Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86 - CP/M ; BOOTANY appears to be a nice utility, however I did find one problem with it. Once installed it CAN'T be un-installed! The only way to get rid of it is to do a low level format of the hard disk. ...

  1. Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86

    BOOTANY appears to be a nice utility, however I did find one problem with
    it. Once installed it CAN'T be un-installed! The only way to get rid of it
    is to do a low level format of the hard disk. This was possible on MFM
    drives but not on IDE drives. Even running FDISK and deleting all partitions
    won't get rid of it. The program appears to have been written with a real
    IBM PC in mind since one of the options is to start the ROM BASIC, which
    today's PC's don't have. Will keep trying.

    Don

    "Roger Ivie" wrote in message

    > Back in the days I was doing this sort of thing, I used a boot block
    > called BOOTANY that I found on the net. It popped up a little menu
    > allowing me to select the OS. Making a selection set that partition
    > active and continued the boot sequence. Came with source.
    > --
    > Roger Ivie

  2. Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86

    In article news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, d.w.coates@worldnet.att.net
    says...
    > BOOTANY appears to be a nice utility, however I did find one problem with
    > it. Once installed it CAN'T be un-installed! The only way to get rid of it
    > is to do a low level format of the hard disk. This was possible on MFM
    > drives but not on IDE drives. Even running FDISK and deleting all partitions
    > won't get rid of it. The program appears to have been written with a real
    > IBM PC in mind since one of the options is to start the ROM BASIC, which
    > today's PC's don't have. Will keep trying.
    >
    > Don
    >
    > "Roger Ivie" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Back in the days I was doing this sort of thing, I used a boot block
    > > called BOOTANY that I found on the net. It popped up a little menu
    > > allowing me to select the OS. Making a selection set that partition
    > > active and continued the boot sequence. Came with source.
    > > --
    > > Roger Ivie

    Have you tried "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS boot floppy? I
    think the parameter exists from 5.0 on, maybe form 6.0
    on I'm not sure. It re-writes the original master boot
    record of the HD, so everything should be as before you
    had installed BOOTANY.

    Robert
    --
    Wartna dir hilfi...

  3. Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86

    Thanks. "fdisk /mbr" did the trick. I also found a neat utility on Seagate's
    web site called DiskWizard. One of its features is the ability to "zero" out
    an entire IDE hard disk. That returns the drive to its original new
    configuration.

    My luck BOOTANY wasn't so good. The example installation used two versions
    of OS2 and MS-DOS 4. I was trying to install MS-DOS 5, 6.22 and CP/M-86 but
    it just wouldn't work. I finally settled on version 5 and CP/M-86. I used
    "CVV" and got seven 8 Meg drives off the leftovers after install DOS. I want
    to be able to run Z80MU310 and that program does strange things on DOS 6 or
    higher.

    Anyway, Thanks for all the help. BTW, I've got a Kaypro 10 coming on Monday
    so it looks like I will be up to my ears in CP/M in a few days. :-)

    Don

    > Have you tried "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS boot floppy? I
    > think the parameter exists from 5.0 on, maybe form 6.0
    > on I'm not sure. It re-writes the original master boot
    > record of the HD, so everything should be as before you
    > had installed BOOTANY.
    >
    > Robert

  4. Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86

    "Donald Coates" wrote in news:rVNvf.233086
    $qk4.125340@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > Even running FDISK and deleting all partitions
    > won't get rid of it.

    Did you try FDISK /mbr?

  5. Re: Dual booting in DOS(Windows) and CP/M-86

    I did and it worked.

    Don

    "elaich" wrote in message news:42gigvF1iosvkU2@individual.net...
    > "Donald Coates" wrote in news:rVNvf.233086
    > $qk4.125340@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
    >
    > > Even running FDISK and deleting all partitions
    > > won't get rid of it.

    > Did you try FDISK /mbr?

+ Reply to Thread