CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database) - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database) - CP/M ; On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:56:24 GMT, nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote: >>On the CP/M CD, in directory \cpm\hamradio there is a file, list-log.lbr >>that contains two squeezed files, hamlog.bqs and hamlog.dqc. >> >>"HAMLOG.BAS is an Amateur Radio logging program. It >>can be ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:56:24 GMT, nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    >>On the CP/M CD, in directory \cpm\hamradio there is a file, list-log.lbr
    >>that contains two squeezed files, hamlog.bqs and hamlog.dqc.
    >>
    >>"HAMLOG.BAS is an Amateur Radio logging program. It
    >>can be used for contests or day to day logging. It
    >>is patterned after CONTEST.BAS by W0XI which was
    >>modified by KA5OIT and called SUPERDUP.BAS."
    >>
    >>Perhaps that basic program will work for you?

    After looking at the file (DE-lbr and unsq using several different
    tools) the .bas file is broken (trash at end and maybe missing
    section?). Enough may be intact to use it or figure out the missing
    bits (if any).

    I've encountered that several times on the WC CDrom. The files
    were obviously bad when they archived them prior to mastering.

    Allison

  2. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:23:18 -0400, "William J. Leary Jr."
    wrote:

    >We don't have the wedge. Do you happen to have at hand a source for the sub-C
    >batteries? This machine has the original batteries and runs three or four
    >hours on a charge. I thought it was one or two, but my son recalled that we
    >started it and my Pentium based laptop, both fully charged, up at the same time
    >and the PX-8 ran three or four times as long, and that laptop killed it's
    >batteries after about an hour.

    Found them at a hamdest battery seller. Ther are no shortage of
    internet suppliers of sub-C batteries with solder tabs on them.
    Get tabbed cells to make your pack (four needed) they should cost no
    more than 3-4$ each.

    >> My only pet peve with the PX8 is the display has a very narrow viewing
    >> angle for best contrast. But it's a great machine and holds up well.

    >He was using it for keeping a journal of sorts. So, in actual practice, it ran
    >for a week or more on a charge, since he usually used it for only ten or twenty
    >minutes a day. We observed the same issue with the display. He had to be
    >careful where he put the light over his bed and how he positioned the machine
    >relative to it so it would be easy to read.

    With good bats I used the auto off feature and controls in basic and
    it would run about 100-200hours of data logging over a two week period
    before good nicads would fade. Never got further than that due to
    nicads self discharge outrunning the power used by the machine.
    I've also used it off a 7Ah 6V gell cell for almost a month of
    automated intermittent logging.

    The Tandy T100 used 4 AA alkaline bats to run it for days as well.
    The screen is bigger and easier to read but lower resolution.
    The good part is cheap common cells run it. Writers loved it.

    Both the PX8 and T100 had a fairly decent keyboard.

    Allison
    > - Bill

  3. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    Lee Hart wrote:
    >> What we really need is a micropower computer with full-size keyboard
    >> and display! I don't know of one available new. Does anyone?

    Allison replied:
    > I've been working on exactly that. I have the CPU core and mass
    > storage worked out and operational but the display is a nut to be
    > cracked. Right now I use the T100 or the PX8 as the terminal for it.

    I've looked for a solution to this problem on and off as well.

    The entire TRS-80 model 100 runs on 6v at 60ma. Its 40x8 LCD display is
    about 10ma of this. There is no backlight, which helps enormously to
    conserve power.

    Normal CRT monitors like you find in a Kaypro take around 12v at 1.5a.
    The lowest CRT I've found is a Motorola 5" black-and-white TV that only
    uses 9v at 100ma. 40x24 characters are readable, but small, and it
    washes out in sunlight.

    The lowest power full-screen LCD I've found is a "clear" glass panel
    about 6" x 10" that you lay on an overhead projector to display computer
    data on a big screen on the wall. This is an old one, EGA,
    black-and-white only, with a few shades of grey. It looks pretty good
    with a sheet of bright white paper behind it to reflect room light. It
    accepts standard EGA video and draws 5v at 500ma, much of it from the
    normal LSTTL chips used.

    Technologically speaking, there is no reason why you can't have a
    large-screen black-and-white LCD that uses very little power, and uses
    ambient light rather than a backlight. But there's not much call for
    them in the market, so they're rare. Most customers don't care about
    power, and want brightness, color, etc.
    --
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget the perfect offering

  4. Re: CP/M HAm radio contest logger (database)

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 05:11:58 GMT, Lee Hart
    wrote:

    >Lee Hart wrote:
    >The entire TRS-80 model 100 runs on 6v at 60ma. Its 40x8 LCD display is
    >about 10ma of this. There is no backlight, which helps enormously to
    >conserve power.

    It's a good design. History has proven that.

    >Normal CRT monitors like you find in a Kaypro take around 12v at 1.5a.
    >The lowest CRT I've found is a Motorola 5" black-and-white TV that only
    >uses 9v at 100ma. 40x24 characters are readable, but small, and it
    >washes out in sunlight.

    I have two a 5" white and 8" green monitor chassis and they are 600ma
    and 850ma respectively at 12V. Both do 80x24 and are high brightness.

    >The lowest power full-screen LCD I've found is a "clear" glass panel
    >about 6" x 10" that you lay on an overhead projector to display computer
    >data on a big screen on the wall. This is an old one, EGA,
    >black-and-white only, with a few shades of grey. It looks pretty good
    >with a sheet of bright white paper behind it to reflect room light. It
    >accepts standard EGA video and draws 5v at 500ma, much of it from the
    >normal LSTTL chips used.

    I have a monochrome non backlit 640x480 from and old dell laptop.
    It's large and the pannel it self is very low power ( a few mils).
    The bulk logic, ram counter chain and some intelligence to organize it
    would be where the power is.

    >Technologically speaking, there is no reason why you can't have a
    >large-screen black-and-white LCD that uses very little power, and uses
    >ambient light rather than a backlight. But there's not much call for
    >them in the market, so they're rare. Most customers don't care about
    >power, and want brightness, color, etc.

    Roger that!

    Allison

    >--
    >Ring the bells that still can ring
    >Forget the perfect offering
    >There is a crack in everything
    >That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2