Plee to Northstar owners - CP/M

This is a discussion on Plee to Northstar owners - CP/M ; Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using this thing. Thanks Chris...

  1. Plee to Northstar owners

    Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    this thing.

    Thanks

    Chris

  2. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    There is a guy on E-Bay who sells them for $10. Might be an earlier
    version, single density only, I don't know. The real problem is finding
    hard sector 5" media.

    Chris wrote:

    > Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    > density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    > this thing.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris

  3. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    "Barry Watzman" wrote:

    > (...) The real problem is finding hard sector 5" media.

    I have 2 N* Horizons. When I asked to a floppy disk maker, he was so happy to
    get rid of some of them, that I got a huge discount... So, I think that some
    opportunities exist to get thousands of hard-sectored floppies very cheaply.
    Since I live in Europe, I cannot re-sell you one or two hundreds: investigate
    in your country.

    (The (British) Science Museum has about 25 N* Horizons stored in "Bletchey
    Park". I proposed them to create a demo showing what they could do (better...)
    when the IBM Clown appeared: no answer.... Let us hope that they won't "dump"
    them when someone will think that they are worthless...)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  4. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:15:39 -0500, "Chris" wrote:

    >Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    >density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    >this thing.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Chris

    If you can find media I can put stuff on it. I have two working
    systems but no spare media.

    Allison

  5. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > There is a guy on E-Bay who sells them for $10. Might be an earlier
    > version, single density only, I don't know. The real problem is finding
    > hard sector 5" media.

    I sell hard-sectored 5.25" media now and then.

    --
    David Griffith

  6. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    I would like to take you up on your offer. Can you e-mail me directly.

    Chris
    wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:15:39 -0500, "Chris" wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    >>density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    >>this thing.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>

    > If you can find media I can put stuff on it. I have two working
    > systems but no spare media.
    >
    > Allison

  7. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 19:24:51 -0500, "Chris" wrote:

    >I would like to take you up on your offer. Can you e-mail me directly.

    You have the problem of finding media. I haven't looked in a while
    so it's possible, just not run of the mill. I use an alternate
    storage scheme on my NS* systems (IDE and 3.5" floppy controller).

    Allison

    >Chris
    > wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:15:39 -0500, "Chris" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    >>>density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    >>>this thing.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Chris
    >>>

    >> If you can find media I can put stuff on it. I have two working
    >> systems but no spare media.
    >>
    >> Allison

  8. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    Hi
    I made a simple punch from a bad SA400 I had. I take 360K disk
    and punch the extra 10 holes.
    It is slow but I only need a few disk. I use them on my H89 and Poly
    8813.
    I have a N* and some software disk but haven't had time to play too
    much with them
    yet.
    Dwight

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > There is a guy on E-Bay who sells them for $10. Might be an earlier
    > version, single density only, I don't know. The real problem is finding
    > hard sector 5" media.
    >

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone help me find a boot disk for a Northstar Horizon? I have double
    > > density drives and I'm looking for N* DOS 5. I would love to start using
    > > this thing.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Chris

  9. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    Here in the US, Pat Swayne tried to find them and could not. He was
    able to (and did) get some NEW ones custom made.

    They were $2 (Two US Dollars).

    PER DISKETTE.

    French Luser wrote:
    > "Barry Watzman" wrote:
    >

    >>(...) The real problem is finding hard sector 5" media.

    > I have 2 N* Horizons. When I asked to a floppy disk maker, he was so happy to
    > get rid of some of them, that I got a huge discount... So, I think that some
    > opportunities exist to get thousands of hard-sectored floppies very cheaply.
    > Since I live in Europe, I cannot re-sell you one or two hundreds: investigate
    > in your country.
    >
    > (The (British) Science Museum has about 25 N* Horizons stored in "Bletchey
    > Park". I proposed them to create a demo showing what they could do (better...)
    > when the IBM Clown appeared: no answer.... Let us hope that they won't "dump"
    > them when someone will think that they are worthless...)
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > "French Luser"

  10. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:23:23 GMT, Barry Watzman
    wrote:

    >Here in the US, Pat Swayne tried to find them and could not. He was
    >able to (and did) get some NEW ones custom made.
    >
    >They were $2 (Two US Dollars).
    >
    >PER DISKETTE.

    My first box of media (happend to be NS*) cost around the same as
    Soft sector back then or $25US per box of 10 (those were those 1977
    dollars too!). I don't remember5.25" media dropping to $1.50/disk
    until around 84ish.

    So 2$/disk for special build media now is cheap.

    Allison

    >French Luser wrote:
    >> "Barry Watzman" wrote:
    >>

    >>>(...) The real problem is finding hard sector 5" media.

    >> I have 2 N* Horizons. When I asked to a floppy disk maker, he was so happy to
    >> get rid of some of them, that I got a huge discount... So, I think that some
    >> opportunities exist to get thousands of hard-sectored floppies very cheaply.
    >> Since I live in Europe, I cannot re-sell you one or two hundreds: investigate
    >> in your country.
    >>
    >> (The (British) Science Museum has about 25 N* Horizons stored in "Bletchey
    >> Park". I proposed them to create a demo showing what they could do (better...)
    >> when the IBM Clown appeared: no answer.... Let us hope that they won't "dump"
    >> them when someone will think that they are worthless...)
    >>
    >> Yours Sincerely,
    >> "French Luser"

  11. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > Here in the US, Pat Swayne tried to find them and could not. He was
    > able to (and did) get some NEW ones custom made.
    >
    > They were $2 (Two US Dollars).
    >
    > PER DISKETTE.
    >

    > French Luser wrote:
    > > "Barry Watzman" wrote:
    > >

    > >>(...) The real problem is finding hard sector 5" media.

    The person who had the hard-sectored disks produced was Patrick RIGNEY
    and I think he still has plenty left. You can reach him through the
    SEBHC mailing list or the Vintage Computer Marketplace -
    http://marketplace.vintage.org

    Jack

  12. Re: Plee to Northstar owners

    I agree it's a matter of perspective. I paid $10 per diskette for disks
    back in the 1970's, and $5 per disk (including both 8" and 5.25") in the
    early 1980's. But by 1990, I was buying disks (both 5.25" and 3.5") for
    ten cents. So you can (and we do) look at this two ways: One way is
    that $2 per diskette is "reasonable", and the other way is that it's absurd.

    Take your choice.

    nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 19:23:23 GMT, Barry Watzman
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Here in the US, Pat Swayne tried to find them and could not. He was
    >>able to (and did) get some NEW ones custom made.
    >>
    >>They were $2 (Two US Dollars).
    >>
    >>PER DISKETTE.

    > My first box of media (happend to be NS*) cost around the same as
    > Soft sector back then or $25US per box of 10 (those were those 1977
    > dollars too!). I don't remember5.25" media dropping to $1.50/disk
    > until around 84ish.
    >
    > So 2$/disk for special build media now is cheap.
    >
    > Allison
    >

    >>French Luser wrote:

    >>>I have 2 N* Horizons. When I asked to a floppy disk maker, he was so happy to
    >>>get rid of some of them, that I got a huge discount... So, I think that some
    >>>opportunities exist to get thousands of hard-sectored floppies very cheaply.
    >>>Since I live in Europe, I cannot re-sell you one or two hundreds: investigate
    >>>in your country.
    >>>
    >>>(The (British) Science Museum has about 25 N* Horizons stored in "Bletchey
    >>>Park". I proposed them to create a demo showing what they could do (better...)
    >>>when the IBM Clown appeared: no answer.... Let us hope that they won't "dump"
    >>>them when someone will think that they are worthless...)
    >>>
    >>>Yours Sincerely,
    >>>"French Luser"

+ Reply to Thread