CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database) - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database) - CP/M ; I'm looking for a contest logger to run on a CP/M-80 (NOT CP/M86). I'm not looking for DbaseII, FMS or other free form database, I have them. I am looking to see if there were any for purpose programs out ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    I'm looking for a contest logger to run on a CP/M-80 (NOT CP/M86).
    I'm not looking for DbaseII, FMS or other free form database, I have
    them. I am looking to see if there were any for purpose programs
    out there. The Ham community did this before and I'm just looking
    for that arcive containing it. Google has not been helpful.

    Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep
    a dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries. Everything
    else runs on batteries for days but, not the wintel laptop. I have a
    few CP/M systems that run on batteries for days so why not.

    I may end up writing my own. but I figure if theres something out
    there why not check first.

    Allison

  2. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > I'm looking for a contest logger to run on a CP/M-80 (NOT CP/M86).
    > I'm not looking for DbaseII, FMS or other free form database, I have
    > them. I am looking to see if there were any for purpose programs
    > out there. The Ham community did this before and I'm just looking
    > for that arcive containing it. Google has not been helpful.

    > Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep
    > a dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries. Everything
    > else runs on batteries for days but, not the wintel laptop. I have a
    > few CP/M systems that run on batteries for days so why not.

    > I may end up writing my own. but I figure if theres something out
    > there why not check first.

    I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    Creek CP/M CD.

    --
    David Griffith

  3. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:38:37 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    Griffith) wrote:

    >nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a contest logger to run on a CP/M-80 (NOT CP/M86).
    >> I'm not looking for DbaseII, FMS or other free form database, I have
    >> them. I am looking to see if there were any for purpose programs
    >> out there. The Ham community did this before and I'm just looking
    >> for that arcive containing it. Google has not been helpful.

    >> Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep
    >> a dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries. Everything
    >> else runs on batteries for days but, not the wintel laptop. I have a
    >> few CP/M systems that run on batteries for days so why not.

    >> I may end up writing my own. but I figure if theres something out
    >> there why not check first.

    >I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    >Creek CP/M CD.

    Me too and I have the CD but I havent found it yet. Likely in one of
    the SIG compendiums deeply burried.

    Allison

  4. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >>I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    >>Creek CP/M CD.

    > Me too and I have the CD but I havent found it yet. Likely in one of
    > the SIG compendiums deeply burried.

    Are you missing the CD? I can send you a copy (since it's freely
    redistributable).

    --
    David Griffith

  5. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    *nospam* wrote on Tue, 06-07-04 01:38:
    >Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep a
    >dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries.

    This may well be anathema in this group, but have you taken a look at
    the HP LX? It is a handhelt with a full keyboard and runs MS-DOS 5.0.
    Three weeks on two AA cells have frequently been reported by users. I
    carry mine all the time: Lotus 123, calendar, address book, editor,
    databases, two Collins dictionaries and much more.

  6. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:26:14 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    Griffith) wrote:

    >nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >>>I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    >>>Creek CP/M CD.

    >> Me too and I have the CD but I havent found it yet. Likely in one of
    >> the SIG compendiums deeply burried.

    >Are you missing the CD? I can send you a copy (since it's freely
    >redistributable).

    Not needed I have the CD. It's a tough search as there are files in
    compressed directories for some of the SIG collections.

    Allison

  7. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:06:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel Berger)
    wrote:

    >*nospam* wrote on Tue, 06-07-04 01:38:
    >>Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep a
    >>dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries.

    >This may well be anathema in this group, but have you taken a look at
    >the HP LX? It is a handhelt with a full keyboard and runs MS-DOS 5.0.
    >Three weeks on two AA cells have frequently been reported by users. I
    >carry mine all the time: Lotus 123, calendar, address book, editor,
    >databases, two Collins dictionaries and much more.

    If I could find one... and could pay for it.

    Actually I have at least two dosboxes that run fine on 12V at under an
    amp of current but supporting the tube is then the problem as even my
    smallest montor also wants an amp at 12v. My laptops are not much
    better though they impose oddball voltage needs.

    On the other hand I have a Epson PX8, a T100 and a homebrew CMOS
    Z80 system, they all run on internal batteries for long periods. They
    all have the needed display and keyboard. The T100 does not have
    mass storage so it's least likely to be used makes an ok terminal.

    Considering the size of the logfile (largest ever was 40K) and what
    needs to be done this is resonable for something small.

    Allison

  8. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    Hello, Axel!

    > This may well be anathema in this group, but have you taken a look at
    > the HP LX? It is a handhelt with a full keyboard and runs MS-DOS 5.0.
    > Three weeks on two AA cells have frequently been reported by users. I
    > carry mine all the time: Lotus 123, calendar, address book, editor,
    > databases, two Collins dictionaries and much more.

    It has been a long dream of mine to have an HP 200LX running CP/M-86 Plus...
    (Else, the 2 programs that I used most under CP/M Plus are WS4 and Mallard-86
    BASIC, and both are available under MS-DOS.)

    Unfortunately, I haven't found any for sale in my area (seems they were
    limited to the richest areas of Paris).

    Now, with eBay-France, I see that they are starting to sell at 300 Euros, so
    maybe I will finally be able to have one?

    By the way, question: since I am a touch-typist (that is to say: I type with
    all my 10 fingers): how is the keyboard of the HP LX? (I know that one program
    I use, VDE, already exists on the HP LX). For me, the most important part of a
    computer is its keyboard. I am appalled by the kind of keyboard that are now
    made for the current IBM Clowns.

    By the way, another question: since I need to read the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup,
    would it be possible to read it from an HP LX? This way, I would no longer be
    dependent upon the schedule of the cybercafe. Allison uses Forte "Free Agent".
    I tried it: it was very unusual. (In particular, I did not find a button "mark
    all the thread as read" for threads dealing with a subject that does no
    interest me.) Apparently, it is still running under MS-DOS/DR-DOS, so this
    could be a possibility for me. (I have heard that you can connect modules to
    the HP LX to send/receive e-mail messages.)

    (Funny remark: So, you carry 2 Collins dictionaries in your handheld? Me, I
    have my French, English, and Spanish dictionaries in my head... I ***HATE***
    those word-processors by Micro**** that change what you type. I prefer WS4,
    and to re-read what I have written before sending it.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  9. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    *French Luser* wrote on Thu, 06-07-06 11:03:
    >Now, with eBay-France, I see that they are starting to sell at 300
    >Euros, so maybe I will finally be able to have one?

    An insider hint: Look for the 700 LX. The aestetic purists call it
    huge, ugly and clunky, its users swear by it. As I still use my Nokia
    2110 as my main mobile anyway I like the way it slots into the HP. I
    can fax, log into BBSs, type SMs on a real keyboard and even read and
    write email through TCP/IP and pop/smtp with software I have not
    installed. And of course it is sold very much cheaper than the 200.
    At 300 euros you might take a look at what's on offer outside France,
    unless you want the French keyboard.
    The HP has a very active and helpful user's mailing list.

    >since I am a touch-typist (that is to say: I type with all my 10
    >fingers): how is the keyboard of the HP LX?

    Typists like you insist that after a little getting used to it is
    nearly perfect. I am of the two finger persuasion myself, so couldn't
    comment.
    N.B: How's your eyesight? At 80x25 the wrting gets a bit small, the
    built-in programs run at 64x16 and for taking notes I often use the
    40xsomething mode.

    >would it be possible to read it from an HP LX?

    Yes, absolutely. The is very good software around.

    >Me, I have my French, English, and Spanish dictionaries in my head.

    I envy you. Although my English is quite good, at least that's what I
    believe, there still is the odd word I need to look up. On the active
    side the word I'm looking for do not always spring to mind immediately.
    And not speaking either French or Italian but just able to scan easy
    texts looking up unknown words can come handy too, how about French
    menues? One of the two is the English to German, French, Spanish, and
    Italian and back the other the more complete English/English dictionary
    and thesaurus. Both pure DOS and both frequently used on all my
    machines.

    >(I have heard that you can connect modules to the HP LX to send/receive
    >e-mail messages.)

    Modules? You need software of course and it has a standard PCMCIA-slot
    for modems etc. WLAN and others won't work as there is a 100 mA power
    restriction, but there are ways to use external power if you really
    must.

  10. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:50:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel Berger)
    wrote:

    >*French Luser* wrote on Thu, 06-07-06 11:03:
    >>Now, with eBay-France, I see that they are starting to sell at 300
    >>Euros, so maybe I will finally be able to have one?

    >An insider hint: Look for the 700 LX. The aestetic purists call it
    >huge, ugly and clunky, its users swear by it. As I still use my Nokia
    >2110 as my main mobile anyway I like the way it slots into the HP. I
    >can fax, log into BBSs, type SMs on a real keyboard and even read and
    >write email through TCP/IP and pop/smtp with software I have not
    >installed. And of course it is sold very much cheaper than the 200.
    >At 300 euros you might take a look at what's on offer outside France,
    >unless you want the French keyboard.
    >The HP has a very active and helpful user's mailing list.
    >
    >>since I am a touch-typist (that is to say: I type with all my 10
    >>fingers): how is the keyboard of the HP LX?

    >Typists like you insist that after a little getting used to it is
    >nearly perfect. I am of the two finger persuasion myself, so couldn't
    >comment.
    >N.B: How's your eyesight? At 80x25 the wrting gets a bit small, the
    >built-in programs run at 64x16 and for taking notes I often use the
    >40xsomething mode.
    >
    >>would it be possible to read it from an HP LX?

    >Yes, absolutely. The is very good software around.
    >
    >>Me, I have my French, English, and Spanish dictionaries in my head.

    >I envy you. Although my English is quite good, at least that's what I
    >believe, there still is the odd word I need to look up. On the active
    >side the word I'm looking for do not always spring to mind immediately.
    >And not speaking either French or Italian but just able to scan easy
    >texts looking up unknown words can come handy too, how about French
    >menues? One of the two is the English to German, French, Spanish, and
    >Italian and back the other the more complete English/English dictionary
    >and thesaurus. Both pure DOS and both frequently used on all my
    >machines.
    >
    >>(I have heard that you can connect modules to the HP LX to send/receive
    >>e-mail messages.)

    >Modules? You need software of course and it has a standard PCMCIA-slot
    >for modems etc. WLAN and others won't work as there is a 100 mA power
    >restriction, but there are ways to use external power if you really
    >must.

    Send me an HPLX and we are almost back on topic for CP/M
    based software that does ham call logging. I'll allow dos in this
    case as then I can run a z80-CP/M emulator.

    There were CP/M z80 machines that came before that and those
    would be my first choice.

    Allison

  11. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:50:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel Berger)
    > wrote:
    > Send me an HPLX and we are almost back on topic for CP/M
    > based software that does ham call logging. I'll allow dos in this
    > case as then I can run a z80-CP/M emulator.
    >
    > There were CP/M z80 machines that came before that and those
    > would be my first choice.

    My son's got a PX-8 he'd probably sell if that'll do it for you. Last time we
    checked (a year or so back) it still ran for a couple of hours on the original
    battery pack.

    - Bill

  12. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:04:54 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:50:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel Berger)
    >> wrote:
    >> Send me an HPLX and we are almost back on topic for CP/M
    >> based software that does ham call logging. I'll allow dos in this
    >> case as then I can run a z80-CP/M emulator.
    >>
    >> There were CP/M z80 machines that came before that and those
    >> would be my first choice.

    >My son's got a PX-8 he'd probably sell if that'll do it for you. Last time we
    >checked (a year or so back) it still ran for a couple of hours on the original
    >battery pack.

    Humm... Must not have read the thread at all. I have both PX-8 with
    120k ramdisk wedge and a tandy T100. I also have a homebrewd
    Z80 in all CMOS. MY PX-8 runs for days on a good charge. The T100
    runs a long time on flashlight batteries and the HB system is also
    very low power.

    Appreciate the offer. The thread however is I'm looking for software
    for CP/M to do ham call logging. Someone suggested an HP LX
    but I don't have one nor plan to buy one.

    Besides if I want to run dos I do have laptops and small dos systems
    that suck up power like no tommorrow compare to the PX-8.
    As I a told someone if you are carrying enough battery to run it for
    24hours and not me I have a system. I wish to run the computer on
    something the size of a 5A gell cell rather than a 80ah trolling
    battery.

    Allison

    > - Bill

  13. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    Hello, Axel!

    >>Now, with eBay-France, I see that they are starting to sell at 300
    >>Euros, so maybe I will finally be able to have one?

    >An insider hint: Look for the 700 LX. The aestetic purists call it
    >huge, ugly and clunky, its users swear by it.

    Many thanks for the counsel.

    >N.B: How's your eyesight? At 80x25 the wrting gets a bit small, the
    >built-in programs run at 64x16 and for taking notes I often use the
    >40xsomething mode.

    My eyesight is poor, but sharp (normally, after 45 you need another
    kind of glasses but, in my case, it is so small that I keep using
    normal glasses for near-sighted people).
    If I remember well, one German changes the film behind the LCD
    characters, so that it can "glow" on demand, instead of reflecting
    light. This should enhance the contrast.

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  14. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep a
    > dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries.

    20 years ago, my laptop was a Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100. Full size
    keyboard, large display characters, small, light, reliable, etc. It ran
    on four AA cells for 20+hours. I also had a Kodak Diconix battery
    operated inkjet printer. I even had a 10"x6" solar panel that would run
    the computer indefinitely, as long as there was sunlight, or recharge
    the computer and printer when not in use. I had a memory expansion
    module that basically creates a RAMdisk for mass storage.

    I still have it, and it still works (though the printer has died and
    gone to heaven). I still use it occasionally as a data logger, notepad,
    test fixture controller, etc.

    It strikes me as strange that there is no modern system that can "beat
    it" for low power and ease of use. All modern laptops are vastly more
    powerful, but also consume vastly more power. There are lots of
    low-power "toy" computers, but they have tiny keyboards and displays.

    What we really need is a micropower computer with full-size keyboard and
    display! I don't know of one available new. Does anyone?
    --
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget the perfect offering

  15. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:18:57 GMT, Lee Hart
    wrote:

    >nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep a
    >> dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries.

    >20 years ago, my laptop was a Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100. Full size
    >keyboard, large display characters, small, light, reliable, etc. It ran
    >on four AA cells for 20+hours. I also had a Kodak Diconix battery
    >operated inkjet printer. I even had a 10"x6" solar panel that would run
    >the computer indefinitely, as long as there was sunlight, or recharge
    >the computer and printer when not in use. I had a memory expansion
    >module that basically creates a RAMdisk for mass storage.
    >
    >I still have it, and it still works (though the printer has died and
    >gone to heaven). I still use it occasionally as a data logger, notepad,
    >test fixture controller, etc.
    >
    >It strikes me as strange that there is no modern system that can "beat
    >it" for low power and ease of use. All modern laptops are vastly more
    >powerful, but also consume vastly more power. There are lots of
    >low-power "toy" computers, but they have tiny keyboards and displays.

    therein lies the problem. Smallest useful screen is 40x8. Even then
    it's a bit cramped. However for the radio contract logging I have
    in mind that would work very well.

    >What we really need is a micropower computer with full-size keyboard and
    >display! I don't know of one available new. Does anyone?

    I've been working on exactly that. I have the CPU core and mass
    storage worked out and operational but the display is a nut to be
    cracked. Right now I use the T100 or the PX8 as the terminal for it.

    The display can take two paths. Copy one of the 16x64 displays and
    use a video monitor like those used in cars/vans for DVD players.
    I don't know if these displays will do 80x24.

    The alternate is older mono 640x480 laptop displays. The timing to
    drive them is simple enough but the logic for memory and display is
    rather strange. They drive as two "parallel" 640x240 displays so the
    upper half and lower half share the drive timing but seperate data.
    Makes for a lot of duplicate logic and higher power needs. The color
    displays are hard to find data on.

    Allison

    >--
    >Ring the bells that still can ring
    >Forget the perfect offering
    >There is a crack in everything
    >That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

  16. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    wrote in message
    > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:04:54 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    > wrote:
    > >My son's got a PX-8 he'd probably sell if that'll do it for you. Last time

    we
    > >checked (a year or so back) it still ran for a couple of hours on the

    original
    > >battery pack.

    > Humm... Must not have read the thread at all.

    Rather, I didn't read ALL of the thread.

    > Appreciate the offer. The thread however is I'm looking for software
    > for CP/M to do ham call logging.

    Yes, I got that part. I seemed in the last couple of messages that the
    discussion was moving to systems which would run for a long time on DC (thus
    the LX). I've got two Poquet's here which, with new batteries, run for many
    days.

    > Besides if I want to run dos I do have laptops and small dos systems
    > that suck up power like no tommorrow compare to the PX-8.
    > As I a told someone if you are carrying enough battery to run it for
    > 24hours and not me I have a system. I wish to run the computer on
    > something the size of a 5A gell cell rather than a 80ah trolling
    > battery.

    That's what I'd had in mind with the offer. We ran the PX-8 for (I think) over
    a week on some batteries similar to those used in the blinking lights they put
    around holes in the road.

    - Bill

  17. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    wrote in message
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:38:37 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    > Griffith) wrote:
    >
    > >nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > >> I'm looking for a contest logger to run on a CP/M-80 (NOT CP/M86).
    > >> I'm not looking for DbaseII, FMS or other free form database, I have
    > >> them. I am looking to see if there were any for purpose programs
    > >> out there. The Ham community did this before and I'm just looking
    > >> for that arcive containing it. Google has not been helpful.

    > >> Why? Because I'm tired to running AC power in the field to keep
    > >> a dosbox (laptop) running because they eat batteries. Everything
    > >> else runs on batteries for days but, not the wintel laptop. I have a
    > >> few CP/M systems that run on batteries for days so why not.

    > >> I may end up writing my own. but I figure if theres something out
    > >> there why not check first.

    > >I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    > >Creek CP/M CD.

    > Me too and I have the CD but I havent found it yet. Likely in one of
    > the SIG compendiums deeply burried.
    >
    > Allison

    On the CP/M CD, in directory \cpm\hamradio there is a file, list-log.lbr
    that contains two squeezed files, hamlog.bqs and hamlog.dqc.

    "HAMLOG.BAS is an Amateur Radio logging program. It
    can be used for contests or day to day logging. It
    is patterned after CONTEST.BAS by W0XI which was
    modified by KA5OIT and called SUPERDUP.BAS."

    Perhaps that basic program will work for you?

  18. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:19:44 GMT, "Michael C Finn"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:38:37 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    >> Griffith) wrote:

    >> >I seem to remember stumbling onto something like that in the Walnut
    >> >Creek CP/M CD.

    >> Me too and I have the CD but I havent found it yet. Likely in one of
    >> the SIG compendiums deeply burried.
    >>
    >> Allison
    >>

    >On the CP/M CD, in directory \cpm\hamradio there is a file, list-log.lbr
    >that contains two squeezed files, hamlog.bqs and hamlog.dqc.
    >
    >"HAMLOG.BAS is an Amateur Radio logging program. It
    >can be used for contests or day to day logging. It
    >is patterned after CONTEST.BAS by W0XI which was
    >modified by KA5OIT and called SUPERDUP.BAS."
    >
    >Perhaps that basic program will work for you?

    Found them. They may do it or at least be a foundation.

    Thanx, I'd been looking at that disk and missing them.

    Allison

  19. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:30:50 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:04:54 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    >> wrote:
    >> >My son's got a PX-8 he'd probably sell if that'll do it for you. Last time

    >we
    >> >checked (a year or so back) it still ran for a couple of hours on the

    >original
    >> >battery pack.

    >> Humm... Must not have read the thread at all.

    >Rather, I didn't read ALL of the thread.
    >
    >> Appreciate the offer. The thread however is I'm looking for software
    >> for CP/M to do ham call logging.

    >Yes, I got that part. I seemed in the last couple of messages that the
    >discussion was moving to systems which would run for a long time on DC (thus
    >the LX). I've got two Poquet's here which, with new batteries, run for many
    >days.
    >
    >> Besides if I want to run dos I do have laptops and small dos systems
    >> that suck up power like no tommorrow compare to the PX-8.
    >> As I a told someone if you are carrying enough battery to run it for
    >> 24hours and not me I have a system. I wish to run the computer on
    >> something the size of a 5A gell cell rather than a 80ah trolling
    >> battery.

    >That's what I'd had in mind with the offer. We ran the PX-8 for (I think) over
    >a week on some batteries similar to those used in the blinking lights they put
    >around holes in the road.
    >
    > - Bill

    My PX8 has relatively new nicads and runs for very long time on those.
    I just replaced them again a year ago, internal, the sub-Cs and the 4
    AA sized ones in the 120k wedge.
    It also accepts a RS 12V cigar lighter to 6V adaptor very happily.

    My only pet peve with the PX8 is the display has a very narrow viewing
    angle for best contrast. But it's a great machine and holds up well.

    Allison

  20. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    wrote in message
    > On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:30:50 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    > wrote:
    > >That's what I'd had in mind with the offer. We ran the PX-8 for (I think)

    over
    > >a week on some batteries similar to those used in the blinking lights they

    put
    > >around holes in the road.

    > My PX8 has relatively new nicads and runs for very long time on those.
    > I just replaced them again a year ago, internal, the sub-Cs and the 4
    > AA sized ones in the 120k wedge.

    We don't have the wedge. Do you happen to have at hand a source for the sub-C
    batteries? This machine has the original batteries and runs three or four
    hours on a charge. I thought it was one or two, but my son recalled that we
    started it and my Pentium based laptop, both fully charged, up at the same time
    and the PX-8 ran three or four times as long, and that laptop killed it's
    batteries after about an hour.

    > My only pet peve with the PX8 is the display has a very narrow viewing
    > angle for best contrast. But it's a great machine and holds up well.

    He was using it for keeping a journal of sorts. So, in actual practice, it ran
    for a week or more on a charge, since he usually used it for only ten or twenty
    minutes a day. We observed the same issue with the display. He had to be
    careful where he put the light over his bed and how he positioned the machine
    relative to it so it would be easy to read.

    - Bill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast