Rabbit 2000 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Rabbit 2000 - CP/M ; Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board ) next week. Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a cp/m port out there?...

  1. Rabbit 2000

    Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board ) next
    week.

    Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a cp/m
    port out there?

  2. Re: Rabbit 2000

    ziggy wrote:

    > Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    > next week.
    >
    > Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    > cp/m port out there?

    Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    --
    "I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really
    don't care. It's not that important." - G.W. Bush, 2002-03-13

  3. Re: Rabbit 2000

    On 2006-06-20, CBFalconer wrote:
    > ziggy wrote:
    >>
    >> Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    >> next week.
    >>
    >> Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    >> cp/m port out there?

    > Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    > the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    They've stolen the conditional CALL instructions and (gasp!) RST 0.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  4. Re: Rabbit 2000

    Roger Ivie wrote:
    > On 2006-06-20, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> ziggy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    >>> next week.
    >>>
    >>> Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    >>> cp/m port out there?

    >> Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    >> the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    > They've stolen the conditional CALL instructions and (gasp!) RST 0.

    They are nearly binary compatible, but the differences are crucial.

    --
    "I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really
    don't care. It's not that important." - G.W. Bush, 2002-03-13
    "No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved
    with September the 11th." - George Walker Bush 2003-09-17

  5. Re: Rabbit 2000

    In article <44973C5E.B3799E5E@yahoo.com>,
    CBFalconer wrote:

    > ziggy wrote:
    > >
    > > Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    > > next week.
    > >
    > > Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    > > cp/m port out there?

    > Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    > the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    Ah, then it goes in the 'parts box' then.

  6. Re: Rabbit 2000

    I have an Epson QX-10 from 1984 that runs CP/M-80 that I am willing to
    give to a good home. It worked when I last used it, which was about 10
    years ago. Can't guarentee that it does now. Haven't had a place to
    set it up since then, and it is taking up too much closet space.

    I have the original boxes and some of the original promotional
    material.

    Anyone interested?

    ziggy wrote:
    > In article <44973C5E.B3799E5E@yahoo.com>,
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    > > ziggy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    > > > next week.
    > > >
    > > > Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    > > > cp/m port out there?

    > > Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    > > the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    > Ah, then it goes in the 'parts box' then.

  7. QX-10 CP/M-80 looking for a good home

    Edward wrote:
    > I have an Epson QX-10 from 1984 that runs CP/M-80 that I am willing to
    > give to a good home. It worked when I last used it, which was about 10
    > years ago. Can't guarentee that it does now. Haven't had a place to
    > set it up since then, and it is taking up too much closet space.
    >
    > I have the original boxes and some of the original promotional
    > material.
    >
    > Anyone interested?

    Hi Edward,

    I changed the subject line and reposted this. Please tell us where you
    are located or if you are willing to ship the system.

    Regards,
    Richard

  8. Re: Rabbit 2000

    Edward wrote:
    > I have an Epson QX-10 from 1984 that runs CP/M-80 that I am willing to
    > give to a good home. It worked when I last used it, which was about 10
    > years ago. Can't guarentee that it does now. Haven't had a place to
    > set it up since then, and it is taking up too much closet space.
    >
    > I have the original boxes and some of the original promotional
    > material.
    >
    > Anyone interested?

    *yes*. Let me know your terms and conditions.

    Thanx,
    Tarkin

  9. Re: Rabbit 2000

    I just logged in for the first time today since posting and was
    pleasently surprised to find people interested in the Epson.

    I started to get everything together on my bedroom floor and wanted to
    see if it would boot up and found that I am missing some cables.

    I have the monitor cable, but am missing a power cable, the keyboard
    cable, and the printer cable. I think the printer cable was an
    ordinary one and I may have used it years later with another printer
    and lost it. The power cable I don't think is vital -- this didn't
    have its own external power supply like a Commodore I had at the same
    time did, so someone could probably adapt another one for that purpose.
    But the lack of the keyboard cable may be more important.

    Right now I have the following:

    - The machine, monitor, printer (RX-80), and keyboard, each in their
    own boxes (all original).
    - QX-10 operating manual
    - RX-80 printer users manual
    - Valdocs User's Guide
    - Epson COM-80 manual and Microsoft Basic manual
    - Disks for both CPM-80 and Valdocs

    Since I can't set it up and turn it on without the missing cables, I
    cannot guarentee what kind of condition it is in, or if the disks would
    still work (they are over 20 years old now).

    I am willing to send it to anyone who wants to pay for the shipping --
    I am guessing that it ends up at least 50 pounds -- don't know how much
    that would cost to ship.

    Anyone still interested?

  10. Re: Rabbit 2000

    > Anyone still interested?

    Yes, at least pursuing this discussion further.

    May I suggest taking this discussion off-list?

    I can be reached at:
    n u k e 4 8 3 8 6 ATT y! DOTT com

    demunge by running alphanumerics together, and
    substituting the well-known directory/search company
    for y! (rhymes w/ Oahu), and transforming the the ATT
    and DOTT to their corresponding symbols.

    Thank you,
    Tarkin

  11. Re: Rabbit 2000

    Roger Ivie wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> ziggy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Getting a free BL1820 in the mail ( not the SDK, just the board )
    >>> next week.
    >>>
    >>> Since its basically a 'modern' z80, any chance there might be a
    >>> cp/m port out there?

    >> Don't even try. Rabbits are not binary compatible, not even with
    >> the 8080. It is useless for running any CP/M software application.

    >They've stolen the conditional CALL instructions and (gasp!) RST 0.

    If a program does not use self-modifying code or generates code
    dynamically, it may be possible to scan a .com file, replace these
    instructions with RSTs and patch the code with functions to emulate
    the missing instructions.

    Still, it is much less effort to find a real Z80.

+ Reply to Thread