[P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices - CP/M

This is a discussion on [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices - CP/M ; Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ? In the documentation there are only mentioned IDE Hard Disk Drives and CDROM....

  1. [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ?
    In the documentation there are only mentioned
    IDE Hard Disk Drives and CDROM.

  2. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    Peter Howard schrieb:

    > Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ?
    > In the documentation there are only mentioned
    > IDE Hard Disk Drives and CDROM.

    As long as the ZIP drive conforms to IDE/ATAPI standards, it should be
    only a matter of software.

    AFAIK, noone has developed software to access a ZIP drive yet. If you
    like, do it! :-)

    Tilmann

    --
    http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

  3. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    >> Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ?

    > As long as the ZIP drive conforms to IDE/ATAPI standards,
    > it should be only a matter of software.

    I don't believe the iomega Zip or Jaz conformed,
    thus their need for special drivers.
    I ruined some Jaz cartridges by not using the drivers
    (they're pre-formatted media).
    --

    -- mejeep deMeep ferret!

  4. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    "Jeff Jonas" wrote in message
    > >> Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ?

    > > As long as the ZIP drive conforms to IDE/ATAPI standards,
    > > it should be only a matter of software.

    > I don't believe the iomega Zip or Jaz conformed,
    > thus their need for special drivers.
    > I ruined some Jaz cartridges by not using the drivers
    > (they're pre-formatted media).

    I can't say about Jazz drives, and what you say sounds familiar.

    But I've operated a number of IDE Zip drives by just treating them as removable
    IDE devices.

    Under this Windows ME system, for example, the device characteristics for my
    ZIP 250 states "(Standard disk drive)" and "No driver files are required or
    have been loaded for this device." I've never loaded any IOMEGA software on
    this machine. There may be something in there somewhere from MS, of course.
    When I boot in Safe Mode or directly to DOS the ZIP drive is not accessible.

    I've also operated a Zip 100 via direct access to the IDE controller in a
    program running under MS-DOS. Note that I was not using the MS-DOS drivers,
    hadn't loaded IOMEGA's "guest" package, and the BIOS did not support ZIP
    drives. I can't recall right now if I accessed it as CHS or LBA.

    - Bill

  5. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    "Tilmann Reh"
    > Peter Howard schrieb:
    >
    >> Does P112 and GIDE support an IDE ZIP Drive ?
    >> In the documentation there are only mentioned
    >> IDE Hard Disk Drives and CDROM.

    > As long as the ZIP drive conforms to IDE/ATAPI standards, it should
    > be
    > only a matter of software.
    >
    > AFAIK, noone has developed software to access a ZIP drive yet. If
    > you
    > like, do it! :-)

    I've done it - not too hard, but the ZIP drives I'm using are
    ATAPI-PACKET interface devices and as such, require a completely
    different driver interface than a 'regular' IDE drive. I don't know
    if a non-packet-device ZIP drive was ever available.

    To more directly answer Peter's original post: No, the P112+GIDE
    software as delivered today does not support ZIP drives in the BIOS or
    Boot ROM. If removeable storage is your interest, note that Compact
    Flash-IDE adapters are cheap, easily obtained, and work directly with
    the P112+GIDE adapter.

    Since I DO have a CP/M driver that works with ZIP drives, I'll
    probably adapt it to the P112 one day, but probably not any time soon.

    --
    Terry Gulczynski

  6. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    "Terry Gulczynski" wrote in message
    news:S2JFg.5017$bZ6.2281@tornado.tampabay.rr.com.. .
    > I've done it - not too hard, but the ZIP drives I'm using
    > are ATAPI-PACKET interface devices and as such,
    > require a completely different driver interface than a
    > 'regular' IDE drive. I don't know if a non-packet-device
    > ZIP drive was ever available.

    I remember when I was writing for to interface to ZIPs, Flash drives, and other
    IDE devices, I had to make my code handle the packet interface for one or two
    of the devices. It *may* well have been that the ZIPs were among them.

    - Bill

  7. Re: [P112] and GIDE and IDE Devices

    William J. Leary Jr. wrote:

    > "Terry Gulczynski" wrote in message
    > news:S2JFg.5017$bZ6.2281@tornado.tampabay.rr.com.. .
    > > I've done it - not too hard, but the ZIP drives I'm using
    > > are ATAPI-PACKET interface devices and as such,
    > > require a completely different driver interface than a
    > > 'regular' IDE drive. I don't know if a non-packet-device
    > > ZIP drive was ever available.

    > I remember when I was writing for to interface to ZIPs, Flash drives, and other
    > IDE devices, I had to make my code handle the packet interface for one or two
    > of the devices. It *may* well have been that the ZIPs were among them.
    >
    > - Bill

    Well... if they (amonsgst other things) use the ATAPI commands (i.e.
    encapsulated
    SCSI), all of the controls on how to do it are in the extra stuff I did
    for the GIDE
    testing software available on Gabys site.

    Cheers,
    Shanw

+ Reply to Thread