WTB - IMSAI chassis - CP/M

This is a discussion on WTB - IMSAI chassis - CP/M ; I'm looking for an S100 chassis in which to mount my WAMECO system; the ideal candidate would be a stripped IMSAI chassis. I have power supply, mother board and component cards but I'm looking for a chassis with a front ...

  1. WTB - IMSAI chassis

    I'm looking for an S100 chassis in which to mount my WAMECO system;
    the ideal candidate would be a stripped IMSAI chassis.

    I have power supply, mother board and component cards but I'm looking
    for a chassis with a front bulkhead for attaching the WAMECO front
    panel. The WAMECO components are drop-in replacements for the IMSAI
    bits. The distinguishing characteristic of the chassis is that the
    motherboard actually extends thorough the front bulkhead to receive
    the front panel. Slot one is offset by an extra 1/4" to accommodate
    the front panel.

    In addition to IMSAI, boxes of this type were manufactured by TEI and
    Integrand and maybe a few others.

    I don't need the top or any electronics - just a bare chassis with
    card guides.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jack

  2. Re: WTB - IMSAI chassis

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:05:42 -0700, JackRubin
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for an S100 chassis in which to mount my WAMECO system;
    >the ideal candidate would be a stripped IMSAI chassis.
    >
    >I have power supply, mother board and component cards but I'm looking
    >for a chassis with a front bulkhead for attaching the WAMECO front
    >panel. The WAMECO components are drop-in replacements for the IMSAI
    >bits. The distinguishing characteristic of the chassis is that the
    >motherboard actually extends thorough the front bulkhead to receive
    >the front panel. Slot one is offset by an extra 1/4" to accommodate
    >the front panel.
    >
    >In addition to IMSAI, boxes of this type were manufactured by TEI and
    >Integrand and maybe a few others.

    Most any of the S100 chassis with enough length for the backplane will
    accomodate that. I put one in the first Altair I had to replace the
    peicemeal four slot at a time backplane of the early Altair.

    I also have an oddball box that has one in it. I happen to like the
    Wameco Quiet Mother (terminated version) and it's why I keep that
    noname box.

    I forget which it was either TEI or Integrand had a box that had a
    nice CVC power supply and superior cooling though well executed
    airflow.

    >I don't need the top or any electronics - just a bare chassis with
    >card guides.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Should be possible to find any S100 partial crates for that.

    If all else fails... A S100 crate can be fabricated using .100
    aluminum sheet and angle stock and some spacers to form
    the front back and sides. The idea is NO BENDING of metal.
    The rest is a whole lot of drilled holes of various sorts. I did it
    once to make a very nice compact four slot machine with
    smaller power supply, two 3.5" drives and one IDE 3.5" drive.
    The biggest part for me was executing good straight cuts.
    I found a table saw using a fine pitch carbide plywood blade,
    wax for cooling, and eye protection for chips was the way to go.
    Large holes were done with a hole saw (fan). Small repeted holes
    like those needed for card guides were marked off and center
    punched and drilled with drill press with an edge guide. A matching
    wood outer top (three sides) case was made using the same
    scheme as North*star Horizon.

    Note if possible make airflow such that it flows directly across the
    boards and then through the powersupply area then out. For a IMSAI
    style case that means airflow from side to side rather than out/in the
    back and making a right angle bend.

    Allison

  3. Re: WTB - IMSAI chassis

    On Oct 27, 8:37 am, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:05:42 -0700, JackRubin
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I'm looking for an S100 chassis in which to mount my WAMECO system;
    > >the ideal candidate would be a stripped IMSAI chassis.

    > Most any of the S100 chassis with enough length for the backplane will
    > accomodate that. I put one in the first Altair I had to replace the
    > peicemeal four slot at a time backplane of the early Altair.

    Thanks for your suggestions, but the issue isn't accomodating the
    length of the motherboard - I have both 9 and 12 slot versions - but
    finding a box with the bulkhead to support the front panel. The WAMECO
    FPB-1 is designed to mount in the same mechanical way as the IMSAI
    board - it is 16 1/8" long and has four pairs of holes spaced to
    support a plexiglass overlay and then attach through the front panel
    via stand-offs to the metal support behind it.

    Jack

  4. Re: WTB - IMSAI chassis

    Virtually every S-100 case .... for example Compupro, TEI, etc. .... was
    designed to accommodate the mounting holes for an IMSAI front panel.

    JackRubin wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 8:37 am, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:05:42 -0700, JackRubin
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for an S100 chassis in which to mount my WAMECO system;
    >>> the ideal candidate would be a stripped IMSAI chassis.

    >> Most any of the S100 chassis with enough length for the backplane will
    >> accomodate that. I put one in the first Altair I had to replace the
    >> peicemeal four slot at a time backplane of the early Altair.
    >>

    > Thanks for your suggestions, but the issue isn't accomodating the
    > length of the motherboard - I have both 9 and 12 slot versions - but
    > finding a box with the bulkhead to support the front panel. The WAMECO
    > FPB-1 is designed to mount in the same mechanical way as the IMSAI
    > board - it is 16 1/8" long and has four pairs of holes spaced to
    > support a plexiglass overlay and then attach through the front panel
    > via stand-offs to the metal support behind it.
    >
    > Jack

  5. Re: WTB - IMSAI chassis

    On Oct 28, 11:41 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Virtually every S-100 case .... for example Compupro, TEI, etc. .... was
    > designed to accommodate the mounting holes for an IMSAI front panel.
    >

    > JackRubin wrote:
    > > On Oct 27, 8:37 am, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > >> Most any of the S100 chassis with enough length for the backplane will
    > >> accomodate that. I put one in the first Altair I had to replace the
    > >> peicemeal four slot at a time backplane of the early Altair.

    > > Thanks for your suggestions, but the issue isn't accomodating the
    > > length of the motherboard - I have both 9 and 12 slot versions - but
    > > finding a box with the bulkhead to support the front panel. The WAMECO
    > > FPB-1 is designed to mount in the same mechanical way as the IMSAI
    > > board - it is 16 1/8" long and has four pairs of holes spaced to
    > > support a plexiglass overlay and then attach through the front panel
    > > via stand-offs to the metal support behind it.

    > > Jack- Hide quoted text -

    Well, that's what I'm trying to find - a generic "crate" that will
    accomodate the front panel. I've got a bunch of S100 stuff here that
    _won't_ support it - Altair, SOL-20, Cromemco System 1, Cromemco
    System 3, Northstar, H-Z/100 :>) , etc. I need to double check a
    system I have at the office, but I think the later CompuPro (8/16)
    boxes still have the offset front slot but lack the supporting
    bulkhead.

    Just looking for a plain old box -

    Jack

+ Reply to Thread