"retired" wrote:

> I'm glad I finally got a chance to visit the good old newsgroups. I suspect
> that there may be many like me that only do that in spurts over a period of
> months or years even. Likewise, I have been unable to enjoy all of my old
> CP/M equipment for several years. But, I certainly hope to change all of
> that during the coming year, after another move! I'm in the process of
> moving a few tons of stuff I had to hurriedly put in storage after my last
> semi-voluntary and time-critical move. I had to let about 8 tons of my
> years of collecting [hoarding] go to the crusher. Of course, the really
> 'good' stuff [the best of the CP/M, MP/M and ancient UNIX systems, docs,
> terminals and so forth] went in storage first which means I haven't been
> able to get to them. I hope they survived storage.

Hello, Greg!

One of the problems of the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup is the lack of any serious
long-term commitments by enough persons. So, I hope that, after your next
move, you will be able to become a regular.

As I have already written several times here, there is also a lack of a place
where to store old CP/M systems. From time to time, the only way to check an
old software is to actually run it on the original hardware. Such a case
happened recently to me, when I recreated the source code of 2 forgotten
Programming Languages, whose I/O were tied to a computer that I had not (and
whose interface cards are becoming rarer by the year). Eventually, it was made
to run on a simulator, but (so far) nobody has reported running them on the
original configuration: apparently, there does not seem to remain many people
with an ASR-33 TTY connected to a MITS Altair 8800...

So, if you will have lots of time and money after your next move, why not
considering setting up a place to store and maintain old CP/M systems?

This way, they would be outside your home, and (hopefully) they would remain
after your "last move".

In France, it is well-known that most serious collectors live in the
countryside, because the price of land (and buildings) are so expensive in
cities.

(In the USA, one recurrent problem is the endless moving of people. Me, I live
in a village where my family has been living since an easy-to-remember date:
1717... Soon 3 centuries without moving.)

Yours Sincerely,
"French Luser"