Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here? - CP/M ; Hello! First post to this ng for me. I am a long time C= owner and have dabbled with the 128's CP/M mode in the 80's, but as a kid back then I had no exposure to any usable software ...

  1. Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    Hello! First post to this ng for me. I am a long time C= owner and have
    dabbled with the 128's CP/M mode in the 80's, but as a kid back then I
    had no exposure to any usable software for this mode. As an adult now I
    am revisitng it a bit. I've also bought a decent Televideo system that
    runs with the replacement HD I put in it, but crashes after it gets
    warm. I suspect I need to replace dried out capacitors. What's nice
    about the televideo is it came with the original manuals:-)

    Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here. Reading back a
    little bit looks like most here are more cpm-86 oriented.

  2. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    On 11 Jan 2006 10:18:35 -0800, "redrumloa"
    wrote:

    >Hello! First post to this ng for me. I am a long time C= owner and have
    >dabbled with the 128's CP/M mode in the 80's, but as a kid back then I
    >had no exposure to any usable software for this mode. As an adult now I
    >am revisitng it a bit. I've also bought a decent Televideo system that
    >runs with the replacement HD I put in it, but crashes after it gets
    >warm. I suspect I need to replace dried out capacitors. What's nice
    >about the televideo is it came with the original manuals:-)
    >
    >Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here. Reading back a
    >little bit looks like most here are more cpm-86 oriented.

    I use C-128 and Kaypro-10 for CP/M.

    You will find many useful CP/M application will run fine on C128.

    Sometimes, there is a minor tweak that is needed to run application on
    C128.

    For example SuperCalc simply needs to have terminal display type
    defined and it works fine.

    Welcome back to CP/M! There is lots of fun tinkering with older
    hardware.

  3. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    > Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here. Reading back a
    > little bit looks like most here are more cpm-86 oriented.

    I use 128 CP/M on a 128D CR and it's great! I just wish the Z-80 ran at
    4MHz rather than 2.

    Tom Lake

  4. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    On 11 Jan 2006 10:18:35 -0800, redrumloa wrote:
    > Hello! First post to this ng for me. I am a long time C= owner and have
    > dabbled with the 128's CP/M mode in the 80's, but as a kid back then I
    > had no exposure to any usable software for this mode. As an adult now I
    > am revisitng it a bit. I've also bought a decent Televideo system that
    > runs with the replacement HD I put in it, but crashes after it gets
    > warm. I suspect I need to replace dried out capacitors. What's nice
    > about the televideo is it came with the original manuals:-)

    There were kits to change a regular TS-803 to a TS-803h. It was
    found that what also needed doing was improving the power supply. So, if
    you've a TS-803h and the other fixes don't seem to have much effect, you
    might try going thru the power supply with an eye toward improvement.

    The TeleVideo TS-802 had a smaller (9" vs 14") monitor, but the HD
    installation was easier. TeleVideo built a TS-802 with 10meg and 20meg hds.
    Either one seemed reasonably reliable.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net

    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
    those who understand binary, and those who don't."

  5. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > > Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here.

    I keep wanting to get back to CP/M, and I have a 128, but I do most of
    my non-CP/M stuff on a CoCo 3. The CP/M cartridge for it (called a
    Color Power II -does anyone have one?) is a little hard to find, so I'm
    keeping the C=128 out for now, but still hoping. Do you have the
    complete CP/M package with MBasic and a terminal program?

    > > Reading back a little bit looks like most here are more cpm-86 oriented.

    I learned my x86 lesson and will never go back. Long live the Z80!

    > I use 128 CP/M on a 128D CR and it's great! I just wish the Z-80 ran at
    > 4MHz rather than 2.

    There must be an upgrade or accelerator that will work. How did they do
    it on the Kaypro II & H89?

  6. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    On 17 Jan 2006 10:12:44 -0800, puritan_2076@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Tom Lake wrote:
    >> > Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here.

    >I keep wanting to get back to CP/M, and I have a 128, but I do most of
    >my non-CP/M stuff on a CoCo 3. The CP/M cartridge for it (called a
    >Color Power II -does anyone have one?) is a little hard to find, so I'm
    >keeping the C=128 out for now, but still hoping. Do you have the
    >complete CP/M package with MBasic and a terminal program?
    >
    >> > Reading back a little bit looks like most here are more cpm-86 oriented.

    >I learned my x86 lesson and will never go back. Long live the Z80!
    >
    >> I use 128 CP/M on a 128D CR and it's great! I just wish the Z-80 ran at
    >> 4MHz rather than 2.

    >There must be an upgrade or accelerator that will work. How did they do
    >it on the Kaypro II & H89?

    the Kaypros, H89 and a whole slew of Z80 systems all did it from the
    start as 4 (or faster!) mhz. Those that didn't did it to make their
    design easier or cheaper.

    Most of the s100 z80s here run at 6 and a few at 10mhz. A fast z80
    makes you look at PCs differently.

    Allison

  7. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    > the Kaypros, H89 and a whole slew of Z80 systems all did it from the
    > start as 4 (or faster!) mhz. Those that didn't did it to make their
    > design easier or cheaper.

    Kaypro 2 and II were 2.5 MHz unless modified.

    Tom Lake

  8. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:05:03 GMT, "Tom Lake"
    wrote:

    >> the Kaypros, H89 and a whole slew of Z80 systems all did it from the
    >> start as 4 (or faster!) mhz. Those that didn't did it to make their
    >> design easier or cheaper.

    >Kaypro 2 and II were 2.5 MHz unless modified.
    >
    >Tom Lake

    But the mod was a simple jumper or crystal change and the basic design
    was 4mhz capable as in the 4, 4/84 and 10. The 2 and II were a
    anomaly in the market as the z80 was well entrenced as 4mhz by 1981
    and available at 6mhz.

    However if it pleases you I can list all the the designs that ran the
    z80 slower than even the slow (2.5mhz parts). Most like the TRS-80
    did it for convenince or as a way to cheap out.

    Allison

  9. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:05:03 GMT, "Tom Lake"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> the Kaypros, H89 and a whole slew of Z80 systems all did it
    >>> from the start as 4 (or faster!) mhz. Those that didn't did
    >>> it to make their design easier or cheaper.

    >> Kaypro 2 and II were 2.5 MHz unless modified.

    > But the mod was a simple jumper or crystal change and the basic
    > design was 4mhz capable as in the 4, 4/84 and 10. The 2 and II
    > were a anomaly in the market as the z80 was well entrenced as
    > 4mhz by 1981 and available at 6mhz.

    The Kaypro 4-83 was 2.5 Mhz. I had one.

    More details at:

  10. Re: Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:37:23 -0500, "Chuck F. "
    wrote:

    >Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    >>> Kaypro 2 and II were 2.5 MHz unless modified.

    >> But the mod was a simple jumper or crystal change and the basic
    >> design was 4mhz capable as in the 4, 4/84 and 10. The 2 and II
    >> were a anomaly in the market as the z80 was well entrenced as
    >> 4mhz by 1981 and available at 6mhz.

    >The Kaypro 4-83 was 2.5 Mhz. I had one.

    there were more flavors of Kaypros but basically two boards.
    One board would be the mostly 2.5mhz flavor and the other was
    4 from word go. The base design was 98% the same for all
    the z80 kaypros.

    I have two complete a II [stock] and 4/84 [turborom, personality card,
    Ramdisk and Handyman]. Plus a complete set of boards form every
    other z80 model (spares found around).

    Also have a 128D, also a cool machine. Very cutting edge in what it
    did and could do.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread