ZSDOS vs Z80DOS - CP/M

This is a discussion on ZSDOS vs Z80DOS - CP/M ; I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard to (nzcom) Z-System. Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of ...

  1. ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard to
    (nzcom) Z-System.
    Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute
    for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of the two could
    be considered better for the Z-System (or better in general) ?

    Piergiorgio

    P.S. I've no banked memory in use.

  2. Re: ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    On 28 Apr 2006 05:24:21 -0700
    "pbetti" wrote:

    > I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard to
    > (nzcom) Z-System.
    > Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute
    > for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of the two could
    > be considered better for the Z-System (or better in general) ?

    While I am biased, I would recommended ZSDOS since it was written to be
    compatible with nzcom (and tested), and offers more flexibility than
    Z80DOS. The non-banked ZSDOS version 1.x is what you want for this, not
    the ZSDOS2 for the B/P Bios which is banked.

    Hal

  3. Re: ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    Hal wrote:

    >On 28 Apr 2006 05:24:21 -0700
    >"pbetti" wrote:
    >
    >> I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard to
    >> (nzcom) Z-System.
    >> Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute
    >> for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of the two could
    >> be considered better for the Z-System (or better in general) ?

    >While I am biased, I would recommended ZSDOS since it was written to be
    >compatible with nzcom (and tested), and offers more flexibility than
    >Z80DOS. The non-banked ZSDOS version 1.x is what you want for this, not
    >the ZSDOS2 for the B/P Bios which is banked.

    I'll vouch for Hal's and
    Cam's work too -- definitely
    the ultimate DOS package for
    CP/M 2.2 compatible Z-System.
    The source is quite an
    exercise in sound-but-clever
    coding techniques too -- a
    whole lot of functionality is
    packed into those 3.5 kbytes!

  4. Re: ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    Hal wrote:
    > "pbetti" wrote:
    >
    >> I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard
    >> to (nzcom) Z-System.
    >> Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute
    >> for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of the two could
    >> be considered better for the Z-System (or better in general) ?

    > While I am biased, I would recommended ZSDOS since it was written to
    > be compatible with nzcom (and tested), and offers more flexibility
    > than Z80DOS. The non-banked ZSDOS version 1.x is what you want for
    > this, not the ZSDOS2 for the B/P Bios which is banked.

    And I have similar biases for DOSPLUS 2.5, which the associated
    CCPLUS. I wrote these because I was highly dissatisfied with the
    methods of configuring ZCPR, and the features available. My system
    is dynamically configurable, and does not require any reassemblies,
    yet it fits in the exact space of the original BDOS/CCP, but
    requires a Z80. You can find out all about it with various
    downloads from:

    which gives you full binaries, source, auxiliaries, etc. It gives
    you most of the features of CP/M 3, and much better security.

    More details at:
    Also see

  5. Re: ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    CBFalconer wrote:

    >Hal wrote:
    >> "pbetti" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am preparing my system for a migration from CP/M 2.2 standard
    >>> to (nzcom) Z-System.
    >>> Apart from the usage of ZCPR 3.3/3.4 the question is: as a substitute
    >>> for the BDOS is better to use ZSDOS or Z80DOS? Which of the two could
    >>> be considered better for the Z-System (or better in general) ?

    >> While I am biased, I would recommended ZSDOS since it was written to
    >> be compatible with nzcom (and tested), and offers more flexibility
    >> than Z80DOS. The non-banked ZSDOS version 1.x is what you want for
    >> this, not the ZSDOS2 for the B/P Bios which is banked.

    >And I have similar biases for DOSPLUS 2.5, which the associated
    >CCPLUS. I wrote these because I was highly dissatisfied with the
    >methods of configuring ZCPR, and the features available. My system
    >is dynamically configurable, and does not require any reassemblies,
    >yet it fits in the exact space of the original BDOS/CCP, but
    >requires a Z80.

    Exactly the same in those
    respects as ZSDOS/ZDDOS,
    except that ZS/ZD are
    distributed in the ".ZRL"
    relocatable form required
    by NZCOM and are designed
    to interact correctly with
    the ZCPR 3.4 command
    processor and all the
    Z-System conventions that
    evolved over the years. I
    think the most relevant
    difference is that Hal and
    Cam worked in coordination
    with all the other major
    Z-System developers while
    C.B. gestated his babies
    independently -- which if
    one is already committed
    to NZCOM is a disadvantage
    for his undoubtedly fine
    work.

    >You can find out all about it with various
    >downloads from:
    >

    >which gives you full binaries, source, auxiliaries, etc. It gives
    >you most of the features of CP/M 3, and much better security.

  6. Re: ZSDOS vs Z80DOS

    Thanks to all for the suggestions!
    I've switched to ZSDOS successfully and implemented some assembling
    scripts that i think to publish on the web next days. Nothing so
    exceptional but a way to switch easily from one OS component to
    another, cross assembling source code on a Linux machine with zmac
    (linux zmac not the cp/m one).
    Unfortunately ZSDOS migration shows up a bug in deblocking routines
    that i'm trying to fix these days (well... nights is more
    appropriate...).
    I'm also experiencing some strangeness in ZSDOS utilities. COPY
    program, for an example, do absolutely nothing on startup, doesn't show
    initial signon message and return to the prompt immediately.
    Some suggestion on this would be really appreciated !!!

+ Reply to Thread