Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing - CP/M

This is a discussion on Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing - CP/M ; On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:23:25 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote: >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote: >> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:51:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens" >> wrote: >>> Robert J. Stevens wrote: >>> >>> I am trying to find the .ASM ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

  1. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:51:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    >> wrote:
    >>> Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to find the .ASM files for the BOOT & BIOS for a CompuPro.
    >>>

    >> They are on the net.
    >>

    >I was able to down load from the site Steve suggested. I think they will
    >do the Trick
    >> I am running a CPU 8085, Disk1A, System Support, RAM 22's with two
    >> floppies in a CompuPro 816 Rack. I ALSO Need a bootable Floppy that will
    >>

    >> Is the cpu an Z80 or the 8085/8088 CPU board? All my docs do not list
    >> an 8085 only cpu for Compupro.
    >>

    >It's an 8085/8088 CPU

    Sorta figured.

    >>> access all Four 8" floppies. the Ones I have say A:, B:, C:, D: but I
    >>> can't access C: or D: no matter how I try. Got to be the software.
    >>>

    >> Maybe or the DISK1A configuration could be wrong. there are jumpers
    >> to make the operating conditions change for 8" and 5.25" connectors
    >> and C and D could be actually 5.25.
    >>

    >You may be right. Two of my Boot floppies Systems are set up for two 8"
    >and two 5 1/4 and they work.
    >I'll have to set up another system just for 4 8"ers. Else swap the
    >Disk1A. I have another that is a lower EC level

    the setup for what drives are what size are jumpers on the board. The
    manual details how to set it up for any mix.

    >I have enough spare cards except for Console I/O. I do have a DISK1 but
    >not sure it works.

    Test it it should be set up to boot 4 and has an 8085 compatable boot.

    >I also have an Integrand 22 slot S-100 Chassis that I tested and it
    >powers up OK.

    Integrand boxes were nice.

    Allison

    >Thanks for the Advice
    >Bob in Wisconsin

  2. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:29:51 -0500, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >If you want assistance or help, try to write something legible. It
    >is very hard for us ancient types to follow anything that consists
    >of a solid massive block of chars. Paragraphs, sequencing, etc.
    >all help.

    Just out of curiosity (and in re: your 'headers') - are you still
    using Win98 for your 'browsing' machine?

    Bill

  3. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Bill wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:29:51 -0500, CBFalconer :Just out of curiosity (and in re: your 'headers') - are you still
    > using Win98 for your 'browsing' machine?

    Bill;

    Actually. I am using WinMe as my Main Machine but I still have some of
    my Older Win98SE Machines on my Network
    Bob

  4. Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing)

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:09:58 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >....but I still have some of my Older Win98SE Machines on my Network

    Recently ran across this list of OS's ... found something I'd never
    head of ... http://www.theosfiles.com/

    Anybody tried
    http://www.theosfiles.com/os_other/o...r_reactos.html ?

    Looks really interesting - the site says they're working closely with
    the WINE people, but on a different course. WINE is more for folks
    wanting to run Linux, with somewhat limited ability to run windows
    applications. ReactOS is clearly aiming to let us run windows
    applications but without the need for microsoft windows at all.

    I've been using Xandros, a Debian-based Linux, that comes
    with a full strength Crossover (Wine-based) and following
    progress via discussion group getting things to run. Not good.

    The ReactOS approach reminds me of the Compaq one on
    the hardware side of the dark force (clone BIOS). Finally,
    somebody's doing it to the software (OS) side.

    I hope they succeed.

    I still use Win98se because for me, XP is a piece of ****.

    I only have it on one machine, and for reasons unknown
    the beast has grown to almost 12 gigabytes! Since it's a
    laptop, I didn't even get a re-install CD, so cleaning house
    may result in killing it altogether.

    The THEOS link will get you in touch with CP/M remnants.

    Bill

  5. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    Bill wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Just out of curiosity (and in re: your 'headers') - are you still
    > using Win98 for your 'browsing' machine?

    Yes. No need to change working software. Zonealarm and sound
    practice protects it.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  6. Re: Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1AControllers...

    Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Sat, Mar 8, 2008, 11:59am From:
    Bill@sunsouthwest.com (Bill)

    script:

    >Anybody tried
    >
    >http://www.theosfiles.com/os_other/o...r_reactos.html ?

    Haven't tried it yet. (Was able to buy several copies of NT4.0 for
    cheap on eBay.)

    Was very interested when I ran across it some 5 (or so) years ago.

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

  7. Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers need Fixing/Testing

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:51:54 -0600, "Robert J. Stevens"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers that need Fixing/Testing
    >>> USE this E-Mail Addy Minus "SPAM"
    >>> trebor72SPAM@execpc.com
    >>>

    > Maybe or the DISK1A configuration could be wrong. there are jumpers
    > to make the operating conditions change for 8" and 5.25" connectors
    > and C and D could be actually 5.25.
    >
    > snipped
    >
    >> I was able to boot up using a Shugart 850 as A: in one Power Rack and two
    >> QumeTrak 242's in the Dual rack [I have a pair of right angle Connectors
    >> that allow me to connect two 50 Pin cables together]. I can get to B: in
    >> the dual rack but not C:. If I swap the Jumpers on the QumeTrak's then
    >> the Other drive will access as B: but still no C:

    snipped

    Got it working I had theDisk1A setup for two 8" and two 5 1/4. I
    reconfigured and now I can see at least A: B: C:. Don't have a D: drive.
    So I am able to some of the Copies I wanted to do.
    Thnaks for all the Input.

  8. Re: Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers...

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:58:59 -0600, dowcom@webtv.net (bud) wrote:

    >Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Sat, Mar 8, 2008, 11:59am From:
    >Bill@sunsouthwest.com (Bill)
    >
    >script:
    >
    >>Anybody tried
    >>
    >>http://www.theosfiles.com/os_other/o...r_reactos.html ?

    >Haven't tried it yet. (Was able to buy several copies of NT4.0 for
    >cheap on eBay.)
    >
    >Was very interested when I ran across it some 5 (or so) years ago.
    >
    >salaam,
    >dowcom
    >
    > To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    >dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    Since the topic is com.os.other....

    I run Win98se passed through 98Lite (strips out all the IE and OE crap
    and nets a far dsmaller and faster system) and WinNT4 that has been
    given the same treatment. No Office allowed as that is a virus trap
    too so the tools are Firebird, Thunderbird, Free Agent, and other
    third party stuff. With the crap removed and all that stuff runs good
    on Mhz class (233 and up) pentiums rather than requiring ghz class
    dual cores.

    Allison

  9. Re: Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1AControllers...

    Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Sun, Mar 9, 2008, 12:46pm (CDT+5) From:
    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net

    script:

    >I run Win98se passed through 98Lite

    Got to try 98Lite someday myself.

    >(strips out all the IE and OE crap and
    >nets a far dsmaller and faster system)
    >and WinNT4 that has been given the
    >same treatment.

    Was the NT4 a DIY? 98Lite doesn't work on NT4, does it?

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

  10. Re: Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1A Controllers...

    On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:26:00 -0500, dowcom@webtv.net (bud) wrote:

    >Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Sun, Mar 9, 2008, 12:46pm (CDT+5) From:
    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net
    >
    >script:
    >
    >>I run Win98se passed through 98Lite

    >Got to try 98Lite someday myself.

    There s a varient using 98lite where you borrow the GUI
    from W95 to lighten the package more as the 98 "improvement"
    was to present everything as "webview" actually eats cpu cycles.
    98lite is on the net.

    The biggest problem 95/98/nt suffers from is all the cruft added
    like yahoo and AOL as part of the install. Doesn't hurt to remaster
    the install CD to remove all the undesired crud.

    >>(strips out all the IE and OE crap and
    >>nets a far dsmaller and faster system)
    >>and WinNT4 that has been given the
    >>same treatment.

    >Was the NT4 a DIY? 98Lite doesn't work on NT4, does it?

    Correct. Lots of years using it as servers and at work I got to know
    it well. That and a lot of plain reading between the M$ lines. Be
    prepared for a lot of registry work. While its easy to remove IE and
    OE and other cruft the trash in the registry is the where the action
    and other junk remains. ONe hint if NT is not stable wipe the disk
    and reinstall, I've seen installs that werent right lime along as
    unstable when it was better shot and reinstalled.

    NT is very tuneable and I have it running nicely on a 486/66 with
    32mb as a lightweight server. It's not fast but never seen is crunch.

    Generally I use 98se and NT4 for my stuff if not using DOS or one of
    the free unix/linix. I do not like XP, I use it at work and it's the
    worst pice of crap in a development environment.

    Allison

    >salaam,
    >dowcom
    >
    > To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    >dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

  11. Re: OT: Safety, was: Compu-Pro

    *CBFalconer* wrote on Sat, 08-03-08 19:11:
    >Zonealarm and sound practice protects it.

    Actually you do not need even that. Win98SE and others need your active
    participation when installing Mailware. Only the "newer" eXPerimantal
    has virus installation routines supplied as part of the OS.

    If you connect a newly installed XP to the net, to load down all those
    needed safety patches for example, that alone, on its own, and without
    any help from you suffices to get all the viruses you'll ever need.

    I'll stick to software that does not do all that for me and that does
    not feel the need to call home to mother-in-law every five minutes and
    explain all about life with me in every personal detail, thank you very
    much.

    Axel

  12. Re: Operating Systems (was:Re: Compu-Pro Disk1 & Disk1AControllers...

    TNX for the reply. Also thanks for reminding me of 98Lite. I found it
    easily via Google.

    TNX & salaam,
    dowcom

  13. Re: OT: Safety, was: Compu-Pro

    Axel Berger wrote:
    > *CBFalconer* wrote on Sat, 08-03-08 19:11:
    >
    >> Zonealarm and sound practice protects it.

    > Actually you do not need even that. Win98SE and others need your
    > active participation when installing Mailware. Only the "newer"
    > eXPerimantal has virus installation routines supplied as part of
    > the OS.

    Disagree. Although it hasn't happened, ZA prevents Internet access
    for all unapproved programs, so some script kiddies thing can get
    seated. Also, the density of Internet attacks has fallen off over
    the last year or three (of W98). Probably due to its obsolescence.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives
    I have a pair of FUJI Toshiba 5882M0K Black Face 1.2M 5 1/4 drives that
    I just put into a Housing.
    They worked as A: & B: on my PC Test Station. They format Floppies
    without errors
    Now I would like to hook them up to my CompuPro 816 with a Disk1A and
    make copies of some of my 8" floppies
    My Disk1 doesn't seem to want to work.
    Does anyone have Adapter or a Schematic I can use.
    TIA
    Bob
    I post this way because my Newsgroup won't let me do a NEW Write
    USE
    trebor72SPAM@execpc.com -SPAM

  15. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    Hello Bob,

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:24:39 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:

    >Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives
    >I have a pair of FUJI Toshiba 5882M0K Black Face 1.2M 5 1/4 drives that
    >I just put into a Housing.
    >They worked as A: & B: on my PC Test Station. They format Floppies
    >without errors
    >Now I would like to hook them up to my CompuPro 816 with a Disk1A and
    >make copies of some of my 8" floppies
    >My Disk1 doesn't seem to want to work.
    >Does anyone have Adapter or a Schematic I can use.

    Perhaps helps you the following URL.

    Using a 5.25" 1.2Mbyte floppy disk in place of an 8" one.

    http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/8-525.html

    Rolf

  16. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    Rolf Harrmann wrote:

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:24:39 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    I have an RT-11 system running on 5.25in Teac FD55GFR drives.

    It helps to have a controller that can format them.

    -- glen

  17. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    Rolf Harrmann wrote:
    > Hello Bob,
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:24:39 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >> as anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives
    >> I have a pair of FUJI Toshiba 5882M0K Black Face 1.2M 5 1/4 drives that
    >> I just put into a Housing.
    >> They worked as A: & B: on my PC Test Station. They format Floppies
    >> without errors
    >> Now I would like to hook them up to my CompuPro 816 with a Disk1A and
    >> make copies of some of my 8" floppies
    >> My Disk1 doesn't seem to want to work.
    >> Does anyone have Adapter or a Schematic I can use.
    >>

    > Perhaps helps you the following URL.
    > Using a 5.25" 1.2Mbyte floppy disk in place of an 8" one.
    > http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/8-525.html

    Rolf;
    Thanks;
    I made a copy that I can access with WORDPAD
    Bob

  18. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    In article ,
    glen herrmannsfeldt writes:
    > Rolf Harrmann wrote:
    >
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:24:39 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >>Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    > I have an RT-11 system running on 5.25in Teac FD55GFR drives.
    >
    > It helps to have a controller that can format them.

    But that's not what he is asking. He (like many others) has a system
    designed to use 8" disks and wants to change it to 5.25" disks. Not a
    particular easy task. Your RT-11 system is both hardware and software
    designed to use 5.25" disks. Now, if you said you hooked that FD55GFR
    up to an RXV21 controller, that would be an accomplishment. Or even
    the opposite, try hooking an SA800 up to your RQDX controler. :-)
    And just to make it all more fun, get CPM to run on that PDP-11. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  19. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives
    > I have a pair of FUJI Toshiba 5882M0K Black Face 1.2M 5 1/4 drives that
    > I just put into a Housing.
    > They worked as A: & B: on my PC Test Station. They format Floppies
    > without errors
    > Now I would like to hook them up to my CompuPro 816 with a Disk1A and
    > make copies of some of my 8" floppies
    > My Disk1 doesn't seem to want to work.
    > Does anyone have Adapter or a Schematic I can use.
    > TIA
    > Bob

    The Compupro Disk1A is already set up to drive 8" and/or 5 1/4" drives.
    Their docs show how to set it up to talk to a 5 1/4" drive.

    Your BIOS will need to have the proper parameter blocks to talk with the
    5 1/4" drives. There are some DIP switches or jumpers required to set
    the drive asignments. The Compupro BIOS for CPM68K (which is what I had
    the most experience with) supported it pretty well. It mostly required
    spending enough time to exceed the FW (Fool With) threshold to get
    working. I am not sure about the CPM80 BIOSs.

    Good Luck,
    Bob

  20. Re: Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of 8" drives

    On Mar 16, 10:56*am, BobH
    wrote:
    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    > > Has anyone succeeded in using 5 1/4's in Place of *8" drives
    > > I have a pair of FUJI Toshiba 5882M0K Black Face 1.2M 5 1/4 drives that
    > > I just put into a Housing.
    > > They worked as A: & B: on my PC Test Station. They format Floppies
    > > without errors
    > > Now I would like to hook them up to my CompuPro 816 with a Disk1A and
    > > make copies of some of my 8" floppies
    > > My Disk1 doesn't seem to want to work.
    > > Does anyone have Adapter or a Schematic I can use.
    > > TIA
    > > Bob

    > The Compupro Disk1A is already set up to drive 8" and/or 5 1/4" drives.
    > Their docs show how to set it up to talk to a 5 1/4" drive.
    >
    > Your BIOS will need to have the proper parameter blocks to talk with the
    > 5 1/4" drives. There are some DIP switches or jumpers required to set
    > the drive asignments. The Compupro BIOS for CPM68K (which is what I had
    > the most experience with) supported it pretty well. It mostly required
    > spending enough time to exceed the FW (Fool With) threshold to get
    > working. I am not sure about the CPM80 BIOSs.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Bob

    ----
    I think you may have misunderstood (or I did). I think the OP wants to
    use 5 1/4HD (1.2Mb) drives (which, AFAIK, were not available in the
    Compupro days) to emulate an 8" drive; since the 5 1/4 drive (assuming
    it can be properly configured) looks exactly like an 8" drive to the
    hardware, no BIOS changes should be necessary (except, perhaps, for
    adding additional drive letters).

    Not all HD drives can be configured to emulate an 8" drive; the most
    common problems are lack of an option to supply a /READY signal and
    head load & timing issues. Unfortunately, although I have docs and
    experience with some drives, I'm not familiar with the 5882.

    Not relevant for the OP but as a matter of interest, with a Cromemco
    FDC you don't even have to make a special cable or buy a 50<>34 pin
    adapter; by adding one jumper you can put an HD drive configured to
    emulate an 8" on the same cable as the 5 1/4 DD drive(s).

    mike