RS-232 File system - CP/M

This is a discussion on RS-232 File system - CP/M ; MikeS wrote: > Here's a question: > > Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file > system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal > track/sector or block number requests ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: RS-232 File system

    MikeS wrote:
    > Here's a question:
    >
    > Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    > system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal
    > track/sector or block number requests and the corresponding data (in)/
    > out through a serial port to be handled by a "disk emulator" server at
    > the other end. Granted, it'd be kind of slow, but I'd imagine that in
    > all these years pretty well every idea has been tried by somebody, and
    > there are certainly non-CP/M machines that do something similar.

    Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I believe, did
    exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked via an RS-232
    crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.

    I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for source code,
    but was never able to track him down.

    Steve

  2. Re: RS-232 File system

    That was not uncommon in the 1980's.

    Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > MikeS wrote:
    >> Here's a question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    >> system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal
    >> track/sector or block number requests and the corresponding data (in)/
    >> out through a serial port to be handled by a "disk emulator" server at
    >> the other end. Granted, it'd be kind of slow, but I'd imagine that in
    >> all these years pretty well every idea has been tried by somebody, and
    >> there are certainly non-CP/M machines that do something similar.

    > Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I
    > believe, did exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked
    > via an RS-232 crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.
    >
    > I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for source
    > code, but was never able to track him down.
    >
    > Steve

  3. Re: RS-232 File system

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:25:23 -0500, Steven Hirsch
    wrote:

    >MikeS wrote:
    >> Here's a question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    >> system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal
    >> track/sector or block number requests and the corresponding data (in)/
    >> out through a serial port to be handled by a "disk emulator" server at
    >> the other end. Granted, it'd be kind of slow, but I'd imagine that in
    >> all these years pretty well every idea has been tried by somebody, and
    >> there are certainly non-CP/M machines that do something similar.

    >Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I believe, did
    >exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked via an RS-232
    >crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.
    >
    >I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for source code,
    >but was never able to track him down.

    I have a copy of the archive. No idea if source is in there.

    However from what I've read PMN is not what I intially did. All I
    dis was remote disk, not NFS or anything that complex. The
    idea was simply a system that was disk poor would get to access
    a disk on a system that had one so the transfer was at this BIOS
    level and happend to be over serial media. I've seen it many
    times since and usually as a more complex system.

    It's not to say PMN is a bad idea only something much more extensive
    and sophisticated.

    Allison

    >Steve

  4. Re: RS-232 File system

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:25:23 -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > MikeS wrote:
    >> Here's a question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    >> system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal

    TeleVideo had a system in the late 70s/early 80s that used RS422
    (I *think* that's what they were) ports do that. I don't really think it
    qualifies as what you want though, as this was using a master server type
    system (TS-806 or TS-816) system controlling up to 6 (or 16) TS-802s or
    TS-803s using a seperate (multitasking) o/s that was only CP/M based (I
    think it was Coherent). I recall I could, at boot time, select which hd I
    wanted to access -- the 'home' hd in the '802 or the 'master' on the '806.

    As I recall, it was great fun. I'd log to the master disc from three
    '803s and use one to code, one to compile, and one to run the last compile.
    Multitasking! At the same time, on two of the '802s I ran a dual line BBS
    using modified PICs that had internode chat. So theoretically, three could
    chat -- the sysop, and one user on each of the lines.

    All using CP/M!

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  5. Re: RS-232 File system

    On 2007-11-25, Jim Bianchi wrote:
    > TeleVideo had a system in the late 70s/early 80s that used RS422
    > (I *think* that's what they were) ports do that. I don't really think it
    > qualifies as what you want though, as this was using a master server type
    > system (TS-806 or TS-816) system controlling up to 6 (or 16) TS-802s or
    > TS-803s using a seperate (multitasking) o/s that was only CP/M based (I
    > think it was Coherent).

    MMMOST. Never used it, although I did once use an 806 as a single-user
    CP/M box.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  6. Re: RS-232 File system

    On 25 Nov 2007 05:36:53 GMT, Jim Bianchi wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:25:23 -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    >> MikeS wrote:
    >>> Here's a question:
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    >>> system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal

    > TeleVideo had a system in the late 70s/early 80s that used RS422
    >(I *think* that's what they were) ports do that. I don't really think it
    >qualifies as what you want though, as this was using a master server type
    >system (TS-806 or TS-816) system controlling up to 6 (or 16) TS-802s or
    >TS-803s using a seperate (multitasking) o/s that was only CP/M based (I
    >think it was Coherent). I recall I could, at boot time, select which hd I
    >wanted to access -- the 'home' hd in the '802 or the 'master' on the '806.

    I'd sen that once pertty neat. It was at the early end of networked
    resource sharing systems that were emerging.

    > As I recall, it was great fun. I'd log to the master disc from three
    >'803s and use one to code, one to compile, and one to run the last compile.
    >Multitasking! At the same time, on two of the '802s I ran a dual line BBS
    >using modified PICs that had internode chat. So theoretically, three could
    >chat -- the sysop, and one user on each of the lines.
    >
    > All using CP/M!

    Everything old is new again...

    CP/M always had the I will not tell you how to do it, only what I
    expect it to do. The BIOS is a wonderful thing.

    Allison

  7. Re: RS-232 File system

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I believe, did
    >> exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked via an RS-232
    >> crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.
    >>
    >> I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for source code,
    >> but was never able to track him down.

    > I have a copy of the archive. No idea if source is in there.
    > [...]

    Do you know "Corvus Omninet" ? It was realized with a kind of a
    disk-server, not a file server. But unfortunately it needed special
    transporter cards (aka interface or network cards).
    Would be interesting if somebody got the sources from that.

    Regards
    Peter

  8. Re: RS-232 File system

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:11:37 GMT, Roger Ivie wrote:
    > On 2007-11-25, Jim Bianchi wrote:
    >> TeleVideo had a system in the late 70s/early 80s that used RS422
    >> (I *think* that's what they were) ports do that. I don't really think it
    >> qualifies as what you want though, as this was using a master server type
    >> system (TS-806 or TS-816) system controlling up to 6 (or 16) TS-802s or
    >> TS-803s using a seperate (multitasking) o/s that was only CP/M based (I
    >> think it was Coherent).

    > MMMOST. Never used it, although I did once use an 806 as a single-user
    > CP/M box.

    Nope. Though MMMOST was avail for (and bundled with) the 806, for
    some (geekish) reason, it was disparaged in favor of what I was using on my
    806. I got my 806 used and put an 80meg (!) HD in it along with this op sys.
    Whatever it was called, it was NOT MMMOST.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,
    fsck, umount, make clean, sleep. (Who needs porn when you have /usr/bin?)

  9. Re: RS-232 File system

    wrote:

    >MikeS wrote:
    >> Here's a question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a CP/M implementation that used a remote file
    >> system over an RS-232 port? I.e. it would send more or less normal
    >> track/sector or block number requests and the corresponding data (in)/
    >> out through a serial port to be handled by a "disk emulator" server at
    >> the other end. Granted, it'd be kind of slow, but I'd imagine that in
    >> all these years pretty well every idea has been tried by somebody, and
    >> there are certainly non-CP/M machines that do something similar.

    >Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I believe, did
    >exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked via an RS-232
    >crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.

    Check out "Cheaplan" on Hal Bower's site:

    http://home.att.net/~halbower/#toc

    >I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for source code,
    >but was never able to track him down.
    >
    >Steve

    Allison

  10. Re: RS-232 File system

    Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:
    > no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > >> [...]
    >>> Somewhere I have a package called "The Poorman's Network" that, I
    >>> believe, did exactly what you describe. Two CP/M machines are linked
    >>> via an RS-232 crossover cable and each can use the other's disks.
    >>>
    >>> I made a few half-hearted attempts at contacting the author for
    >>> source code, but was never able to track him down.

    >> I have a copy of the archive. No idea if source is in there. [...]

    > Do you know "Corvus Omninet" ? It was realized with a kind of a
    > disk-server, not a file server. But unfortunately it needed special
    > transporter cards (aka interface or network cards).
    > Would be interesting if somebody got the sources from that.

    I have an enormous amount of hardware, software (and some source code) for
    Omninet. AFAIK, they supported only a small number of CP/M computers. I'm
    aware of a flat-cable (predecessor to Omninet) interface for the DEC VT180
    "Robin" and the Xerox / BigBoard and have two of the latter units.
    Unfortunately, this is something that I do _not_ have software for. Figures.

    Steve

  11. Re: RS-232 File system

    What have you about BigBoard 1 or II?
    Enrico

    "Steven Hirsch" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:Qtidnbv5ecLQHtbanZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Peter Dassow (remove the NOSPAM. for direct answer) wrote:

    >>> I have a copy of the archive. No idea if source is in there. [...]

    >> Do you know "Corvus Omninet" ? It was realized with a kind of a
    >> disk-server, not a file server. But unfortunately it needed special
    >> transporter cards (aka interface or network cards).
    >> Would be interesting if somebody got the sources from that.

    > I have an enormous amount of hardware, software (and some source code) for
    > Omninet. AFAIK, they supported only a small number of CP/M computers.
    > I'm aware of a flat-cable (predecessor to Omninet) interface for the DEC
    > VT180 "Robin" and the Xerox / BigBoard and have two of the latter units.
    > Unfortunately, this is something that I do _not_ have software for.
    > Figures.
    >
    > Steve

  12. Re: RS-232 File system

    Enrico Lazzerini wrote:
    > What have you about BigBoard 1 or II?
    > Enrico

    Sorry, I do not understand what you are asking.

  13. Re: RS-232 File system

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:46:15 -0500, Steven Hirsch
    wrote:

    >Enrico Lazzerini wrote:
    >> What have you about BigBoard 1 or II?
    >> Enrico

    >Sorry, I do not understand what you are asking.

    Me neither. I have about three BB II's, maybe 4.

    Bill

  14. Re: RS-232 File system

    Enrico Lazzerini wrote:

    > What have you about BigBoard 1 or II?

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  15. Re: RS-232 File system

    I'm in the process to make alive my old bigboard1.
    Please let me know if you wish to sell one or more of your board bigboard2.
    Have you all chips ? May you describe the conditions of your boards?
    Regards
    Enrico - Italy

    "Bill" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:46:15 -0500, Steven Hirsch
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Enrico Lazzerini wrote:
    >>> What have you about BigBoard 1 or II?
    >>> Enrico

    >>Sorry, I do not understand what you are asking.

    > Me neither. I have about three BB II's, maybe 4.
    >
    > Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2