Looking for source for disk formatting program - CP/M

This is a discussion on Looking for source for disk formatting program - CP/M ; All: I just finished the rehabilitation of my IMSAI, replacing the old 8" floppy system with one based on the CompuPro Disk 1 controller (8272-based). The monitor I'm using as a quick-and-dirty disk formatting program in it, but I'm looking ...

  1. Looking for source for disk formatting program

    All:

    I just finished the rehabilitation of my IMSAI, replacing the old 8"
    floppy system with one based on the CompuPro Disk 1 controller (8272-based).
    The monitor I'm using as a quick-and-dirty disk formatting program in it,
    but I'm looking for the source for one with more bells and whistles
    (on-screen progress; verification) that runs under CP/M.

    Does anyone have such a beast?

    Thanks in advance

    Rich

    --
    Rich Cini
    Collector of Classic Computers

  2. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    To follow-up, I did locate a CompuPro/Sorcim formatting program but it looks
    like it was targeted at a particular assembler. It has instructions like
    "STO" and "LDK", which I presume to be macros because they are neither valid
    8080 nor Z80 instructions.

    Can anyone shed some light on these? I'm sure I could re-write the areas of
    code but it would be helpful to find out what these macros originally were.

    Thanks.
    Rich

    On 1/20/08 11:17 AM, in article C3B8DE4F.1500C%rcini@optonline.net, "Richard
    A. Cini" wrote:

    > All:
    >
    > I just finished the rehabilitation of my IMSAI, replacing the old 8"
    > floppy system with one based on the CompuPro Disk 1 controller (8272-based).
    > The monitor I'm using as a quick-and-dirty disk formatting program in it,
    > but I'm looking for the source for one with more bells and whistles
    > (on-screen progress; verification) that runs under CP/M.
    >
    > Does anyone have such a beast?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Rich
    >
    > --
    > Rich Cini
    > Collector of Classic Computers
    > http://www.altair32.com
    > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

  3. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:24:27 -0500, "Richard A. Cini"
    wrote:

    >To follow-up, I did locate a CompuPro/Sorcim formatting program but it looks
    >like it was targeted at a particular assembler. It has instructions like
    >"STO" and "LDK", which I presume to be macros because they are neither valid
    >8080 nor Z80 instructions.

    Looked at my sources and they were the same, then I looked at the
    "NXTREV" subdir and guess what... I'd hit that problem a long bunch
    or years ago.

    The answer is obvious.. sorta. They aren't macros but renamed
    8080 instructions that have a form like the zilog assembler.

    Instructions in the group of 8080 data transfers

    MOV, MVI
    LXI, LDA, LDAX, LHLD
    SHLD STA, STAX

    Also arithmetis group ops like

    ADD DE,[HL]
    DAD DE seemed to work right for that one.

    All got mangled this way for the assembler they used.

    So this:
    STO A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors

    MOV A,E
    STO A,FMT.N ;Set N Field

    LDK D,0
    LDK HL,TFGPL
    ADD HL,DE
    LD A,[hl]
    STO A,FMT.G ;Set gap size

    translates to:

    ; STO A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors
    STA A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors

    MOV A,E

    ; STO A,FMT.N ;Set N Field
    STA A,FMT.N ;Set N Field

    ; LDK D,0
    MVI D,0

    ; LDK HL,TFGPL
    LHLD TFGPL

    ; ADD HL,DE
    DAD DE

    ; LD A,[hl]
    MOV A,M
    ; STO A,FMT.G ;Set gap size
    STA A,FMT.G ;Set gap size

    I think the assembler used was more regular appearing
    and use notation like the Z80 especially for loads and stores
    which for Z80 were all in the LD XX, ZZ form.

    No idea what assembler was used or if it was on a mainframe.

    >Can anyone shed some light on these? I'm sure I could re-write the areas of
    >code but it would be helpful to find out what these macros originally were.

    Hope that helps. After figuring out some of it I decided to write my
    own formatter.

    Allison

  4. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    Allison:

    Thanks a lot. I'll have a go at translating the source file I have. I
    can cross-assemble Z80 instructions so I will probably start by just fixing
    the LDK and STO instructions and see were I go from there.

    Rich

    On 1/24/08 10:32 PM, in article bjjip3lppjqsobo9mesjc58o3vd9ruomdt@4ax.com,
    "no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net" wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:24:27 -0500, "Richard A. Cini"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To follow-up, I did locate a CompuPro/Sorcim formatting program but it looks
    >> like it was targeted at a particular assembler. It has instructions like
    >> "STO" and "LDK", which I presume to be macros because they are neither valid
    >> 8080 nor Z80 instructions.

    > Looked at my sources and they were the same, then I looked at the
    > "NXTREV" subdir and guess what... I'd hit that problem a long bunch
    > or years ago.
    >
    > The answer is obvious.. sorta. They aren't macros but renamed
    > 8080 instructions that have a form like the zilog assembler.
    >
    > Instructions in the group of 8080 data transfers
    >
    > MOV, MVI
    > LXI, LDA, LDAX, LHLD
    > SHLD STA, STAX
    >
    > Also arithmetis group ops like
    >
    > ADD DE,[HL]
    > DAD DE seemed to work right for that one.
    >
    > All got mangled this way for the assembler they used.
    >
    > So this:
    > STO A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors
    >
    > MOV A,E
    > STO A,FMT.N ;Set N Field
    >
    > LDK D,0
    > LDK HL,TFGPL
    > ADD HL,DE
    > LD A,[hl]
    > STO A,FMT.G ;Set gap size
    >
    > translates to:
    >
    > ; STO A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors
    > STA A,FMT.S ;Set number of sectors
    >
    > MOV A,E
    >
    > ; STO A,FMT.N ;Set N Field
    > STA A,FMT.N ;Set N Field
    >
    > ; LDK D,0
    > MVI D,0
    >
    > ; LDK HL,TFGPL
    > LHLD TFGPL
    >
    > ; ADD HL,DE
    > DAD DE
    >
    > ; LD A,[hl]
    > MOV A,M
    > ; STO A,FMT.G ;Set gap size
    > STA A,FMT.G ;Set gap size
    >

    > I think the assembler used was more regular appearing
    > and use notation like the Z80 especially for loads and stores
    > which for Z80 were all in the LD XX, ZZ form.
    >
    > No idea what assembler was used or if it was on a mainframe.
    >
    >> Can anyone shed some light on these? I'm sure I could re-write the areas of
    >> code but it would be helpful to find out what these macros originally were.

    > Hope that helps. After figuring out some of it I decided to write my
    > own formatter.
    >

    > Allison

  5. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    Richard A. Cini wrote:
    > Allison:
    >
    > Thanks a lot. I'll have a go at translating the source file I have. I
    > can cross-assemble Z80 instructions so I will probably start by just fixing
    > the LDK and STO instructions and see were I go from there.
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > On 1/24/08 10:32 PM, in article bjjip3lppjqsobo9mesjc58o3vd9ruomdt@4ax.com,
    > "no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net" wrote:

    <<>>

    Hello Richard,

    I remembered seeing a CP/M BIOS for Compupro which originally used the
    Sorcim ACT assembler but which had been converted to standard 8080
    mnemonics. After some searching I found it at this location.

    http://www.speakeasy.org/~rzh/bb.html

    There are CompuPro Boot loaders and CP/M 2.2 CBIOS for DISK1. Perhaps
    this will provide some clues about the Sorcim instruction translation.
    There is also an AMPRO floppy disk formatter for CP/M.

    Also http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib...obbs-1980.html
    mentions an article by Steve Newberry reviewing ACTxx cross assemblers.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

  6. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    Thanks. I've been to Roger's site before. Now googling on Sorcim ACT
    assembler produces some interesting hits, including news archives from 1982
    complaining about it.

    Thanks again for the lead.

    On 1/25/08 11:45 PM, in article iVymj.8$jg2.2@newsfe11.lga, "Jeffrey W.
    Shook" <31415926@optonline.net> wrote:

    > Richard A. Cini wrote:
    >> Allison:
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot. I'll have a go at translating the source file I have. I
    >> can cross-assemble Z80 instructions so I will probably start by just fixing
    >> the LDK and STO instructions and see were I go from there.
    >>
    >> Rich
    >>

    >> On 1/24/08 10:32 PM, in article bjjip3lppjqsobo9mesjc58o3vd9ruomdt@4ax.com,
    >> "no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net" wrote:
    >>

    > <<>>
    >

    > Hello Richard,
    >
    > I remembered seeing a CP/M BIOS for Compupro which originally used the
    > Sorcim ACT assembler but which had been converted to standard 8080
    > mnemonics. After some searching I found it at this location.
    >
    > http://www.speakeasy.org/~rzh/bb.html
    >
    > There are CompuPro Boot loaders and CP/M 2.2 CBIOS for DISK1. Perhaps
    > this will provide some clues about the Sorcim instruction translation.
    > There is also an AMPRO floppy disk formatter for CP/M.
    >
    > Also http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib...obbs-1980.html
    > mentions an article by Steve Newberry reviewing ACTxx cross assemblers.
    >

    > Jeffrey W. Shook

  7. Re: Looking for source for disk formatting program

    "Richard A. Cini" wrote:

    > Thanks. I've been to Roger's site before. Now googling on Sorcim
    > ACT assembler produces some interesting hits, including news
    > archives from 1982 complaining about it.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)