Single board Z80 CPM systems - CP/M

This is a discussion on Single board Z80 CPM systems - CP/M ; Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80 support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and flash memory instead of floppies. My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80
    support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and
    flash memory instead of floppies.

    My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big Board which I bought new in
    1981. Sadly I threw it out years ago and now in my old age I have a hankering to
    play with this retro stuff all over again.

  2. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Mike Farber wrote:
    > Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80
    > support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and
    > flash memory instead of floppies.

    > My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big Board which I bought new
    > in 1981. Sadly I threw it out years ago and now in my old age I have a
    > hankering to play with this retro stuff all over again.

    The P112 is such a board, though there are some differences. One, it
    carries a Z180, which is fully backwards compatible with the Z80. Two,
    there isn't a CP/M-80 port to it[1]. Instead it runs ZSDOS, an enhanced
    clone. Though the board is a single-board computer, it has a stack-up
    style expansion port. IDE is supported through a board that fits the
    expansion port. Flash memory is supported through modern IDE-to-flash
    converters. Up to four floppy drives are driven from the main board.
    More boards such as a D/A and ethernet are in the works.

    Visit http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/proj/p112/ to see if this is
    what you want. It's available either as a kit or fully-assembled.

    [1] Now and then I think that it would be nice to have a port of
    straight CP/M to the P112 for completeness.

    --
    David Griffith

  3. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:08:10 +0000, Dave Griffith wrote:

    > The P112 is such a board, though there are some differences. One, it
    > carries a Z180, which is fully backwards compatible with the Z80. Two,
    > there isn't a CP/M-80 port to it[1]. Instead it runs ZSDOS, an enhanced
    > clone. Though the board is a single-board computer, it has a stack-up
    > style expansion port. IDE is supported through a board that fits the
    > expansion port. Flash memory is supported through modern IDE-to-flash
    > converters. Up to four floppy drives are driven from the main board.
    > More boards such as a D/A and ethernet are in the works.

    Thanks for that information. I saw that board earlier today and the site
    said that it was out of production here in Australia. It looks to be an
    excellent candidate. I am not concerned about it being a Z180, in fact
    that is a bonus because of the the higher clock speed.

    With regard to the ethernet board in the works. Is there a TCP/IP
    library for it?

    > Visit http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/proj/p112/ to see if this is
    > what you want. It's available either as a kit or fully-assembled.
    >
    > [1] Now and then I think that it would be nice to have a port of
    > straight CP/M to the P112 for completeness.

    I don't imagine that it would be terribly difficult.
    Is there an MP/M for the P112?

    Thanks again for your help.

  4. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    "Mike Farber" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.06.21.12.51.18.587739@terrapan.com...
    > Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80
    > support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and
    > flash memory instead of floppies.
    >
    > My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big Board which I bought new
    > in 1981. Sadly I threw it out years ago and now in my old age I have a
    > hankering to play with this retro stuff all over again.

    Consider what might be done with the T80 project on opencores.org and
    the "Terasic TREX C1 Multimedia Development Kit - US$149" from
    www.terasic.com.tw. Their FPGA development board has 8Mby of memory and
    interfaces for a flash card, PS2 keyboard, VGA monitor, serial port,
    etc.

  5. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Mike Farber wrote:
    > Thanks for that information. I saw that board earlier today and the site
    > said that it was out of production here in Australia. It looks to be an
    > excellent candidate. I am not concerned about it being a Z180, in fact
    > that is a bonus because of the the higher clock speed.

    I'd be happy to ship to Australia.

    > With regard to the ethernet board in the works. Is there a TCP/IP
    > library for it?

    The ethernet board is in the design and scout-for-parts phase.
    Currently I'm not involved in that project. That's Chris Sullivan's
    thing.

    >> Visit http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/proj/p112/ to see if this is
    >> what you want. It's available either as a kit or fully-assembled.
    >>
    >> [1] Now and then I think that it would be nice to have a port of
    >> straight CP/M to the P112 for completeness.

    > I don't imagine that it would be terribly difficult.
    > Is there an MP/M for the P112?

    MP/M is not available. If you want to play with multiuser stuff on the
    P112, there's Uzi180, a port of Unix to the Z180. The Uzi180 images
    supplied with the P112 are supposed to be customized specifically for
    the P112, but I haven't had any luck with them. I think they were made
    with the old boot rom in mind.

    > Thanks again for your help.

    Share and Enjoy!

    --
    David Griffith

  6. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    In article ,
    "Mike Farber" wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80
    > support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and
    > flash memory instead of floppies.
    >
    > My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big Board which I bought new in
    > 1981. Sadly I threw it out years ago and now in my old age I have a hankering
    > play with this retro stuff all over again.

    If you want a great 'modern' cp/m board, get a P112. ( if there are any
    left )

    If you want to make one from scratch, there are a couple of concurrent
    threads here about doing that as well.

  7. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Mike Farber wrote:
    > Can someone recommend a Z80 single board computer that has CP/M-80
    > support. I am after a modern design that allows the use of IDE HDD and
    > flash memory instead of floppies.
    >
    > My last Z80 CP/M computer was a Ferguson Big Board which I bought new in
    > 1981. Sadly I threw it out years ago and now in my old age I have a hankering to
    > play with this retro stuff all over again.

    Another option is to use one of the CP/M emulators, like simh.

    It doesn't give you the "running on the bare metal" type of
    feeling, but it's cheap and portable (goes anywhere your
    laptop goes).

  8. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Hello Dave,

    (Dave Griffith) schrieb:

    >Visit http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/proj/p112/ to see if this is
    >what you want. It's available either as a kit or fully-assembled.

    Your Homepage from Germany cannot Visit unfortunately.

    Rolf

    from Germany

  9. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    A mirror is at http://anachronda.homeunix.com:8000/~p112/

    --
    David Griffith

  10. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    "Fred J. Scipione" wrote in message
    > Consider what might be done with the T80 project on opencores.org and
    > the "Terasic TREX C1 Multimedia Development Kit - US$149" from
    > www.terasic.com.tw. Their FPGA development board has 8Mby of memory
    > and
    > interfaces for a flash card, PS2 keyboard, VGA monitor, serial port,
    > etc.

    A further exploration of the above website leads to the Forum/BBS in
    which
    someone claims to have already implemented a CPC clone by the means
    suggested.

  11. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Hello Dave,

    (Dave Griffith) schrieb:

    >A mirror is at http://anachronda.homeunix.com:8000/~p112/

    Thanks for the Mirror.

    Why one cannot Visit Your Homepage from Germany!

    Rolf

    from Germany

  12. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On 2006-06-23, Rolf Harrmann wrote:
    > Hello Dave,
    >
    > (Dave Griffith) schrieb:
    >
    >>A mirror is at http://anachronda.homeunix.com:8000/~p112/

    > Thanks for the Mirror.
    >
    > Why one cannot Visit Your Homepage from Germany!

    Not just Germany; I can't get there from just over the mountains!
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  13. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    I can get there ok, here are the pertinents:

    OS: (A) WinXP Pro (B) Debian Linux 3.1
    Browser: (A) Firefox (B) Konqueror [KDE3.3]
    Both machines -> 8-port SOHO switch -> linksys router -> comcast cable
    modem
    Physical location: Outlying suburbs, Detroit MI

    HTH,
    Tarkin

  14. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    It's a routing problem. Some IP are blocked while travelling to
    cs.csubak.edu.
    This is a traceroute report from my location:

    1 gw0 (81.174.18.225) 1.354 ms 2.347 ms 1.874 ms
    2 xdsl-gw.net.ngi.it (81.174.0.1) 63.047 ms 28.112 ms
    27.456 ms

    17 dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    (137.164.33.57) 205.517 ms 205.474 ms
    dc-bak-dc1--bak-dc2-df-iconn-2.cenic.net (137.164.22.222)
    204.709 ms
    18 * dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    (137.164.33.57) 206.713 ms *
    19 * * *

    The last hop seems the blocking one.

    Piergiorgio

  15. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    pbetti wrote:

    > 17 dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    > (137.164.33.57) 205.517 ms 205.474 ms
    > dc-bak-dc1--bak-dc2-df-iconn-2.cenic.net (137.164.22.222)
    > 204.709 ms
    > 18 * dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    > (137.164.33.57) 206.713 ms *
    > 19 * * *

    > The last hop seems the blocking one.

    My best guess as to what's going on is that some knucklehead doesn't
    know how to correctly configure the campus's main router.

    --
    David Griffith

  16. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On 2006-06-24, Dave Griffith wrote:
    > pbetti wrote:
    >
    >> 17 dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    >> (137.164.33.57) 205.517 ms 205.474 ms
    >> dc-bak-dc1--bak-dc2-df-iconn-2.cenic.net (137.164.22.222)
    >> 204.709 ms
    >> 18 * dc-csubakersfield-oc3--bak-dc1.cenic.net
    >> (137.164.33.57) 206.713 ms *
    >> 19 * * *

    >> The last hop seems the blocking one.

    > My best guess as to what's going on is that some knucklehead doesn't
    > know how to correctly configure the campus's main router.

    I had been wondering if maybe someone on my ISP had gone to the Dark
    Side, spewing spam all over the net and causing it to be blacklisted.

    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  17. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    Roger Ivie wrote:

    > I had been wondering if maybe someone on my ISP had gone to the Dark
    > Side, spewing spam all over the net and causing it to be blacklisted.

    I think that might be part of the problem. I've noticed a subtle
    connection between being blocked from websites here and being labeled as
    a spamhaus. Blocking web access, IMHO, is not the best way to handle
    this sort of thing.

    --
    David Griffith

  18. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:34:41 +0000, Fred J. Scipione wrote:

    > A further exploration of the above website leads to the Forum/BBS in
    > which
    > someone claims to have already implemented a CPC clone by the means
    > suggested.

    That is a really interesting approach, but I don't think I want the mental
    frustration of learning to program FPGAs at my age. For some folks the
    journey is more important than arriving at the destination but not for me.

  19. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:22:22 -0400, ziggy wrote:

    > If you want a great 'modern' cp/m board, get a P112. ( if there are any
    > left )
    >
    > If you want to make one from scratch, there are a couple of concurrent
    > threads here about doing that as well.

    Been there, done that I have spent countless hours wire-wrapping
    prototypes and designing PCBs with the old Bishop tape system. I don't
    really want to go there again, specially with my now poor eyesight (which
    probably resulted from all that work).

    In the "good old days" I was involved with communications, specifically
    designing Z80 based controllers and writing firmware to emulate the IBM
    2780 synchronous data protocol which was commonly used in those days for
    record oriented file transfer between mainframes and minis.

    Over the last couple of days I downloaded the Altair Z80 emulator and had
    a good play. I was surprised at how well it worked. I then downloaded my
    then favourite weapon of choice - the Hi-Tec Z80 C compiler and found that
    it was indeed as excellent as I remembered it to be.

    This is going to be fun.

  20. Re: Single board Z80 CPM systems

    On 24 Jun 2006 00:41:35 -0700, "pbetti" wrote:

    >It's a routing problem. Some IP are blocked while travelling to
    >cs.csubak.edu.

    Instead of http://www.cs.csubak.edu, use http://helios.cs.csubak.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast