Re: Interview to Gary Kildall - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: Interview to Gary Kildall - CP/M ; On 24 oct, 15:25, MikePcw wrote: > Hello all! > > I have found this interview in the internet. I believe that it is very > interesting. > > Best regards, > > Source: http://www.sourcesystems.net/gary_interview.html > More information on this... ...

  1. Re: Interview to Gary Kildall

    On 24 oct, 15:25, MikePcw wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have found this interview in the internet. I believe that it is very
    > interesting.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Source:http://www.sourcesystems.net/gary_interview.html

    More information on this...

    It's a interview included in the book "Programmers at Work" by Susan
    Lammers. I remember some advertisements many years ago...

    You can find the contents of the book in:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200102210.../PAW/m1100.htm

    There is also an interview to Bill Gates talking about CD-ROM.
    Buffff.... (Gary talks about this subject too....)

    Anyway, Gary talks some interesting things about his PL/M compiler.

    Best Regards,

  2. Re: Interview to Gary Kildall

    On Oct 24, 8:36 am, MikePcw wrote:
    > On 24 oct, 15:25, MikePcw wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all!

    > > I have found this interview in the internet. I believe that it is very
    > > interesting.

    > > Best regards,

    > > Source:http://www.sourcesystems.net/gary_interview.html

    > More information on this...
    >
    > It's a interview included in the book "Programmers at Work" by Susan
    > Lammers. I remember some advertisements many years ago...
    >
    > You can find the contents of the book in:http://web.archive.org/web/200102210.../PAW/m1100.htm
    >
    > There is also an interview to Bill Gates talking about CD-ROM.
    > Buffff.... (Gary talks about this subject too....)
    >
    > Anyway, Gary talks some interesting things about his PL/M compiler.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    Hello Mike,
    Thanks for the link! I found it very interesting. I'm sure Mr. Roche
    will appreciate the following:
    "
    INTERVIEWER: Do you find anything aesthetically pleasing in your work?

    KILDALL: Oh, absolutely. When a program is clean and neat, nicely
    structured, and consistent, it can be beautiful. I guess I wouldn't
    compare a program with the Mona Lisa, but it does have a simplicity
    and elegance that's quite handsome. Stylistic distinctions of
    different programs are intriguing, very much like the differences art
    critics might see between Leonardo's Mona Lisa and a Van Gogh. I like
    the LISP programming language so much because it's so pleasing.
    There's a concise form of LISP called the M expressions. When you
    write an algorithm using M expressions, it's so beautiful you almost
    feel it could be framed and hung on a wall.

    When I was working on my Ph.D. thesis, I was trying to solve a
    difficult global flow analysis problem. I knew there had to be a
    solution, but I just couldn't crack it. Finally, when I got a clean
    mathematical model, I coded the algorithms in LISP. The program took
    only two hours to write, and it was beautiful; it did exactly what I
    wanted it to do. At that point, I had no direct proof the program
    worked, but every example I ran through LISP was functioning the way I
    expected. I wrote the same program in XPL, which is a systems language
    for running compilers. Later, when I got proof that the program was
    correct, I found it was based on the concepts of the very pretty LISP
    program, not the concepts developed in the relatively ugly XPL
    program.
    "

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread