Spectra Video 328 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Spectra Video 328 - CP/M ; Hi all, got hold of a Spectra Video 328 with CPM 2.24 on on a disk, boots allright but the disk seems to have some bad sectors and some of the programs like ED dont work, might be bad sectors... ...

  1. Spectra Video 328

    Hi all, got hold of a Spectra Video 328 with CPM 2.24 on on a disk,
    boots allright but the disk seems to have some bad sectors and some of
    the programs like ED dont work, might be bad sectors... is there anyway
    i could get hold of a boot disk for this machine that works? of if i
    could compile a new copy of the programs on the disk that dont work? the
    machine has a Z80 cpu, If anyone has any info about this machine i would
    be gratefull to hear from you!

    Roger

  2. Re: Spectra Video 328

    >On Jan 19, 3:44 pm, Roger Schmidt wrote:
    > Hi all, got hold of a Spectra Video 328 with CPM 2.24 on on a disk,
    > boots allright but the disk seems to have some bad sectors and some of
    > the programs like ED dont work, might be bad sectors... is there anyway
    > i could get hold of a boot disk for this machine that works? of if i
    > could compile a new copy of the programs on the disk that dont work? the
    > machine has a Z80 cpu, If anyone has any info about this machine i would
    > be gratefull to hear from you!

    David Dunfield's ImageDisk is a great tool for this purpose, because
    it also stores the disk format. There's also a small util included for
    converting the disk images to a raw data format used by emulators.

    ImageDisk
    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/

    Here are some disk images in a raw data format for use with emulators.

    SVI-328 CP/M-80 v2.22 for single sided drives (SVI-905, SVI-605)
    http://www.bluemsx.com/dev_download/.../dsk_CPMSS.zip

    SVI-328 CP/M-80 v2.24 for double sided drives (SVI-605B)
    http://www.bluemsx.com/dev_download/.../dsk_CPMDS.zip

    SVI-328 Disk Basic 1.0 for double sided drives
    http://www.bluemsx.com/dev_download/...iskBasicDS.zip

    SVI-328 Z-CPR3 for double sided drives (requires 80 column card)
    http://www.bluemsx.com/dev_download/.../dsk_ZCPR3.zip

    For curiosa, the source code for the Spectravideo CP/M CBIOS can be
    found here.
    http://msx.retro8bits.com/msxsw.html

    Reading and writing CP/M files can be done with for example 22Disk
    which includes Spectravideo disk definition for double and single
    sided drives. The format is also compatible with the Rank Xerox 820 II
    SS/DS.

    I can e-mail you disk images in IMD format for generating new disks.
    The problem is often that the PC FDC can handle the first track which
    is FM formatted. If you have a working SVI format program, you can
    simply skip this track. Otherwise I can send you a fresh disk.

    Btw. various info and manuals can be found at Roger Samdal's
    Spectravideo page:
    http://www.samdal.com/spectravideo.htm

    /Tomas

  3. Re: Spectra Video 328

    gargamel.se@gmail.com wrote:

    > For curiosa, the source code for the Spectravideo CP/M CBIOS can be
    > found here.
    > http://msx.retro8bits.com/msxsw.html

    Unfortunately, none of the CBIOS download links work.

    Was there ever a CP/M machine that used the 8272 floppy controller chip that
    was used in the IBM PC controller? If so, is the CBIOS source available?

    tnx!

    g.

  4. Re: Spectra Video 328

    >On Jan 21, 6:38*pm, ge...@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:
    > Unfortunately, none of the CBIOS download links work.
    >
    > Was there ever a CP/M machine that used the 8272 floppy controller chip that
    > was used in the IBM PC controller? *If so, is the CBIOS source available?

    Thanks, for pointing that out. The files are also available from
    Roger Hanscom's CBIOS Boneyard page:

    http://www.speakeasy.org/~rzh/bb.html

    Spectravideo uses the Western Digital 1793 FDC. However there must a
    quite a few CP/M machines that uses the PC FDC, out me head I know of
    Amstrad CPC and Bondwell 2.

    /Tomas

  5. Re: Spectra Video 328

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:38:40 -0000, geneb@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:

    >gargamel.se@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> For curiosa, the source code for the Spectravideo CP/M CBIOS can be
    >> found here.
    >> http://msx.retro8bits.com/msxsw.html
    >>

    >Unfortunately, none of the CBIOS download links work.
    >
    >Was there ever a CP/M machine that used the 8272 floppy controller chip that
    >was used in the IBM PC controller? If so, is the CBIOS source available?
    >
    >tnx!
    >
    >g.

    There were quite a few. Starting with the Compupro Disk1 and 1A.
    Also a bunch of the single board Z80 systems (z80,64-256k of ram, PIO,
    SIO and FDC on an S100 card). The bios for DISK1/1A can be found on
    line.

    Allison

    Allison

  6. Re: Spectra Video 328

    > On Jan 21, 6:38 pm, ge...@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:
    > Was there ever a CP/M machine that used the 8272 floppy controller chip that
    > was used in the IBM PC controller? If so, is the CBIOS source available?

    I meant the Bondwell 12/14/16 that has the NEC 765 controller (BW2
    uses
    the WD FDC).

    I don't have any system disk and no CBIOS source on the net. The only
    thing
    is the BWFMT.LBR archive that contains utils for formatting Kaypro II
    and
    Osborne I disks. Only binarys so you have to disassemble them, the 765
    FDC
    uses I/O ports $20-$21.

    /Tomas

  7. Re: Spectra Video 328

    >> Was there ever a CP/M machine that used the 8272 floppy controller chip that
    >> was used in the IBM PC controller? If so, is the CBIOS source available?

    >I meant the Bondwell 12/14/16 that has the NEC 765 controller (BW2
    >uses the WD FDC).

    >I don't have any system disk and no CBIOS source on the net. The only
    >thing is the BWFMT.LBR archive that contains utils for formatting Kaypro II
    >and Osborne I disks. Only binarys so you have to disassemble them, the 765
    >FDC uses I/O ports $20-$21.

    The Compupro DISK1(A) controllers use the 765/8272 - I have the system
    disk images on my site. Browsing through the .IMD images the CP/M 2.2
    disk appears to have the .ASM CBIOS source code on it- so that might be
    a useful resource. The manual for the card is also available there.

    The ImageDisk source code (also available on my site) has 'C' routines
    for formatting with the 765 on a PC. I can also provide fairly simple 6809
    code to format floppies using a 765 - neither of these exactly pertain to
    CP/M, however if you end up writing your own, they might be useful