[OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software - CP/M

This is a discussion on [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software - CP/M ; Hello, I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Hello,
    I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    try then I will give up
    I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    anyone who will try to help.

    Regards

    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  2. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Andrea wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    > unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    > if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    > try then I will give up
    > I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    > for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    > only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    > them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    > to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    > job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    > something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    > anyone who will try to help.

    I have some zip files (about six) of software for the Z100 that I
    downloaded a few years ago, back when Simtel still had Z100 stuff
    on it. I can email one to you and see if you can use it. If it works
    then I can send the rest also... Would you like this???

  3. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    It would help if you would be more specific as to what you are looking for.

    Andrea wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    > unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    > if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    > try then I will give up
    > I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    > for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    > only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    > them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    > to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    > job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    > something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    > anyone who will try to help.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Andrea

  4. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Charles Richmond wrote:

    > I have some zip files (about six) of software for the Z100 that I
    > downloaded a few years ago, back when Simtel still had Z100 stuff
    > on it. I can email one to you and see if you can use it. If it works
    > then I can send the rest also... Would you like this???

    Of course I'd like that, thank you. My e-mail address is
    ga_mete_2005@libero.it (remove 2 underscores). Thanks!

    Regards

    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  5. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > It would help if you would be more specific as to what you are looking for.

    Well, it's hard to be specific on something I don't know
    At first I think I need some OS, I know some versions of CP/M and other
    OSes such as Z-DOS and MS-DOS were available for the computer, If I
    could chose, CP/M and Z-DOS would sound more interesting to me. Then
    some applications, anything would be fine, my aim is not to use the
    computer for real purposes but just to explore what it was able to do
    and what users used to do with it in the 80s...well actually some
    transfer data utilities would be great if it could help to make disks
    backup images to my PC, just in case real disks get corrupted.

    In short, if you had to show a Z-100 machine to someone interested in
    old computers technology, history and social implications, what kind of
    software would you use?
    That's probably the best way to explain what kind of software I'm
    looking for and for what reason.
    I know I am sending back the question to you, but since between me ad
    you you're the only one who really knows the computer that's something I
    think you can handle better than me.

    Regards

    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  6. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    "Andrea" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    > unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    > if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    > try then I will give up
    > I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    > for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    > only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    > them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    > to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    > job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    > something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    > anyone who will try to help.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Andrea
    >
    > --
    > http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

    Andréa.

    A late friend made a CD with disk images. One of the directories on that CD
    is Zenith-100. Within that directory are several subdirectories, including
    CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86, etc. I can't find my copy right now, but I remember
    sending a copy to Barry Watzman for archiving. He might be able to find his
    copy and help you.

    Don

  7. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    I have the CD, but I don't think he has any way of getting stuff from
    the CD to a Z-100 diskette. Nor, at the moment, do I.

    Donald Harris wrote:
    > "Andrea" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    >>unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    >>if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    >>try then I will give up
    >>I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    >>for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    >>only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    >>them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    >>to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    >>job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    >>something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    >>anyone who will try to help.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Andrea
    >>
    >>--
    >>http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

    > Andréa.
    >
    > A late friend made a CD with disk images. One of the directories on that CD
    > is Zenith-100. Within that directory are several subdirectories, including
    > CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86, etc. I can't find my copy right now, but I remember
    > sending a copy to Barry Watzman for archiving. He might be able to find his
    > copy and help you.
    >
    > Don

  8. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    The Zenith-100 was PC compatible. There was a MSDOS version for it. It
    should be able to read PC formatted disks. The one I used had 5.25 disk
    drives and ran MSDOS. If the files can be put on a 5.25 diskettes with a
    PC, they should be readable.

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >I have the CD, but I don't think he has any way of getting stuff from the
    >CD to a Z-100 diskette. Nor, at the moment, do I.
    >

    > Donald Harris wrote:
    >> "Andrea" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I had already posted this request almost a couple of months ago but
    >>>unluckly I haven't reach my goal, so here I am back again...I am sorry
    >>>if this kind of request may sound annoying, I promise this is the last
    >>>try then I will give up
    >>>I acquired a dead Zenith Z-120 and after resurrecting it I am looking
    >>>for some software to see the machine capabilities, as far as I know the
    >>>only way is to find someone that will actually copy some disks and mail
    >>>them to me in Italy, since there seems to be no other way...I am ready
    >>>to pay shipping charges of course and a quite symbolic price for the
    >>>job, if this is requested. I'd really like to see the Zenith do
    >>>something more than the hardware test, so many thanks in advantage to
    >>>anyone who will try to help.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>Andrea
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

    >> Andréa.
    >>
    >> A late friend made a CD with disk images. One of the directories on that
    >> CD is Zenith-100. Within that directory are several subdirectories,
    >> including CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86, etc. I can't find my copy right now, but I
    >> remember sending a copy to Barry Watzman for archiving. He might be able
    >> to find his copy and help you.
    >>
    >> Don

  9. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Donald Harris wrote:

    > The Zenith-100 was PC compatible. There was a MSDOS version for it. It
    > should be able to read PC formatted disks. The one I used had 5.25 disk
    > drives and ran MSDOS. If the files can be put on a 5.25 diskettes with a
    > PC, they should be readable.

    It would be great if that was possible. I suppose, since someone managed
    to make disk images, that those same images can be sent back to real
    disks in a way or another, probably using the same program that created
    disk images. I googled a while and I found out there are some programs
    such as Teledisk and Imagedisk that could be the answer but I haven't
    any experience with them...have anyone tried those programs?

    Regards
    Andrea

  10. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    >> The Zenith-100 was PC compatible. There was a MSDOS version for it. It
    >> should be able to read PC formatted disks. The one I used had 5.25 disk
    >> drives and ran MSDOS. If the files can be put on a 5.25 diskettes with a
    >> PC, they should be readable.

    >It would be great if that was possible. I suppose, since someone managed
    >to make disk images, that those same images can be sent back to real
    >disks in a way or another, probably using the same program that created
    >disk images. I googled a while and I found out there are some programs
    >such as Teledisk and Imagedisk that could be the answer but I haven't
    >any experience with them...have anyone tried those programs?

    Yeah, I've used ImageDisk a bit :-) - it will definately read and write these
    disks.

    I checked my software archives and found two original Heath/Zenith
    diskettes which are labeled:

    Heath Zenith data systems
    MS"TM" -DOS VERSION 3
    FOR THE Z100 PC
    *************************
    MODEL NO. OS-63-31
    S/N 000-0239017-8-05

    DISK I and II

    These look like bog standard MSDOS 3.1 disks.
    I tried disk I and it boots fine on a PIII machine.

    DISK II does contain some Zenith utilities, which appear to be
    specific to the Z100 - mostly hard drive formatting and partitioning.
    Also something called "RESTORE" - several more files that I
    don't recognize and didn't investigate further. I'll append
    directory listings.

    The disks are standard FAT-12 formatted 320k
    (double sided, double density, 8x512) disks.

    Either ImageDisk or TeleDisk will read and write these with no
    problem. These programs are designed to handle ANY disk
    format that the hardware can do.

    Be aware however that there are many other utilities that can
    image FAT format disks - my own XDISK is one of them, as is
    "rawread/rawwrite", "copyqm", "winimage" a host of others ...
    Most of these use a simple raw binary sector dump format,
    some use their own proprietary format).

    If you already have images - they could be in any of the
    above formats. Some guidelines:
    If the filetype is .IMD it is likely ImageDisk .
    If the filetype is .TD0 it is likely TeleDisk.
    If the file is exactly 327680 bytes in size, it is most
    likely a raw-binary dump of the disk sectors.

    Regards,
    Dave

    Here are directory listings of the two original
    Z100 MS-DOS 3 disks that I have:

    Volume in drive B is 890-665-08
    Directory of B:\

    COMMAND COM 23258 12-18-85 1:11p
    ASSIGN COM 1509 05-15-85 12:00a
    ATTRIB EXE 7438 05-15-85 12:00a
    CHKDSK COM 9435 05-14-85 12:02a
    DEBUG COM 15631 06-07-85 10:46a
    SELECT COM 8331 10-08-85 12:29p
    DISKCOPY COM 12619 10-08-85 8:21a
    DISKCOMP COM 2930 10-08-85 8:33a
    EDLIN COM 7261 05-14-85 12:02a
    EXE2BIN EXE 2816 05-15-85 12:00a
    FIND EXE 10579 04-16-85 9:49a
    FC EXE 14576 05-15-85 12:00a
    PRINT COM 8595 10-08-85 9:31a
    RECOVER COM 4050 05-14-85 12:02a
    SHARE EXE 7856 05-15-85 12:00a
    SYS COM 3879 10-08-85 9:32a
    FORMAT COM 10603 12-20-85 10:01a
    CONFIGUR COM 22960 10-17-85 9:30a
    ASGNPART COM 17624 10-04-85 2:41p
    MODE COM 8671 09-05-85 3:29p
    TREE COM 1827 10-04-85 9:32a
    COMP COM 3706 10-04-85 9:31a
    RDCPM COM 4909 06-03-85 1:55p
    SEARCH COM 4343 04-25-85 1:47p
    APPLY COM 1971 07-18-85 8:35a
    CIPHER COM 153 01-31-83 3:21p
    SORT EXE 1664 03-17-85 12:00a
    GRAFTABL COM 1161 06-20-85 7:39p
    LABEL COM 2889 10-08-85 9:18a
    JOIN EXE 8956 05-15-85 12:00a
    SUBST EXE 9910 05-15-85 12:00a
    MORE COM 266 05-15-85 12:00a
    32 file(s) 242376 bytes
    25600 bytes free

    Volume in drive B is 890-666-07
    Directory of B:\

    ANSI SYS 1963 11-15-84 4:41p
    VDISK SYS 2565 06-17-85 3:07p
    PART EXE 24930 10-11-85 9:09a
    PREP EXE 19906 11-19-85 12:32p
    DETECT COM 17476 09-11-85 12:51p
    SHIP COM 914 10-04-85 9:33a
    BACKUP COM 27787 12-30-85 12:28p
    RESTORE COM 26763 12-30-85 12:30p
    LINK EXE 41114 11-14-84 2:48p
    LIB EXE 24138 10-31-84 4:57p
    BOOTF COM 72 08-03-84 3:20p
    NODEBUG COM 18 06-15-84 12:03a
    NOSTACK COM 170 11-13-85 1:50p
    PSCMX80 COM 1456 11-08-83 11:51a
    PSCMPI COM 1394 11-08-83 11:51a
    PSCTS315 COM 1396 11-14-83 11:51a
    PSCP920 COM 816 11-18-83 11:51a
    PSCIDS COM 1367 11-09-83 11:51a
    PSCOKI COM 1369 05-04-84 11:51a
    PSCHPTJ COM 841 03-08-85 4:16p
    KEYBAFR COM 2478 09-17-85 1:00p
    KEYBUS COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBFR COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBAUK COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBUK COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBASP COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBSP COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBAGR COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBGR COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBAIT COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBIT COM 2478 09-17-85 1:01p
    KEYBADA COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBDA COM 2478 01-02-86 9:03a
    KEYBASW COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBSW COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBCHG COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBAUS COM 2478 09-17-85 1:02p
    KEYBNO COM 2478 01-02-86 9:05a
    KEYBANO COM 2478 09-17-85 1:03p
    KEYBCHF COM 2478 09-17-85 1:03p
    KEYBCANS COM 2478 09-17-85 1:03p
    KEYBCANE COM 2478 09-17-85 1:03p
    42 file(s) 250971 bytes
    46080 bytes free

    --
    Dunfield Development Services http://www.dunfield.com
    Low cost software development tools for embedded systems

  11. Re: Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    > Yeah, I've used ImageDisk a bit :-) - it will definately read and write these
    > disks.
    >
    > I checked my software archives and found two original Heath/Zenith
    > diskettes which are labeled [MS-DOS Ver 3]

    Someone reading this thread may have the impression that Heath/Zenith
    Z-100 software and docs aare nowhere to be found, and possibly that
    Z-100's are just not in use. Strictly speaking, that is not so. There
    are a number of people who have Z-100 systems and who have accumulated
    all the software they need. So you don't hear from them very much.
    Occasionally some of them offer their systems for sale or even for free
    - if you pick it up this week before they dump it, and they won't ship.
    That can be a problem when they are several hundreds miles away.

    As to suppliers of Z-100 stuff: I use a Z-120 occasionally. For years
    I've offered a set of Z-110 or Z-120 system disks (CP/M 80 and 86, and
    ZDOS, and utilities) and manual summaries for a modest price plus
    shipping. Details are on this page:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs...th.html#wanted

    I also have original Z-100 manuals and software, same terms, on that
    page. There are costs and difficulties with shipping outside the US
    including forms of payment. For some people, those difficulties or just
    the fact of payment is a limitation.

    There are also a number of Web sites which offer software or manuals
    for CP/M or S-100 systems including items specific to the Z-100 series,
    at no charge for download. A Web search will find them.

    There are a few Heath/Zenith computer specific Web sites. Some of them
    are not very active, some are. Again, a Web search will find them. My
    Web site has an overall list of S-100 relevant sites, which I try to
    keep current:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_point.html

    One comment specific to the current thread is about transferring
    software from Windows/Intel PC's. The oldest ZDOS used MSDOS
    EIGHT-sectored format, 360K diskettes (5.25 inch). Later ZDOS used nine
    sector format. But most early MSDOS FORMAT programs offered 8-sector
    formatting options, so you can with effort create ZDOS compatible
    diskettes on later-model WinTel PC's and write to them. And ZDOS and
    CP/M for the Z-100 series included utilities to read and write disks
    between the two OS's, for obvious reasons. Finally, some of the old
    MSDOS commercial utility programs to read/write CP/M disks offered some
    Z-100 support.

    Bottom line: the tools are out there to move files from modern PC's to
    a Z-100
    system, and to get early system disks to run them. They are available
    in various venues, or from individuals, prices vary from zero on up.

    Herb Johnson
    (don't email me @ gmail, see email addresses below)

    Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1503, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain mirror

  12. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    No, the Z-100 was not PC compatible.

    It did run MS-DOS, but it was a "different" version of MS-DOS than the
    PC ran. The diskette formats were the same and could be read back and
    forth between a PC and Z-100 (yes you could transfer files), but you
    could not boot a PC version of MS-DOS on a Z-100 or vice-versa, and in
    general a Z-100 program would not run on a PC or vice-versa.

    I no longer have any PCs with a 5.25" diskette drive, so I can't even
    transfer files at this point (which would otherwise not be a problem if
    I had a PC with a 5.25" drive).

    Donald Harris wrote:

    > The Zenith-100 was PC compatible. There was a MSDOS version for it. It
    > should be able to read PC formatted disks. The one I used had 5.25 disk
    > drives and ran MSDOS. If the files can be put on a 5.25 diskettes with a
    > PC, they should be readable.
    >
    > "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >
    >>I have the CD, but I don't think he has any way of getting stuff from the
    >>CD to a Z-100 diskette. Nor, at the moment, do I.
    >>

    >>Donald Harris wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Andrea" wrote in message

    >>>Andréa.
    >>>
    >>>A late friend made a CD with disk images. One of the directories on that
    >>>CD is Zenith-100. Within that directory are several subdirectories,
    >>>including CP/M 2.2, CP/M 86, etc. I can't find my copy right now, but I
    >>>remember sending a copy to Barry Watzman for archiving. He might be able
    >>>to find his copy and help you.
    >>>
    >>>Don

  13. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    There is part of your problem:

    "MS"TM" -DOS VERSION 3
    > FOR THE Z100 PC"

    The "Z-100 PC" is not the "Z-100".

    The "Z-100 PC" refrers to the line of PCs that Zenith built after the
    Z-100 that WERE PC compatible. This includes the Z-130 to 190 series.
    These were PC clones.

    However, those machines are not the subject of what started this thread.
    The guy in Italy has a "real" Z-100 (actually, a Z-110/Z-120 series
    machine). That machine is NOT PC compatible, and a "Z-100 PC" series OS
    won't work in a "real" Z-100, or vice-versa. [However, the disk formats
    ARE compatible, and file transfer is not an issue.]

    This was done by Zenith for licensing reasons. Their license for some
    software products originally licensed for the "real" Z-100's applied to
    any subsequent computer that was "called" a "Z-100", so they invented
    the "Z-100 PC" nomenclature. But, in fact, they were very different
    machines. The "real" Z-100's (110's/120's) were not PC compatible,
    while the Z-100 PCs (130's to 190's, and I think that the 286's were
    Z-200's) were PC compatible.

    But this post originated as a request relative to the non-PC compatible
    "real" Z-100's, I believe.

    Dave Dunfield wrote:

> [...]

    > Either ImageDisk or TeleDisk will read and write these with no
    > problem. These programs are designed to handle ANY disk
    > format that the hardware can do.
    >
    > Be aware however that there are many other utilities that can
    > image FAT format disks - my own XDISK is one of them, as is
    > "rawread/rawwrite", "copyqm", "winimage" a host of others ...
    > Most of these use a simple raw binary sector dump format,
    > some use their own proprietary format).
    >
    > If you already have images - they could be in any of the
    > above formats. Some guidelines:
    > If the filetype is .IMD it is likely ImageDisk .
    > If the filetype is .TD0 it is likely TeleDisk.
    > If the file is exactly 327680 bytes in size, it is most
    > likely a raw-binary dump of the disk sectors.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave
    >
    > Here are directory listings of the two original

  14. Re: Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Herb, a correction to your post. You said:

    "The oldest ZDOS used MSDOS EIGHT-sectored format, 360K diskettes (5.25
    inch). Later ZDOS used nine sector format."

    The correction is:

    "The oldest ZDOS used MSDOS EIGHT-sectored format, 320K diskettes (5.25
    inch). Later ZDOS used nine sector format (360k)."

    As far as I know, all versions of MS-DOS subsequent to 2.1 can read,
    write and (with the right switches) format diskettes of both types.

  15. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Charles Richmond wrote:

    > I have some zip files (about six) of software for the Z100 that I
    > downloaded a few years ago, back when Simtel still had Z100 stuff
    > on it. I can email one to you and see if you can use it. If it works
    > then I can send the rest also... Would you like this???

    Hi Charles, thanks for sending me the file of dungeon.
    Since in the folder there was a file with .exe extension I tried it in
    win98 and it works perfectly, it's a text-adventure. At this point I
    think that the programs you downloaded are more generally for PCs of the
    "Z-100 PC"line (which now I know that exists thanks to Barry Watzman
    info in this thread) rather than for the Z-100 CP/M machines. Anyway
    since I am not expert at all with those systems I may be wrong...

    Regards
    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  16. Re: Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Barry Watzman's various posts on Heath/Zenith products are always
    informative. His posts and this thread on Z-100 software reminded me to
    finish a Web page on the Z-100 systems - better called the Z-110 and
    Z-120 as Barry points out. The link below

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/z100.html

    ...is a page which has some bits of info and pictures about the Z-110
    (low profile) system, and a few Web pointers to other Z-100 pages. I'm
    a little surprised at the lack of Z-100 sites on the Web. This was a
    system that appeared in the US military, and at some universities in
    quantity! But one reason you don't hear a lot about it, is because they
    were fairly plentiful as surplus even through the 1990's, so they are
    not particularly "rare" or unusual.

    Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments or corrections to my page; and of
    course some links to other pages with Z-100 content. I'll expand it as
    time and interest permits.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain mirror

  17. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    [cut]

    Hi Dave, I have some news about my situation, I've thought to reply to
    your message since you are the one of the persons to thank for this

    Today finally I received a disk from the previous owner of my Z-120,
    that's the only disk that survived and luckily it works. It boots CP/M
    and there is a eprom program and utilities on it. So at least now I know
    my computer is really in good working conditions, except for drive B
    that doesn't read...
    Since the main problem with this machine is that doesn't seem to be any
    disk image around after trying some programs I used ImageDisk and it
    works! I succesfully made an image of my disk and succesfully tranfered
    it back to another 5,25" disk...and this disk works on the real Z-120!

    So at least now I know there is a way to make disk images of the Zenith
    software, let's see if someone will make some of them, I think that
    putting them on-line would be a great thing for the community, I know
    for sure I am not the only one in Europe looking for some software for
    the Zenith computer.

    So Dave, thank you again so much for developing that great piece of
    software.

    Bye
    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  18. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Andrea wrote:

    > Dave Dunfield wrote:
    > [cut]
    >
    > Hi Dave, I have some news about my situation, I've thought to reply to
    > your message since you are the one of the persons to thank for this
    >
    > Today finally I received a disk from the previous owner of my Z-120,
    > that's the only disk that survived and luckily it works. It boots CP/M
    > and there is a eprom program and utilities on it. So at least now I know
    > my computer is really in good working conditions, except for drive B
    > that doesn't read...
    > Since the main problem with this machine is that doesn't seem to be any
    > disk image around after trying some programs I used ImageDisk and it
    > works! I succesfully made an image of my disk and succesfully tranfered
    > it back to another 5,25" disk...and this disk works on the real Z-120!

    There is a Usenet group dedicated to the Z100: .
    There is *not* much traffic, but if you ask a question there you might
    get some replies. In addition, I thought that Lee Hart knows a lot about
    the Z100 and software. I also think he regulary reads this group...

  19. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Charles Richmond wrote:

    > There is a Usenet group dedicated to the Z100: .
    > There is *not* much traffic, but if you ask a question there you might
    > get some replies.

    I know Charles, in fact that's where I started my research months ago.
    In that group I received the advice to post a message here since that
    group is almost dead and some experts of those machines regularly write
    in this group.

    > In addition, I thought that Lee Hart knows a lot about
    > the Z100 and software. I also think he regulary reads this group...

    Yes in fact about 2 months ago he offered to help me by sending me some
    disks. I disturbed him a couple of times but since I am not willing to
    bug anyone I didn't write him anymore, I suppose he's now too busy/has
    better things to do/is not so interested in helping me. Whatever is the
    case I am not blaming him or anyone here, I'm just a guy who likes to
    play with his old computers and is trying to find some software, without
    much luck as far as now.
    I'd just like there was much more information about the Z100 computers
    in the net and disk images just like there are for other systems such as
    Apple II, C64, TRS-80 and so on, but that's not the case. If you read
    this thread you know that till now it was unsure if disk images of
    zenith disks could be esily created and tranfered back to real disks, so
    at least now I know that this is possible and I think it's a good news
    to share with the community. Maybe one day someone with enough disks
    will prepare disk images for the internet, I only have one image as far
    as now but I am going to upload it to my site, just in case someone will
    need it.

    Regards
    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  20. Re: [OT] Looking for some Zenith Z100 software

    Andrea wrote:

    > Charles Richmond wrote:
    >
    > > There is a Usenet group dedicated to the Z100: .
    > > There is *not* much traffic, but if you ask a question there you might
    > > get some replies.

    > I know Charles, in fact that's where I started my research months ago.
    > In that group I received the advice to post a message here since that
    > group is almost dead and some experts of those machines regularly write
    > in this group.
    >
    > > In addition, I thought that Lee Hart knows a lot about
    > > the Z100 and software. I also think he regulary reads this group...

    I collected my Z100 programs because I too have a Z100. I have *not*
    gotten into using it, because it has a busted power supply. At some
    point in the future, I plan to acquire another power supply for the
    machine.

    > Yes in fact about 2 months ago he offered to help me by sending me some
    > disks. I disturbed him a couple of times but since I am not willing to
    > bug anyone I didn't write him anymore, I suppose he's now too busy/has
    > better things to do/is not so interested in helping me. Whatever is the
    > case I am not blaming him or anyone here, I'm just a guy who likes to
    > play with his old computers and is trying to find some software, without
    > much luck as far as now.

    Lee has his fingers into many pies. I see him post often on the Yahoo
    Group dedicated to the 1802. IMHO you should continue to contact him
    if he has offered you some help. I do *not* think he will see this
    as being "bugged". IMHO.

    > I'd just like there was much more information about the Z100 computers
    > in the net and disk images just like there are for other systems such as
    > Apple II, C64, TRS-80 and so on, but that's not the case.

    ARe you familiar with REMark magazine, put out by Heath-Zenith??? You can
    get some details at:

    The magazine covered the H-8 and H-11, as well as the Z100. You can
    usually find a few issues for sale on EBay. Of course it is *no* longer
    published.

    > If you read
    > this thread you know that till now it was unsure if disk images of
    > zenith disks could be esily created and tranfered back to real disks, so
    > at least now I know that this is possible and I think it's a good news
    > to share with the community. Maybe one day someone with enough disks
    > will prepare disk images for the internet, I only have one image as far
    > as now but I am going to upload it to my site, just in case someone will
    > need it.

    This sounds like a worthy project and one that might someday benefit
    me also. If I come across some who can help, I will contact you. Please
    do *not* be angry with me if I duplicate what you already know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast