Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64 - CP/M ; --{ x01001x a plopé ceci: }-- > What is the most popular out of the box software for writing and > compiling FORTRAN on the Commodore 64? Don't know for the 6502, but if you have a CP/M sidecar for ...

  1. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    --{ x01001x a plopé ceci: }--

    > What is the most popular out of the box software for writing and
    > compiling FORTRAN on the Commodore 64?

    Don't know for the 6502, but if you have a CP/M sidecar for
    your C=64, you can run a Microsoft Fortran compiler, I think.

    fu2 comp.os.cpm ?

    --
    Et qu'y a-t-il de plus repérable qu'un fufeur qui trolle ?

  2. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    "Thierry B." wrote in message
    > --{ x01001x a plopé ceci: }--
    >
    >> What is the most popular out of the box software for writing and
    >> compiling FORTRAN on the Commodore 64?

    > Don't know for the 6502, but if you have a CP/M sidecar for
    > your C=64, you can run a Microsoft Fortran compiler, I think.

    For the 64 it would probably be Nevada FORTRAN.

    Tom Lake

  3. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "Thierry B." wrote in message
    >> --{ x01001x a plopé ceci: }--
    >>
    >>> What is the most popular out of the box software for writing and
    >>> compiling FORTRAN on the Commodore 64?

    >> Don't know for the 6502, but if you have a CP/M sidecar for
    >> your C=64, you can run a Microsoft Fortran compiler, I think.

    > For the 64 it would probably be Nevada FORTRAN.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    No. CP/M is not really usable on a C64 (more theoretical than practical,
    40 cols + 44 KB RAM only), believe me. For the C64, there was a product
    called "Abacus Compiler Fortran 64", d/l it at
    http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/on...fortran-64.d64 if you want
    to try it. I've no glue what quality this compiler is, but it runs with
    the C64 native (without the ugly Z80 cartridge).

    Regards Peter

    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  4. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    > * your C=64, you can run a Microsoft Fortran compiler, I think.

    I would be speaking of a default C64 config.

  5. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    >>> Don't know for the 6502, but if you have a CP/M sidecar for
    >>> your C=64, you can run a Microsoft Fortran compiler, I think.

    >> For the 64 it would probably be Nevada FORTRAN.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake

    > No. CP/M is not really usable on a C64 (more theoretical than practical,
    > 40 cols + 44 KB RAM only), believe me. For the C64, there was a product

    I'm not talking about the CP/M version. There were native 6502
    BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN compilers put out under the Nevada name
    as well as CP/M versions. Nevada FORTRAN was used by most C64
    FORTRAN users since it required no additional hardware.

    Tom Lake

  6. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    Tom Lake wrote:
    >>> For the 64 it would probably be Nevada FORTRAN.
    >>>

    >> No. CP/M is not really usable on a C64 (more theoretical than
    >> practical, 40 cols + 44 KB RAM only), believe me. For the C64, there
    >> was a product

    > I'm not talking about the CP/M version. There were native 6502 BASIC,
    > COBOL and FORTRAN compilers put out under the Nevada name as well as
    > CP/M versions. Nevada FORTRAN was used by most C64 FORTRAN users since
    > it required no additional hardware.

    Hi Tom,

    can't believe that, are you really sure ? Have searched for any hint on
    Google but didn't find any. Do you have any web link with more
    information about it ? I've found only Nevada Fortran in conjunction
    with CP/M ...

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos.

  7. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:

    >>> No. CP/M is not really usable on a C64 (more theoretical than
    >>> practical, 40 cols + 44 KB RAM only), believe me. For the C64, there
    >>> was a product

    >> I'm not talking about the CP/M version. There were native 6502 BASIC,
    >> COBOL and FORTRAN compilers put out under the Nevada name as well as
    >> CP/M versions. Nevada FORTRAN was used by most C64 FORTRAN users
    >> since it required no additional hardware.

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > can't believe that, are you really sure ? Have searched for any hint on
    > Google but didn't find any. Do you have any web link with more
    > information about it ? I've found only Nevada Fortran in conjunction
    > with CP/M ...
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    "Compute!" magazine, Jan. 1986 - Guide to C64 Languages- Descriptions &
    Prices

    ADA, BASIC, COMAL, C POWER, C-64 Forth/79, Enhanced Forth, Kyan Pascal,
    Logo, Master Forth, Nevada COBOL, Nevada Fortran, PILOT, PROMAL, Simons'
    BASIC, The Sixty Forth, Super C Language Compiler, Super Expander 64,
    Super Forth 64 + AI, Super Pascal, UltraBASIC 64, VideoBASIC 64, White
    Lightning

    http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/maga...pute_jan86.jpg

    David

  8. Re: FORTRAN on Commodore 64

    "David Snowdon" wrote in message
    > Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    >> Tom Lake wrote:
    >>> I'm not talking about the CP/M version. There were native 6502 BASIC,
    >>> COBOL and FORTRAN compilers put out under the Nevada name as well as
    >>> CP/M versions. Nevada FORTRAN was used by most C64 FORTRAN users since
    >>> it required no additional hardware.

    >> Hi Tom,
    >>
    >> can't believe that, are you really sure ? Have searched for any hint on
    >> Google but didn't find any. Do you have any web link with more
    >> information about it ? I've found only Nevada Fortran in conjunction with
    >> CP/M ...

    > "Compute!" magazine, Jan. 1986 - Guide to C64 Languages- Descriptions &
    > Prices

    I was wrong, then. It was sold by Commodore but required the CP/M
    cartridge.
    I do remember it was more popular than MS FORTRAN (at least among our
    users group), but it must have been because Commodore sold it rather than a
    no hardware requirement.

    Tom Lake

+ Reply to Thread