalconer" schreef in bericht
    >> "j.e. van der geest" wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >>> What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise

    >> The Kaypro I had twenty plus years ago had some awkward interaction
    >> between the bios and the addresses used in the ROM code. I removed
    >> those problems so I could revise things properly. I forget the
    >> details.

    > Try to remember the revisions and do publish them
    > Obvious the kayplus83.rom does not fit in the mobo PC81-240A
    > Maybe someone else can give me the solutions to tackle this problem

    Long gone in a disk crash 10 or more years ago. Just read the
    sources, which are all available somewhere.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    RED wrote:

    > [...] Then I thought why not try to upgrade to an 8K rom and use the
    > KayPlus83 rom just like you tried. I added the extra wire for the
    > additional address line and I got the same error message that you did. I
    > just never have any luck with the Kayplus Roms. I guess that I should be
    > content to have a Kaypro II that has been upgraded to a 4. I was in contact
    > with a gentleman who has was going to make an image of the 4K TurboRom but
    > he never got back to me. That one would work for both of us. Good luck.

    Ha, that's the wrong way ... just adding address line A12 isn't enough.
    You have to make sure CE from U47 is enabled for the other half 4KB too,
    means the 74LS138 (U60) has to be connected with two schottky diodes
    (Pin 14,15) to CE also.

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  8. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer)"
    wrote in message
    > RED wrote:
    >
    >> [...] Then I thought why not try to upgrade to an 8K rom and use the
    >> KayPlus83 rom just like you tried. I added the extra wire for the
    >> additional address line and I got the same error message that you did. I
    >> just never have any luck with the Kayplus Roms. I guess that I should be
    >> content to have a Kaypro II that has been upgraded to a 4. I was in
    >> contact with a gentleman who has was going to make an image of the 4K
    >> TurboRom but he never got back to me. That one would work for both of
    >> us. Good luck.

    > Ha, that's the wrong way ... just adding address line A12 isn't enough.
    > You have to make sure CE from U47 is enabled for the other half 4KB too,
    > means the 74LS138 (U60) has to be connected with two schottky diodes (Pin
    > 14,15) to CE also.
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter
    >
    > --
    > * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

    Peter,

    Thanks for the tip. I'll try this as soon as my wife gives me permission

    Ralph

  9. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > RED wrote:
    >
    >> [...] Then I thought why not try to upgrade to an 8K rom and use the
    >> KayPlus83 rom just like you tried. I added the extra wire for the
    >> additional address line and I got the same error message that you
    >> did. [...]

    > Ha, that's the wrong way ... just adding address line A12 isn't enough.
    > You have to make sure CE from U47 is enabled for the other half 4KB too,
    > means the 74LS138 (U60) has to be connected with two schottky diodes
    > (Pin 14,15) to CE also.

    Meanwhile I've found a second hint how to do this (copied from the Turbo
    ROM document, Appendix D, Early Kaypro II, Field Service Bulletin #4):

    D.2. Main Board Modification

    1. Solder a 6" length of 30 ga. solid kynar insulated wire
    to pin 2 of the TurboROM.

    2. Remove the Kaypro EPROM at location U42.

    3. Install the TurboROM into the socket at location U42 on
    the main Kaypro circuit board. Pins 1, 2, 27, and 28
    overhang the 24 pin socket on the end away from the disk
    drives. Pin 3 of the TurboROM is installed into pin 1
    of the 24 pin socket.

    4. Solder the free end of the wire extending from the
    TurboROM to U28 pin 2 (Z80 CPU).

    I haven't tried this (yet), but it sounds comprehensible. Pin 2 of the
    Z80 CPU is A12 (address line). If anybody already have done this, please

    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  10. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    wrote in message
    > Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    >> RED wrote:
    >>
    >>> [...] Then I thought why not try to upgrade to an 8K rom and use the
    >>> KayPlus83 rom just like you tried. I added the extra wire for the
    >>> additional address line and I got the same error message that you did.
    >>> [...]

    >> Ha, that's the wrong way ... just adding address line A12 isn't enough.
    >> You have to make sure CE from U47 is enabled for the other half 4KB too,
    >> means the 74LS138 (U60) has to be connected with two schottky diodes (Pin
    >> 14,15) to CE also.

    > Meanwhile I've found a second hint how to do this (copied from the Turbo
    > ROM document, Appendix D, Early Kaypro II, Field Service Bulletin #4):
    >
    > D.2. Main Board Modification
    >
    > 1. Solder a 6" length of 30 ga. solid kynar insulated wire
    > to pin 2 of the TurboROM.
    >
    > 2. Remove the Kaypro EPROM at location U42.
    >
    > 3. Install the TurboROM into the socket at location U42 on
    > the main Kaypro circuit board. Pins 1, 2, 27, and 28
    > overhang the 24 pin socket on the end away from the disk
    > drives. Pin 3 of the TurboROM is installed into pin 1
    > of the 24 pin socket.
    >
    > 4. Solder the free end of the wire extending from the
    > TurboROM to U28 pin 2 (Z80 CPU).
    >
    > I haven't tried this (yet), but it sounds comprehensible. Pin 2 of the Z80
    > CPU is A12 (address line). If anybody already have done this, please

    Peter,

    This is how I added the extra wire for A12 access. I'll try to add the
    diodes to pins 14 & 15 of U60 as soon as I can get to it. I see that the
    schematic shows a wire going from pin 15 to the rom chip enable. Can I get
    away with using 1N914 diodes?

    Ralph

  11. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    RED wrote:
    (snip)

    > This is how I added the extra wire for A12 access. I'll try to add the
    > diodes to pins 14 & 15 of U60 as soon as I can get to it. I see that the
    > schematic shows a wire going from pin 15 to the rom chip enable. Can I get
    > away with using 1N914 diodes?

    TTL inputs are supposed to be 0.7V or less for a low input. With the
    0.7V drop on an ordinary silicon diode you won't get that. A germanium
    diode or a Schottky barrier diode should work, though.

    -- glen

  12. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "glen herrmannsfeldt" schreef in bericht
    > RED wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    > > This is how I added the extra wire for A12 access. I'll try to add the
    > > diodes to pins 14 & 15 of U60 as soon as I can get to it. I see that

    the
    > > schematic shows a wire going from pin 15 to the rom chip enable. Can I

    get
    > > away with using 1N914 diodes?

    > TTL inputs are supposed to be 0.7V or less for a low input. With the
    > 0.7V drop on an ordinary silicon diode you won't get that. A germanium
    > diode or a Schottky barrier diode should work, though.
    >
    > -- glen

    Hi
    My mobo is an Kaypro II (81-241).
    Between the CPU and the U47 (Eprom) is an latch-chip namely the U59
    (74ls373). In my opinion this is a buffer, because some other adresslines
    (8,9,10,11) of the Eprom are connected too to this chip. Pin5 of of the
    U59 is the adressline 12, so I connected pin2 of the Eprom (U47) to pin 5 of
    the U59 (74ls373).

    In the Turborom in my kaypro 10 there is no buffer like in the Kaypro II. In
    that case I used pin 2 of the CPU.

    Question about tge Kayplus83:
    Why is not the existing connection between CE of the U47 to pin5 of the U60
    pin 15 not enough to enable the Eprom (2764 Kayplus83.rom).
    When I use the 2732 eprom (81-240 bios) there is no problem of Rom error.

    TIA

    Jos

  13. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    Jos van der Geest wrote:
    > Question about tge Kayplus83:
    > Why is not the existing connection between CE of the U47 to pin5 of the U60
    > pin 15 not enough to enable the Eprom (2764 Kayplus83.rom).
    > When I use the 2732 eprom (81-240 bios) there is no problem of Rom error.

    Because CE (chip enable) should be also "addressed" if the "other" 4KB
    (the before upgrade non existing other half part of the 8 KB) ROM
    address is selected on the address bus, means the new EPROM is *not*
    selected if you use an address range other than the original 4KB ROM...
    Just take a look on the schematics again and you will see on an old
    Kaypro II MoBo it was not intented to use the other half address range
    of the whole 8KB EPROM.

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  14. Re: ROM error Kayplus83.rom

    "j.e. van der geest" wrote in

    > Hallo
    > I tried to upgrade an KayproII motherboard PC81-240A and ROM 81-232
    > In the documentation I read that for the upgrade I must use the
    > Kplus83.rom I had the experience with other systems like Kaypro4 and
    > Kaypr10, I upgrade them with Kplus84.rom and the Turborom. Both
    > systems runs fine under the correponding Biosrom.
    > So I thought : "no problem"to upgrade the KayproII .But.....
    > After modification such as Adressline, Vcc, etc. and programming an
    > eprom 2764 rom I thought again jippy but.... no way..
    > System does not start and on the left upper corner of the screen
    > appears the slogan; ROM error . After that a big silence on screen and
    > floppy. I reprogrammed the Eprom and did check them.
    >
    > What's wrong?? Can anyone give me some advise
    >
    > TIA Jos

    Seems we're all still trying to figure out exactly what DOES work on the
    KayPLUS rom...

    I have a Kaypro 4/84, works a charm with a TurboROM, so I decided to try
    the KayPLUS in it, to see how it works. Since I haven't yet added the
    WD1002 and interface board to it yet, it shouldn't be an issue.

    I noticed in the KayPLUS manual, it said the Co-power-88 is supported
    transparently as drive M:. I have a Kaypro-88 with 256kb in the 4/84, so I
    figured it should be easy to get the 256kb working as a RAMdisk.

    WRONG!

    The menu option in the KPCNFG84.COM mentioned in the KayPLUS manual to turn
    on RAMDisk support, does not even show up! Supposedly, you hit for
    System and Video, but there is no RAMDisk option.

    Anyone have this working?
    Is there a different version of the kpcnfg84.com file that I should be
    using?

    Tony

    sharkonwheels -at- g|\/|ail.com