Z80 SBC - CP/M

This is a discussion on Z80 SBC - CP/M ; Ran across this over the weekend, look like it might be useable as a starting point for a little ( traditional ) CP/M machine? http://home.att.net/~wzmicro/prod02.htm...

  1. Z80 SBC

    Ran across this over the weekend, look like it might be useable as a
    starting point for a little ( traditional ) CP/M machine?

    http://home.att.net/~wzmicro/prod02.htm

  2. Re: Z80 SBC

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:52:08 -0400, ziggy
    wrote:

    >Ran across this over the weekend, look like it might be useable as a
    >starting point for a little ( traditional ) CP/M machine?
    >
    >http://home.att.net/~wzmicro/prod02.htm

    I downloaded the PDF manual. It's a Z80 STC card and fairly nice
    design.

    However, the manual is very old scan and the board is only 30$US
    which is way below value. That is just plain way too low and
    something doesn't smell right to me. As I was reading about it I
    compared it to other boards like those from Micromint I'd have
    expected more like $199-300. If it's real that one hell of a
    bargan if only for the parts!

    Allison

  3. Re: Z80 SBC

    At $30US, it is very attractive.

    Factors to consider:
    * 56-pin STD bus card edge
    * 4MHz clock limit
    * Weirdo memory scheme.

    Way cheaper (for me, anyway) than it would
    cost to get into homebrewing fpga/cpld 's.

    But definitely doable.

    Does this mean you're giving up on the
    other thread?

  4. Re: Z80 SBC

    On 22 May 2006 19:10:26 -0700, "Tarkin" wrote:

    >At $30US, it is very attractive.

    For that price it has to be a used board
    as the manual for it is Micro/Sys 1983!

    >Factors to consider:
    > * 56-pin STD bus card edge
    > * 4MHz clock limit
    > * Weirdo memory scheme.
    >
    >Way cheaper (for me, anyway) than it would
    >cost to get into homebrewing fpga/cpld 's.

    IF you actually get one it's very doable.
    According to the manual it's easy to setup with a memory
    map reasonable for CP/M. Then again in 1983 that was likely the
    case. Yes the manual has that dates on it.

    STD bus is a big plus as the connectors are easy to find and
    fairly cheap and there are people out there still selling STD
    bus cards.

    >But definitely doable.
    >
    >Does this mean you're giving up on the
    >other thread?

    Allison

  5. Re: Z80 SBC

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:08:49 GMT, Allisonnospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:52:08 -0400, ziggy
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ran across this over the weekend, look like it might be useable as a
    >>starting point for a little ( traditional ) CP/M machine?
    >>
    >>http://home.att.net/~wzmicro/prod02.htm

    >I downloaded the PDF manual. It's a Z80 STC card and fairly nice
    >design.
    >
    >However, the manual is very old scan and the board is only 30$US
    >which is way below value. That is just plain way too low and
    >something doesn't smell right to me. As I was reading about it I
    >compared it to other boards like those from Micromint I'd have
    >expected more like $199-300. If it's real that one hell of a
    >bargan if only for the parts!

    I don't see anything saying parts are included in the $30 price.
    Despite the picture showing a fully populated board, it looks to me
    like they're selling a bare board and docs.

    Jim H

  6. Re: Z80 SBC

    In article <1148350226.156900.142990@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    "Tarkin" wrote:

    > At $30US, it is very attractive.
    >
    > Factors to consider:
    > * 56-pin STD bus card edge
    > * 4MHz clock limit
    > * Weirdo memory scheme.
    >
    > Way cheaper (for me, anyway) than it would
    > cost to get into homebrewing fpga/cpld 's.
    >
    > But definitely doable.
    >
    > Does this mean you're giving up on the
    > other thread?

    No, not giving up at all.. Just a side line while we all work out the
    details for the 'group project'. been hitting the Zilog books this last
    weekend working out my details of what might be am actual circuit to
    start debate on. ( its blocked out now, have to get it into schematic
    format )

    Also dug out my breadboards, a CPU, some EPROMS and PIO.. but it seems
    i dont have a SIO like i thought. Dern.

    May go for a EEPROM instead, been meaning to get a new 8051 board for an
    embedded project, and the ones from tecel.com has the ability to burn
    them on board. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

    On this board, the 30 dollar price tag also caught my attention with all
    that is included. could be useful to do some expirements with and not
    worry too much about toasting the board since its so cheap.

  7. Re: Z80 SBC

    In article ,
    Allisonnospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:52:08 -0400, ziggy
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Ran across this over the weekend, look like it might be useable as a
    > >starting point for a little ( traditional ) CP/M machine?
    > >
    > >http://home.att.net/~wzmicro/prod02.htm

    > I downloaded the PDF manual. It's a Z80 STC card and fairly nice
    > design.
    >
    > However, the manual is very old scan and the board is only 30$US
    > which is way below value. That is just plain way too low and
    > something doesn't smell right to me. As I was reading about it I
    > compared it to other boards like those from Micromint I'd have
    > expected more like $199-300. If it's real that one hell of a
    > bargan if only for the parts!
    >
    > Allison

    I emailed them sunday asking if they are even still in business. Might
    just be an old page long since abonded..

    NO reply as of yet.

  8. Re: Z80 SBC

    Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Tue, May 23, 2006, 5:25pm (CDT+1) From:
    ziggy@fakedaddress.com (ziggy)

    >I emailed them sunday asking if they are even still >in business. Might

    just be an old page long since >abonded..

    >NO reply as of yet.

    Last update to the page was just about a year ago.

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

+ Reply to Thread