replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller - CP/M

This is a discussion on replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller - CP/M ; I was wondering if anyone knew anything about replacing a WD1771PH-02 floppy controller with something capable of handling high-density 3.5" floppies. -- David Griffith dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu...

  1. replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller

    --
    David Griffith

  2. Re: replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:12:50 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    Griffith) wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone knew anything about replacing a WD1771PH-02
    >floppy controller with something capable of handling high-density 3.5"
    >floppies.

    1793 save for everything on the floppy side sill ahve to be
    redesigned. New data sep and clocking. Not reasonable
    as there are boards out there that do it. Compupro DISK1A
    is one and there are others.

    Allison

  3. Re: replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller

    Allisonnos...@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:12:50 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    > Griffith) wrote:
    >
    > >I was wondering if anyone knew anything about replacing a WD1771PH-02
    > >floppy controller with something capable of handling high-density 3.5"
    > >floppies.

    > 1793 save for everything on the floppy side sill ahve to be
    > redesigned. New data sep and clocking. Not reasonable
    > as there are boards out there that do it. Compupro DISK1A
    > is one and there are others.
    >
    > Allison

    It depends on the system. If you have a system with some type of buss
    where the floppy controller in on a single I/O card then just find a
    newer card if one exists. If that idea fails then you will need to
    design a replacement card. If you have a single board computer then you
    will need to design a daughter board that will plug into the 1771 IC
    socket.

    That was the easy part. You will need to rewrite all of the disk I/O
    drives for the new controller chip. My personal choise for floppy
    controller chips is the WD2793 or WD2797. The interface is a little
    easier as they don't require an external data seperator.

    At any rate, it's not going to be a simple task. Good luck, you'll need
    it. :-)

    Don C.

  4. Re: replacing WD1771PH-02 floppy controller

    On 25 May 2006 10:06:16 -0700, "Don" wrote:

    >Allisonnos...@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:12:50 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    >> Griffith) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I was wondering if anyone knew anything about replacing a WD1771PH-02
    >> >floppy controller with something capable of handling high-density 3.5"
    >> >floppies.

    >> 1793 save for everything on the floppy side sill ahve to be
    >> redesigned. New data sep and clocking. Not reasonable
    >> as there are boards out there that do it. Compupro DISK1A
    >> is one and there are others.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >It depends on the system. If you have a system with some type of buss
    >where the floppy controller in on a single I/O card then just find a
    >newer card if one exists. If that idea fails then you will need to
    >design a replacement card. If you have a single board computer then you
    >will need to design a daughter board that will plug into the 1771 IC
    >socket.
    >
    >That was the easy part. You will need to rewrite all of the disk I/O
    >drives for the new controller chip. My personal choise for floppy
    >controller chips is the WD2793 or WD2797. The interface is a little
    >easier as they don't require an external data seperator.
    >
    >At any rate, it's not going to be a simple task. Good luck, you'll need
    >it. :-)
    >
    >Don C.

    I went the 2793 route once. Worked ok. Right on for the software
    as at best it was a useful skeleton as it had to be rewritten. If it
    wasn't an SBC I'd have passed on it.

    For anything with a bus and the FDC bus based there are likely easier
    ways to do it. Expecially if the FDC card also carries the boot rom.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread