Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst - CP/M ; >Message-ID: Jim Higgins wrote: > IMHO, French Luser should be able to publish his documents here in > c.o.c and anyone not wanting to read them doesn't have to download the > body. An occasional additional header won't kill anyone ...

  1. Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst

    Jim Higgins wrote:
    > IMHO, French Luser should be able to publish his documents here in
    > c.o.c and anyone not wanting to read them doesn't have to download the
    > body. An occasional additional header won't kill anyone and the
    > volume of material certainly isn't going to jeopardize retention time
    > on anyone's news server.

    Unfortunately, there are still people like me who receive coc via
    email gateway, and I get *everything*, and can only chose what not
    to read once it has all been pulled over my phone line.

    --
    J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
    BBC BASIC for Windows and Internationalisation

  2. Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst

    Jonathan Graham Harston schrieb:

    > Unfortunately, there are still people like me who receive coc via
    > email gateway, ...

    Is there any need for doing it that (odd) way?
    Which, BTW, completely messes up the thread due to missing references...

    Tilmann

    --
    http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

  3. Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst

    *Tilmann Reh* wrote on Tue, 06-08-01 18:42:
    >Is there any need for doing it that (odd) way? Which, BTW, completely
    >messes up the thread due to missing references...

    a) References are not lost, if done right - mine aren't.

    b) Getting just a few dozen mails or news articles the "modern" way
    takes ages on even the fastest connections due to the overhead of
    requesting and acknowldging each one individually as the protocol does.
    (You may not notice while reading online, but what if you have to dial
    in and pay by the minute?)

    For Usenet access I go through our good old German MausNet and receive
    all new messages in all groups I subscribe to in one single packed
    file. Even on an expensive (40 cents/minute) and slow (9600 bps) CDS
    connection via GSM (not at home of course, but still 14k4 modem over
    dialup) this is quite manageable for my ca. 400 messages per day.

    I have all the mod coms with DSL and all the trimmings, but for Usenet
    the old way still is technically superior. And that's apart from the
    fact that the most widely used 'state of the art' reader *really* loses
    references and does not even know what they are.

  4. Re: RFD: Remove comp.os.cpm.amethyst

    In article <44cf8472$0$18518$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    Tilmann Reh wrote:

    > Jonathan Graham Harston schrieb:
    >
    > > Unfortunately, there are still people like me who receive coc via
    > > email gateway, ...

    > Is there any need for doing it that (odd) way?
    > Which, BTW, completely messes up the thread due to missing references...
    >
    > Tilmann

    yes i noticed that as well.. totally confusing, looks like he was
    talking to himself....

+ Reply to Thread