Quark Z80 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Quark Z80 - CP/M ; Ran across that board in Dave's collection and it looks sort of like what i was thinking for the 'traditional z80 retro board' ( with the extras already on board tho, not the modular idea ) Anyone got more details ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Quark Z80

  1. Quark Z80

    Ran across that board in Dave's collection and it looks sort of like
    what i was thinking for the 'traditional z80 retro board' ( with the
    extras already on board tho, not the modular idea )

    Anyone got more details on this little beast? Schematics? Etc?

  2. Re: Quark Z80

    >Ran across that board in Dave's collection and it looks sort of like
    >what i was thinking for the 'traditional z80 retro board' ( with the
    >extras already on board tho, not the modular idea )


    It's a nice little board - and has quite a bit on it.

    >Anyone got more details on this little beast? Schematics? Etc?


    I've got the manual up on the site - I do have the full schematic
    for it as well, but I haven't scanned it yet (It's large).


    --
    dave06a@ Collector of classic pre-PC computer systems.
    dunfield. If you have an old 8/16 bit non-PC system in need of a good
    com home, please contact me at email address on the left, or
    via contact link of this web site:
    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/index.html


  3. Re: Quark Z80

    In article ,
    Dave.Dunfield@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website (Dave Dunfield)
    wrote:

    > >Ran across that board in Dave's collection and it looks sort of like
    > >what i was thinking for the 'traditional z80 retro board' ( with the
    > >extras already on board tho, not the modular idea )

    >
    > It's a nice little board - and has quite a bit on it.
    >
    > >Anyone got more details on this little beast? Schematics? Etc?

    >
    > I've got the manual up on the site - I do have the full schematic
    > for it as well, but I haven't scanned it yet (It's large).
    >
    >
    > --
    > dave06a@ Collector of classic pre-PC computer systems.
    > dunfield. If you have an old 8/16 bit non-PC system in need of a good
    > com home, please contact me at email address on the left, or
    > via contact link of this web site:
    > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/index.html


    Cool, if you ever do get around to it, let us know. Id be interested in
    looking at them.

  4. Re: Quark Z80

    As long as we're talking about retro systems ...

    Anyone remember the "On!"? It was a CP/M system built at the very end
    of the CP/M era. If memory serves, it ran CP/M 3.0.

    Its claim to fame was that it had no drives at all. It had
    battery-backed-up CMOS memory for both RAM and RAMdisk (I think 128k
    RAM, 8Mb RAMDisk). Because it used so little power, it had no power
    switch. You just left it on all the time, and when you returned to it,
    there was everything you'd been working on, right where you left it.

    Always wanted one of them'air.

    Jack


    ziggy wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Dave.Dunfield@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website (Dave Dunfield)
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>Ran across that board in Dave's collection and it looks sort of like
    >>>what i was thinking for the 'traditional z80 retro board' ( with the
    >>>extras already on board tho, not the modular idea )

    >>
    >>It's a nice little board - and has quite a bit on it.
    >>
    >>
    >>>Anyone got more details on this little beast? Schematics? Etc?

    >>
    >>I've got the manual up on the site - I do have the full schematic
    >>for it as well, but I haven't scanned it yet (It's large).
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >>dave06a@ Collector of classic pre-PC computer systems.
    >>dunfield. If you have an old 8/16 bit non-PC system in need of a good
    >>com home, please contact me at email address on the left, or
    >> via contact link of this web site:
    >> http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/index.html

    >
    >
    > Cool, if you ever do get around to it, let us know. Id be interested in
    > looking at them.


  5. Re: Quark Z80

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:46:40 GMT
    Jack Crenshaw wrote:

    > As long as we're talking about retro systems ...
    >
    > Anyone remember the "On!"? It was a CP/M system built at the very end


    Howard Goldstein had one of those when he was active in the CP/M and
    Z-System communities and loved it.

    Hal

  6. Re: Quark Z80

    Hal wrote:
    > Jack Crenshaw wrote:
    >
    >> As long as we're talking about retro systems ...
    >>
    >> Anyone remember the "On!"? It was a CP/M system built at the very end

    >
    > Howard Goldstein had one of those when he was active in the CP/M and
    > Z-System communities and loved it.


    What happened to him? I am thinking of the Howard Goldstein who
    was blind, worked for SNET in New Haven, running a DEC system of
    some kind, and was quite active in CP/M. Some of the provisions in
    my LT were put in specifically at his request.

    --
    "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
    the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
    "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
    "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
    More details at:
    Also see



  7. Re: Quark Z80

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:35:17 -0400
    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Hal wrote:
    > > Jack Crenshaw wrote:
    > >
    > >> As long as we're talking about retro systems ...
    > >>
    > >> Anyone remember the "On!"? It was a CP/M system built at the very

    > >end
    > >
    > > Howard Goldstein had one of those when he was active in the CP/M and
    > > Z-System communities and loved it.

    >
    > What happened to him? I am thinking of the Howard Goldstein who
    > was blind, worked for SNET in New Haven, running a DEC system of
    > some kind, and was quite active in CP/M. Some of the provisions in
    > my LT were put in specifically at his request.


    That's him. He is still there, but was caught in corporate buyouts and
    outsourcing so the employer has changed. Equipment failures and changes
    in operating modes (Internet vs dialup BBS) pretty much ended his
    activity with CP/M.

    Hal

  8. Re: Quark Z80

    Hal wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:46:40 GMT
    > Jack Crenshaw wrote:
    >
    >
    >>As long as we're talking about retro systems ...
    >>
    >>Anyone remember the "On!"? It was a CP/M system built at the very end

    >
    >
    > Howard Goldstein had one of those when he was active in the CP/M and
    > Z-System communities and loved it.
    >
    > Hal


    Who wouldn't?

    In many ways, I miss the "good ol' days" when PC's were simple. My first
    usable personal computer was a TRS-80 with no disk drives (cassette
    only) and Level I BASIC. I did all my stuff using aftermarket
    assembly-language tools. I "solved" the problem of slow cassette I/O by
    the simple expedient of leaving the computer on all the time. I only
    used the cassette as a backup tool.

    No UPS in those days, but even during Alabama thunderstorms, I found
    that that big honking non-switcher power supply would carry the system
    through one- or two-second power glitches.

    End result: The computer was 100% dead silent, and whatever I had been
    doing the previous night was still there the next night, undisturbed.

    That's the appeal of the On!. No noise, no booting, no reloading.

    By contrast, the PC clone I'm using now is infinitely more powerful in
    all respects, but I'm sitting here listening to the whirr of not one
    fan, but _THREE_. Not to mention the two HD's, of course.

    Makes me wonder if we've really made all that much progress. I thought
    that progress was supposed to make things easier, not harder.

    Jack

+ Reply to Thread