Re: Tiny Pascal - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: Tiny Pascal - CP/M ; Hello, Bill! > Do you specifically want the material from the magazine, or would the later > version (marketed by Supersoft, written in Tiny Pascal itself) do for your > purposes? I only know the version published (in 3 issues) ...

  1. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Hello, Bill!

    > Do you specifically want the material from the magazine, or would the

    later
    > version (marketed by Supersoft, written in Tiny Pascal itself) do for your
    > purposes?

    I only know the version published (in 3 issues) of BYTE.

    > I've got a book around here somewhere on this language (dialect?) and
    > it's "how to compile" section goes into using Tandy tapes and CP/M disk
    > to compile.

    I had never heard about a Supersoft version, nor a book
    published about it, but, then, I am French and could not
    access to all the computer magazines published, back then.

    I would be very interested in studying it. If you can provide
    me with a photocopy of the book(let?), I could retype it
    during those long Winter nights. (Steve Dubrovich has
    my snail-mail address, if you don't have it.)

    Please add my name to the list of people interested
    in this "Tiny Pascal".

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  2. Re: Tiny Pascal

    "French Luser" wrote in message
    > > Do you specifically want the material from the magazine, or would the
    > > later version (marketed by Supersoft, written in Tiny Pascal itself) do
    > > for your purposes?

    > I only know the version published (in 3 issues) of BYTE.

    That seems to be the case for most people.

    > > I've got a book around here somewhere on this language (dialect?) and
    > > it's "how to compile" section goes into using Tandy tapes and CP/M disk
    > > to compile.

    > I had never heard about a Supersoft version, nor a book
    > published about it, but, then, I am French and could not
    > access to all the computer magazines published, back then.
    >
    > I would be very interested in studying it. If you can provide
    > me with a photocopy of the book(let?), I could retype it
    > during those long Winter nights. (Steve Dubrovich has
    > my snail-mail address, if you don't have it.)

    It's about 1.5" thick, perfect bound, and about the dimensions of a DVD case.
    It'd be a nightmare to copy, or I'd have to destroy it to do so.

    > Please add my name to the list of people interested
    > in this "Tiny Pascal".

    Will do. I haven't had a chance to put the 5.25" drive in my system yet.

    - Bill

  3. Re: Tiny Pascal

    >> I only know the version published (in 3 issues) of BYTE.
    >
    > That seems to be the case for most people.

    The version I mentioned earlier was a three article series in 80-Micro.

    Tom Lake

  4. Re: Tiny Pascal

    In article ,
    "Tom Lake" writes:
    >>> I only know the version published (in 3 issues) of BYTE.

    >> That seems to be the case for most people.

    > The version I mentioned earlier was a three article series in 80-Micro.

    Actually, the three part article was in BYTE and later reprinted in a
    book called The Byte Book of Pascal along with a number of other apps
    in various dialects of Pascal. 80-Micro ran various articles abour
    Pascal but the only Tiny Pascal specific were a blurb on the Supersoft
    version and an article on moving their version to disk. As a matter
    of fact, I have the 80-Micro issue here right now as I am playing with
    the TRS80 version again on an emulator.

    bill
    (Who has all the 80-Micro issues up to the point where they became more
    of a PC magazine than a TRS80 magazine!)

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: Tiny Pascal

    "Tom Lake" wrote in message
    > >> I only know the version published (in 3 issues) of BYTE.

    > > That seems to be the case for most people.

    > The version I mentioned earlier was a three article series in 80-Micro.

    I never saw that one. I *DID* read the three-issue one in Byte, though.

    - Bill

  6. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Bill wrote:

    > It's about 1.5" thick, perfect bound, and about the dimensions of a DVD
    > case.
    > It'd be a nightmare to copy, or I'd have to destroy it to do so.

    Ok. Then, would you mind telling us the exact reference of this
    book, so I can try to find it on Amazon?

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  7. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Bill wrote:

    > (...) 80-Micro ran various articles abour
    > Pascal but the only Tiny Pascal specific were a blurb on the Supersoft
    > version and an article on moving their version to disk.

    Would you mind photocopying it (or making a PDF file that
    could be viewed on the Internet), so I can study it?

    (As I wrote many times, I am a BASIC fan, and am surprised
    that no one (including the author of a famous 8080 Pascal
    compiler that used to be a regular) is collecting the various
    Pascals that used to run under CP/M.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  8. Re: Tiny Pascal

    > > It's about 1.5" thick, perfect bound, and about the dimensions of a DVD
    > > case. It'd be a nightmare to copy, or I'd have to destroy it to do so.

    > Ok. Then, would you mind telling us the exact reference of this
    > book, so I can try to find it on Amazon?

    I'll have to find it. It's in the cellar, and I think I know where. I'll have
    a look for it this weekend.

    - Bill

  9. Re: Tiny Pascal

    French Luser wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >

    >>(...) 80-Micro ran various articles abour
    >>Pascal but the only Tiny Pascal specific were a blurb on the Supersoft
    >>version and an article on moving their version to disk.

    > Would you mind photocopying it (or making a PDF file that
    > could be viewed on the Internet), so I can study it?
    >
    > (As I wrote many times, I am a BASIC fan, and am surprised
    > that no one (including the author of a famous 8080 Pascal
    > compiler that used to be a regular) is collecting the various
    > Pascals that used to run under CP/M.)
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > "French Luser"

    80-Micro 's are available online at Ira Goldking's trs-80 site
    http://www.trs-80.com
    There are thumb-nails of the covers so you might see what you want.
    Sorry I don't know which issue.
    Mark Whitlock

  10. Re: Tiny Pascal

    I have found the book I was talking about.

    It's "Pascal" by David L. Heisermann.

    The cover blurb says
    A programmer's
    guide to using PASCAL,
    Tiny Pascal and Supersoft
    Tiny Pascal... including actual
    programs and helpful exercies!

    Yes, they included the exalaimation point.

    Upon examination of the book, I find that it's heavily oriented towards Tiny
    Pascal as distributed on tape for the TRS-80.

    It was quite usable for the CP/M version, because I used it with that for a
    couple of years (it was much better than the documentation which came with the
    CP/M version) so it's not quite entirely off topic here.

    It's 350 pages long, perfect bound, soft cover. Dimensions are 9&1/4 X 5&1/8 X
    7/8 inches or 209 X 131 X 23 mm. It weighs about a pound.

    So, here's the deal. If somone will scan this and put it online, I'll give it
    to them. I'll even pay postage.

    ----------------

    On a related subject, I've been unable to locate the disk drive I was going to
    put into my machine here so I could read the CP/M disks for Tiny Pascal. I may
    have given it away, or it may be one of the three 5.25" half height drives I
    *did* find. But all of those drives have green LEDs in them. My recollection
    was that my high-density 5.25" drives had a red LEDs. Or perhaps I'm
    remembering this backwards. Any one recall the early days of the PC which
    color LED was associated with which density? Or if it was even standardized?
    Or is there any other way to tell, by looking at the drive, what it's density
    is? I need a high density (1.2M under DOS) drives to read these CP/M floppies
    and I'd rather not discover which kind these are by putting them in my machine.

    - Bill

  11. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Forgot a couple of bits about the book.

    Tab books (C) 1980
    First printing, July 1980
    Second printing, March 1981

    TAB # 1205
    ISBN 0-8306-9943-1
    ISBN 0-8306-1205-X (Paperback)

    - Bill

    "William J. Leary Jr." wrote in message
    > I have found the book I was talking about.
    >
    > It's "Pascal" by David L. Heisermann.

  12. Re: Tiny Pascal

    "William J. Leary Jr." wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > It's 350 pages long, perfect bound, soft cover. Dimensions are
    > 9&1/4 X 5&1/8 X 7/8 inches or 209 X 131 X 23 mm. It weighs about
    > a pound.
    >
    > So, here's the deal. If somone will scan this and put it online,
    > I'll give it to them. I'll even pay postage.

    If scanned, I suggest taking a close look at DJVU (lizardtech.com
    for windows commercial, and there is a separate group for open
    source implementations, linux, etc.) The point is that it will
    reduce the volume of the scanned file by a factor of three or more,
    or at least so I am told.

    More details at:

  13. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Hello, Bill!

    Many thanks for providing the reference.

    - "Pascal"
    David L. Heisermann
    Tab Books, 1980, 350 pages
    ISBN 0.8306.9943.1

    I had a quick look on Amazon and Google:
    I could find nothing about it...

    Seems like you have a real rarity! Congratulations!

    Now, if I were you, I would not loan it,
    but provide photocopies (that could be
    scanned automatically via a sheet feeder).

    If you are willing to do it, I will repay you the
    cost of photocopying and mailing them to me.
    (You could make a second copy, once
    you have one good photocopy, for you,
    by feeding it to a photocopy machine.
    Some will also do a recto-verso job,
    halving the thickness of the result.
    I don't use "plastic rings": I find them
    troublesome. I prefer to keep my
    photocopies in big sleeves.)

    If you don't already have my address,
    ask the details to Steve Dubrovich.

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  14. Re: Tiny Pascal

    > - "Pascal"
    > David L. Heisermann
    > Tab Books, 1980, 350 pages
    > ISBN 0.8306.9943.1
    >
    > I had a quick look on Amazon and Google:
    > I could find nothing about it...

    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...653274-6815533

    http://www.alibris.com/search/search...*listing*title

    35 copies at the second site.

    Or did you mean you couldn't find anything ABOUT the book (as in "description"
    or "summary" or such) ?

    I'll reply to the rest of your message a little later. I have to think about
    it a bit.

    - Bill

  15. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Hello, Bill!

    > > I had a quick look on Amazon and Google:
    > > I could find nothing about it...

    > 35 copies at the second site.

    I re-did my Google and Amazon searches,
    using the name that you provided: Heisermann

    In both cases, they say: zero answer...

    The reason being, of course, that you made
    an error with the name: it is Heiserman
    (with only one N).

    Many thanks for pointing me to Alibris,
    that is unheard of in France. Since 35
    copies are available, don't worry for
    me: I will get one.

    > I'll reply to the rest of your message a little later. I have to think

    about
    > it a bit.

    Well, scanning, like photocopying, means
    that you need to phycically place the book
    on the scanner. If you scan the book directly,
    you will not have a photocopy. If you have
    a photocopy, you can also scan it automatically...

    (Now, all that is missing is the SuperSoft files...)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  16. Re: Tiny Pascal

    In article ,
    "William J. Leary Jr." writes:
    > I have found the book I was talking about.
    >
    > It's "Pascal" by David L. Heisermann.
    >
    > The cover blurb says
    > A programmer's
    > guide to using PASCAL,
    > Tiny Pascal and Supersoft
    > Tiny Pascal... including actual
    > programs and helpful exercies!
    >
    > Yes, they included the exalaimation point.
    >
    > Upon examination of the book, I find that it's heavily oriented towards Tiny
    > Pascal as distributed on tape for the TRS-80.
    >
    > It was quite usable for the CP/M version, because I used it with that for a
    > couple of years (it was much better than the documentation which came with the
    > CP/M version) so it's not quite entirely off topic here.
    >
    > It's 350 pages long, perfect bound, soft cover. Dimensions are 9&1/4 X 5&1/8 X
    > 7/8 inches or 209 X 131 X 23 mm. It weighs about a pound.
    >
    > So, here's the deal. If somone will scan this and put it online, I'll give it
    > to them. I'll even pay postage.

    I can't offer to do it, but I would sure appreciate it someone else could!

    However.......

    > ----------------
    >
    > On a related subject, I've been unable to locate the disk drive I was going to
    > put into my machine here so I could read the CP/M disks for Tiny Pascal. I may
    > have given it away, or it may be one of the three 5.25" half height drives I
    > *did* find. But all of those drives have green LEDs in them. My recollection
    > was that my high-density 5.25" drives had a red LEDs. Or perhaps I'm
    > remembering this backwards. Any one recall the early days of the PC which
    > color LED was associated with which density?

    I have dozens of 5.25" drives floating around here and have never seen
    any relationship between color of LED and density of drive. Just seemed
    to be manufacturer preference.

    > Or if it was even standardized?
    > Or is there any other way to tell, by looking at the drive, what it's density
    > is? I need a high density (1.2M under DOS) drives to read these CP/M floppies
    > and I'd rather not discover which kind these are by putting them in my machine.

    I can make you another offer. If it is not a particular model you need
    but just any generic 1.2M drive I can probably give you one or two. I
    should have plenty of them floating around. I use Teac FD55-GFR's on my
    PDP-11's but I have others that are of little if any use beyond the PC
    world which I try to avoid as much as possible.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  17. Re: Tiny Pascal

    In article <43d2364e$0$29217$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
    "French Luser" writes:
    > Hello, Bill!
    >
    > Many thanks for providing the reference.
    >
    > - "Pascal"
    > David L. Heisermann
    > Tab Books, 1980, 350 pages
    > ISBN 0.8306.9943.1
    >
    > I had a quick look on Amazon and Google:
    > I could find nothing about it...

    But the paperback is available. $.50 used and $10.00 new.
    I ordered one. It will be a good addition to my library.

    > Seems like you have a real rarity! Congratulations!
    >
    > Now, if I were you, I would not loan it,
    > but provide photocopies (that could be
    > scanned automatically via a sheet feeder).
    >
    > If you are willing to do it, I will repay you the
    > cost of photocopying and mailing them to me.
    > (You could make a second copy, once
    > you have one good photocopy, for you,
    > by feeding it to a photocopy machine.
    > Some will also do a recto-verso job,
    > halving the thickness of the result.
    > I don't use "plastic rings": I find them
    > troublesome. I prefer to keep my
    > photocopies in big sleeves.)

    Or, you could buy one of the $.50 copies at Amazon and
    just pull all the pages out. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  18. Re: Tiny Pascal

    > I re-did my Google and Amazon searches,
    > using the name that you provided: Heisermann
    >
    > In both cases, they say: zero answer...
    >
    > The reason being, of course, that you made
    > an error with the name: it is Heiserman
    > (with only one N).

    Yes. I used Yahoo! for my search and it asked me if I'd meant to use
    "Heiserman" (one "n"). I tried that and got those entries. I'd forgotten,
    when I wrote my e-mail, that I'd done that.

    - Bill

  19. Re: Tiny Pascal

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "William J. Leary Jr." writes:
    > > On a related subject, I've been unable to locate the disk drive I was going

    > > put into my machine here so I could read the CP/M disks for Tiny Pascal. I

    may
    > > have given it away, or it may be one of the three 5.25" half height drives

    > > *did* find. But all of those drives have green LEDs in them. My

    recollection
    > > was that my high-density 5.25" drives had a red LEDs. Or perhaps I'm
    > > remembering this backwards. Any one recall the early days of the PC which
    > > color LED was associated with which density?

    > I have dozens of 5.25" drives floating around here and have never seen
    > any relationship between color of LED and density of drive. Just seemed
    > to be manufacturer preference.

    Thanks for that. I continued to think about it then went back down (to the
    basement) and had another look, with a flashlight this time. One of the drives
    actually has an amber (yellow) light on it. And then I remembered that for
    sure one of those with the green light was low density, but I also remembered
    from my CP/M days that pretty much all floppies had red LEDs, even higher
    capacity ones.

    > I can make you another offer. If it is not a particular model you need
    > but just any generic 1.2M drive I can probably give you one or two. I
    > should have plenty of them floating around. I use Teac FD55-GFR's on my
    > PDP-11's but I have others that are of little if any use beyond the PC
    > world which I try to avoid as much as possible.

    Thanks. I'm going to try the two drives I'm not sure of to see what they are.
    I expect a simple "format" attempt will tell the tale. If it won't format at
    1.2M but will at 360K, that should settle it. If they're all 1.2's, I'll check
    back with ou.

    - Bill

  20. Re: Tiny Pascal

    Hello, Bill!

    > Or, you could buy one of the $.50 copies at Amazon and
    > just pull all the pages out. :-)

    Yes, now that we know that this is not a rarity.

    It would probably be cheaper than photocopies
    (in my area a photocopy is 10 cents of Euro),
    and sharper for a scanner.

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

+ Reply to Thread