Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism - CP/M ; The Big-8 Management Board wrote in : > > If no willing and qualified moderator or moderation team can be found, > the group will probably be robo-moderated for a time (i.e., posts will > not be checked for scientific ...

  1. Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism

    The Big-8 Management Board wrote in <1153502815.31314@isc.org>:

    > If no willing and qualified moderator or moderation team can be found,
    > the group will probably be robo-moderated for a time (i.e., posts will
    > not be checked for scientific content or adherence to the charter). The
    > robomoderator will apply simple spam filters and prevent cross-posts from
    > appearing in the group.

    So, if a group is moderated, and the moderator goes missing, the
    Poliburo will robo-moderate it, which entails (as above), no checking of
    content for "adherence to the charter" - yet, they propose to remove
    c.o.c.amethyst primarily because the traffic there, in the opinion of
    some, is off-topic.

    I just luuurve the consistency of this brave new world....

    --
    2006 Otaku (at) troll4fun (dot) com

    Nothing can be done in one trip.
    -- Snider

  2. Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism

    Otaku writes:

    >> If no willing and qualified moderator or moderation team can be found,
    >> the group will probably be robo-moderated for a time (i.e., posts will
    >> not be checked for scientific content or adherence to the charter). The
    >> robomoderator will apply simple spam filters and prevent cross-posts from
    >> appearing in the group.

    > So, if a group is moderated, and the moderator goes missing, the
    > Poliburo will robo-moderate it, which entails (as above), no checking of
    > content for "adherence to the charter"

    "For a time", anyway. If no moderator can be found, and it is
    determined that robo-moderation doesn't offer a useful group, we'll
    probably remove the group entirely.

    - Tim Skirvin (skirv@big-8.org)
    Chair, Big-8 Management Board
    --
    http://www.big-8.org/ Big-8 Management Board
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage < <*>

  3. Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism

    Tim Skirvin wrote:
    > Otaku writes:
    >

    >>>If no willing and qualified moderator or moderation team can be found,
    >>>the group will probably be robo-moderated for a time (i.e., posts will
    >>>not be checked for scientific content or adherence to the charter). The
    >>>robomoderator will apply simple spam filters and prevent cross-posts from
    >>>appearing in the group.

    >>So, if a group is moderated, and the moderator goes missing, the
    >>Poliburo will robo-moderate it, which entails (as above), no checking of
    >>content for "adherence to the charter"

    > "For a time", anyway. If no moderator can be found, and it is
    > determined that robo-moderation doesn't offer a useful group, we'll
    > probably remove the group entirely.
    >
    > - Tim Skirvin (skirv@big-8.org)
    > Chair, Big-8 Management Board

    Otaku_san,

    With all respect, there are some 'finer_points' of the News
    or rather the News Servers at play here.

    Point 1: It is NOT possible to convert a Non-Moderated Newsgroup
    into a Moderated one.

    Point 2: The reverse is Just As True.

    Yes, in the Big-8, one could 'rmgroup' and then issue a
    'newgroup' in a [vain] attempt to do either; BUT:

    There will Always Be servers that Do NOT honor those Control
    Messeges and on those servers the groups will be UNChanged.

    So consider an UnModerated group that is SomeHowMystically
    changed to Moderated on Many Systems. Those that post to ones
    that Did NOT honor the control messeges will still see their
    posts. They MAY EVEN PROPOGATE to some other servers.

    Further, such posts WILL propogate to all servers that did NOT
    honor the cmsg IF those posts are crossposted say to

    Please to Remember that the Alt runs by different rules than
    the Big-8.

    In short, it would be a mess.

    The reverse is simpler. IF a Moderated Group is changed to
    Un-Moderated, those systems that did Not honor that request
    would continue to send posts to the Moderator's mailbox. A robot
    [robo-mod] at that address could then Authorize each of them.
    In addition, those systems that did honor the cmsg [control msg]
    and change the groups status would allow direct posting at those
    system.

    So the Only Way to keep s.r.shamanism going withOUT making an
    impossible mess of it is to let a Robot loose to tend the posting
    mail request.

    AR

  4. Re: Moderator Vacancy Announcement: soc.religion.shamanism

    AR Ogden writes:

    > So the Only Way to keep s.r.shamanism going withOUT making an impossible
    > mess of it is to let a Robot loose to tend the posting mail request.

    While I'm not sure I agree with your premises, the result is the
    same - we will almost certainly be having a modbot take over the group if
    no human moderators can be found.

    - Tim Skirvin (skirv@big-8.org)
    Chair, Big-8 Management Board
    --