S100 Floppy Controller Question - CP/M

This is a discussion on S100 Floppy Controller Question - CP/M ; All: Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. S100 Floppy Controller Question

    All:

    Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on
    some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my
    IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    of the drives is flakey.

    Hereıs what I really want ‹ a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).

    Hereıs what I have ‹ plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.

    Hereıs what I donıt have ‹ a working disk image for either of the above.
    Dave Dunfield has a disk image for a Disk 1A but itıs from an 8² original.
    Also, the ComprPro controller seems to require modifying the IMSAI front
    panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    really donıt want to modify the front panel. I browsed the Versafloppy
    manual quickly and it doesnıt seem to require modifications to the host
    machine.

    Given this, does anyone have a Versafloppy image I can use? In lieu of
    that, I would take a working 8" CP/M 2.2 disk for the Frugal Floppy system.

    Thanks again for any help.

    Rich
    http://www.altair32.com
    http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp

  2. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    Following up, I just found a Morrow DiskJockey 2D/B in one of my boxes. This
    model only has a 50-pin connector and the manual talks about the SA800, so
    I'm assuming it's an 8"-only controller.

    On 11/10/07 9:48 PM, in article C35BD796.105BC%rcini@optonline.net, "Richard
    A. Cini" wrote:

    > All:
    >
    > Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on
    > some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my
    > IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    > of the drives is flakey.
    >
    > Hereıs what I really want ‹ a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    > (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >
    > Hereıs what I have ‹ plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    > CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    > Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.
    >
    > Hereıs what I donıt have ‹ a working disk image for either of the above.
    > Dave Dunfield has a disk image for a Disk 1A but itıs from an 8² original.
    > Also, the ComprPro controller seems to require modifying the IMSAI front
    > panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    > really donıt want to modify the front panel. I browsed the Versafloppy
    > manual quickly and it doesnıt seem to require modifications to the host
    > machine.
    >
    > Given this, does anyone have a Versafloppy image I can use? In lieu of
    > that, I would take a working 8" CP/M 2.2 disk for the Frugal Floppy system.
    >
    > Thanks again for any help.
    >
    > Rich
    > --
    > http://www.altair32.com
    > http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp

  3. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    Richard A. Cini wrote:
    > Following up, I just found a Morrow DiskJockey 2D/B in one of my boxes. This
    > model only has a 50-pin connector and the manual talks about the SA800, so
    > I'm assuming it's an 8"-only controller.
    >

    > On 11/10/07 9:48 PM, in article C35BD796.105BC%rcini@optonline.net, "Richard
    > A. Cini" wrote:
    >
    >> All:
    >>
    >> Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on
    >> some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my
    >> IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    >> of the drives is flakey.
    >>
    >> Hereıs what I really want ‹ a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    >> (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >>
    >> Hereıs what I have ‹ plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    >> CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    >> Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.
    >>
    >> Hereıs what I donıt have ‹ a working disk image for either of the above.
    >> Dave Dunfield has a disk image for a Disk 1A but itıs from an 8² original.
    >> Also, the ComprPro controller seems to require modifying the IMSAI front
    >> panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    >> really donıt want to modify the front panel. I browsed the Versafloppy
    >> manual quickly and it doesnıt seem to require modifications to the host
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> Given this, does anyone have a Versafloppy image I can use? In lieu of
    >> that, I would take a working 8" CP/M 2.2 disk for the Frugal Floppy system.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for any help.
    >>
    >> Rich
    >> --
    >> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
    >> http://www.altair32.com
    >> http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp

    Wow, I just stopped in to browse old folks news and I see something like
    this. Unfortunately, I haven't had a _P/M system up for a few years.
    Maybe between turkey day and the end of the year I'll try to dig out one
    of the fun systems from storage and hope no caps provide smoke and/or
    light shows when powered up after the long hibernation ;-)

    But as far as I can remember, the simplist thing to do is to make a
    cable that just swaps the data and control lines around to match the 8"
    signals to the floppies. Something is nagging me in the back of my mind
    that there is just one line that can cause problems with some 5 1/4"
    drives. I can't get the cobwebs quite cleared at the moment, it's been
    a "few" years... I do know that I used to use lots of the frankencables
    with mixed size drives ;-) It does help to have 5 1/4" drives that can
    handle 80 tracks per side if you want to just use existing 8" table
    information. CP/M 2 and later tables sure made it much easier to use
    alternate and mixed 'disk' size/formats & configurations.

  4. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Nov 10, 9:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:

    > panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    > really donıt want to modify the front panel. I

    First step is to modify your front panel to bring it into line with
    S100 Spec and thus the majority of S100 cards out there.

    You're looking for an easy way out and unless someone out there has an
    identical system to yours, there likely isn't one. You might have to
    do what I did and that is create your own CP/M CBIOS to match your
    exact hardware.

    ~ J

  5. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    I have a 1.2mb floppy drive at the ready for this. I'm sort of starting from
    scratch with this floppy system so I'm missing some critical pieces -- like
    a working system master disk.

    The SD Sales controller I have supports an SA400 dive, so that's my
    preference at this point. No mods appear to be necessary.

    The CompuPro board also supports the SA400, but I only have a disk image
    from an 8" system. So, I was going to connect a 1.2mb drive to the 8"
    connector. But, the CompuPro requires mods to the IMSAI front panel which I
    really don't want to do.

    The Morrow board also only supports 8" drives, but no mods to the system are
    required. I could probably connect the 1.2mb drive to this controller as
    well, providing I had a disk image to work with.

    If I could find a Versafloppy or Morrow disk image, that'd be ideal.

    Thanks again.
    Rich

    On 11/11/07 10:15 AM, in article
    473710cb$0$26408$88260bb3@free.teranews.com, "Greg"
    wrote:

    > Richard A. Cini wrote:
    >> Following up, I just found a Morrow DiskJockey 2D/B in one of my boxes. This
    >> model only has a 50-pin connector and the manual talks about the SA800, so
    >> I'm assuming it's an 8"-only controller.
    >>

    >> On 11/10/07 9:48 PM, in article C35BD796.105BC%rcini@optonline.net, "Richard
    >> A. Cini" wrote:
    >>
    >>> All:
    >>>
    >>> Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, IÂım picking up on
    >>> some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my
    >>> IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    >>> of the drives is flakey.
    >>>
    >>> HereÂıs what I really want â€ı a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    >>> (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >>>
    >>> HereÂıs what I have â€ı plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    >>> CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    >>> Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.
    >>>
    >>> HereÂıs what I donÂıt have â€ı a working disk image for either of the above.
    >>> Dave Dunfield has a disk image for a Disk 1A but itÂıs from an 8² original.
    >>> Also, the ComprPro controller seems to require modifying the IMSAI front
    >>> panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    >>> really donÂıt want to modify the front panel. I browsed the Versafloppy
    >>> manual quickly and it doesnÂıt seem to require modifications to the host
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> Given this, does anyone have a Versafloppy image I can use? In lieu of
    >>> that, I would take a working 8" CP/M 2.2 disk for the Frugal Floppy system.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Rich
    >>> --
    >>> Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
    >>> http://www.altair32.com
    >>> http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp
    >>>

    > Wow, I just stopped in to browse old folks news and I see something like
    > this. Unfortunately, I haven't had a _P/M system up for a few years.
    > Maybe between turkey day and the end of the year I'll try to dig out one
    > of the fun systems from storage and hope no caps provide smoke and/or
    > light shows when powered up after the long hibernation ;-)
    >
    > But as far as I can remember, the simplist thing to do is to make a
    > cable that just swaps the data and control lines around to match the 8"
    > signals to the floppies. Something is nagging me in the back of my mind
    > that there is just one line that can cause problems with some 5 1/4"
    > drives. I can't get the cobwebs quite cleared at the moment, it's been
    > a "few" years... I do know that I used to use lots of the frankencables
    > with mixed size drives ;-) It does help to have 5 1/4" drives that can
    > handle 80 tracks per side if you want to just use existing 8" table
    > information. CP/M 2 and later tables sure made it much easier to use
    > alternate and mixed 'disk' size/formats & configurations.

  6. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    I don't mind modifying the CBIOS, but I need a disk for the system to modify
    off of. I don't have a system disk -- even misconfigured -- for any of the
    three cards I have. The one that's closest is a disk image for a CompuPro
    Disk 1A (but I have a Disk 1), so I don't know if that's going to work
    either.

    I just found a note on Herb's site about putting tape over pins 20 and 70
    and reinserting the front panel card. This way the grounded pin 20 on the
    CompuPro card won't disable the front panel card. I guess I could tape pin
    20 on the CompuPro card, too, just to that I don't have to pull the front
    panel.

    On 11/11/07 10:22 AM, in article
    1194794532.065034.42610@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.co m, "MdntTrain"
    wrote:

    > On Nov 10, 9:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    >
    >> panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    >> really donıt want to modify the front panel. I

    > First step is to modify your front panel to bring it into line with
    > S100 Spec and thus the majority of S100 cards out there.
    >
    > You're looking for an easy way out and unless someone out there has an
    > identical system to yours, there likely isn't one. You might have to
    > do what I did and that is create your own CP/M CBIOS to match your
    > exact hardware.
    >
    > ~ J

  7. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:45:07 -0500, "Richard A. Cini"
    wrote:

    >I don't mind modifying the CBIOS, but I need a disk for the system to modify
    >off of. I don't have a system disk -- even misconfigured -- for any of the
    >three cards I have. The one that's closest is a disk image for a CompuPro
    >Disk 1A (but I have a Disk 1), so I don't know if that's going to work
    >either.

    Finding the boot for a Cpro1A is minor issue. Second issue sis
    creating a bootable disk.

    >I just found a note on Herb's site about putting tape over pins 20 and 70
    >and reinserting the front panel card. This way the grounded pin 20 on the
    >CompuPro card won't disable the front panel card. I guess I could tape pin
    >20 on the CompuPro card, too, just to that I don't have to pull the front
    >panel.

    The grounded pins refered to are memory protect/unprotect and useless
    and may even interfere with some Z80 cards!

    The Cpro cards uses 70 and 20 for ground ONLY. You can lift them.

    Of all the cards the Cpro1A is the most desireable. it's does 8,
    5.25 and also 3.5". It uses DMA to make the data transfers
    so CPU speed is not an issue. It does ALL data rates and
    all FDC formats the 765 implements. For the most part
    PCs being same chip can create a disk.

    The Boot for the Cpro 1A is simple.

    Set a boot address in the DMA address register (any place in a 20bit
    address range).

    Clear the 765, issue board level command for motor and data rates.

    Issue the FDC specify command.

    Seek to sector 000 (issue recalibrate twice for safety)

    Issue a FDC Read multisector (sector 1 to nn)

    Jump to load address of the freshly loaded code.

    Use a SIM platform on PC to create a bios from available CPro
    listings on line. Write the image to floppy according to the system
    tracks as bios is set up for.

    Initial bios can he hand loaded from the front pannel or if you
    have a rombased monitor (must not interfere with CPM map)
    you can use that. A boot for 765 should not be large.

    the Boots on the CPro board are small and may work for multiple disk
    sizes.

    boot 3 on the Compupro is for suitable for any 8080/8085/z80 with
    5.25" disk. Read the manual as Cpro 1A board 203D can boot:

    8080/8085/z80 , 8086/286, 68000, 32016 cpus and...

    8" only, 8"&5.25" mixed and 5.25"

    Allison

    >On 11/11/07 10:22 AM, in article
    >1194794532.065034.42610@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.co m, "MdntTrain"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 10, 9:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    >>
    >>> panel to disable it (by removing the ground connection on pin 20 IIRC). I
    >>> really donıt want to modify the front panel. I

    >> First step is to modify your front panel to bring it into line with
    >> S100 Spec and thus the majority of S100 cards out there.
    >>
    >> You're looking for an easy way out and unless someone out there has an
    >> identical system to yours, there likely isn't one. You might have to
    >> do what I did and that is create your own CP/M CBIOS to match your
    >> exact hardware.
    >>
    >> ~ J

  8. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    Greg wrote:

    (snip)

    > But as far as I can remember, the simplist thing to do is to make a
    > cable that just swaps the data and control lines around to match the 8"
    > signals to the floppies. Something is nagging me in the back of my mind
    > that there is just one line that can cause problems with some 5 1/4"
    > drives. I can't get the cobwebs quite cleared at the moment, it's been
    > a "few" years... I do know that I used to use lots of the frankencables
    > with mixed size drives ;-) It does help to have 5 1/4" drives that can
    > handle 80 tracks per side if you want to just use existing 8" table
    > information. CP/M 2 and later tables sure made it much easier to use
    > alternate and mixed 'disk' size/formats & configurations.

    There are two 5.25in lines that I know of that can cause problems.

    Pin 34 is either disk change or ready. One some drives it is
    jumper selectable.

    Pin 2 is write current select. For 8 inch this is used to reduce
    write current for the inner tracks. For 5.25HD it is used to
    select DD write current. That is, the names are similar but
    the functions are different.

    -- glen

  9. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:58:50 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >Greg wrote:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >> But as far as I can remember, the simplist thing to do is to make a
    >> cable that just swaps the data and control lines around to match the 8"
    >> signals to the floppies. Something is nagging me in the back of my mind
    >> that there is just one line that can cause problems with some 5 1/4"
    >> drives. I can't get the cobwebs quite cleared at the moment, it's been
    >> a "few" years... I do know that I used to use lots of the frankencables
    >> with mixed size drives ;-) It does help to have 5 1/4" drives that can
    >> handle 80 tracks per side if you want to just use existing 8" table
    >> information. CP/M 2 and later tables sure made it much easier to use
    >> alternate and mixed 'disk' size/formats & configurations.

    >There are two 5.25in lines that I know of that can cause problems.
    >
    >Pin 34 is either disk change or ready. One some drives it is
    >jumper selectable.

    On most 5.25" drives of SA400 time from pin 34 was NC.
    For some that pins signals that the media is two sided.

    >Pin 2 is write current select. For 8 inch this is used to reduce
    >write current for the inner tracks. For 5.25HD it is used to
    >select DD write current. That is, the names are similar but
    >the functions are different.

    None of the controllers mentioned are really suited for 5.25" HD
    (note the compupro disk1A can do it, you supply the software).

    So if you either no connect those lines or lock them is the needed
    null state, it's not an issue.

    Allison

    >-- glen

  10. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Nov 11, 11:45 am, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    > I don't mind modifying the CBIOS, but I need a disk for the system to modify
    > off of. I don't have a system disk -- even misconfigured -- for any of the
    > three cards I have. The one that's closest is a disk image for a CompuPro
    > Disk 1A (but I have a Disk 1), so I don't know if that's going to work
    > either.

    No difference between Disk1 and Disk1A as far as software (for like
    hardware).

    If, for instance, a Disk1A, all you really need is the core CompuPro
    CBIOS source code on a Win PC along with a DOS Z80/CPM emulator... I
    got my IMSAI going and boot off either floppy or hard drive that way
    without any system disks at all .. by first making a monitor into
    eprom, then a CBIOS assembled on the PC, and sending properly
    relocated hex files of CP/M and the CBIOS into IMSAI ram via the
    console connection (using an Intel Hex file transfer routine in the
    monitor), then using another monitor routine to copy them from ram
    onto boot track. Monitor routine also carries complement routine to
    read them from boot track back into ram and execute. This way, the
    whole silly disk controller + sector 1 bootstraps are avoided.

    Btw, the CompuPro code is horribly bloated due to support for a
    variety of boards. If you optimize the code for your real card set,
    it gets very short, sweet, and fast. Be prepared for a lot of work,
    though.

    ~ J

    ~ J

    > I just found a note on Herb's site about putting tape over pins 20 and 70
    > and reinserting the front panel card. This way the grounded pin 20 on the
    > CompuPro card won't disable the front panel card. I guess I could tape pin
    > 20 on the CompuPro card, too, just to that I don't have to pull the front
    > panel.
    >
    > On 11/11/07 10:22 AM, in article

  11. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Nov 10, 5:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, IÂım pickingup on
    > some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system formy
    > IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    > of the drives is flakey.
    >
    > HereÂıs what I really want â€ı a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    > (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >
    > HereÂıs what I have â€ı plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    > CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    > Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives willwork.

    The TM100 uses disks with a formatted capacity of ~71k. I would say
    "hardly worth it", but I've been working on my setup all weekend
    long. : ) A diskless S-100 system is not as much fun! : (

  12. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:40:27 -0000, Grant Stockly
    wrote:

    >On Nov 10, 5:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    >> All:
    >>
    >> Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on
    >> some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for my
    >> IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and one
    >> of the drives is flakey.
    >>
    >> Hereıs what I really want ‹ a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    >> (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >>
    >> Hereıs what I have ‹ plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    >> CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    >> Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.

    >The TM100 uses disks with a formatted capacity of ~71k. I would say
    >"hardly worth it", but I've been working on my setup all weekend
    >long. : ) A diskless S-100 system is not as much fun! : (

    71k is barely enough but it can make it possible to bootstrap to
    larger disks.

    My first CP/M system was 82K, NS* MDS. With three drives you could
    get work done though.

    HOWEVER... CP/M in actual use starts to feel better when disks are in
    the 360k or 500K or larger bracket. You spend less time fighting the
    space issues. A disk is big enough when the assembler, DDT, PIP,
    STAT, VEDIT and BDOS.ASM can be placed on it and then
    ASM BDOS.AAA issued and the whole results fits on the disk with space
    to spare. It's a hint to how big is big enough. I found that a DMA
    based controller like the CPRO Disk1A was nice as it allowed me to
    do 1.44mb 3.5" without the problem of CPU speed issues.

    These days a old IDE disk or CF (or MMC or other media) blow the
    whole floppy mess out of the water for simplicity and near unlimited
    space. It's quieter too!

    Allison

  13. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > Grant Stockly wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> The TM100 uses disks with a formatted capacity of ~71k. I would
    >> say "hardly worth it", but I've been working on my setup all
    >> weekend long. : ) A diskless S-100 system is not as much fun!

    > 71k is barely enough but it can make it possible to bootstrap to
    > larger disks.
    >
    > My first CP/M system was 82K, NS* MDS. With three drives you
    > could get work done though.

    The use of .lbr files, together with LRUN or CCPXTEND.SYS
    (basically the same thing) allow much more to be placed on small
    disks. The whole system is integrated into DOSPLUS 2.5, available
    in source and binary at:

    Try the download section.

  14. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    "Grant Stockly" wrote in message
    news:1194914427.452966.311250@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    On Nov 10, 5:48 pm, "Richard A. Cini" wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > Now that the weather in the Northeast is cold again, Iım picking up on
    > some old projects, among which is a replacement working floppy system for

    my
    > IMSAI. I have an iCOM Frugal Floppy dual 8" system but only CP/M 1.4 and

    one
    > of the drives is flakey.
    >
    > Hereıs what I really want < a 5.25² dual-disk system running CP/M 2.2
    > (my IMSAI has a Z80 board in it).
    >
    > Hereıs what I have < plenty of 5.25² TM100 and equivalent drives,
    > CompuPro Disk 1 and SD Sales Versafloppy (not II) controllers. The
    > Versafloppy specifies SA400/450, but I think other 5.25² drives will work.

    The TM100 uses disks with a formatted capacity of ~71k. I would say
    "hardly worth it", but I've been working on my setup all weekend
    long. : ) A diskless S-100 system is not as much fun! : (

    If you have a spare serial port you could try CP/NOS. The client side code
    is only 4KB which you
    would need to upload using a hex or binary loader.

    For the server you could use one of the MP/M simulators such as z80pack or
    SIMH. Both have CP/NET support.
    I have also used Hector Peraza's CP/NET Unix server with good results.

    The simulators could be used to build the client code as well. All you need
    to add in most cases is the UART's I/O
    ports and the TX and RX status masks.

    Using a serial port might be a bit slow depending on the baud rate but it
    does allow you to get cp/m up and running quickly.
    Then you have access to cp/m based editors, assemblers and debuggers to test
    your disk access routines.

    Hector's CP/NET Unix server can be found at: http://p112.sourceforge.net/
    SIMH can be found at: http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html
    z80pack can be found at: http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    CP/NOS is part of CP/NET and comes with all of the above servers.

  15. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    Max Scane wrote:

    (snip)

    > If you have a spare serial port you could try CP/NOS. The client side code
    > is only 4KB which you would need to upload using a hex or binary loader.

    I was recently wondering if an NFS client had ever been done for CP/M.

    CP/NET run over UDP would seem a starting point for a network
    based CP/M system. It could then be modified from there to use
    NFS protocols instead. Next, a diskless NFS based netboot system.

    -- glen

  16. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:14:48 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >Max Scane wrote:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >> If you have a spare serial port you could try CP/NOS. The client side code
    >> is only 4KB which you would need to upload using a hex or binary loader.

    >I was recently wondering if an NFS client had ever been done for CP/M.
    >
    >CP/NET run over UDP would seem a starting point for a network
    >based CP/M system. It could then be modified from there to use
    >NFS protocols instead. Next, a diskless NFS based netboot system.

    There is the old KA9Q phil Karn package:

    >Quoted:

    05 Nov 94:
    There seems to be a sudden interest in this stuff, following a
    casual mention on the BSD/386 mailing list... OK: I can't remember
    from where I got this stuff, OK? No warranty, no return, etc...
    There seems to be two separate versions, and I guess I should not
    have deleted the identical files mentioned above (but they can be
    easily reconstructed anyway); the files with the same names that
    remain have significant differences, and I lost interest at that
    point, since my CP/M box doesn't have a hard disk, so I couldn't
    even start to compile them... Be aware that even Phil the Great
    (KA9Q - currently karn@qualcomm.com) has just about disowned this
    code, so you're on your own... Share and enjoy!
    >end Quote:

    There is also another package on the net as well. I've forgotten teh
    name of it.

    Allison
    >-- glen

  17. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:14:48 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Max Scane wrote:
    >>
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> If you have a spare serial port you could try CP/NOS. The client side code
    >>> is only 4KB which you would need to upload using a hex or binary loader.

    >> I was recently wondering if an NFS client had ever been done for CP/M.
    >>
    >> CP/NET run over UDP would seem a starting point for a network
    >> based CP/M system. It could then be modified from there to use
    >> NFS protocols instead. Next, a diskless NFS based netboot system.

    > There is the old KA9Q phil Karn package:
    >
    >> Quoted:

    > 05 Nov 94:
    > There seems to be a sudden interest in this stuff, following a
    > casual mention on the BSD/386 mailing list... OK: I can't remember
    > from where I got this stuff, OK? No warranty, no return, etc...
    > There seems to be two separate versions, and I guess I should not
    > have deleted the identical files mentioned above (but they can be
    > easily reconstructed anyway); the files with the same names that
    > remain have significant differences, and I lost interest at that
    > point, since my CP/M box doesn't have a hard disk, so I couldn't
    > even start to compile them... Be aware that even Phil the Great
    > (KA9Q - currently karn@qualcomm.com) has just about disowned this
    > code, so you're on your own... Share and enjoy!
    >> end Quote:

    > There is also another package on the net as well. I've forgotten teh
    > name of it.
    >
    > Allison
    >> -- glen

    Hi all,

    there is a rumour, that Phil Karn had sometimes a CP/M (aka Z80)
    version of his famous KA9Q package, but I could never find it on the
    net! Any hints?

    Greetings,

    Uwe.

  18. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Nov 14, 10:09 am, Uwe Nass wrote:
    > no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:14:48 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    > > wrote:

    > >> Max Scane wrote:

    > >> (snip)

    > >> I was recently wondering if an NFS client had ever been done for CP/M.

    > >> CP/NET run over UDP would seem a starting point for a network
    > >> based CP/M system. It could then be modified from there to use
    > >> NFS protocols instead. Next, a diskless NFS based netboot system.

    > > There is the old KA9Q phil Karn package:

    > >> Quoted:

    > > 05 Nov 94:
    > > There seems to be a sudden interest in this stuff, following a
    > > casual mention on the BSD/386 mailing list... OK: I can't remember
    > > from where I got this stuff, OK? No warranty, no return, etc...
    > > There seems to be two separate versions, and I guess I should not
    > > have deleted the identical files mentioned above (but they can be
    > > easily reconstructed anyway); the files with the same names that
    > > remain have significant differences, and I lost interest at that
    > > point, since my CP/M box doesn't have a hard disk, so I couldn't
    > > even start to compile them... Be aware that even Phil the Great
    > > (KA9Q - currently k...@qualcomm.com) has just about disowned this
    > > code, so you're on your own... Share and enjoy!
    > >> end Quote:

    > > There is also another package on the net as well. I've forgotten teh
    > > name of it.

    > > Allison
    > >> -- glen

    > Hi all,
    >
    > there is a rumour, that Phil Karn had sometimes a CP/M (aka Z80)
    > version of his famous KA9Q package, but I could never find it on the
    > net! Any hints?
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Uwe.- Hide quoted text -

    http://www.s100-manuals.com/download.htm

    I think this is it but am not 100% sure. If it is, it could probably
    use a mirror of the website as it is fairly unusual.

    Best of luck!

    Andrew Lynch

  19. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:03:58 -0800, lynchaj@yahoo.com wrote:

    >On Nov 14, 10:09 am, Uwe Nass wrote:
    >> no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    >> > There is the old KA9Q phil Karn package:

    >> > 05 Nov 94:
    >> > There seems to be a sudden interest in this stuff, following a
    >> > casual mention on the BSD/386 mailing list... OK: I can't remember
    >> > from where I got this stuff, OK? No warranty, no return, etc...
    >> > There seems to be two separate versions, and I guess I should not
    >> > have deleted the identical files mentioned above (but they can be
    >> > easily reconstructed anyway); the files with the same names that
    >> > remain have significant differences, and I lost interest at that
    >> > point, since my CP/M box doesn't have a hard disk, so I couldn't
    >> > even start to compile them... Be aware that even Phil the Great
    >> > (KA9Q - currently k...@qualcomm.com) has just about disowned this
    >> > code, so you're on your own... Share and enjoy!

    >> > There is also another package on the net as well. I've forgotten teh
    >> > name of it.

    >> > Allison

    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> there is a rumour, that Phil Karn had sometimes a CP/M (aka Z80)
    >> version of his famous KA9Q package, but I could never find it on the
    >> net! Any hints?
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Uwe.- Hide quoted text -

    >http://www.s100-manuals.com/download.htm
    >
    >I think this is it but am not 100% sure. If it is, it could probably
    >use a mirror of the website as it is fairly unusual.

    Thats it..

    There also another package on the net as well

    http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page

    It's called uIP.

    Allison

    >Best of luck!
    >
    >Andrew Lynch

  20. Re: S100 Floppy Controller Question

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:03:58 -0800, lynchaj@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> there is a rumour, that Phil Karn had sometimes a CP/M (aka Z80)
    >>> version of his famous KA9Q package, but I could never find it on the
    >>> net! Any hints?
    >>>
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> Uwe.- Hide quoted text -

    >> http://www.s100-manuals.com/download.htm
    >>
    >> I think this is it but am not 100% sure. If it is, it could probably
    >> use a mirror of the website as it is fairly unusual.

    > Thats it..
    >
    > There also another package on the net as well
    >
    > http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/index.php/Main_Page
    >
    > It's called uIP.
    >

    > Allison
    >

    >> Best of luck!
    >>
    >> Andrew Lynch

    If you need a complete IP stack, you could always try mine... but I'd
    need the information on your serial port.

    Take a peek, at http://tcp.dr.ea.ms/

    It has an ftp client. As far as NFS, that would be difficult, but not
    impossible. Trouble is there isn't really enough ram to do something
    like that as far as a regular NFS, but something simpler could be written.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast