    Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    Bill H - www.ts1000.us

  2. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    On 2006-01-14 bill@ts1000.us (Bill H) said:

    > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    Nope. That seems like a fairly nutty thing to do -- but if you'd
    like to give it a try, GO for it!

  3. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    Anonymous Guy wrote:
    > On 2006-01-14 bill@ts1000.us (Bill H) said:
    >
    > > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    > Nope. That seems like a fairly nutty thing to do -- but if you'd
    > like to give it a try, GO for it!

    Why nutty? Because it wouldn't work right in CP/M?

    Bill H - www.ts1000.us

  4. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    On 2006-01-15 Bill H. said:

    > Anonymous Guy wrote:
    >
    > > Bill H said:
    > >
    > > > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    > > Nope. That seems like a fairly nutty thing to do -- but
    > > if you'd like to give it a try, GO for it!

    > Why nutty? Because it wouldn't work right in CP/M?

    Hey, ANYTHING'S possible, if you want to spend the time on it.
    But once you had Perl for CP/M-86, what would you -DO- with it?

    It's a serious question.

  5. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    Seems a nutty idea. Somehow I doubt Perl would play well in 64k of
    memory; it expects to have rather a lot of environment, and the first
    hash table would probably blow out 64K all by itself...
    --
    "cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
    http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html

  6. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    Christopher Browne wrote:
    > > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    > Seems a nutty idea. Somehow I doubt Perl would play well in 64k of
    > memory; it expects to have rather a lot of environment, and the first
    > hash table would probably blow out 64K all by itself...
    > --

    I didn't think about the 64k memory limitation. I guess you get spoiled
    with the newer systems and never think about memory limitations.

    Bill H - www.ts1000.us

    > "cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
    > http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html
    > For a good prime call:
    > 391581 * 2^216193 - 1
    > -- smr2@cornell.edu (Szymon Rusinkiewicz)

  7. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    Bill H wrote:
    > Christopher Browne wrote:
    > > > Has anyone ever tried to port Perl over to CP/M 86?

    > > Seems a nutty idea. Somehow I doubt Perl would play well in 64k of
    > > memory; it expects to have rather a lot of environment, and the first
    > > hash table would probably blow out 64K all by itself...
    > > --

    > I didn't think about the 64k memory limitation. I guess you get spoiled
    > with the newer systems and never think about memory limitations.
    >
    > Bill H - www.ts1000.us

    The problem isn't 64k, technically an assembler program could use 640k
    - OS space, or > 600k, although code overlays might also be
    implemented. And the Segment would need to managed internally in the
    implementation.

    The problem is Perl is written in C, and there isn't an industrial
    strength C/C++ for cpm86.

    > > "cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
    > > http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html
    > > For a good prime call:
    > > 391581 * 2^216193 - 1
    > > -- smr2@cornell.edu (Szymon Rusinkiewicz)

  8. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    > The problem is Perl is written in C, and there isn't an industrial
    > strength C/C++ for cpm86.

    Until fairly recently, Perl would build on K&R C compilers (no C++
    involved). Isn't a K&R compiler available for CPM/86?

  9. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    > s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is Perl is written in C, and there isn't an industrial
    >> strength C/C++ for cpm86.

    > Until fairly recently, Perl would build on K&R C compilers (no C++
    > involved). Isn't a K&R compiler available for CPM/86?

    Before spending too much time on this, take a look at the size of the
    Perl executables and the amount of run time memory needed.

    You'll probably need to remove a few features to make it fit in memory.

    craigm

  10. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    > s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is Perl is written in C, and there isn't an industrial
    > > strength C/C++ for cpm86.

    > Until fairly recently, Perl would build on K&R C compilers (no C++
    > involved). Isn't a K&R compiler available for CPM/86?

    Yes, the DRI C from Gaby's site is K&R. There is a .exe version of
    that C around also, I don't recall if it is just a cross compiler for
    ..cmd's or not.

    So, the next question is; do you have the K&R version source to PERL?

    Steve

  11. Re: Perl on CP/M?

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    >> s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> The problem is Perl is written in C, and there isn't an industrial
    >>> strength C/C++ for cpm86.

    >> Until fairly recently, Perl would build on K&R C compilers (no C++
    >> involved). Isn't a K&R compiler available for CPM/86?

    > Yes, the DRI C from Gaby's site is K&R. There is a .exe version of
    > that C around also, I don't recall if it is just a cross compiler for
    > .cmd's or not.
    >
    > So, the next question is; do you have the K&R version source to PERL?

    Until VERY recently, the "base" Perl sources would build out-of-the-box
    on K&R compilers by clever use of preprocessor conditionals.

+ Reply to Thread