Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted - CP/M

This is a discussion on Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted - CP/M ; Hi, I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star Technology ( http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html ). I was wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing to part with? A PF-10 disk ...

  1. Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Hi,

    I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star
    Technology (http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html). I was
    wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing
    to part with? A PF-10 disk drive would be cool too, but I understand
    those were rare even during the PX-8's day.

    Regards,
    Doug

  2. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Doug_M wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star
    > Technology (http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html). I was
    > wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing
    > to part with? A PF-10 disk drive would be cool too, but I understand
    > those were rare even during the PX-8's day.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Doug

    Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?

    Regards,
    Doug

  3. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:53:18 GMT, Doug_M
    wrote:

    >Doug_M wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star
    >> Technology (http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html). I was
    >> wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing
    >> to part with? A PF-10 disk drive would be cool too, but I understand
    >> those were rare even during the PX-8's day.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Doug

    >Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    >editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Doug

    So happens I have one (wordstar rom). What's your offer for it?
    I ahve wordstar for CP/M on various disks so if it needed it for the
    PX-8 I could pipe it down the serial line. I dont use WS though I
    have Vedit which I prefer.

    Allison

  4. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:53:18 GMT, Doug_M
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Doug_M wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star
    >>>Technology (http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html). I was
    >>>wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing
    >>>to part with? A PF-10 disk drive would be cool too, but I understand
    >>>those were rare even during the PX-8's day.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Doug

    >>Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    >>editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Doug

    > So happens I have one (wordstar rom). What's your offer for it?
    > I ahve wordstar for CP/M on various disks so if it needed it for the
    > PX-8 I could pipe it down the serial line. I dont use WS though I
    > have Vedit which I prefer.
    >

    > Allison

    Allison,

    I'd pay you 30 bucks plus shipping for it.

    Regards,
    Doug

  5. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:06:01 GMT, Doug_M
    wrote:

    >nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:53:18 GMT, Doug_M
    >> wrote:

    >>>Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    >>>editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Doug

    >> So happens I have one (wordstar rom). What's your offer for it?
    >> I ahve wordstar for CP/M on various disks so if it needed it for the
    >> PX-8 I could pipe it down the serial line. I dont use WS though I
    >> have Vedit which I prefer.
    >>

    >> Allison
    >>

    >Allison,
    >
    >I'd pay you 30 bucks plus shipping for it.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Doug

    sand an off line email to kb!gmx at arrl dot net the !=1

    allison

  6. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On 2006-07-21, Doug_M wrote:

    > Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    > editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?

    I recall using ZDE on my PX-8. Same keystroke controls as WordStar, but
    the compiled executable was small enough to run from the RAMDisk with
    room to spare for documents.

    I also probably have an alpha release of VALDOCS for the PX-8 here
    someplace, if I can find a disk drive to read my old 5-1/4" disks.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  7. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2006-07-21, Doug_M wrote:
    >

    >>Since I may never find a WordStar ROM, can anyone recommend a text
    >>editor written in MBASIC that I can type in?

    > I recall using ZDE on my PX-8. Same keystroke controls as WordStar, but
    > the compiled executable was small enough to run from the RAMDisk with
    > room to spare for documents.
    >
    > I also probably have an alpha release of VALDOCS for the PX-8 here
    > someplace, if I can find a disk drive to read my old 5-1/4" disks.

    I've got the appropriate serial cable on order so I can transfer files I
    find on the 'net to the PX-8. I've seen ZDE and VDE on various sites. I
    do like the idea of software on ROM though.

    Regards,
    Doug

  8. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On 2006-07-21, Doug_M wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >> I recall using ZDE on my PX-8. Same keystroke controls as WordStar, but
    >> the compiled executable was small enough to run from the RAMDisk with
    >> room to spare for documents.

    > I've got the appropriate serial cable on order so I can transfer files I
    > find on the 'net to the PX-8. I've seen ZDE and VDE on various sites. I
    > do like the idea of software on ROM though.

    You can always burn your own ROM, if you have the equipment.

    Digging back into my memory, I think when I used ZDE on my PX-8, I used
    a serial terminal for the display -- got the full 25x80 screen. You
    might have to hack ZDE to make it fit on the PX-8 LCD screen.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  9. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On 2006-07-22, John Thompson wrote:

    > You can always burn your own ROM, if you have the equipment.

    Many years ago, I did some software to format ROMs for the PX-8. It
    can be found at http://www.ridgenet.net/~rivie/pxfs.html. I've
    pretty much forgotten how it works and have lost the state diagrams
    that explain it all, however.

    There was something odd about the PX-8 ROM format that made it
    slightly different than just a CP/M disk image. If I recall
    correctly (and I probably don't), they discarded unused sectors
    in the final cluster of a file.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  10. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    John Thompson wrote:
    > You can always burn your own ROM, if you have the equipment.
    >
    > Digging back into my memory, I think when I used ZDE on my PX-8, I used
    > a serial terminal for the display -- got the full 25x80 screen. You
    > might have to hack ZDE to make it fit on the PX-8 LCD screen.

    I've been monitoring eBay for the right (cheap) eprom programmer to come
    along. I have a Tandy Model 102 as well which also takes ROMS so I could
    put a programmer to good use.

    Doug

  11. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Roger Ivie wrote:
    > On 2006-07-22, John Thompson wrote:
    >
    >>You can always burn your own ROM, if you have the equipment.

    > Many years ago, I did some software to format ROMs for the PX-8. It
    > can be found at http://www.ridgenet.net/~rivie/pxfs.html. I've
    > pretty much forgotten how it works and have lost the state diagrams
    > that explain it all, however.
    >
    > There was something odd about the PX-8 ROM format that made it
    > slightly different than just a CP/M disk image. If I recall
    > correctly (and I probably don't), they discarded unused sectors
    > in the final cluster of a file.

    I've read about that. It talks about that and Epsons software here:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/px8/proms.html

    Doug

  12. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On 2006-07-23, Doug_M wrote:
    > I've read about that. It talks about that and Epsons software here:
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/px8/proms.html

    Ah. Well, I didn't know software was available from Epson for this.
    I also didn't know there was anything special about the other drives; I
    was just working from the ROM images I had.

    Clearly, you should probably be using the EPSON software.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  13. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Roger Ivie wrote:
    > On 2006-07-23, Doug_M wrote:
    >
    >>I've read about that. It talks about that and Epsons software here:
    >>http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/px8/proms.html

    > Ah. Well, I didn't know software was available from Epson for this.
    > I also didn't know there was anything special about the other drives; I
    > was just working from the ROM images I had.
    >
    > Clearly, you should probably be using the EPSON software.

    No, that's cool Roger. Epson's software runs on the PX-8, yours is
    portable source code!

    Regards,
    Doug

  14. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:00:31 UTC, Doug_M
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just picked up a new (yes really, it is brand new) PX-8 from Star
    > Technology (http://www.notebooksupplies.com/epson/px8.html). I was
    > wondering if anyone had the Portable WordStar ROM that they'd be willing
    > to part with? A PF-10 disk drive would be cool too, but I understand
    > those were rare even during the PX-8's day.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Doug

    Software is here

    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...pson/info.html
    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...~fjkraan/comp/
    virtlibrary.html

    --
    Greetings

    Fritz Chwolka

  15. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Doug,

    As for a disk drive, I use the PX8VFS program available here:

    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...vfs/index.html

    It works very well for storing PX-8 files, if you have the serial cable.

    I may have an extra WS ROM too, if you haven't found one yet.

    --T

    Jam the computer...trash every lethal machine in the land! --Timothy Leary

  16. PX-4/8 ROM info. Was: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    More info on making PX-8 and PX-4 ROMs is at:
    http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/p...osrm2_4_67.pdf or
    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...osrm2_4_67.pdf
    It is scanned PDF, so quite large and not very accessible. But it is
    official Epson documentation.

    Fred Jan

  17. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Terry Yager wrote:
    > Doug,
    >
    > As for a disk drive, I use the PX8VFS program available here:
    >
    > http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...vfs/index.html
    >
    > It works very well for storing PX-8 files, if you have the serial cable.
    >
    > I may have an extra WS ROM too, if you haven't found one yet.
    >
    > --T
    >
    > Jam the computer...trash every lethal machine in the land! --Timothy Leary

    Terry,

    I plan to try that when my serial cable arrives (mail order).

    Thanks,
    Doug

    --
    Doug McComber
    http://www.VintageComputing.net

  18. Re: PX-4/8 ROM info. Was: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
    > More info on making PX-8 and PX-4 ROMs is at:
    > http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/p...osrm2_4_67.pdf or
    > http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...osrm2_4_67.pdf
    >
    > It is scanned PDF, so quite large and not very accessible. But it is
    > official Epson documentation.
    >
    > Fred Jan

    Thanks for the links Fred. I just bought an old Jameco EPROM programmer
    on eBay today so the fun will begin soon!

  19. Re: Epson PX-8 Geneva parts wanted

    Yah, it's great! Apart from having another computer booted-up, you'd never
    know that it ain't the real thang.

    "Doug_M" wrote in message
    > Terry Yager wrote:
    > > Doug,
    > >
    > > As for a disk drive, I use the PX8VFS program available here:

    http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/publi...vfs/index.html

    > > It works very well for storing PX-8 files, if you have the serial cable.
    > >
    > > I may have an extra WS ROM too, if you haven't found one yet.
    > >
    > > --T
    > >
    > > Jam the computer...trash every lethal machine in the land! --Timothy

    Leary

    > Terry,
    >
    > I plan to try that when my serial cable arrives (mail order).
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Doug
    >
    > --
    > Doug McComber