Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor - CP/M

This is a discussion on Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor - CP/M ; A while back Fred Jan Kraan posted working disk images of Logo Professor at these links: http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...sklibrary.html http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/q...sklibrary.html I was wondering if anyone has been able to run any of these images under an emulator. I've been searching for Windows ...

  1. Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    A while back Fred Jan Kraan posted working disk images of Logo Professor
    at these links:

    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...sklibrary.html
    http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/q...sklibrary.html

    I was wondering if anyone has been able to run any of these images under
    an emulator.

    I've been searching for Windows emulators and I found 2 that look promising:
    YAZE - http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/
    eQC-10 - http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-takeda/top.html

    And there are QX-10 ROMs here:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/qx10/detail.html

    I can't get the ROMs to run properly under either emulator, even after I
    padded them with null bytes so that both the boot rom and the font rom
    are 4096 bytes. (A successful run should yield "insert diskette")

    Anyway I've been at this for a while and I haven't made much progress.
    Ultimately, my goal is just to run Acorn's Logo Professor. Any comments
    or advice would be appreciated.

    Jason

  2. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Hello.

    Jason Smestad wrote in message ...

    >Ultimately, my goal is just to run Acorn's Logo Professor. Any comments
    >or advice would be appreciated.
    >
    >Jason

    Me too....There is an Acorn BBC Emulator, Beebem v3.81, which has a z80
    emulation:

    http://www.mikebuk.dsl.pipex.com/beebem/index.html

    CPM system disks here:

    http://mdfs.net/

    Greetz, Katzy.

  3. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Jason Smestad wrote:
    > [...]
    > I've been searching for Windows emulators and I found 2 that look
    > promising:
    > eQC-10 - http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-takeda/top.html

    Have tested Takeda's "CP/M Player", which is based on the MAME Z80
    emulation. It's not really usable, because even the simplest disk
    operation tasks are failing and programs which needs a shell stack are
    failing too. It's promising still, but has to get to a higher maturity
    level still. Unfortunately it's not developed further anymore (2004).
    Other emulators are better, see also at http://www.z80.eu/myz80cpm.html ...

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  4. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > Have tested Takeda's "CP/M Player", which is based on the MAME Z80 ...

    Have you tried eQC-10? I was referring to that one, on the same page.

  5. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Jason Smestad wrote:
    > Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    >> Have tested Takeda's "CP/M Player", which is based on the MAME Z80 ...

    > Have you tried eQC-10? I was referring to that one, on the same page.

    Yes. It doesn't work. I've downloaded the .hex files, and converted them
    to binaries (result was exactly 2048 bytes long, not 4KB).
    After having IPL.ROM and FONT.ROM in the same directory, I wasn't able
    to start the emulator, too - it beeps and show up just a few ascii
    symbols and a grid.
    I even don't know how to generate .d88 disk image files from a teledisk
    image, I was able to convert teledisk to .fdi or .dsk format, but I
    didn't find any hint to generate .d88 disk format files.
    I've found some source code (t2d.cpp) on the same web site (Takeda) but
    I can't compile it.
    I guess it's a waste of time to go further...

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  6. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    This may or may not be helpful. The emulator Vice supports the
    Commodore 128, including the Z80 CPU so it runs CP/M 3.0 in emulation.
    If you are not familiar with the C128, it has 3 modes. C64 mode, C128
    mode and CP/M mode. Commodore shipped the machine with CP/M 3.0 disks.

  7. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > Jason Smestad wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> I've been searching for Windows emulators and I found 2 that look
    >> promising:
    >> eQC-10 - http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-takeda/top.html

    > Have tested Takeda's "CP/M Player", which is based on the MAME Z80
    > emulation. It's not really usable, because even the simplest disk
    > operation tasks are failing and programs which needs a shell stack are
    > failing too. It's promising still, but has to get to a higher maturity
    > level still. Unfortunately it's not developed further anymore (2004).

    To get this Logo Professor working, you need an accurate disk controller
    emulator and an image type that can reproduce the time delay between the
    index pulse and first readable sector (for some tracks this is actually
    the second sector as the first is jammed by the last).

    Another issue is that Logo Professor, like most logo's use graphics, and
    those are not quite standard for CPM (I doubt GSX is used).

    Fred Jan

  8. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > Jason Smestad wrote:
    >> Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    >>> Have tested Takeda's "CP/M Player", which is based on the MAME Z80 ...

    >> Have you tried eQC-10? I was referring to that one, on the same page.

    > Yes. It doesn't work. I've downloaded the .hex files, and converted them
    > to binaries (result was exactly 2048 bytes long, not 4KB).
    > After having IPL.ROM and FONT.ROM in the same directory, I wasn't able
    > to start the emulator, too - it beeps and show up just a few ascii
    > symbols and a grid.
    > I even don't know how to generate .d88 disk image files from a teledisk
    > image, I was able to convert teledisk to .fdi or .dsk format, but I
    > didn't find any hint to generate .d88 disk format files.
    > I've found some source code (t2d.cpp) on the same web site (Takeda) but
    > I can't compile it.
    > I guess it's a waste of time to go further...

    What hex files did you use? When I converted QX10BOOT.hex into a binary
    I got 2160 bytes. For MFBOARD.hex and QGE.hex I got 2177 bytes for each.
    When I run it I get constant interval beeps and a mostly black screen.
    It won't display any ascii symbols for me.

  9. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
    > To get this Logo Professor working, you need an accurate disk controller
    > emulator and an image type that can reproduce the time delay between the
    > index pulse and first readable sector (for some tracks this is actually
    > the second sector as the first is jammed by the last).
    >
    > Another issue is that Logo Professor, like most logo's use graphics, and
    > those are not quite standard for CPM (I doubt GSX is used).
    >
    > Fred Jan

    It doesn't look like such an emulator exists right now. I think the best
    chance of success lies with Takeda's eQC-10, since it is open source.

    I've been debugging the emulator to try and determine why it doesn't
    start correctly. So far I've determined that the ROM is being loaded and
    executed properly. I suspect that the ROM is trying to initialize
    something that the emulator doesn't support - maybe the NEC graphics
    chip. I suppose the next step would be to disassemble the ROM and step
    through it to find out where it breaks at.

  10. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Jason Smestad wrote:
    > [...]
    > What hex files did you use? When I converted QX10BOOT.hex into a binary
    > I got 2160 bytes. For MFBOARD.hex and QGE.hex I got 2177 bytes for each.
    > When I run it I get constant interval beeps and a mostly black screen.
    > It won't display any ascii symbols for me.

    I guess you didn't take the correct conversion program ;-)
    I have done the conversion to binary with the help of hex2bin, which
    could be downloaded from http://www.keil.com/download/docs/7.asp
    I guess I took the same hex files.

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  11. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > I guess you didn't take the correct conversion program ;-)
    > I have done the conversion to binary with the help of hex2bin, which
    > could be downloaded from http://www.keil.com/download/docs/7.asp
    > I guess I took the same hex files.
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    Thanks I got the same results you did with that program. I guess I was
    including some bytes that were not part of the binary. It still doesn't
    work though. I wonder if QGE.hex is actually FONT.ROM though because
    eQC-10's readme says that FONT.ROM would be 4kb but QGE is 2kb.

  12. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    On Jan 20, 9:25 am, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:

    > To get this Logo Professor working, you need an accurate disk controller
    > emulator and an image type that can reproduce the time delay between the
    > index pulse and first readable sector (for some tracks this is actually
    > the second sector as the first is jammed by the last).

    Could you explain why that level of emulation is necessary? Why can't
    an imaged
    disk with sectors in the "correct" order be sufficient? I don't quite
    follow your description
    "the first is jammed by the last". But it sounds like some kind of
    "copy protection".

    Herb Johnson
    retrotechnology.com

  13. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Herb Johnson wrote:
    > On Jan 20, 9:25 am, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
    >
    >> To get this Logo Professor working, you need an accurate disk controller
    >> emulator and an image type that can reproduce the time delay between the
    >> index pulse and first readable sector (for some tracks this is actually
    >> the second sector as the first is jammed by the last).
    >>

    > Could you explain why that level of emulation is necessary? Why can't
    > an imaged
    > disk with sectors in the "correct" order be sufficient? I don't quite
    > follow your description
    > "the first is jammed by the last". But it sounds like some kind of
    > "copy protection".
    >
    > Herb Johnson
    > retrotechnology.com

    Yes it does have copy protection, Fred Jan Kraan explained this in an
    earlier post. He said this

    "The copy protection consisted of unformatted tracks and
    some 'overformatted' tracks, making the first sector unreadable. The
    larger interval between the index pulse and the first sector found is
    needed for a working disk."

  14. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Update on this.

    I've been studying eQC-10 and also the boot ROM (from QX10BOOT.hex) and
    I have come to believe that this ROM dump is actually bad.

    I have disassembled the ROM and I have spent all day so far stepping
    through it and trying to figure out how it works. While studying it, I
    made notes in the disassembled source. I have placed the disassembled
    file with my notes here:

    http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/QX10BOOT_annotated.asm

    The execution of this ROM freezes at the instruction at 0x0469 after a
    call to a routine starting at 0x01c5.

    In this routine, note the numerous instructions which conditionally jump
    to the address 0x01c1. Now look at the instruction at 0x024e:

    024e c2c100 jp nz,#00c1

    It jumps to address 0x00c1, but this address is actually in the middle
    of an instruction. The last byte of this instruction is 0x00, I believe
    that it is supposed to 0x01, making the conditional jump to 0x01c1 just
    like all the other conditional jumps before it.

    You'll also notice that there are numerous nop instructions following
    this instruction. Control passes through this block, then on 0x0263 the
    accumulator is compared with the number 0x11, and since this value is
    not in the accumulator, the following jump statement passes control to
    0x01c1 and shortly thereafter an infinite loop is entered.

    Now the kicker. If you set a breakpoint in z80.cpp on line 615 (first
    statement inside Z80::execute_op()) and put the condition PC==0x0260,
    run the program, and when it stops set the accumulator (regs[0].b[1]) to
    0x11, then disable the breakpoint and continue running the program, the
    garbled text appears in the center of the screen and the continuous beep
    is no longer present!

    See this screen shot:

    http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/eqctest01262008.jpg

    I'll bet you that those 15 garbled characters in the center of the
    display are supposed to say "INSERT DISKETTE"

    So anyway, that's why I believe that this ROM is bad. I'm still working
    on it to see if maybe I can fix it. I think it's the best shot I have of
    running Logo Professor again. If anyone has a good ROM it would save me
    a lot of time and I would appreciate it very much.

    Jason

  15. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    Well I've been working on this all day, and I think I got eQC-10 running.

    I added an "ld a,11" instruction in the ROM where the missing
    instructions are. I don't know what instructions are supposed to be
    there, but the routine seems to do with centering this text on the
    screen and since the text is centered it's probably not very important.

    After some pondering, I decided that the ROM was running just fine but
    FONT.ROM (from QGE.hex) was screwy. I found out that a single character
    uses 16 bytes, and thus QGE.hex only contains 128 characters.
    Furthermore, there are not any ASCII characters in the whole file! After
    tinkering with it for a while I discovered how the numbers fit together
    to make an image of the character, and I botched together some ASCII
    characters of my own. Here is the result:

    http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/eqctest01262008_2.jpg

    I put a copy of eQC-10 together with my hacked ROMS here if anyone is
    interested:

    http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/eqc10_01262008.zip

  16. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    On Jan 26, 10:25*pm, Jason Smestad wrote:
    > Well I've been working on this all day, and I think I got eQC-10 running.
    >
    > I added an "ld a,11" instruction in the ROM where the missing
    > instructions are. I don't know what instructions are supposed to be
    > there, but the routine seems to do with centering this text on the
    > screen and since the text is centered it's probably not very important.
    >
    > After some pondering, I decided that the ROM was running just fine but
    > FONT.ROM (from QGE.hex) was screwy. I found out that a single character
    > uses 16 bytes, and thus QGE.hex only contains 128 characters.
    > Furthermore, there are not any ASCII characters in the whole file! After
    > tinkering with it for a while I discovered how the numbers fit together
    > to make an image of the character, and I botched together some ASCII
    > characters of my own. Here is the result:
    >
    > http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/eqctest01262008_2.jpg
    >
    > I put a copy of eQC-10 together with my hacked ROMS here if anyone is
    > interested:
    >
    > http://www.foamplate.net/qx10/eqc10_01262008.zip

    I have a QX-10 that I could copy the IPL and Character roms from , if
    that would help you.I thought the IPL was 16k on a 2716 and the
    Character Rom was 32k on a 2732 Is there a program to read the roms or
    I could pull them and see if a friend could copy them for you I have a
    US made QX-10 with the hasci keyboard.Did you ever get the emulator
    working to use disks as I do not know how to change dsk or tdo Disks
    to d88? what is the d88 format?

  17. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    GMullen wrote:
    > I have a QX-10 that I could copy the IPL and Character roms from , if
    > that would help you.I thought the IPL was 16k on a 2716 and the
    > Character Rom was 32k on a 2732 Is there a program to read the roms or
    > I could pull them and see if a friend could copy them for you I have a
    > US made QX-10 with the hasci keyboard.Did you ever get the emulator
    > working to use disks as I do not know how to change dsk or tdo Disks
    > to d88? what is the d88 format?

    According to the eQC-10 source code, d88 is a "Open TOSHIBA PASOPIA 7
    Disk" file. Inside of Takeda's common source code archive I found a
    program called t2d which I was able to compile, and I used it to convert
    some td0 disks into d88. I was able to run CP/M 2.2 and MBASIC from
    within the emulator. So far I have not been able to get Valdocs to run.

    The td0 image of Logo Professor is not complete therefore it would be
    impossible to make a d88 image of it. As far as I know there is no
    utility to convert a DSK image into a d88 image so I would probably have
    to make one.

    If you could copy those ROMs for me I would appreciate it very much!

  18. Re: Z80 emulator to run Logo Professor

    On Jan 28, 6:43*pm, Jason Smestad wrote:
    >d88? what is the d88 format?
    >
    > > If you could copy those ROMs for me I would appreciate it very much!

    It took me a week to get the t2d from that site to compile as I had
    never used the Microsoft C++ compiler but I have now converted many of
    the td0 files to d88
    and ran them in the EQC emulator but many grapic characters do not
    display properly. I notice that the QGE prom is from the European
    QX-10 ,many of which use the Multifonts card and asci keyboard while
    my QX-10 has a 2732a QGE prom and uses the hasici keyboard I have 2
    qX-10 computers ,so I pulled the 2716d and the 2732a from one of them
    and tried to copy the roms using an old mep4 programmer I do not know
    if the programmer was working correctly ,but when I moved the contents
    of the prom to a buffer everyting looked fine but it cleared both
    proms when I tried to copy the buffer to a disk file I will totally
    erase the 2 proms and try to program them with your prom files to see
    if the programmer is working ok ,but I am afraid to try the copy
    process on the the other QX-10 until I can determine what I did wrong
    or if the mep4 is defective . I should never have tried the mep4 with
    these good proms until I had worked with it for awhile I will try to
    figure out a way to copy the IPL and character roms by writing a
    program before I attempt the prom copy again with the programmer but I
    do not have any programming experience and must go through the service
    manual to see what might be involved
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread