z80pack 1.14 released - CP/M

This is a discussion on z80pack 1.14 released - CP/M ; at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/ Here is a summary of the virtual computer system you get with this release: * Lightning fast Z80 CPU, 1GHz clock frequency doable on consumer PC's * Clock generator tunable in 1MHz steps, helpful for video games * ...

  1. z80pack 1.14 released

    at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    Here is a summary of the virtual computer system you get with this
    release:

    * Lightning fast Z80 CPU, 1GHz clock frequency doable on consumer PC's
    * Clock generator tunable in 1MHz steps, helpful for video games
    * Up to 1 1MB RAM, banked into 16 segments with programmable MMU
    - Size of common segment adjustable in 256 byte pages via I/O instruction
    * 4 x IBM 8" SD compatible floppy disk drives
    * 2 x 4mb harddisk drives (CP/M 2, CP/M 3, MP/M 2)
    * 1 x 512mb harddisk drive (CP/M 3, MP/M 2)
    * 1 x serial console port connected to your CRT
    * 5 x serial ports connected to TCP/IP network ports for more MP/M
    terminals and CP/NET networking of multiple systems
    * 1 x serial auxiliary port
    * 1 x printer port
    * 10ms interrupt timer, used for MP/M and RTO's
    * hardware clock, readonly, uses date and time information from the host

    Included are bootable disk images with CP/M 2, CP/M 3 and MP/M 2 with all
    sources for boot loaders and BIOS's. Also included is one 4mb harddisk
    image with the most essential CP/M 2 compatible tools, compilers and some
    games.

    Many additional disk images with OS's sources and CP/M application
    software available for download. All this disk images have been updated
    with the latest OS bits, only the ZIP archives for the source disks are
    not done yet, compressed tar archives are up to date already.

    If you use older OS disks with this new release the emulation might hang
    when executing the BYE program. This is because of modified HALT
    instruction, so that the BYE program works under MP/M too. You need to
    sysgen/copysys the new OS bits to your older disk images. Sorry for this
    inconvenience, but I often forgot to use the -h option and so it's gone.

    Many thanks to Roger Ivie, who helped me track down a bug with unsigned
    chars not properly defined.

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk

  2. Re: z80pack 1.14 released

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 01:08:25 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    > * Up to 1 1MB RAM, banked into 16 segments with programmable MMU

    Typo, it's 1MB banked memory. Actually the MMU is a 8bit register, so it
    could support 255 segments. Is limited to 16 segments because the DRI OS's
    won't support more. It's a constant in the sources and can be changed to
    support more segments if needed.

    > Many additional disk images with OS's sources and CP/M application
    > software available for download. All this disk images have been updated
    > with the latest OS bits, only the ZIP archives for the source disks are
    > not done yet, compressed tar archives are up to date already.

    The ZIP archives with the OS sources are up to date now too.

    > instruction, so that the BYE program works under MP/M too. You need to
    > sysgen/copysys the new OS bits to your older disk images. Sorry for this
    > inconvenience, but I often forgot to use the -h option and so it's gone.

    You also need to copy the new bye.com program to your disks. The
    instructions to halt the emulation now is DI, HALT and not just the HALT
    opcode. This allows to use the program to halt the emulation even when
    running MP/M, that uses the HALT instruction in it's idle routine to avoid
    consuming CPU cycles on the host, when there is nothing to do.

    Udo Munk