Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing - CP/M

This is a discussion on Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing - CP/M ; I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not able to test with them TIA Bob in Wisconsin USE this E-Mail Addy Minus ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

  1. Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    able to test with them
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin
    USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    trebor72SPAM@execpc.com

  2. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    > able to test with them
    > TIA
    > Bob in Wisconsin
    > USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    > trebor72SPAM@execpc.com

    I need a working N* FDC DD Controller for my N* Horizon. The Two I Have
    are Not Working [MDS-AD2 & MD3-AD3]
    I also need a working STATIC Memory card. All of mine need fixing.
    Any help will be appreciated
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin

  3. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Oct 26, 6:49 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    > able to test with them
    > TIA
    > Bob in Wisconsin
    > USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    > trebor72S...@execpc.com

    I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you
    looking for?

    ~ J

  4. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 06:10:19 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >> Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    >> able to test with them
    >> TIA
    >> Bob in Wisconsin
    >> USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    >> trebor72SPAM@execpc.com

    >I need a working N* FDC DD Controller for my N* Horizon. The Two I Have
    >are Not Working [MDS-AD2 & MD3-AD3]
    >I also need a working STATIC Memory card. All of mine need fixing.

    Didn't I repair two for you? Sounds like something elase if going
    on.

    Allison

    >Any help will be appreciated
    >TIA
    >Bob in Wisconsin

  5. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    MdntTrain wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 6:49 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >> Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    >> able to test with them
    >>
    >> USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    >> trebor72Spam@execpc.com
    >>

    > I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you looking for?

    MdntTrain;
    I was hoping someone could see if they worked in their system. I have
    two 8/16's but they don't want to work in mine.
    Might need a chip or two
    If I could send just the Disk1 then if it worked it might do someone as
    a spare
    I have a spare set of cards but need a working Disk1A for them. The
    spare Disk1A I have needs checking out
    TIA
    Bob

  6. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    MdntTrain wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 6:49 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >> snip
    >>

    > I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you
    > looking for?

    Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either
    a 74LS38 or 39.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1
    Thanks
    Bob

  7. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    >Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either
    >a 74LS38 or 39.
    >Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1

    I have the DISK1A technical manual on my site - It has full schematics
    and board/parts layouts. According to it U42 is a 74LS38 (Open collector
    NAND). Click on the "S-100" title of the S-100 machine section to go
    directly to my page of S-100 cards and documentation.

    Note: There's a small board layout drawing near the beginning of the manual,
    which is hard to make out (in that one, it looks like 74LS30) - but near the
    end there is a full page layout which is much easier to see, and it's clearly
    74LS38.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  8. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Nov 5, 9:53 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > MdntTrain wrote:
    > > On Oct 26, 6:49 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:

    > >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > >> snip

    > > I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you
    > > looking for?

    > Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either
    > a 74LS38 or 39.
    > Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Bob, I tried replying several times to your direct emails, and every
    one bounced back. If you want help, please get act together so you
    don't waste others' time.

    :
    216.93.66.110 does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address
    rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
    Giving up on 216.93.66.110.

  9. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    "Robert J. Stevens" wrote in message
    > MdntTrain wrote:
    >> On Oct 26, 6:49 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >>> snip
    >>>

    >> I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you
    >> looking for?

    > Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either a
    > 74LS38 or 39.
    > Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Look in the "CompuPro Product User Manuals, Volume 2", pages 93-210 for
    the Disk 1. It shows U42 to be a 74LS244.

    Don

  10. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    >> Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either
    >> a 74LS38 or 39.
    >> Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1
    >>

    > I have the DISK1A technical manual on my site - It has full schematics
    > and board/parts layouts. According to it U42 is a 74LS38 (Open collector
    > NAND). Click on the "S-100" title of the S-100 machine section to go
    > directly to my page of S-100 cards and documentation.
    >
    > Note: There's a small board layout drawing near the beginning of the manual,
    > which is hard to make out (in that one, it looks like 74LS30) - but near the
    > end there is a full page layout which is much easier to see, and it's clearly
    > 74LS38.
    >
    > snipped

    Thanks
    The screened name has a hole in it. I did get a 38 so Plunk in it goes.
    Now to get it tested. I has ECO 21, ECO 35, And ECO 73 Labels on the
    card. I Think my other two Disk1A's that are in running machines have a
    higher ECO level. Have to check
    But right now they are blocked in.
    Is the RAM 17 a 64K card? I have a pair but my other Machines have RAM 22's
    I want to use them to try to get my N* Horizon running but need to open
    a hole for the FDC .
    Bob

  11. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    MdntTrain wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 9:53 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> MdntTrain wrote:

    >>> I have a running system with a Disk 1. What kind of help are you
    >>> looking for?
    >>>

    >> Can you tell me what the Chip is a U42 on a Disk1A. It looks like either
    >> a 74LS38 or 39.
    >> Can anyone tell me where I can find the Layouts etc for a CompuPro Disk1
    >> Thanks
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Bob, I tried replying several times to your direct emails, and every
    > one bounced back. If you want help, please get act together so you
    > don't waste others' time.
    >
    > :
    > 216.93.66.110 does not like recipient.
    > Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address
    > rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
    > Giving up on 216.93.66.110.

    Sorry.
    That is my old E-Mail address. I have had problems with SPAM. Seems they
    pick up my addy from these list and other places as well.
    You can use
    trebor72@execpc.com

  12. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > Is there anyone out there with a running system. I Have two but am not
    > able to test with them
    > TIA
    > Bob in Wisconsin
    > USE this E-Mail Addy
    > trebor72@execpc.com

    I Am Also Looking for a CompuPro Interfacer I or II or a System Support
    I Board.
    I have an Interfacer III and IV to swap.
    TIA
    Bob

  13. Re: WTB a copy of MS-DOS by Gifford for the COMPUPRO 816

    I am looking for a Bootable copy of MS-DOS by Gifford for the COMPUPRO 816.
    I've got a bunch of Dos Diskettes that I need to look at
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin
    trebor72@execpc.com

  14. Re: WTB a copy of MS-DOS by Gifford for the COMPUPRO 816

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:14:43 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a Bootable copy of MS-DOS by Gifford for the COMPUPRO 816.
    >I've got a bunch of Dos Diskettes that I need to look at
    >TIA
    >Bob in Wisconsin
    >trebor72@execpc.com

    An alternate is a utility under CP/M that can read the MSDOS disks.
    I use on for my ampro called "dos". It configures a floppy, 3.5" 720K
    in my case, for use as if were a logical dos floppy. I can read or
    write DOS floppies for transfer. Unfortunatly it's not a portable
    code and as it has hooks in the BIOS it needs to do the disk access.
    I wish I had source for that one.

    Another way... some of the CP/M utilities like SD can read non cpm
    floppies on a sector by sector basis.

    If your familiar with FAT file system it's possible to write a CP/M
    app that can read it. Other than using it on PCs I'm not up on FAT
    for floppies or how it's laid out. I do know theres tons of info out
    there if needed. Maybe someone has done it already.

    Allison

  15. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    > trebor72SPAM@execpc.com

    I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro. I
    am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack. I ALSO Need a bootable Floppy that will
    access all Four 8" floppies. the Ones I have say A:, B:, C:, D: but I
    can't access C: or D: no matter how I try. Got to be the software. I was
    able to boot up using a Shugart 850 as A: in one Power Rack and two
    QumeTrak 242's in the Dual rack [I have a pair of right angle Connectors
    that allow me to connect two 50 Pin cables together]. I can get to B: in
    the dual rack but not C:. If I swap the Jumpers on the QumeTrak's then
    the Other drive will access as B: but still no C:
    I have CP/M 2.2, CP/M 80, CP/M-86, CCP/M-86 & MP/M-86 for the Compu-Pro.
    There are some BOOT & BIOS files on the MP/M Master's I hhve but I don't
    have masters on the others. I Have BOOT & BIOS files for the Tarbell
    Systems I used to have running. [CP/M 1.4 & CP/m 2.2]
    I want to try to build a library of BOOT & BIOS .asm files for the
    various Systems that are out there. Then I should be able to re-generate
    a CP/M system. I wan't to try to get CP/M 1.4 Running on my CompuPro
    I can transfer from my Working PC to the CP/M system VIA 5 1/4's. I am
    making copies of all my SSSD 8" floppies for storage on the PC. I also
    want to try to put a 1.2 5 1/4 on replacing one of the 8"ers. I have a
    card that converts 5 1/4 to 8". I am going to see if it can be used in
    reverse. I have a TEAC FD-55GFR 142-U with jumpers on the interface
    board that should work along with of the 8" Qumetrak's if I can find a
    Bootable system that will see all four Floppies.
    TIA
    Bob in Wisconsin
    USE trebor72@SPAMexecpc.com - SPAM

  16. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need
    >> Fixing/Testing USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"

    > I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a
    > CompuPro. I am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM

    .... Large unparagraphed unreadable block snipped ...

    If you want assistance or help, try to write something legible. It
    is very hard for us ancient types to follow anything that consists
    of a solid massive block of chars. Paragraphs, sequencing, etc.
    all help.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  17. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Mar 6, 8:51*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > > I have a *Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    > > USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    > > trebor72S...@execpc.com

    > I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro. I
    > am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    > floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack.

    Perhaps you've looked thru here?:

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/os.htm

    DRIPAK.ZIP
    COMPUPRO.ZIP

    Steve

    > Bob in Wisconsin
    > USE trebo...@SPAMexecpc.com - SPAM

  18. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:51:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >> USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    >> trebor72SPAM@execpc.com

    >I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro.

    They are on the net.

    >am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    >floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack. I ALSO Need a bootable Floppy that will

    First start with a 64k system and get it right until then the extra
    Ram is meaningless. Also for CP/M2.2 more than 64k is generally
    unused (some were supplied with a bios that used it as ramdisk).

    Is the cpu an Z80 or the 8085/8088 CPU board? All my docs do not list
    an 8085 only cpu for Compupro.

    >access all Four 8" floppies. the Ones I have say A:, B:, C:, D: but I
    >can't access C: or D: no matter how I try. Got to be the software. I was

    Maybe or the DISK1A configuration could be wrong. there are jumpers
    to make the operating conditions change for 8" and 5.25" connectors
    and C and D could be actually 5.25.

    Another posibility is you have drives C and D misconfigured.

    In anycase you do not so much need a bootable floppy as a
    bios you can load (yes you can) after booting that does 4 drives.
    I did look at the listings I got off the net and the standard bios is
    setup for 4 drives but you may be trying to do one of many things
    wrong.

    You might be trying to read single denisty as double.

    You might be trying to read doubl density as single

    You might have media that was created at density or format that
    the bios your using is NOT configured for.

    You might be trying to read a double denity disk created on an
    Intel MDS which is M2FM and unreadable by at other system
    or floppy controller chip (maybe with catsweasel and PC).

    Reminder the 8" world had more variation in drives and formats.
    the only standard 8" format was 8"SSSD and all others were
    different.

    >able to boot up using a Shugart 850 as A: in one Power Rack and two
    >QumeTrak 242's in the Dual rack [I have a pair of right angle Connectors
    >that allow me to connect two 50 Pin cables together]. I can get to B: in
    >the dual rack but not C:. If I swap the Jumpers on the QumeTrak's then
    >the Other drive will access as B: but still no C:

    See above.

    >I have CP/M 2.2, CP/M 80, CP/M-86, CCP/M-86 & MP/M-86 for the Compu-Pro.
    >There are some BOOT & BIOS files on the MP/M Master's I hhve but I don't
    >have masters on the others. I Have BOOT & BIOS files for the Tarbell
    >Systems I used to have running. [CP/M 1.4 & CP/m 2.2]

    They are all on line. I'd stick with CP/M80 until you get your
    hardware sorted out.

    >I want to try to build a library of BOOT & BIOS .asm files for the
    >various Systems that are out there. Then I should be able to re-generate
    >a CP/M system.

    Most of it's out there.

    >I wan't to try to get CP/M 1.4 Running on my CompuPro
    >I can transfer from my Working PC to the CP/M system VIA 5 1/4's. I am
    >making copies of all my SSSD 8" floppies for storage on the PC. I also
    >want to try to put a 1.2 5 1/4 on replacing one of the 8"ers. I have a
    >card that converts 5 1/4 to 8".

    Why? Other than 1.4 being a royal pain to configure for other than 8"
    SSSD and having other limits. To configure 1.4 for anything other
    than 8"SSSD is to embark on rewriting the BDOS (some companies did
    like Lifeboat). CP/M1.4 did not have a fully abstracted bios like V2
    and later.

    >I am going to see if it can be used in
    >reverse. I have a TEAC FD-55GFR 142-U with jumpers on the interface
    >board that should work along with of the 8" Qumetrak's if I can find a
    >Bootable system that will see all four Floppies.

    If the drive cannot accuratly emulate the single density, 25 sectors
    per track and 77 tracks it will make your day hard.

    Allison

    >TIA
    >Bob in Wisconsin
    >USE trebor72@SPAMexecpc.com - SPAM

  19. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 8:51 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >>>

    >> I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro. I
    >> am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    >> floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack.
    >> Perhaps you've looked thru here?:
    >> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/os.htm
    >>
    >> DRIPAK.ZIP
    >> COMPUPRO.ZIP

    Steve;
    Thanks for the lead. I think those files will be a great help
    Bob in Wisconsin

  20. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:51:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    > wrote:
    >> Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >> I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro.
    >>

    > They are on the net.

    I was able to down load from the site Steve suggested. I think they will
    do the Trick
    > I am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    > floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack. I ALSO Need a bootable Floppy that will
    >

    > Is the cpu an Z80 or the 8085/8088 CPU board? All my docs do not list
    > an 8085 only cpu for Compupro.

    It's an 8085/8088 CPU
    >> access all Four 8" floppies. the Ones I have say A:, B:, C:, D: but I
    >> can't access C: or D: no matter how I try. Got to be the software.
    >>

    > Maybe or the DISK1A configuration could be wrong. there are jumpers
    > to make the operating conditions change for 8" and 5.25" connectors
    > and C and D could be actually 5.25.

    You may be right. Two of my Boot floppies Systems are set up for two 8"
    and two 5 1/4 and they work.
    I'll have to set up another system just for 4 8"ers. Else swap the
    Disk1A. I have another that is a lower EC level
    I have enough spare cards except for Console I/O. I do have a DISK1 but
    not sure it works.
    I also have an Integrand 22 slot S-100 Chassis that I tested and it
    powers up OK.
    Thanks for the Advice
    Bob in Wisconsin

+ Reply to Thread