A couple of Kaypro 10 questions - CP/M

This is a discussion on A couple of Kaypro 10 questions - CP/M ; Hi All, The hard drive in my K10 went belly up. So... 1. Is it possible to back convert a K10 to use two floppy drives? 2. Does anybody know of a source of MFM drives in the 10 to ...

  1. A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Hi All,

    The hard drive in my K10 went belly up. So...

    1. Is it possible to back convert a K10 to use two floppy drives?

    2. Does anybody know of a source of MFM drives in the 10 to 20 MB
    capacity that won't require a second mortgage on my house? :-)

    Thanks everybody
    Don

  2. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Don wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The hard drive in my K10 went belly up. So...
    >
    > 1. Is it possible to back convert a K10 to use two floppy drives?
    >
    > 2. Does anybody know of a source of MFM drives in the 10 to 20 MB
    > capacity that won't require a second mortgage on my house? :-)

    I have a ST-225 MFM drive (21mb) (here are the specs:
    http://redhill.net.au/d/d-a.html) that works good - is formatted with
    PC-Dos - comes from a 286 system that won't allow a video card to get
    plugged into it. Got any interesting stuff you may want to trade for
    it?

    Bill H - www.ts1000.us

    > Thanks everybody
    > Don

  3. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Presumably you just connect the 2nd floppy (jumpered appropriately) to
    the cable.

    You can find MFM drives on E-Bay. Price varies widely.

    Don wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The hard drive in my K10 went belly up. So...
    >
    > 1. Is it possible to back convert a K10 to use two floppy drives?
    >
    > 2. Does anybody know of a source of MFM drives in the 10 to 20 MB
    > capacity that won't require a second mortgage on my house? :-)
    >
    > Thanks everybody
    > Don

  4. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    I'm afraid my trading stuff is pretty limited. It's the price you pay
    when you move from a large house to a small apartment. I've got a few
    IDE hard drives of various sizes and some PC mother boards and I/O
    cards and that's about it.

    Don

  5. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    That was the first thing I tried. Both drives got selected at the same
    time. It could be a jumper setting on the drives (a pair of TEAC's). I
    also watching ebay to see if anything turns up.

    Don

  6. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Don wrote:
    > That was the first thing I tried. Both drives got selected at the same
    > time. It could be a jumper setting on the drives (a pair of TEAC's). I
    > also watching ebay to see if anything turns up.

    Does the Kaypro have the twisted cable for more than one floppy drive
    (like the PC does)?

    > Don

  7. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    I don't think so. According to the schematic it should us a standard
    cable.

    Don

  8. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    I found the answer to question 1. The answer is NO. The line that would
    be the drive select for the second floppy is the mast reset line to the
    WD1002 controller. Since it is inverted on the adaptor board the normal
    level of this line is LOW. Thats why both drives get selected. The only
    way to fix it is to some how detect the presense of the hard drive and
    if it is not there then treat the line as the second drive select. No
    simple task since the ROM will need to be patched or re-assembled.

    Looks like I need to keep my eyes pealed for a new hard drive.

    Don

  9. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    "Don" wrote in message
    news:1136949559.005046.62990@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >I found the answer to question 1. The answer is NO. The line that would
    > be the drive select for the second floppy is the mast reset line to the
    > WD1002 controller. Since it is inverted on the adaptor board the normal
    > level of this line is LOW. Thats why both drives get selected. The only
    > way to fix it is to some how detect the presense of the hard drive and
    > if it is not there then treat the line as the second drive select. No
    > simple task since the ROM will need to be patched or re-assembled.
    >
    > Looks like I need to keep my eyes pealed for a new hard drive.
    >
    > Don

    If you watch ebay using searh "vintage hard drive" and exercise a little
    patience, you should be able to get a drive at reasonable price, say around
    $20 + s/h. Do you have the disks needed to rebuidl the drive?

    Larry

  10. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Hi Larry,

    I'm watching ebay like a hawk. And yes, I have a set of master disk that I
    can use to rebuild the system.

    Thanks
    Don

    "Larry" wrote in message

    > "Don" wrote in message
    > news:1136949559.005046.62990@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > >I found the answer to question 1. The answer is NO. The line that would
    > > be the drive select for the second floppy is the mast reset line to the
    > > WD1002 controller. Since it is inverted on the adaptor board the normal
    > > level of this line is LOW. Thats why both drives get selected. The only
    > > way to fix it is to some how detect the presense of the hard drive and
    > > if it is not there then treat the line as the second drive select. No
    > > simple task since the ROM will need to be patched or re-assembled.
    > >
    > > Looks like I need to keep my eyes pealed for a new hard drive.
    > >
    > > Don

    > If you watch ebay using searh "vintage hard drive" and exercise a little
    > patience, you should be able to get a drive at reasonable price, say

    around
    > $20 + s/h. Do you have the disks needed to rebuidl the drive?
    >
    > Larry

  11. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    Don wrote:

    > I don't think so. According to the schematic it should us a standard
    > cable.
    >
    > Don

    ---------------
    Then you need to move a berg jumper from DS0 to DS1 on the second
    drive to identify it as #2. These "drive selects" are the way it
    was done before IBM dumbed it down for the masses and the PC.

    -Steve
    --
    -Steve Walz rstevew@armory.com ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
    Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!

  12. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    "Donald Coates" wrote in message
    > Hi Larry,
    >
    > I'm watching ebay like a hawk. And yes, I have a set of master disk that I
    > can use to rebuild the system.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Don

    I know the Kaypro 10 uses a 10MB MFM drive, but is it set up for a full or
    half-height? If you can use either, I noticed a Miniscribe 3425 on ebay for
    about $15. That's a 20 MB HH drive.

    Larry

  13. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    The drives have to be jumpered as Drive 0 and Drive 1 (on some drives
    it's labeled 1 & 2). What you saw suggests that they were jumpered the
    same. It doesn't work the same as a PC drive.

    Don wrote:
    > That was the first thing I tried. Both drives got selected at the same
    > time. It could be a jumper setting on the drives (a pair of TEAC's). I
    > also watching ebay to see if anything turns up.
    >
    > Don

  14. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:47:06 GMT, "Larry"
    wrote:

    >"Donald Coates" wrote in message
    >> Hi Larry,
    >>
    >> I'm watching ebay like a hawk. And yes, I have a set of master disk that I
    >> can use to rebuild the system.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Don
    >>

    >I know the Kaypro 10 uses a 10MB MFM drive, but is it set up for a full or
    >half-height? If you can use either, I noticed a Miniscribe 3425 on ebay for
    >about $15. That's a 20 MB HH drive.
    >
    >Larry

    Original Kaypro 10 drive is full height.

    I have thought about placing a couple of half height hard drives in
    bay, but haven't checked yet to determine if power supply has
    sufficient capacity.

    I recently upgraded to TurboRom 3.4 (thanks Jos) and info indicates
    firmware will support 2 hard drives (up to 112mb total storage with
    TurboRom!)

  15. Re: A couple of Kaypro 10 questions

    In article <6t7ds194hq75djcvu5sr4b2c7hg0ooe7lb@4ax.com>,
    Nospam@nowhere.com says...
    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:47:06 GMT, "Larry"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Donald Coates" wrote in message
    > >> Hi Larry,
    > >>
    > >> I'm watching ebay like a hawk. And yes, I have a set of master disk that I
    > >> can use to rebuild the system.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Don
    > >>

    > >I know the Kaypro 10 uses a 10MB MFM drive, but is it set up for a full or
    > >half-height? If you can use either, I noticed a Miniscribe 3425 on ebay for
    > >about $15. That's a 20 MB HH drive.
    > >
    > >Larry
    > >

    > Original Kaypro 10 drive is full height.
    >
    > I have thought about placing a couple of half height hard drives in
    > bay, but haven't checked yet to determine if power supply has
    > sufficient capacity.
    >
    > I recently upgraded to TurboRom 3.4 (thanks Jos) and info indicates
    > firmware will support 2 hard drives (up to 112mb total storage with
    > TurboRom!)

    Hi,
    I'd be interested in getting the turbo rom files for the
    Kaypro 10.
    If at all possible, could you please mail them to me?

    TIA, Robert

    --
    Wartna dir hilfi...

+ Reply to Thread