ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers - CP/M

This is a discussion on ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers - CP/M ; I've gone and done it. Here is the new Yahoo! Groups home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alpaca_designers Aplications for membership should be directed at: alpaca_designers ATT yahoogroups DOTT com or nuke48386 ATT yahoo DOTT com I will be looking for moderators, not because ...

  1. ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers

    I've gone and done it. Here is the new Yahoo!
    Groups home page:

    Aplications for membership should be directed at:

    alpaca_designers ATT yahoogroups DOTT com
    or
    nuke48386 ATT yahoo DOTT com

    I will be looking for moderators, not because
    I think the group actually needs ones, but by
    keeping membership exclusive, I hope to avoid
    spam, spam, pork, beans, eggs, ham & spam.

    As a side note, I had no $%^%^ing idea
    that the alpaca was such a phenomenon,
    either in the US or Norway! (Although I was
    not surprised to see the South Am. groups).

    This group was the logical result of 3 or 4 threads
    dealing with a common issue, that is, the amalgamation
    of ideas and techniques directly applicable to an
    easily constructed, easily modifiable hobbyist CP/M
    platform.

    After much soul-searching, I have decided to ask those
    with an interest in 'other' CPU's/Architectures/OS's for
    their input as well- I am curious to see what their input
    will produce design-wise.

    Posters from comp.os.cpm get priority for having
    their membership rubber-stamped, followed by the
    other comp.*.*'s, followed by any electronic, robotic,
    programming, or other technically-oriented newsgroup.

    Thank you all for your time and interest in this matter,

    Tarkin
    "Sleepytime tea doesn't make you zzzzzzzzz......"

  2. Re: ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers

    Tarkin wrote:
    > I've gone and done it. Here is the new Yahoo!
    > Groups home page:

    > This group was the logical result of 3 or 4 threads
    > dealing with a common issue, that is, the amalgamation
    > of ideas and techniques directly applicable to an
    > easily constructed, easily modifiable hobbyist CP/M
    > platform.

    Out of curiosity I went to Google Groups and searched for "Z80". I
    got 11 hits, NOT including this new group. (I don't know why the new
    group was not found, I think the search looks in the group description
    text.) Some groups which look related to the above interests are below,
    with exerpts from their descriptions (NOT my comments).

    Micro_projects: 72 Members

    This group is dedicated to designing and building systems using the
    older microprocessors and the new micro-controllers, including but not
    limited to Z-80, 8086/8088, 8085, 6800, etc:

    z80cpm: 15 Members

    Anyone who ever got excited about owning a computer with the Z80
    processor or knows what CPM stands for will like this group.

    z80processor: 21 Members

    Official discussion group for Z80 family and derivative processors

    ---end---

    I'm not a part of these groups, and I've not participated in the
    comp.os.cpm discussion of a Z80 & CP/M group design. But it seems to me
    the name of a Google group to support such an activity, ought to be
    recognizable as relating to that activity, and not to something
    completely different. In the meantime, it may be worth consideration to
    see what these OTHER related Yahoo! groups are about and to consider
    working within them, before starting another one.

    Or not. These are just my casual opinions and findings.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain mirror

  3. Re: ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers

    On 1 Jun 2006 21:20:24 -0700, "Tarkin" wrote:

    >I've gone and done it. Here is the new Yahoo!
    >Groups home page:

    >Aplications for membership should be directed at:
    >
    >alpaca_designers ATT yahoogroups DOTT com
    >or
    >nuke48386 ATT yahoo DOTT com

    I'd advise everyone to sign up thru Yahoo. Unless you have a Yahoo ID
    and have your subscription to this group attached to that Yahoo ID,
    you *CANNOT* access the FILES in Yahoo Groups. I suggest this
    because I betcha the FILES section of this group will see some
    interesting action as things progress.

    Jim H

  4. Re: ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers

    Jim Higgins wrote:
    > On 1 Jun 2006 21:20:24 -0700, "Tarkin" wrote:
    >
    >> I've gone and done it. Here is the new Yahoo!
    >> Groups home page:

    >> Aplications for membership should be directed at:
    >>
    >> alpaca_designers ATT yahoogroups DOTT com
    >> or
    >> nuke48386 ATT yahoo DOTT com

    > I'd advise everyone to sign up thru Yahoo. Unless you have a Yahoo ID
    > and have your subscription to this group attached to that Yahoo ID,
    > you *CANNOT* access the FILES in Yahoo Groups. I suggest this
    > because I betcha the FILES section of this group will see some
    > interesting action as things progress.

    Why should anyone want the pain of an html link to that, when you
    have a perfectly viable usenet connection available right here?

    --
    Some informative links:
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

  5. Re: ANN: y! group for Z80/68K/CPM dev'ers

    Sorry, guys...

    The topic should have been appended with:
    RE: Homebuilt Z80 computers

    That thread was the genesis and prime cause
    for the formation of the y! group.

    Herb- thank you for your website and service
    btw, my Mac cdrom I purchased is still going
    strong- your suggestions are quite valid for
    a public offering; however, the group is not
    meant to be public, at least initially- it is
    a convenience for a subset of this newsgroup,
    as the aboriginal thread was becoming quite
    lengthy, and there was a need to begin
    considering the need for filesharing.
    And the name, while cryptic, grew
    out of that same thread, and my