CP/M 1.4? - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M 1.4? - CP/M ; On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:57:32 +0000, no.spam wrote: > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:13:12 +0100, Udo Munk > wrote: > >>On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 03:04:11 +0000, no.spam wrote: >> >>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:52:18 +0200, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: CP/M 1.4?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:57:32 +0000, no.spam wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:13:12 +0100, Udo Munk
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 03:04:11 +0000, no.spam wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:52:18 +0200, Udo Munk
    >>> wrote:

    >>Hm, 8" SD standard disks have 1944 blocks, wondering why you say 1950?

    > 77 tracks 26 sector per track.
    > Raw space is 77*26=2002 sectors available.
    >
    > Of those 2 tracks are reserved for system.
    > That leaves 75*26 sectors equaling 1950 sectors available.
    >
    > However CP/M 8"SSSD uses 1k allocation spaces so there are only
    > 243 allocation blocks (1944 used allocation blocks) because the
    > remaining .75 of an allocation (6 sectors) are unused. Of those 243
    > 2 are reserved for directory leaving 241 allocation (241K) blocks
    > for actual file space.

    OK, now we got it straight, I just was confused because you said 1950.

    >>Seem that 1.x stat looks directly into BDOS tables because 1.x doesn't
    >>have BDOS function 31 to return the address of the disk tables. If this
    >>stat and the BDOS don't match, it shows some garbage.

    > It may be hard coded inside stat or stat has a "inside address"
    > so it knows where that diata is inside the BDOS.

    Yep, looks like this is the case.

    >>> Allison

    >>I did a little experiment to see if the 1.4 stat would work with the 1975
    >>versions, but guess what, displays garbage too, this bits are not matching.
    >>
    >>For running 1.x programs on the 1975 system I modified the boot loader
    >>to leave a JMP to the BDOS entry at address 5. The 1975 system doesn't
    >>initialize anything in page zero, has not been invented yet. With this one
    >>can run some of the 1.x programs like stat on the 1975 version. Don't try
    >>ddt tho, it destroyes the boot loader in page zero.

    > You mean pre 1.4, correct? I know 1.4 does init page 0.

    Yes, 1.4 and 1.3 both do init page 0, I mean the 1975 source bits from the
    CPMUG #5 disk, that got out into the public somehow.

    >>The 1975 bits at the web server are updated, if anyone wants to play
    >>with this.

    > Should be interesting.

    It is interesting, shows how and why it was developed to become
    the final product.

    > Allison

    Udo Munk

  2. Re: CP/M 1.4?

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 05:07:29 +0200, Udo Munk
    > wrote:
    >> I just build a bootable CP/M 1.4 disk for z80pack. The binary disk at
    >> Gaby's archive web site is missing the following files:
    >> submit.com
    >> load.com
    >> dump.com
    >> Do we have a complete 1.4 binary disk anywhere, so that I can build a
    >> complete one for that release?
    >>

    > I do it will be a while before I can set that system up. Space and time is the issue.
    > What's missing is PIP, STAT, ASM, ED, DDT and DUMP.asm
    > I'd expect there is another disk on line elsewhere that has those
    > missing parts. DUMP.asm is in the manuals and they are online.
    > The NS* V1.4 Lifeboat edition had:
    > ASM
    > DDT
    > DUMP.COM
    > DUMP.ASM
    > ED
    > SYSGEN (NS* NS specific NSYSGEN)
    > NRELOC (NS* specific relocator)
    > STAT
    > PIP
    > SUBMIT
    > USER.ASM
    > (user IO, PRN, PUN, RDR, CONOUT, CONIN, CONSTAT)
    >
    > And maybe HORUSER.ASM (NS* specific serial parallel IO)
    > Allison

    I need an Original 8" SSSD CP/M 1.4 floppy that I can use to regenerate
    CP/M 1.4 that will boot on my CompuPro 816. [I can send a new SSSD to be
    used to make a copy]. I was able to hack together a CP/M 2.2 on a SSSD
    with a 1024 block size. I am going to try to SYSGEN a SSSD 243 byte
    floppy as well. I have a bunch of CP/M 1.4 floppies from my Old DATA
    BANC [which is really an IMS 8000 Chassis renamed] but none of them are
    Original's. I am going to copy some of them to a DSDD 1024 byte floppy
    for safekeeping. I'll see if any of the files you are looking for are on
    them.
    Is it possible to extract the BOOT and BIOS Code from an existing CP/M
    system with DDT and save them as .HEX files so they can be included in a
    different version. If I can replace the BOOT and BIOS on the CP/M 1.4's
    I have with the BOOT & BIOS from the bootable CP/M 2.2 I have then I
    could construct a few larger CP/M 1.4 Boot floppies that I could use for
    re-assembling etc
    TIA
    Bob
    USE
    trebor72@execpc.com

  3. Re: CP/M 1.4?

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:00:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 05:07:29 +0200, Udo Munk
    >> wrote:
    >>> I just build a bootable CP/M 1.4 disk for z80pack. The binary disk at
    >>> Gaby's archive web site is missing the following files:
    >>> submit.com
    >>> load.com
    >>> dump.com
    >>> Do we have a complete 1.4 binary disk anywhere, so that I can build a
    >>> complete one for that release?
    >>>

    >> I do it will be a while before I can set that system up. Space and time is the issue.
    >> What's missing is PIP, STAT, ASM, ED, DDT and DUMP.asm
    >> I'd expect there is another disk on line elsewhere that has those
    >> missing parts. DUMP.asm is in the manuals and they are online.
    >> The NS* V1.4 Lifeboat edition had:
    >> ASM
    >> DDT
    >> DUMP.COM
    >> DUMP.ASM
    >> ED
    >> SYSGEN (NS* NS specific NSYSGEN)
    >> NRELOC (NS* specific relocator)
    >> STAT
    >> PIP
    >> SUBMIT
    >> USER.ASM
    >> (user IO, PRN, PUN, RDR, CONOUT, CONIN, CONSTAT)
    >>
    >> And maybe HORUSER.ASM (NS* specific serial parallel IO)
    >> Allison

    >I need an Original 8" SSSD CP/M 1.4 floppy that I can use to regenerate
    >CP/M 1.4 that will boot on my CompuPro 816. [I can send a new SSSD to be

    The 816 never ran CP/M1.4, correction 2.2 was current by time the 816
    arrived and Compupro never supplied the 816 with 1.4.

    I could see using a 816 to read an old 1.4 8"SSSD floppy though.

    the above listing is a mishmash of several posting and the bulk of it
    is only relevent to 5.25" CP/M1.4 on NS*Horizon [Lifeboat edition].

    >used to make a copy]. I was able to hack together a CP/M 2.2 on a SSSD
    >with a 1024 block size. I am going to try to SYSGEN a SSSD 243 byte
    >floppy as well. I have a bunch of CP/M 1.4 floppies from my Old DATA
    >BANC [which is really an IMS 8000 Chassis renamed] but none of them are
    >Original's. I am going to copy some of them to a DSDD 1024 byte floppy
    >for safekeeping. I'll see if any of the files you are looking for are on
    >them.
    >Is it possible to extract the BOOT and BIOS Code from an existing CP/M
    >system with DDT and save them as .HEX files so they can be included in a
    >different version. If I can replace the BOOT and BIOS on the CP/M 1.4's
    >I have with the BOOT & BIOS from the bootable CP/M 2.2 I have then I
    >could construct a few larger CP/M 1.4 Boot floppies that I could use for
    >re-assembling etc

    Yes, but they have to match the hardware in use. For example I could
    capture the bios from my V1.4 NS* single density system very easily
    with DDT. It would only be useful for V1.4 on a NS* (and the same
    sysgened memory size).

    Also the bios for 1.4 is far different than 2.2 and unusable.

    Allison

    >TIA
    >Bob
    >USE
    >trebor72@execpc.com

  4. Re: CP/M 1.4?

    Re: "I could see using a 816 to read an old 1.4 8"SSSD floppy though."

    There is no reason to do that, however. 2.2 can read anything that 1.4
    can read, but the reverse is not true. That said, it's not automatic.
    The formats that ANY version/implementation of CP/M can read are
    implementation dependent. And any given implementation runs on only one
    particular hardware configuration.

    Also, it's worth noting explicitly (which was implied in the post below)
    that the boot code and bios really are not part of CP/M at all. That
    is, they didn't come from Digital Research, but rather from the hardware
    vendor, or other implementor, and they are both hardware specific. That
    is, the boot code & bios from any given hardware will not, in general,
    run on any other hardware.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2