Kaypro ROM's and boot disks - CP/M

This is a discussion on Kaypro ROM's and boot disks - CP/M ; I was wondering if the binary images of any of the Kaypro ROM's are available. The Tech Ref manual list at least four different part numbers: 81-149-C 81-232-A 81-292-A 81-326-E The manual doesn't list the Kaypro 1 or Kaypro 10. ...

  1. Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    I was wondering if the binary images of any of the Kaypro ROM's are
    available. The Tech Ref manual list at least four different part
    numbers:

    81-149-C
    81-232-A
    81-292-A
    81-326-E

    The manual doesn't list the Kaypro 1 or Kaypro 10. I have the 10, part
    number 81-302.

    I found a pretty good disassembler and would like to take a crack at
    regenerating the source, unless they already exist someplace. It bugs
    me that the K-10 only supports 1 floppy drive.

    Also, would it be possible to get a set of original boot disk images
    for the K-10? I found the K10G reload set on the web but don't know if
    they match the original disks.

    Thanks
    Don

  2. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    Don wrote:

    > I was wondering if the binary images of any of the Kaypro ROM's
    > are available. The Tech Ref manual list at least four different
    > part numbers:
    >
    > 81-149-C
    > 81-232-A
    > 81-292-A
    > 81-326-E
    >
    > The manual doesn't list the Kaypro 1 or Kaypro 10. I have the
    > 10, part number 81-302.
    >
    > I found a pretty good disassembler and would like to take a
    > crack at regenerating the source, unless they already exist
    > someplace. It bugs me that the K-10 only supports 1 floppy
    > drive.
    >
    > Also, would it be possible to get a set of original boot disk
    > images for the K-10? I found the K10G reload set on the web but
    > don't know if they match the original disks.

    I believe Gabys site has the appropriate sources.

    More details at:

  3. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    On 16 Jan 2006 10:20:34 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >I was wondering if the binary images of any of the Kaypro ROM's are
    >available. The Tech Ref manual list at least four different part
    >numbers:
    >
    >81-149-C
    >81-232-A
    >81-292-A
    >81-326-E
    >
    >The manual doesn't list the Kaypro 1 or Kaypro 10. I have the 10, part
    >number 81-302.
    >
    >I found a pretty good disassembler and would like to take a crack at
    >regenerating the source, unless they already exist someplace. It bugs
    >me that the K-10 only supports 1 floppy drive.
    >
    >Also, would it be possible to get a set of original boot disk images
    >for the K-10? I found the K10G reload set on the web but don't know if
    >they match the original disks.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Don

    The reload disk set 2.2G will work fine with Kaypro 10 and 81-302
    system rom. The 81-302 system rom was the one that matched for K10.

    A rom upgrade, TurboRom 3.4 will support more that 1 floppy drive.

    However, you will need to do a mod to the case to access an additional
    drive. If the OEM full height hard drive is replaced with a half
    height MFM drive (ie. ST225) there is space to add another floppy or
    another hard drive. Mounting screws in 2nd half of hard drive bay will
    need to be drilled.

    Good luck on your project

  4. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    Don wrote:

    > I was wondering if the binary images of any of the Kaypro ROM's are
    > available. The Tech Ref manual list at least four different part
    > numbers:
    >
    > 81-149-C
    > 81-232-A
    > 81-292-A
    > 81-326-E
    >
    > The manual doesn't list the Kaypro 1 or Kaypro 10. I have the 10, part
    > number 81-302.
    >
    > I found a pretty good disassembler and would like to take a crack at
    > regenerating the source, unless they already exist someplace. It bugs
    > me that the K-10 only supports 1 floppy drive.
    >
    > Also, would it be possible to get a set of original boot disk images
    > for the K-10? I found the K10G reload set on the web but don't know if
    > they match the original disks.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Don

    -------------------
    Check out my pile of them, here:

    http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/Roms/kaypro/

    I don't know if it's what you want, but I will gladly accept copies
    of the code from any ROMs people wish to preserve and post them if
    I have room or just store them for everyone.

    -Steve
    --
    -Steve Walz rstevew@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
    Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!

  5. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    Thanks Steve. I downloaded all of the ROM images from your site. The
    K-10 boot ROM matched the 81-302 ROM in my system.

    I did find a list of all Kaypro 10 version on the WC CD-ROM. It looks
    like there was 3 different models, 5 versions of CP/M and 4 different
    ROM part numbers for the K-10. We'll see what kind of luck I have.
    Looks like the 81-302 ROM used CP/M 2.2F while the 81-302-C used CP/M
    2.2G. It would be nice to know the differences between the 81-18,
    81-302, 81-302-C and 81-478-A ROMs.

    Hope my WD1002-05/HDO board isn't fried. The Microscience hard drive
    threw a head and left several groves, a trench and a drainage ditch on
    the disk. :-) Talk about a head crash. This was a head "fly". :-)

    Don

    R. Steve Walz wrote:
    > -------------------
    > Check out my pile of them, here:
    >
    > http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/Roms/kaypro/
    >
    > I don't know if it's what you want, but I will gladly accept copies
    > of the code from any ROMs people wish to preserve and post them if
    > I have room or just store them for everyone.
    >
    > -Steve
    > --
    > -Steve Walz rstevew@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
    > Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!
    > http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public

  6. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:02:12 UTC, "Don" wrote:

    > Thanks Steve. I downloaded all of the ROM images from your site. The
    > K-10 boot ROM matched the 81-302 ROM in my system.
    >
    > I did find a list of all Kaypro 10 version on the WC CD-ROM. It looks

    What ist the "WC CD-ROM" ? Translating into german language WC means
    watercloset -)

    --
    Greetings

    Fritz Chwolka
    >collecting old computers just for fun<

    < at www.alterechner.de >

  7. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    In article ,
    fritz_chwolka@web.de (Fritz G. Chwolka) writes:
    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:02:12 UTC, "Don" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Steve. I downloaded all of the ROM images from your site. The
    >> K-10 boot ROM matched the 81-302 ROM in my system.
    >>
    >> I did find a list of all Kaypro 10 version on the WC CD-ROM. It looks
    >>

    > What ist the "WC CD-ROM" ? Translating into german language WC means
    > watercloset -)

    Walnut Creek.....

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: Kaypro ROM's and boot disks

    Despite all prevention efforts, "Don" wrote in
    news:1137680692.599582.309600@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

    > Hope my WD1002-05/HDO board isn't fried. The Microscience hard drive
    > threw a head and left several groves, a trench and a drainage ditch on
    > the disk. :-) Talk about a head crash. This was a head "fly". :-)

    This isn't really related to the thread at hand, but special thanks to Don
    for getting me the resources I needed to get my Kaypro 16 back on its feat.
    Works great now!

    --
    James
    http://www.slornet.com