Documentation focusing specifically on the BIOS - CP/M

This is a discussion on Documentation focusing specifically on the BIOS - CP/M ; begin oe_protect.scr Laurie Boshell espoused: > > "Mark Kent" wrote in message > news:3o3hl3-v4g.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk... >> begin oe_protect.scr >> Barry Watzman espoused: >> >> >> >> Top-posting is awful, please don't do it. Abuse is worse, and >> ingnorance if netiquette ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: Documentation focusing specifically on the BIOS

    begin oe_protect.scr
    Laurie Boshell espoused:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> begin oe_protect.scr
    >> Barry Watzman espoused:
    >>

    >> Top-posting is awful, please don't do it. Abuse is worse, and
    >> ingnorance if netiquette is just plain rude.

    > I find top-posting easier to follow, as you read each response.

    English reads downwards, not upwards. If your newsreader is a poor one,
    perhaps should should get a better one, which you could then tailor to
    meet your requirements in terms of which bits you'd like to see first,
    rather than attempting to impose your poor netiquette on others?

    > You have ignored the insulting political foot note from CBFalconer.
    > Is that acceptable netiquette?

    If you are referring to a .sig file, it's generally considered to be
    poor netiquette to comment on it. As you didn't quote it, I've no idea
    what you're referring to, which rather illustrates the problems caused
    by top-posting.

    Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.

  2. Re: TOFU, was: Documentation focusing ...

    Charles Richmond espoused:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >> Herb Johnson wrote:
    >> >

    >> ... snip ...
    >> >
    >> > That said, some people may not have access to such tools; they may
    >> > have preferences to older and/or less flexible tools; or they may
    >> > have visual or other limitations. These may oblige them to only
    >> > add text at the top of a previous message.

    >> I greatly doubt that any such depraved newsreader system exists.
    >>

    > The words "defective" and "seriously broken" come to mind about
    > such a system...

    Well he is using Netscape 4.78 on Windows 98, at least, according to the
    headers, anyway. It's so long since I've used this, I can no longer
    recall how it does news, other than it's an awful piece of software as a
    newsreader. No wonder he's having problems.

    Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.

  3. Re: Documentation focusing specifically on the BIOS

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:10:41 -0700, Craig M wrote:

    > Hey guys!
    >
    > I was poking around at CP/M documentation, and found alot of information
    > pertaining to the BDOS, and CP/M in general, but what I've really been
    > looking for is something specifically focusing on the BIOS.
    > Does anyone know of such documentation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Craig

    The definitive document is the CPM System Alteration Guide.
    http://s100-manuals.com/gaby/DRI/CPM...tion_Guide.pdf

    The sample BIOS chapter in that book is a reference implementation for an
    Intel MDS 80 system. You would normally change this to work with your
    hardware. If you study and understand the reference BIOS you will be able
    to understand any other BIOS implementation or make your own.

    It is very helpful to study the BIOS source code for different CP/M
    systems too. Western Digital FDD controllers were very common so many
    machines differ only in I/O and interrupt mapping in the FDD area. Some
    machines had memory mapped video cards and it is interesting to look at how
    the vendor maps the TTY output into the video buffer.

    If you have the BIOS for your current system and know how to sysgen a new
    boot floppy then you can have lots of fun messing around with tweaks.

    There used to be two favourite tweaks to 'hot up' one's CP/M. Both
    involved stealing some memory from the system to implement a full track
    cache for the floppy and a printer fifo for those slow old dot matrix
    printers.

  4. Re: TOFU, was: Documentation focusing ...

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Well he is using Netscape 4.78 on Windows 98, at least, according
    > to the headers, anyway. It's so long since I've used this, I can
    > no longer recall how it does news, other than it's an awful piece
    > of software as a newsreader. No wonder he's having problems.

    Well, I'm using Netscape 4.8 and its newsreader, and don't see anything
    wrong with it. It isn't great, but it works. I've tried other programs,
    but have kept coming back to Netscape. It doesn't impose any limits on
    top vs. bottom posting, or in how quoted material is handled. Mostly, it
    stays out of my way and does what it's told.

    It seems like most of the problem is style. Everyone has their own
    opinion of how it "should" be done, and prefer readers that support that
    style. Of course, then everyone else's style offends them.

    Maybe we need readers that edit the style of received documents to
    whatever the user wants to see. Just as you can turn off headers, html,
    or attachments so they won't be seen even if present in a received
    document, maybe you should be able to turn off top-posting, long quotes,
    etc.

    Think of the possibilities -- spellcheck, fix punctuation, replace
    swearing, correct capitalization, etc. all on receive! Maybe the program
    can even be smart enough to delete pointless phrases or mindless
    babbling! (I'm thinking of an article in a ham radio magazine about a
    "by golly" filter. It eliminates stupid comments so effectively that in
    the end there was nothing left! :-)
    --
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget the perfect offering